OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 11:16:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OCnet Quotable Quotes  (Read 49374 times) Average Rating: 5
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #315 on: February 07, 2013, 12:03:11 PM »

Man, when I converted to Orthodoxy it was because I was convinced of its Truth, which is alive and beautiful and life bearing, not because it gave me a place to live out weird fantasies that seem to always come back to women, sexuality, and clothing.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL ORTHODOX CHURCH
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #316 on: February 07, 2013, 04:06:26 PM »

I'll be honest, I feel I'm the most confused in this thread.  Huh

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #317 on: February 07, 2013, 04:37:59 PM »

Nobody mentioned my post in the alien abductions thread yet about heterodox vs. Orthodox alien abduction stories  Angry

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #318 on: February 07, 2013, 04:39:36 PM »

Nobody mentioned my post in the alien abductions thread yet about heterodox vs. Orthodox alien abduction stories  Angry

It wasn't that good and neither is 94% of the stuff in this thread.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #319 on: February 07, 2013, 04:43:22 PM »

Make that 95% now.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

« Reply #320 on: February 07, 2013, 04:45:26 PM »

Make that 95% now.

96% actually

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #321 on: February 07, 2013, 04:52:15 PM »

Make that 95% now.

96% actually
96.3% actually.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
dcommini
Tha mi sgulan na Trianaid
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #322 on: February 07, 2013, 09:01:24 PM »

Make that 95% now.

96% actually
96.3% actually.

Hey look, James, you got quoted in this thread!  Grin

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #323 on: February 08, 2013, 09:45:13 AM »

If you believe that we are no longer taught through men in any sense, then through whom were you taught?
Nuns.

On a OC.net diet.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #324 on: February 09, 2013, 12:43:51 AM »

Hello Rastafarians ... <wave>

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
dcommini
Tha mi sgulan na Trianaid
OC.net guru

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #325 on: February 10, 2013, 07:32:06 PM »

I dont really want to go but do because I
feel I want to be witb her. Our lives are divergjng .....
Welcome to marriage scooter. My wife often performs in community theater. Not entertaining neil simon stuff, musicals. Show tunes and all. A bunch of middle aged, never will be primadonnas prancing and screeching. I am there every opening night. I hate it. I love my wife, so I am there. My inlaws? My father in law is a very bigoted pentacostal minister. Last time he came over he shared with me intimate details of his sex life. I'd rather eat a bug than answer the phone when he calls. I love my wife so when she goes to visit. I go. When they visit. I entertain my father in law. You want to be married? You gotta show up for the marriage even if it makes your ears bleed.

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #326 on: February 11, 2013, 01:29:07 PM »

From Vamrat:
I disagree with this "all things in moderation" fad.  I try not to get moderated on my posts...

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
mabsoota
Archon

Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #327 on: February 11, 2013, 05:01:43 PM »

ha ha ha! that is an awesome way of looking at moderation!

edit: and another quote re: pope benedict:

Maybe the Pope is resigning so he can become Orthodox Smiley
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 05:27:11 PM by mabsoota » Logged
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #328 on: February 12, 2013, 03:54:52 PM »

Does the Pope get to eat meat during Lent?  He already gave up the Papacy for Lent.

On a OC.net diet.
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #329 on: February 14, 2013, 03:10:56 PM »

mono or mia, either way you're slang for disease or disorder.

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Romaios
Archon

Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #330 on: February 16, 2013, 10:48:32 AM »

Is it because there is not bling enough in Orthodoxy that ye seek bling elsewhere?
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #331 on: February 16, 2013, 11:05:19 PM »

He is anathematized, and under the condemnation of the last four Ecumenical Councils and all the Fathers of Orthodoxy.

You may erase him from your diptychs, but since you are not a bishop the erasure is of little import.
Dominika
Serbian/Polish
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Poland

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #332 on: February 24, 2013, 07:05:14 AM »

Here is one of St. (in the Catholic Church, anyhow) Kolbe with the Theotokos and Christ. For the longest time I thought that was God the Father with glasses on.

It really made me laugh. Especially becasue Maximilian Kolber is very venerated in Poland

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Merarches

« Reply #333 on: February 26, 2013, 12:08:29 AM »

Ah, their new Anathema collection.

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Merarches

« Reply #334 on: February 26, 2013, 01:08:47 AM »

Maybe it's just the health profession in me, but my God, more than the possibly notorious use of crosses and icons as fashion, these women really need to eat.

PS LOL at choy's comment!

I guess we can ask two of these ladies to stand in front of our Paschal procession.  No need for banners on a pole.

minasoliman
Section Moderator
Merarches

« Reply #335 on: March 01, 2013, 03:36:22 PM »

Both Choy and CoptoGeek deserve to be quoted here:

sooooooo.....
.....how about that conclave, eh?

Have you signed your "March Madness: Sweet Sistine Papal Bracket"?  Grin

Leeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet's get ready to conclave!

« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 03:36:44 PM by minasoliman » Logged

OrthoNoob
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #336 on: March 02, 2013, 09:55:04 PM »

Theology of spoon  Huh Roll Eyes

http://avengingredhand.wordpress.com -- My blog

'These words I, Leo, have set down for love and as a safeguard of the Orthodox Faith'
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #337 on: March 05, 2013, 11:33:41 AM »

Political quote removed

Please do not quote Private-Forum posts to the Public Forum.

- PtA

Text of quote can be read here: http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,50304.msg892509.html#msg892509 (If you don't have access to the Private Forum, you won't be able to follow this link.)

Selam
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 01:50:05 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Merarches

« Reply #338 on: March 05, 2013, 09:16:45 PM »

Hey Gebre...what you can do is post the link to the actual post, but not the quote.  This way, people who don't have access won't be able to read it.

Eastern Mind
Hi! I'm Olaf and I like warm hugs!
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Hopeful
Jurisdiction: Greece

« Reply #339 on: March 05, 2013, 09:19:27 PM »

Here is one of St. (in the Catholic Church, anyhow) Kolbe with the Theotokos and Christ. For the longest time I thought that was God the Father with glasses on.

It really made me laugh. Especially becasue Maximilian Kolber is very venerated in Poland

HAHA!  laugh

"ALL THE GODS OF THE HINDUS ARE DEMONS HAHAHAHAHA!!"
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #340 on: March 06, 2013, 06:39:39 AM »

You know, a less freindly soul wpould point out that last year a photo of Tom Hanks taking part in a GO Good Friday procession was posted all over the orthodox net-world...but none of you kvetched that he "only did it for pubilicity". Could it be that some of the guys posting here have hade the same kind of fantasies about Miss Aniston that I've had about Tom Hanks?
get over it guys...
SHE"S NOT GOING TO MARRY ANY OF YOU

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #341 on: March 08, 2013, 07:38:14 AM »

All of the College of Cardinal electors were appointed by either Pope Benedict XVI or Pope John Paul II.  Both popes were committed to the holiness of the Tridentine Mass.  I doubt that the next pope will retreat on their actions to promote regular parish celebration of the Tridentine Mass.

It is counter to the unity of the Roman Church to have two parallel Liturgies running side-by-side.  It only makes those heretic schismatics continue their charades and pretend to be part of the Church when they think everyone else outside of their delusional group as "invalid" and "heretic".
Your new church classifies all Latins as "heretic schismatics." why single out the sspx?

It's a position I held as a Roman Catholic and as an Ukrainian Catholic.  Why change now? Wink

Hmmm ... hopefully your plan isn't to be one of those Orthodox who constantly have their fingers in the Catholic "pie". I think we have enough of that already with podkarpatska and ialmisry.  Roll Eyes

Let me get this straight.  So you are, as an RC, posting on an Orthodox forum thus putting your fingers in the Orthodox "pie" by criticising an Orthodox Christian for having their finger in the "Catholic pie" by responding to RC claims posted on an Orthodox forum.

Roll Eyes  Roll Eyes  Roll Eyes  Roll Eyes  Roll Eyes  Roll Eyes  Roll Eyes  Roll Eyes  Roll Eyes   Tongue

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Merarches

« Reply #342 on: March 11, 2013, 09:57:46 PM »

If we did not wear clothes, would you really want to sit in the same chair in which some one else just sat?

Side note: At the beginning of every school year, when discussing the dress code with my students, I always make the following announcement:

"To all of the gentle men who like to "sag" their pants, and to all of the ladies who like to wear short shorts, I would like to remind you that the chairs in this classroom are never washed. Consider that before selecting your outfit every morning."

mabsoota
Archon

Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #343 on: March 12, 2013, 06:01:43 PM »

Grin

sooooooo funny!
William
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #344 on: March 16, 2013, 02:06:31 PM »

God help us if one of these is right, because the chances of successfully parsing this out are materially zero.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #345 on: March 16, 2013, 02:34:29 PM »

Or do you not know that Joe will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither Joe nor Joe nor Joe nor Joes who have sex with Joe nor Joe nor Joe nor Joe nor Joe nor Joe will inherit the kingdom of God.

-1 Corinthians 6:9-10

Dominika
Serbian/Polish
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Poland

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #346 on: March 22, 2013, 09:15:28 AM »

Before Roman Catholics start using our lung, maybe they should try focusing on the cancerous outgrown known as protestantism in their own lung.  Grin

And I definitely agree with that.

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #347 on: March 22, 2013, 04:36:16 PM »

Try not to be too harsh.  Understanding the human mind and heart is often a difficult and futile undertaking.  There is much that is beyond most of us.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #348 on: March 23, 2013, 04:22:47 PM »

Have you ever heard of pasadi?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Merarches

« Reply #349 on: March 25, 2013, 02:15:41 PM »

Choy is no longer Catholic, but is not yet Orthodox.

This makes me feel like Britney Spears.

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #350 on: March 25, 2013, 03:10:13 PM »

I thought amartin was better.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #351 on: March 25, 2013, 03:30:39 PM »

You have to be kidding. When it comes to absolutely silencing Protestants and RCs, no one can beat Pasadi's metaphors or scientific evidences.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #352 on: March 25, 2013, 03:52:56 PM »

Not even in the same airline brah

– St. Ambrose of Milan
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #353 on: March 26, 2013, 03:45:27 PM »

*shrugs* Muhammed was wrong.

He sure was, but this does not change the fact that he established Islam in rivalry with Judaism: Mecca vs Jerusalem, Cube vs Temple, Ishmael vs Isaac, Islamic Law (Shariah) vs Mosaic Law....

Cube vs Temple is probably one of the  greatest lines ever uttered on OC.net.
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #354 on: March 26, 2013, 05:19:27 PM »

Any homemade remedies for a migraine?

If you have a wife - a wife.

I think he was looking for ways to heal migraines, not ways to get them...  Cool

On a OC.net diet.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #355 on: March 28, 2013, 06:39:32 PM »

I'm pretty sure normal folks outside of internet don't really bother to think "problems" like this. The only place this matters is Jerusalem where they have their annual olympics of Christian behaviour.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #356 on: March 30, 2013, 10:43:09 AM »

I came to this website with the hopes of saving souls, and as far as I can tell I'm not doing a good job

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

« Reply #357 on: March 30, 2013, 03:20:57 PM »

I'm confused. Especially with the thing about the aliens.

Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #358 on: March 31, 2013, 11:54:57 AM »

you are correct that crossing ones self with three fingers, is a heresy;

On a OC.net diet.
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Merarches

« Reply #359 on: March 31, 2013, 03:46:08 PM »

Yeah, but they're lost. Because after Constantine, the Church became liturgical and started worshipping idols. The true Church--which consisted in random people with different beliefs coming together for 45 minutes every Sunday in someone's house for "Bible-studies"--was "forced underground" as the corrupted Constantinian Church started worshipping idols and indulging in all sorts of heretical doctrines like the literal presence, the concept of Sacraments, Monasticism and "traditions of man." The true Church wasn't rediscovered until the 16th century thanks to this German guy.

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: