Author Topic: Question about Psalm 50  (Read 2865 times)

Offline HandmaidenofGod

• Archon
  • O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!
Question about Psalm 50
« on: February 04, 2009, 03:40:07 PM »
I wasn't sure whether to put this under Faith, Prayer, or Liturgics, so if the Mods want to move this, I have no problem with that.  :)

Psalm 50 (or 51 for our Protestant friends who may be reading this) is included in the Daily Prayers and various services of the Church. While I love its beauty and its message, I have a question regarding the final verses.

18 Do good in Your good pleasure to Zion;
         Build the walls of Jerusalem.
 19 Then You shall be pleased with the sacrifices of righteousness,
         With burnt offering and whole burnt offering;
         Then they shall offer bulls on Your altar.

How does the Church interpret these verses today, as we no longer offer burnt offerings to God and believe Israel to be the Church Magnificent? (Correct me if I'm wrong on the last part.)

Are we praying for the restoration of the Temple in Jerusalem? Do we believe this was taken care of with the incarnation of Christ?

I guess I'm just kind of confused about the whole thing.  ???

Thanks in advance for your help!

In XC,

Maureen
"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11

Offline scamandrius

• A man of many, many turns
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
Re: Question about Psalm 50
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 03:48:24 PM »
IAre we praying for the restoration of the Temple in Jerusalem? Do we believe this was taken care of with the incarnation of Christ?

I guess I'm just kind of confused about the whole thing.  ???

I will certainly allow that I am not the most gifted person to answer this question so I'll just give you my take.

A verse earlier, the Psalmist writes that "a humbled and broken heart, Thou wilt not despise".  We have to understand that the New Jerusalem is the Church built up by Christ and his work here on earth: incarnation, death, resurrection, etc..   And since Christ came down to lift us up from our infirmities, our humbled and broken heart will now become strengthened so that we can offer the sacrifice, not of bulls and rams, but the sacrifice of praise.  Just as we say in the Anaphora of the Liturgy "An offering of peace, a sacrifice of praise." 

This is just my opinion. I've quoted no Fathers on this so I'm willing to admit that I am quite possibly wrong.
Da quod iubes et iube quod vis.

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 05:31:56 PM »
I wasn't sure whether to put this under Faith, Prayer, or Liturgics, so if the Mods want to move this, I have no problem with that.  :)
Since you're asking principally about the interpretation of Scripture, this is very much a Faith Issue that I see no reason to move to another board. ;)  Thanks for posting this here.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 05:32:18 PM by PeterTheAleut »
Not all who wander are lost.

Offline HandmaidenofGod

• Archon
  • O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 02:25:36 AM »
I will certainly allow that I am not the most gifted person to answer this question so I'll just give you my take.

A verse earlier, the Psalmist writes that "a humbled and broken heart, Thou wilt not despise".  We have to understand that the New Jerusalem is the Church built up by Christ and his work here on earth: incarnation, death, resurrection, etc..   And since Christ came down to lift us up from our infirmities, our humbled and broken heart will now become strengthened so that we can offer the sacrifice, not of bulls and rams, but the sacrifice of praise.  Just as we say in the Anaphora of the Liturgy "An offering of peace, a sacrifice of praise." 

This is just my opinion. I've quoted no Fathers on this so I'm willing to admit that I am quite possibly wrong.

Very good insight, I hadn't read it like that before. I like what you said.

Anyone else have any thoughts?
"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Strategos
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 02:33:24 AM »

Very good insight, I hadn't read it like that before. I like what you said.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

If you don't have a copy, get one of "Christ in the Psalms," by Fr. Reardon.  Unfortunately mine is in storage right now.

I would think that "rebuild the walls of Jerusalem" would be the "go and sin no more" after absolution, the exclamation "The Doors! the Doors!" at the beginning of the Anaphora, the prayers against schism and heresy, etc.
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline Bogoliubtsy

• Archon
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 03:40:19 AM »
As far as "A sacrifice unto God is a broken spirit"...well, I have that tattooed on my arm along with some other images in Church Slavonic..."Zherta bogu, Dukh sokhrushen". I had it marked on my body after my mother died at the young age of 48. My reason for getting it permanently tattooed on my body was the fact that it encapsulated the very basics and basis of spiritual life: In order for God's will to be done, our egos must be done away with. When our spirit or will is broken, and we trust in God's will, then God's will can truly be done and understood. A true sacrifice unto God is the death of our desires, with God's desire substituted in its place.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 03:44:03 AM by Bogoliubtsy »
"When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist". - Archbishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara

Offline Young L da Kid

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2009, 11:07:42 AM »
As far as "A sacrifice unto God is a broken spirit"...well, I have that tattooed on my arm along with some other images in Church Slavonic..."Zherta bogu, Dukh sokhrushen". I had it marked on my body after my mother died at the young age of 48. My reason for getting it permanently tattooed on my body was the fact that it encapsulated the very basics and basis of spiritual life: In order for God's will to be done, our egos must be done away with. When our spirit or will is broken, and we trust in God's will, then God's will can truly be done and understood. A true sacrifice unto God is the death of our desires, with God's desire substituted in its place.

I have a lil blue heart tattooed on my left butt cheek.

Offline Bogoliubtsy

• Archon
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2009, 11:13:26 AM »

If you're reply was stupid and funny it might have worked. As it stands it's just stupid.
"When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist". - Archbishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara

Offline Αριστοκλής

• Merarches
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2009, 11:25:25 AM »

If you're reply was stupid and funny it might have worked. As it stands it's just stupid.

A rare occasion! Bogo and I agree.
"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides

Offline Bogoliubtsy

• Archon
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2009, 11:52:32 AM »
Sorry for the "you're" and not "your".  ;)