OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 30, 2014, 09:54:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which is the Greater Feat?  (Read 1271 times) Average Rating: 0
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« on: January 31, 2009, 12:36:08 PM »

Which is the Greater Feat: Working to satisfy a thousand desires or conquering just one?

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 02:51:45 PM »

Is there any background or context?   Huh

I would stick with "conquering just one."
Jonny

Faith: Inquirer
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

Presently in the Roman Catholic Communion

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 02:55:04 PM »

Why do we aim to satisfy a desire? Desires are earthly and if they come between us and God they must be overcome.
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 05:01:34 PM »

I would stick with "conquering just one."
I disagree. I actually think it's easier (and therefore less of a feat) to conquer just one desire than it is to try to satisfy a thousand.

Why do we aim to satisfy a desire?
An excellent question. What is it that drives us to aim to satisfy our desires?  Why do our desires have such a hold on us? The list seems exaustive:
"I want... a Wii,... an iPhone,..... a cigarette, ......chocolate, ......meat, .......sex,...... food, .......money, .....power, recognition......alcohol....."

Desires are earthly and if they come between us and God they must be overcome.
Do you think that any desire that is not the desire for God comes between us and God?

Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 05:12:55 PM »

Chocolate.  I want Chocolate.  I think God will understand.  That and the Slurpees.  I hope He understands.   Smiley

ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009, 05:18:17 PM »

Chocolate.  I want Chocolate.  I think God will understand.  That and the Slurpees.  I hope He understands.   Smiley
Which do you want more? Chocolate or Slurpees?

Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2009, 06:15:57 PM »

I want BOTH!  I am a glutton.  Pray for me.

ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2009, 06:24:54 PM »

That must be hard work Salpy!
My thesis is that if you conquer these two desires, the need to satisfy all your others will diminish.
I think that's what He means by "My yoke is easy, and My burden is light."
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 06:26:49 PM by ozgeorge » Logged

Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2009, 06:59:13 PM »

I think it depends upon the desire. One could satisfy a thousand small desires in a week: hunger, thirst, bathroom needs, conversation, arriving on time to work, to accomplish a small task like emptying the trash, to check email, to look at the forums, to read the news or folding laundry and the like. In any given day we each have hundreds of small desires that we satisfy without thought.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 07:04:30 PM by Quinault » Logged
Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2009, 07:02:31 PM »

Slightly greater desires are much more difficult to satisfy: to make it thru the day without being sparked to anger/jealousy, to pray even for those you don't like.....

A thousand more complex desires would be much more difficult to satisfy than conquering one in that case.
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2009, 08:09:36 PM »

That must be hard work Salpy!
My thesis is that if you conquer these two desires, the need to satisfy all your others will diminish.
I think that's what He means by "My yoke is easy, and My burden is light."

What can I say?  I'm a slave to my passions.  Pray for me.

Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2009, 08:10:19 PM »

Slightly greater desires are much more difficult to satisfy: to make it thru the day without being sparked to anger/jealousy, to pray even for those you don't like.....

That's a hard one.

ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2009, 09:00:06 PM »

I think it depends upon the desire. One could satisfy a thousand small desires in a week: hunger, thirst, bathroom needs, conversation, arriving on time to work, to accomplish a small task like emptying the trash, to check email, to look at the forums, to read the news or folding laundry and the like. In any given day we each have hundreds of small desires that we satisfy without thought.
I'd count most of those as duties, not desires. I have a duty to feed and water myself and tend to my elimination in order to stay alive. I have to converse in my work (I certainly need to be on time, I need to fold the laundry (although, in reality, my laundry lady does that!). As a moderator, I have to keep an eye on the forum. These aren't really desires, but duties.

ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2009, 09:09:35 PM »

These are certainly desires. When my anger is roused, it always seems to be because I want something that is not satisfied- eg, I want someone to behave a certain way, and when they don't, I get angry. And what's more, I want my "right" to be angry. But I wonder if conquering my desire for anger is actually harder than trying to satisfy it?

LBK
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2009, 09:25:47 PM »

These are certainly desires. When my anger is roused, it always seems to be because I want something that is not satisfied- eg, I want someone to behave a certain way, and when they don't, I get angry. And what's more, I want my "right" to be angry. But I wonder if conquering my desire for anger is actually harder than trying to satisfy it?

Getting angry rarely leads to a resolution of the problem. I am no paragon of virtue, nor a font of wisdom, but "walking away" from situations or people who generate anger in us seems to me to work best. Do not hate them, do not plot vengeance on them (revenge is a dish best served cold, and, at any rate, it has to be implemented in such a way that it is not traceable to him who perpetrates it - i.e. make your first shot a good one, and leave no traces. IOW, don't bother.) Better to wait for fate (or the Almighty) to to their stuff. Why get your hands dirty?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 09:26:00 PM by LBK » Logged
Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2009, 09:32:29 PM »

You would be surprised how much drinking water or eating, or going to the bathroom/taking a shower by yourself can be hindered once you have three kids and Daddy is gone Cheesy i certainly see them as desires! Grin This may seem small to you, and merely being a steward of the body you have. But if you have people/circumstances hindering you even drinking water when you desire to can be quite difficult!

I understand where you are coming from and I am not trying to be argumentative. But I truly believe most people take for granted the simply desires in life, so they don't appreciate them nearly as much as they should. To sit down unmolested and drink 32oz of water in quiet is a strong desire of mine that I rarely have fulfilled. My kids always drink my water before I can get to it Roll Eyes Four people sharing 32oz of water makes for a small drink for mommy (especially when they spill at least half the water on me). And to sit down and eat a burrito without being asked for a bite by wailing and crying is a GREAT desire of mine-again that isn't possible for me. So when either of those things occur I rejoice greatly. I nearly weep with joy when I can take a bath by myself laugh The simple desires in life are to be treasured and lauded like the more complex ones in my view.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 09:37:34 PM by Quinault » Logged
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2009, 09:35:33 PM »

Getting angry rarely leads to a resolution of the problem. I am no paragon of virtue, nor a font of wisdom, but "walking away" from situations or people who generate anger in us seems to me to work best.
Exactly! It actually expends less energy to walk away!

You would be surprised how much drinking water or eating, or going to the bathroom/taking a shower by yourself can be hindered once you have three kids Cheesy i certainly see them as desires! Grin
I frequently baby-sit my younger niece and nephews (ages 4-7), and I know, managing to go to the toilet in the morning is quite an achievement!

LBK
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2009, 09:43:13 PM »

I frequently baby-sit my younger niece and nephews (ages 4-7), and I know, managing to go to the toilet in the morning is quite an achievement!

Hooo! Wait till the girls are teenagers. You'll need to put a mortgage on the bathroom, with all their "beauty" rituals. Mind you, lads become VERY attached to their "thrones".
Tags: passions asceticism 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: