OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 02, 2014, 12:36:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Please pray to help me become Orthodox  (Read 2258 times) Average Rating: 0
new illumined

Faith: Seeking Orthodoxy (Former Jehovah's Witness)
Jurisdiction: United States

« on: January 29, 2009, 09:59:25 PM »

I am having a bad day today and I have no one to talk to. I have been wanting to become Orthodox for about a year now and have made good progress. But some great obstacles are looming.

All my family are Jehovah's Witnesses and if I openly confess that I want to be Orthodox they will shun me, either most of them or all and probably for the rest of my life.  Angry

I am living very far away from a Parish and can't attend the Divine Liturgy or get to know anyone or the priest personally. Sad
I also have a job that makes me work every weekend unless a special request is made making it possible to have a weekend off. Sad

I am overwhelmed and confused. Where do I go? Where will my friends be? What will I do for work? I am single and I think it will really be difficult.

The "pearl of great price" is expensive Undecided

Please pray for me. Or if anyone is out there you can message me with advice.

Sorry for the rant Tongue

-NI

SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 10:09:10 PM »

Bless, O Lord, open the eyes of your servant NI like the Man who was Born Blind and grant NI the patience of Job as NI endures the struggle of joining Your One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church.

Through the Intercessions of St. Paul whose blinded eyes were opened by Ananias in Damascus on the Street called Straight, strengthen your servant NI as he journeys towards the True Faith.

Amen!
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 10:20:00 PM »

May God The Life Giving Holy Spirit Guide You Steps on the right path,to the arch of salvation the Holy Orthodox Church...Amen Amen...
Lord Have Mercy..Amen

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 10:49:57 PM »

I am having a bad day today and I have no one to talk to. I have been wanting to become Orthodox for about a year now and have made good progress. But some great obstacles are looming.

All my family are Jehovah's Witnesses and if I openly confess that I want to be Orthodox they will shun me, either most of them or all and probably for the rest of my life.  Angry

I am living very far away from a Parish and can't attend the Divine Liturgy or get to know anyone or the priest personally. Sad
I also have a job that makes me work every weekend unless a special request is made making it possible to have a weekend off. Sad

I am overwhelmed and confused. Where do I go? Where will my friends be? What will I do for work? I am single and I think it will really be difficult.

The "pearl of great price" is expensive Undecided

Please pray for me. Or if anyone is out there you can message me with advice.

Sorry for the rant Tongue

-NI

May I ask how old you are? Are you self supporting? Single or Married?

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 10:51:18 PM »

Lord, have mercy!

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2009, 11:04:14 PM »

Lord have mercy.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2009, 11:30:57 PM »

Lord have mercy!

You who are at every season and every hour, in heaven and on earth,  worshipped and glorified; O Christ our God, who are long - suffering, merciful, and compassionate; who love the just and show mercy upon the sinner; who call all to salvation through the promise of blessings to come: O Lord, in this hour receive our supplications, and direct his life according to Your commandments.

Sanctify his soul, hallow his body, correct his thoughts, cleanse his mind; deliver him from all tribulations, evil and distress. Compass him about with Your holy Angels, that guided and guarded by them, he may attain to the unity of the faith and to the knowledge of Your unapproachable glory, for You are blessed unto ages of ages. Amen

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
new illumined

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2009, 11:50:11 PM »

I really appreciate those thoughts and prayers. Thank you very much to all that posted. You guys are great, it perked my spirit up.

May I ask how old you are? Are you self supporting? Single or Married?

I think I need someone to talk to. But anyway, I am single, I rent a room at my sisters because I can't afford to pay the high prices of rent in the area on the wages I earn, but other than that I am self supporting, have no bills, and a fulltime job. I have saved up money to move but I don't think it is enough yet. I am 44. I am not sure where to go or what to do Huh The big issue is the thought about leaving all support behind. It is a bit intimidating.

Thanks again everyone
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2009, 01:09:56 AM »

That is all so terribly sad.

We have a similar happening -  a Muslim became Orthodox and in the process his wife and children left him and he was forbidden to set foot in his own home.  Then his brothers withdrew their financial support of his business.  He had a shish kebab take-away and it collapsed.  He spent a month living in the night shelter until we discovered what had happened and arranged a place for him.   He paid a huge price in order to come to Christ from Islam.   But he has persevered and he is still a Christian.   At one time we worried for his life and whether he might not meet with an *accident* but, thank God, that has not happened.

So I truly admire you for the great sacrifices you are making and I wish I were somewhere closer to be your friend and help get you through the crisis.   But I am in New Zealand and so all I have to offer are prayers......   May Christ strengthen you, may His holy Mother protect you and keep you safe.

Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2009, 01:22:05 AM »

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, for the sake of the of the most pure Theotokos, our holy and God-bearing fathers, all of the saints and all angels and archangels have mercy on your servant [bgcolor=#62ff00]NI[/bgcolor].  Guide him safely into Thy One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church!

As far as advice goes, as difficult as it might be you might consider moving closer to a parish.  I really cannot relate to how difficult your situation is at all, but I pray that you would remain faithful to the call home!  May Christ bless those of you who truly give up everything for His sake!
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2009, 03:02:58 AM »

Dear Friend,

As a person who left her home and family to move to a city and state she had never visited before, I can relate to your concerns of needing support, and how important a role family plays.

While I moved away from my family for a job, and you are concerned over losing your family due to religion, the good news is  you will be able to find support in the same place I found support; the Church.

I would encourage you to start taking baby steps to develop a relationship with the priest at the OCA parish you visited. Try to make an appointment with him to meet on your day off. Even if you can't meet in person, you can talk over the phone. While your journey to the Orthodox Church may be longer than some, it is still something that is attainable.

Talk to the priest about doing a "Reader Service" by yourself at home for the weeks you can't get to the Church for Divine Liturgy. Even if you are only able to make it the Church for Divine Liturgy once every other month, that is better than nothing.

The other reason you should consult the priest is that he may know of someone who has a room or apartment you could rent that is closer to the church, or at least outside of your sister's house. Even if he doesn't know of someone today, by making him aware of your situation, he can be on the look out in case anything comes up in the future.

By developing a relationship with the priest, he can introduce you to other people who can build up your network of support. He can also be there for you when you tell your family, and to help you deal with their reaction.

I know it may seem strange to reach out to someone you barely know, and ask them for help. This is what they are here for. To guide the flock, and to lead people to Christ.

God bless,

Maureen

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2009, 07:12:14 AM »

Lord have mercy on the work of Your Hands.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2009, 09:23:51 AM »

Lord, have mercy on Your servant!

Love never fails.
Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2009, 09:46:51 AM »

Lord, have mercy!

Excellence of character, then, is a state concerned with choice, lying in a mean relative to us, this being determined by reason and in the way in which the man of practical wisdom would determine it. Now it is a mean between two vices, that which depends on excess and that which depends on defect.
Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2009, 10:24:44 AM »

Lord, have mercy.

Religion is a disease, and Orthodoxy is its cure.
Robert W
Self-appointed forum herald
Elder

Jurisdiction: Finland

Love is no feeling

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2009, 10:48:20 AM »

Lord, have mercy.
new illumined

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2009, 02:38:14 PM »

Dear Friend,

As a person who left her home and family to move to a city and state she had never visited before, I can relate to your concerns of needing support, and how important a role family plays.

While I moved away from my family for a job, and you are concerned over losing your family due to religion, the good news is  you will be able to find support in the same place I found support; the Church.

I would encourage you to start taking baby steps to develop a relationship with the priest at the OCA parish you visited. Try to make an appointment with him to meet on your day off. Even if you can't meet in person, you can talk over the phone. While your journey to the Orthodox Church may be longer than some, it is still something that is attainable.

Talk to the priest about doing a "Reader Service" by yourself at home for the weeks you can't get to the Church for Divine Liturgy. Even if you are only able to make it the Church for Divine Liturgy once every other month, that is better than nothing.

The other reason you should consult the priest is that he may know of someone who has a room or apartment you could rent that is closer to the church, or at least outside of your sister's house. Even if he doesn't know of someone today, by making him aware of your situation, he can be on the look out in case anything comes up in the future.

By developing a relationship with the priest, he can introduce you to other people who can build up your network of support. He can also be there for you when you tell your family, and to help you deal with their reaction.

I know it may seem strange to reach out to someone you barely know, and ask them for help. This is what they are here for. To guide the flock, and to lead people to Christ.

God bless,

Maureen

This is really good advice and practical. Thank you.
Órëlaurëa
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the midwest

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2009, 07:36:04 PM »

Lord have mercy and guide your servant.

Domine Iesu Christe, Fili Dei, miserere mei, peccatricis.

órë: noun \"heart"\ (inner mind),   laurëa: adjective \"golden, like gold"\ http://www.uib.no/People/hnohf/quenya.htm
sohma_hatori
Earthbending Novice
High Elder

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church

The Blind Bandit

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2009, 10:40:07 PM »

Lord have Mercy!
Panginoon Maawa Ka!

""Pride is not the opposite of shame, but it's source. True humility is the only antidote to shame.""
— Iroh- Avatar:The Last Airbender
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2009, 04:27:28 AM »

Lord have mercy.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2009, 12:20:35 AM »

Lord have mercy on Your servant, New Illumined.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: