Author Topic: Way to Nicaea  (Read 1726 times)

Offline Anastasios

• Webdespota
  • Administrator
  • Merarches
  • St. Chrysostomos the New
    • AnastasiosHudson.com
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist
Way to Nicaea
« on: September 28, 2003, 04:14:23 PM »
Anyone read The Way to Nicaea by Fr John Behr?  I am finding it to be quite a hard read but quite worthwhile.  Here are the chapters I have read so far:

1: The Tradition and Canon of the Gospel according to the Scriptures
2: The Scriptural Christ
3: St Ignatius of Antioch

Five more to go after that!  I'll post some of my notes later.

anastasios
Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism and may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.

Offline katherine 2001

• High Elder
  • Eastern Orthodox Church--Established in 33 A.D.
Re:Way to Nicaea
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2003, 08:52:34 PM »
Anastasios, did you like this book?  I am thinking of buying it when I can afford to buy another book.  I really enjoyed his programs on the 7 Ecumenical Councils on "Come Receive the Light".

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
Re: Way to Nicaea
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 06:34:17 AM »
I'll post some of my notes later.

Ok, I've checked in with this thread at least once a week for nearly 10 years now, and I'm starting to think you aren't going to post these notes...  ???

Offline NightOwl

• High Elder
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 09:29:47 AM »
 ;D

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2014, 10:11:27 PM »
Over the last few months I've listened to 8-10 talks given by Fr. John Behr and I've really enjoyed them. Every once in a while he says something that seems to be quite disputable, but in general I find his way of looking at things to be a huge breath of fresh air. There are about a half dozen people who give me hope that this Christianity thing will somehow work out for me, and he's one of them. I think I still have his Male, Female, and the Human Person (Part 1, Part 2) on my Mp3 player, even though I've probably listened to it a half dozen times by now.

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me Sts. Mina & Kyrillos for my interviews
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2017, 06:30:19 PM »
I read this book and the book on Diodore and Theodore, which is connected to this book and the books on the Nicene Faith.

It is indeed very difficult, but I think he has a valid thesis on the Christian faith.  He takes us back to the source of our faith:  the Scriptures.  But we have to understand in what way should one "exegete"?  It's not enough just to say through Christ.  In what way should one exegete through Christ?  What does it mean when Jesus said "Moses wrote of me"?

He tackles this question head on and is not afraid to even point out certain revered people or councils to have problematic theology and exegesis (for example Justin Martyr or the Council of Antioch 268/9), and deals fairly even those who were pronounced heretics and compares their writings so some other more revered theologians with similar wordings.

He certainly disagrees with other theologians who looked for other ways to determine proper theology, and took an implied swipe at Metropolitan John Zizioulas for his thesis on "Communion as Being" (if I would take a guess, he would probably accuse Metropolitan John of "mythologizing" more than Scripturally theologizing).

Which leads to Diodore and Theodore (a more expensive book unfortunately).  It is a prerequisite that one should read "the Way to Nicea" AT LEAST before reading Diodore and Theodore.  He summarizes his thesis again in the first chapter, regarding exegesis and its connection to theology.

Fr. John Behr wants us to think purely Scripturally when it comes to theology.  Christology and Trinitarianism must be Scriptural (in the sense of the Old Testament).  This is what separates the New Testament and Ignatius of Antioch from Marcion and Valentinus, Irenaeus from Justin Martyr, Sabellius from Hippolytus, Antioch 268/9 from Origen, and later on Diodore/Theodore from Gregory the Theologian and Gregory of Nyssa.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 06:31:45 PM by minasoliman »
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.