OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 04:26:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What to do when there is no Sunday Liturgy?  (Read 1659 times) Average Rating: 0
Vlad
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox, Greek Orthodox Church of America

« on: January 29, 2009, 02:14:28 AM »

So here is the thing. I live in Montana and we don't have much by way of Orthodox Churches. In 05 I was recieved into the Church at a small mission and in 07 our Priest retired. We have not had a Priest since and as such have liturgy about once a month when a Priest from a different city comes into town to celebrate for us.
 So what am I to do on the off Sundays. Coming from a Catholic background it just seems so strange to not have a liturgy on Sunday. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 02:14:59 AM by Vlad » Logged
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 02:23:59 AM »

You can pray the typika/reader's service.
http://www.saintjonah.org/services/horologion.htm

note on that page "how to do reader's services"

Please Buy My Book!

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodo
Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 08:18:21 AM »

I am in the exactly same situation. Fr. Chris comes to the tiny mission parish, ~50 miles from where I live (that's the closest...), only once a month on Saturdays. So, for me, all Sundays are church-free.

I usually just lite two candles in front of the icons in my icon corner, and read those parts of the Divine Liturgy in my Ukrainian Orthodox prayer book that are printed in regular font (skipping the priest's part, which is printed in italics and in red). Also, I play some nice pieces of the Ukrainian liturgical music, fragments from the Divine Liturgy ("Blessed is the Kingdom," "Holy God," the Cherubic hymn etc.). I have these in my computer.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 08:21:10 AM by Heorhij » Logged

Love never fails.
Thomas
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 09:49:24 AM »

I live 52 miles from my parish that I serve as a Subdeacon in.  When due to working a midnight shift, poor weather or family illness my family and I miss traveling to Church, I serve a Readers Typika in my home.  I also do this on feastdays as well prior to going to work.  It is an excellent way to keep the Sabbath when you are unable to have a priest or (due to reasonable cause) unavle to travel the 52 muiles to church on Dunday or major feasts.

When I first enetered the Orthodox Church and was in a Greek Orthodox Parish, the priest there told me to quietly read the Divine Liturgy, however when we moved and attended a Russian orthodox Parish, I learned that the proper  way was to do a Reader's Typika.  When I moved again to another area and now go to an Antiochian Orthodox Church, I have seen the Typika used in the absence of the priest and been encouraged by my own priest to use a Readers Typika for day when I could not get to Church or the priest was unavaialbel.

Thomas
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 09:49:58 AM by Thomas » Logged

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
thetraditionalfrog
Traditional Frog

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 08:00:29 AM »

Personally, I have never had to deal with this issue as there are seven Orthodox parishes where I live. The few times there were not services at my parish most parishioners simply attended Liturgy at another parish.

Nonetheless, here are a few thoughts....

1 - If you have the Horologion you could read Typica/Obedinitsa (I realise not everyone can do this)
2 - Read/pray through the Divine Liturgy
3 - Spend some extra time at prayer and spiritual reading.

“For the honorable Cross and golden freedom!” -Sv Lazar

“Give up everything for Christ, but Christ for nothing!” -Sv Sava
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 12:20:08 PM »

The canonical thing to do  Wink would be to do the morning/evening hours service (which is what I suspect is meant by "typika"). I had to lead Morning Prayer once in our parish on a Sunday when both priests and the deacon were away and we couldn't get a supply priest. I'm surprised the parish doesn't do this as a matter of course.

Funny thing: when we were in Great Falls in August we were there on the weekend the priest was in town and there was Saturday vespers. They tried to talk me into coming to liturgy the next day but I had to tell them I already had an appointment at Incarnation (Episcopal).
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 12:20:27 PM by Keble » Logged
Thomas
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2009, 02:33:50 PM »

The canonical thing to do  Wink would be to do the morning/evening hours service (which is what I suspect is meant by "typika"). I had to lead Morning Prayer once in our parish on a Sunday when both priests and the deacon were away and we couldn't get a supply priest. I'm surprised the parish doesn't do this as a matter of course.

Funny thing: when we were in Great Falls in August we were there on the weekend the priest was in town and there was Saturday vespers. They tried to talk me into coming to liturgy the next day but I had to tell them I already had an appointment at Incarnation (Episcopal).

In parishes where Orthros is served before the Divine Liturgy, Morning prayers are still served followed by the Typika Service which actually is the replacement for the Divine Liturgy. In the home one would either do a readers Orthros or more usual the Typika follows the Ninth Hour and contains the Typical Psalms (Psalms 102 and 145) and the Beatitudes that would otherwise have been done as part of the three antiphons of the Liturgy of the Catechumens. One would find the text for this service in the Liturgika and Horologia available in various jurisdictions. Russian and Antiochian practice  arrange the service slightly differently.

Thomas
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 02:39:35 PM by Thomas » Logged

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2009, 03:26:14 PM »

I live 52 miles from my parish that I serve as a Subdeacon in.  When due to working a midnight shift, poor weather or family illness my family and I miss traveling to Church, I serve a Readers Typika in my home.  I also do this on feastdays as well prior to going to work.  It is an excellent way to keep the Sabbath when you are unable to have a priest or (due to reasonable cause) unavle to travel the 52 muiles to church on Dunday or major feasts.
Works pretty well when a major snow storm confines you to your house and/or makes it necessary for your priest to cancel services.  This actually happened to me the Sunday before (NC) Christmas.
Vlad
Elder

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2009, 04:18:23 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions and links folks.
Vlad
Elder

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2009, 04:21:40 PM »

I am in Missoula but as far as I know the Great Falls Greek Church hasn't had a resident priest in at least 5 years. Montana (except for Butte) is terrible OC territory. It's like the USSR there are no Priests and no liturgies. Angry
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2009, 05:27:04 PM »

I am in Missoula but as far as I know the Great Falls Greek Church hasn't had a resident priest in at least 5 years. Montana (except for Butte) is terrible OC territory. It's like the USSR there are no Priests and no liturgies. Angry

More like 7 years or more on Great Falls not having an EO priest.  However, I don't think Montana is like the USSR for the lack for priests.  Out home for the most part they don't come, or they don't stay.  It's not like there are priests hiding in the mines or up in the high ranges or out on ranches in the plains.  Butte was established in the hey-day of the Anaconda Copper and the mining with enough Serbian miners to build a parish.  But without support or encouragement or something from the jurisdiction HQ, I don't think you can blame Montana.

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Tags: missions 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: