OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 20, 2014, 10:45:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OCnet Quotable Quotes  (Read 60426 times) Average Rating: 5
TheMathematician
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: American

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #135 on: January 10, 2012, 06:06:48 PM »

another private

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,42213.msg691611.html#msg691611

and lets be honest, im putting this ehre for the picture
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 06:07:37 PM by montalo » Logged
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #136 on: January 12, 2012, 02:51:37 PM »

Asteriktos already did a great job explaining this, so I'll be short.

To me, a "tradition of God" is something that draws us closer to Christ, or has scriptural basis. For example, iconography has its roots in the Old Testament.

A tradition of man can be a simple cultural exchange that doesn't really have a lot of dogmatic meaning to it.

For example, it is tradition amongst Ukrainians that when someone important comes to your home you greet them with bread and salt. Ukraine is known for her wheat (the yellow in the flag represents the wheat, the azure the sky) and bread and salt are sort of "here, you need this to live, so we give it to you while wearing ridiculous costumes!" (say it with Slavic accent and it becomes funny)

("Why must we wear such funny hats?!")

("Here is your last meal before you will be arrested for standing up for democracy!")

(Don't they know carbs are out?! Protein is in!)

Because of this tradition, whenever a Bishop visits a parish, the first thing that happens is they are greeted by the young girls in the parish in said ridiculous costumes with bread and salt.

Now, if we did not do this, would we go to hell? My Ukrainian Baba says yes, but her opinion is not relevant to this discussion.  Wink

The true answer, is no. It's a custom of man.

emphasis mine
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #137 on: January 16, 2012, 09:48:49 PM »

Private, so only link:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,42003.msg694524.html#msg694524

Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #138 on: January 17, 2012, 09:24:25 AM »

I believe the Macedonians speak Bulgarian and so their liturgy would be in Church Slavonic

Macedonians speak <gasp> Macedonian. 

Ethnic group X must speak language Y (due to refusing to recognize language X due to petty nationalistic squabble) and therefore their liturgy must be in language Z (which is neither X nor Y).  Orthodox logic FTW! 

Masterpiece!
FountainPen
Is not wasting any more of her ink
OC.net guru

« Reply #139 on: January 17, 2012, 05:48:55 PM »

I thought you were a Protestant. My error.

I am still laughing as i repost this.

None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try. Mark Twain
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #140 on: January 31, 2012, 12:58:14 PM »

This problem exists in many EO parishes as well.  I have gotten to know a number of lifelong members (cradles) since converting, and many of them know almost nothing about the distinctive features of the faith.  Words like Theosis elicit a blank stare, while an understanding of the differences between Orthodoxy and Roman Catholicism is almost non-existent.  And these are not only people from the Old Country, but people born and raised in the Church here.

A lot of converts like myself converted to Orthodoxy after years of study, reading numerous books on Orthodox history and theology which convinced us of the truth of the Orthodox faith.  It comes as a bit of a shock after joining a parish to discover that people born into the Church, and being active in a parish for decades, have little knowledge of terms like prelest, Orthopraxy, the Christological controversies of the early Church, the Orthodox view of the Atonement, and all the other subjects we discuss here on the forum.

Of course I am not questioning their commitment or personal piety, but it is still quite surprising to experience. 

I know it was a bit jarring for me, the first time I attended coffee hour, to find that - in fact - not everyone present (indeed, almost no one) was talking about the usual subjects posted about on OC.net.
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #141 on: February 02, 2012, 08:03:45 PM »

Son of a gun!

OC.net starts a thread about the need for a letter from the EA and... BANG... later that same day the letter appears on the EA's web site.

Now THAT is power!!!  Careful how you use it.   Wink
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #142 on: February 04, 2012, 02:20:02 PM »

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,42818.msg704833.html#msg704833

From Private Fora.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #143 on: February 10, 2012, 01:05:39 PM »

4)About the repetition of the Jesus prayer, as you said the snail got into the ark by perseverance...
TheMathematician
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: American

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #144 on: February 22, 2012, 09:12:29 AM »

a good ole fashioned private fora, but too good to not post
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,43050.msg712882.html#msg712882
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #145 on: February 28, 2012, 07:57:59 PM »

Instant classic.

PS  The drinking age in the US is 21.

Pagan country.

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Eastern Mind
Hi! I'm Olaf and I like warm hugs!
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Hopeful
Jurisdiction: Greece

« Reply #146 on: February 28, 2012, 08:10:58 PM »

LOL

"ALL THE GODS OF THE HINDUS ARE DEMONS HAHAHAHAHA!!"
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #147 on: February 29, 2012, 06:53:23 AM »

Are anybody actually following that?

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Merarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #148 on: February 29, 2012, 10:22:11 AM »

In public - more often than not.  There is plenty of underaged drinking, but it is usually punished. 

But the overriding concept of American law is this: Cop didn't see it, I didn't do it.

Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #149 on: February 29, 2012, 12:21:40 PM »

In public - more often than not.  There is plenty of underaged drinking, but it is usually punished. 

But the overriding concept of American law is this: Cop didn't see it, I didn't do it.

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
ironchapman
A bull of truth in the china shop of falsehoods.
High Elder

Faith: Serious inquirer into Orthodoxy.

« Reply #150 on: February 29, 2012, 06:23:03 PM »

I submit the following from the recent Free-for-All Religious Topic thread about Ecumenism. The topic is whether Christ was able to be tempted or not:

Sometimes, I fancy myself rather clever. Then someone talks christology and I am mindblown.

Well said, akimori, well said.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." --Bertrand Russell
ironchapman
High Elder

« Reply #151 on: February 29, 2012, 06:23:42 PM »

In public - more often than not.  There is plenty of underaged drinking, but it is usually punished.  

If this wasn't already in the Quotable quotes thread, I'd put it there. Tongue

Though I never willfully or knowingly tasted alcohol outside of mouthwash before I was 21 (though I'm pretty sure I had rum balls once, but I was never sure just what they were made of). I was raised Methodist, and they use grape juice for communion. I had my first alcoholic beverage in the Cheers bar in Boston, as I intended it.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 06:26:03 PM by ironchapman » Logged

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." --Bertrand Russell
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #152 on: March 01, 2012, 12:29:55 AM »

Though I never willfully or knowingly tasted alcohol outside of mouthwash before I was 21 (though I'm pretty sure I had rum balls once, but I was never sure just what they were made of). I was raised Methodist, and they use grape juice for communion. I had my first alcoholic beverage in the Cheers bar in Boston, as I intended it.
Did everybody there know your name?
ironchapman
High Elder

« Reply #153 on: March 01, 2012, 01:13:18 AM »

Did everybody there know your name?
How I wish they did. Tongue

William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #154 on: March 01, 2012, 02:01:53 AM »

I've never drank, but pretty much every single other person my age I know has. All the parties have beer. So no, not really.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #155 on: March 01, 2012, 02:19:43 AM »

I'm going to drink for the first time when I can finally receive the Eucharist

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #156 on: March 01, 2012, 02:20:50 AM »

I submit the following from the recent Free-for-All Religious Topic thread about Ecumenism. The topic is whether Christ was able to be tempted or not:

Sometimes, I fancy myself rather clever. Then someone talks christology and I am mindblown.

Awesome. I finally made it into this thread, haha.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #157 on: March 01, 2012, 04:43:45 AM »

I've never drank, but pretty much every single other person my age I know has. All the parties have beer. So no, not really.
I just think it's funny. I first tasted alcohol when I was 13, the traditional age for danes(though many children below that age have tasted alcohol). There is no drinking age in Denmark so it's pretty foreign to us. Smiley

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
ironchapman
High Elder

« Reply #158 on: March 01, 2012, 05:21:52 AM »

Awesome. I finally made it into this thread, haha.

I also made sure to put that quote up on my Facebook and Twitter. I was very amused, because I have been in the same situation. Tongue

mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #159 on: March 02, 2012, 02:11:31 PM »

I'm glad that you are advocating the eradication of four part harmony and Western-style choral music.  No need for Rachmaninoff's  compositions in the Orthodox Church.

When modernising and westernising of liturgical music happen in Holy Russia, it is with the guidance of the Holy Spirit.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Merarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #160 on: March 02, 2012, 02:55:02 PM »

I'm not even sure I would consider that "drinking".  But all the same, congratulations. 

Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.
serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #161 on: March 02, 2012, 07:18:43 PM »

I'm not even sure I would consider that "drinking".  But all the same, congratulations. 

well it is still alcohol.  but i could definitely see your point. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Moderated
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #162 on: March 09, 2012, 10:36:59 AM »

Truth exists.  Only lies are invented.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
FountainPen
Is not wasting any more of her ink
OC.net guru

« Reply #163 on: March 11, 2012, 09:33:02 AM »

What do you call a Protestant who learns Church History?  An Orthodox Catechumen.

Not true but really funny none-the-less.

None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try. Mark Twain
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #164 on: March 11, 2012, 02:22:39 PM »

This thread needs serious editing . . .

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #165 on: March 11, 2012, 07:08:03 PM »

I can't wait until the Orthodox Church canonized you as a saint so I can do 100 prostrations to al your brilliant quips.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #166 on: March 23, 2012, 05:15:18 PM »

this one's for all of you "end times" calculators:   Wink Grin

I got nothing.

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #167 on: March 31, 2012, 03:16:25 PM »

Why do I need to think for myself?

I'm going to need this.
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #168 on: April 01, 2012, 11:56:07 AM »

In a few days, the Google church will probably release a statement, condemning Apple for heresy.  Cheesy

Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #169 on: April 03, 2012, 08:47:24 AM »

Or tell your mom how much you love her by growling at her in your best death metal voice.

Yeah, it's much better to say it in Byzantine chant tone 1.

serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #170 on: April 04, 2012, 01:28:50 AM »

Didn't think it was possible.  Wrong yet again.

I forgot the maps

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #171 on: April 04, 2012, 06:58:04 PM »

Holy Thread Resurrection, Batman!

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #172 on: April 05, 2012, 12:36:01 AM »

Who can take that clown of Piper seriously? If he were of the other gender I would know what he needed, but like this, it's confusing.

RHE would be so confused by your statement above.
Well, from the few videos of him I saw, it seems he  hasn't got laid in a loooong time .
LOL! laugh That's one way to get to the point.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 12:46:40 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #173 on: April 05, 2012, 12:13:43 PM »

Nice. Maybe some day also The Orthodox in Finland will celebrate Orthodox Easter.
That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #174 on: April 08, 2012, 12:51:43 AM »

Yuns guys are doing it wrong. World views are malleable, looks are not. Find someone you're attracted to, and then negotiate which religion/philosophy you can mutually agree to.  police
I prefer the method of swinging a 99 knot prayer rope back and forth in front of a girl's face like a hypnotist's watch, while whispering: "you are getting a phronema... you are getting a phronema... when I metanya three times, you will accept the dogmatic declaration of Nicea II!". If she backs away awkwardly, she's a goner. If she scowls and asks why I haven't moved on to 150 knots, I know she's a potential keeper.

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #175 on: April 10, 2012, 05:37:38 PM »

Calvinism is a resurgence of gnosticism.

Gnosticism is a resurgence of Straw Man.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #176 on: April 10, 2012, 05:42:37 PM »

Calvinism is a resurgence of gnosticism.

Gnosticism is a resurgence of Straw Man.

That was brilliantly played by Alveus.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #177 on: April 17, 2012, 12:15:18 PM »

A pic that showed up on my Facebook page from Holy Friday services at St. Sophia's Greek Cathedral in Los Angeles:

Look who's carrying the epitaphion.

Letting a xenos carry the epitaphion ...

'Bout time.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #178 on: April 17, 2012, 12:18:27 PM »

I dig the gloves.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #179 on: April 17, 2012, 03:49:21 PM »

Didn't think it was possible.  Wrong yet again.

I forgot the maps

It's like Nietzsche's aphorism, "I forgot my umbrella."

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: