Author Topic: Photography tips (DSLR)  (Read 1545 times)

Offline Entscheidungsproblem

• Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
  • Protokentarchos
    • Amsterdam Declaration 2002
Photography tips (DSLR)
« on: January 31, 2009, 03:38:06 PM »
Well, for Christmas, I decided to finally "splurge" and get a DSLR.  Just a Nikon D40 with the kit lens. Nearly a month later and I have been tinkering, but the learning curve is still a tad steep.  Just wondering if anyone who is a professional photographer, an amateur, a hobbiest, whatever, has any tips, no matter the subject matter, about photography with a DSLR.  Information about low night and night shots would be particularly helpful!

Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 03:38:17 PM by Nebelpfade »
As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS

Offline Elisha

• Protokentarchos
Re: Photography tips (DSLR)
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 04:56:15 PM »
Well, for Christmas, I decided to finally "splurge" and get a DSLR.  Just a Nikon D40 with the kit lens. Nearly a month later and I have been tinkering, but the learning curve is still a tad steep.  Just wondering if anyone who is a professional photographer, an amateur, a hobbiest, whatever, has any tips, no matter the subject matter, about photography with a DSLR.  Information about low night and night shots would be particularly helpful!

Thanks!

I hope it works well.  Unfortunately you will not be allowed to photograph any Russian Old Believers with it....no joke.

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!
  • Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 09:28:40 PM »
Unfortunately you will not be allowed to photograph any Russian Old Believers with it....no joke.

*snort* That figures.  ::)
No longer posting here. Anyone is welcome to email me at the address in my profile.

Offline arimethea

• Getting too old for this
  • Section Moderator
  • Archon
  • Does anyone really care what you think?
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 11:46:59 PM »

Thanks!

If you want to do low light or night shots get a decent tripod and purchase the Nikon ir remote (it is easy to find at a good camera store for under $20).

I would suggest investing in a the S600 speed light. It is a great flash and when you want to upgrade to the S800 it will work as a slave.

Joseph

Offline prodromas

• OC.net guru
  • Greek Orthodox
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 11:50:14 PM »
Unfortunately you will not be allowed to photograph any Russian Old Believers with it....no joke.

[bad joke]
Definitely not with a Nikon Camera.
[/bad joke]
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 11:50:27 PM by prodromas »
The sins I don't commit are largely due to the weakness of my limbs.

1915-1923 Հայոց Ցեղասպանութիւն ,never again,
ܩܛܠܐ ܕܥܡܐ ܐܬܘܪܝܐ 1920-1914, never again,
השואה  1933-1945, never again,
(1914-1923) Ελληνική Γενοκτονία, never again

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!
  • Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2009, 12:06:40 AM »
[bad joke]
[/bad joke]

Is there provision for a FUNNIEST Post of the Month?  If so, here's my nomination! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 12:07:18 AM by LBK »
No longer posting here. Anyone is welcome to email me at the address in my profile.

Offline antiderivative

• Elder
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2009, 02:45:18 PM »

Hehehe! I also nominate.

If you need more light you can set the shutter speed to 'B' and expose it as long as you like. I have a device that automatically holds down the shutter, so I can eat dinner while it's exposing. Sometimes I'll do it as long as an hour, and once the image turns out, people think the picture was taken in daylight, but in reality I took it at midnight. I think digital cameras come with that same feature, not 100% sure though. A tripod really helps for longer exposures, but I don't have a tripod so I usually use bricks or something.
signature

Offline ytterbiumanalyst

• Professor Emeritus, CSA
  • Merarches
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 10:01:34 AM »

[bad joke]
[/bad joke]
Wow. :laugh: Nice turn of phrase; well done.
"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens