OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 07:00:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Photography tips (DSLR)  (Read 1449 times) Average Rating: 0
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« on: January 31, 2009, 03:38:06 PM »

Well, for Christmas, I decided to finally "splurge" and get a DSLR.  Just a Nikon D40 with the kit lens. Nearly a month later and I have been tinkering, but the learning curve is still a tad steep.  Just wondering if anyone who is a professional photographer, an amateur, a hobbiest, whatever, has any tips, no matter the subject matter, about photography with a DSLR.  Information about low night and night shots would be particularly helpful!

Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 03:38:17 PM by Nebelpfade » Logged

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 04:56:15 PM »

Well, for Christmas, I decided to finally "splurge" and get a DSLR.  Just a Nikon D40 with the kit lens. Nearly a month later and I have been tinkering, but the learning curve is still a tad steep.  Just wondering if anyone who is a professional photographer, an amateur, a hobbiest, whatever, has any tips, no matter the subject matter, about photography with a DSLR.  Information about low night and night shots would be particularly helpful!

Thanks!

I hope it works well.  Unfortunately you will not be allowed to photograph any Russian Old Believers with it....no joke.
LBK
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 09:28:40 PM »

Unfortunately you will not be allowed to photograph any Russian Old Believers with it....no joke.

*snort* That figures.  Roll Eyes
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 11:46:59 PM »

Thanks!

If you want to do low light or night shots get a decent tripod and purchase the Nikon ir remote (it is easy to find at a good camera store for under $20).

I would suggest investing in a the S600 speed light. It is a great flash and when you want to upgrade to the S800 it will work as a slave.

Joseph
prodromas
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Under the Green Pope

Greek Orthodox

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 11:50:14 PM »

Unfortunately you will not be allowed to photograph any Russian Old Believers with it....no joke.

[bad joke]
Definitely not with a Nikon Camera.
[/bad joke]
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 11:50:27 PM by prodromas » Logged

The sins I don't commit are largely due to the weakness of my limbs.

1915-1923 Հայոց Ցեղասպանութիւն ,never again,
ܩܛܠܐ ܕܥܡܐ ܐܬܘܪܝܐ 1920-1914, never again,
השואה  1933-1945, never again,
(1914-1923) Ελληνική Γενοκτονία, never again
LBK
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2009, 12:06:40 AM »

[bad joke]
[/bad joke]

Is there provision for a FUNNIEST Post of the Month?  If so, here's my nomination! laugh laugh laugh laugh
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 12:07:18 AM by LBK » Logged
antiderivative
Elder

Faith: Northeastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: A jurisdiction

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2009, 02:45:18 PM »

Hehehe! I also nominate.

If you need more light you can set the shutter speed to 'B' and expose it as long as you like. I have a device that automatically holds down the shutter, so I can eat dinner while it's exposing. Sometimes I'll do it as long as an hour, and once the image turns out, people think the picture was taken in daylight, but in reality I took it at midnight. I think digital cameras come with that same feature, not 100% sure though. A tripod really helps for longer exposures, but I don't have a tripod so I usually use bricks or something.

signature
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 10:01:34 AM »

[bad joke]
[/bad joke]
Wow. laugh Nice turn of phrase; well done.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: