OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 03:17:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Seeking opinions as to how to deal with two RC friends  (Read 1320 times) Average Rating: 0
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« on: February 04, 2009, 06:28:15 AM »

I've generally never been shy about raising religious issues, even contentious ones, with friends of either a different Christian confession or religion, but I am a bit wary of doing so with two particular friends.

The first case involves a work colleague named Michael who will be undergoing a 'Rite of Election' at the end of March, and who hopes to be baptised in the Roman Catholic Church on Easter Sunday. Michael is an intelligent and sound-minded individual. His religious history is a bit of a mess. He was, for the majority of his youth, raised Pentecostal. However, his parents tend to switch denominations on a whim. His mother has chosen to remain Pentecostal at this stage. His father was drawn to the Baptist Church, but has since concluded that "all denominations are wrong." Mark's choice to convert to Roman Catholicism seems to have been more motivated by an instinct to settle down in something more "traditional." This move seems to be part and parcel of his general pursuit of life and character stability. Although very intelligent, his religious faith is quite simple. He seems to have had some intense religious experiences as a young youth which to him are irrefutable even if not rationally explainable. He seems to be very happy and at peace with the idea of being accepted into the Roman Catholic Church, and I am a bit wary of disturbing that given the point he is at in his life. He is aware of Orthodoxy, and slightly curious in that every now and then he will ask me about the Orthodox view of a particular teaching he has learnt during his catechism. I am not sure how or if I should take an active approach to Michael--boldly asking him to consider Orthodoxy as the fullness of truth before finally accepting RC'sm--or a passive approach--taking every opportunity he allows to discuss Orthodoxy with him and praying that by God's Grace his "slight curiosity" should develop into something more substantial. The issue that concerns me with the latter is time. Like I said, he is scheduled to be baptised this Easter.

The other case surrounds a long-time friend named Michelle. She was born Roman Catholic. Until about the age of 18 she had never taken her faith very seriously. After about the age of 18 she was dealing with some personal dramas in response to which I advised her to find consolation in God. She ran with this advice it seems, and found the experience positive. Since then she has been a very devoted member of her local parish and has joined a number of committees. She is very simple-minded when it comes to doctrinal matters, so our discussions on matters of faith, which she often initiates herself, are often more spiritual in nature. Lately she has found discontent with her church. She places a great deal of trust in me, and often seeks my advice. But her discontent moreso concerns her perceived religious laxity of the laity and clergy who attend her particular parish rather than anything pertinent to RC'sm in general. I am convinced that should I encourage her to involve herself in some of the meetings and services of my parish that she will feel a whole lot more comfortable and ultimately fall in love with the Orthodox experience. But I feel somewhat uneasy about this plan as if it is somewhat sly even if the intended end result is surely in her spiritual favour. On the other hand, I feel that she is a bit too fragile for me to say or do anything that would clearly convey to her that I am suggesting anything with respect to the nature of her RC faith in general.

I am looking to receive some food for thought as to how to deal with the above two situations to chew on before I raise my concerns with my spiritual counselor.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 06:29:24 AM by EkhristosAnesti » Logged

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 09:53:23 AM »

God bless you on your quest.  I have no answers for you, but I don't want this thread to get buried on the front page, so this is a bump.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 10:12:26 PM »

Offer them the basic book "The Orthodox Church"...they will let you know if their interested

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
VirSpeluncaeOrthodoxae
Da Orthodox Caveman! aka "Cavey"

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch...for now

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 10:24:15 PM »

Offer them the basic book "The Orthodox Church"...they will let you know if their interested

After that, tell them about your Church and if possible bring them. Just be a typical friendly Copt. :-) I would hammer home the emphasis on mysticism whereas Rome focuses on strict legal definitions with rewards and penalties. Also explain why your Patriarch uses the title "Pope."

Medieval, backwards, rigid, narrow-minded Traditionalist, Western Rite lover and proud of it! Make my day.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 12:09:22 AM »

After that, tell them about your Church and if possible bring them. Just be a typical friendly Copt. :-) I would hammer home the emphasis on mysticism whereas Rome focuses on strict legal definitions with rewards and penalties. Also explain why your Patriarch uses the title "Pope."

Be sure to include that Alexandria was the original Pope, beeing GIVEN the title centuries before the archbishop of Rome ASSUMED it.

And yes, I would say play it by ear, but try to get them to attend a service.  Even seeing the Church (depending on what your Church looks like) could help.

I wouldn't recomend "The Orthodox Church" anymore.  But "The Orthodox Way" is still good.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 12:10:20 AM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 12:17:19 AM »

I wouldn't recommend "The Orthodox Church" anymore.

Why not?  Is there something wrong with woman's ordination?
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 12:20:11 AM »

For Michelle, what about lending/giving her a copy of "The Spiritual Life: And How to Be Attuned To It"?

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: