OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 30, 2014, 10:41:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bishop Hilarion at it again, preaching the Orthodoxy of Hell  (Read 2726 times) Average Rating: 0
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« on: January 31, 2009, 12:31:55 AM »

God didn’t create the hell for sinners, they did it themselves

The Russian Orthodox Church’s representative to the European International Institutions Bishop Hilarion of Vienna and Austria, on Interfax-Religion’s request, commented on the recent suggestion of Danish Lutheran theologians to consider the hell and the devil a metaphor and to accept only existence of the paradise.

Meanwhile, the Eastern Christian tradition has never considered the hell as created by God to punish sinners. God didn’t create the hell, free will of people has created it. It exists not because God wants it, but because people keep it existing. They first create the hell on Earth and then carry it on to the afterworld.
http://www.interfax-religion.com/?act=interview&div=62

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 12:49:07 AM »

Amen!

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 01:03:39 AM »

Amen! Amen! Amen!
Peleg

Faith: Orthodox member
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 02:31:38 AM »

Did not Jesus Himself say that hell was created for the Devil and his angels?  So it's true that He did not create it for man but this statement certainly seems to indicate that God did in fact create hell.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 07:53:57 AM »

Did not Jesus Himself say that hell was created for the Devil and his angels?  So it's true that He did not create it for man but this statement certainly seems to indicate that God did in fact create hell.

Where do you see God being identified of the agent of creation in that sentence?

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Michał
['mi:hɑʊ]
High Elder

Faith: Catholic (again!)
Jurisdiction: the Latin Church

"Mother of God, Virgin, by God glorified Mary..."

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2009, 01:14:11 PM »

"These [sinners] shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of His power, when He comes, in that Day, to be glorified in His saints and to be admired among all those who believe, because our testimony among you was believed" (2 Tes 1:9-10).

This passage suggests that the presence of God will be both a reward for the righteous and a punishment (hell/gehenna) for the sinners.
Peleg

Faith: Orthodox member
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2009, 05:01:46 PM »

Where do you see God being identified of the agent of creation in that sentence?

I had never thought of it that way.  I do agree w/ the Orthodox view that the experience of hell is not the result of God actively torturing people.  But this statement by Christ does strongly indicate that God did take an active role in the existence of hell for the fallen angels by the use of the word prepared.  Yet, I guess one could construe this to mean that hell came about as the result of the Devil and company's fall from grace.  But still, that's seems to me to be stretching the rather obvious meaning in Christ's use of the word prepared.  Obviously, no one else in creation could have prepared a place like this, so Who else could have done it but God?
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2009, 05:15:08 PM »

Let me get this straight.  A bunch of Danish Lutheran "theologians" wanted the Orthodox to come to their side to suggest that hell (Hades, Gehenna, etc.) is nothing more than a metaphor?  Lutheranism has come a long way.  Luther, Crusius, Andreae, Chemnitiz and Melanchton would spin in their graves!

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Tags: afterlife Hell 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: