OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 20, 2014, 12:38:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OCnet Quotable Quotes  (Read 50280 times) Average Rating: 5
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2011, 02:57:44 AM »

The priest should remove the boy's hat for him. He can have it back after Liturgy and a stern lecture.

if only... Wink  .  as my priest would say, "that was back hen Churches were made of wood and priests were made of gold, not the other way around..."

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2011, 10:47:38 AM »

the IC is so pregnant with heresy that it has given birth to much mischief in the Vatican's theology.

One of many brilliantly funny ialmisry quips.

I should compose a book of all his quips.

Tags edited - MK.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 10:49:37 AM by Michał Kalina » Logged

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #47 on: April 06, 2011, 05:00:52 PM »

I would say I lean more traditionally, but my Priest thinks it's ridiculous, and a Monk seems concerned so I confused. I personally don't think that God would punish an innocent child.  My husband did not want to abstain during Lent. I could have or not. It was dependent on him. He is deployed now so now I am abstaining :-)
I'm going to guess that your priest is married and the monk is not.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #48 on: April 06, 2011, 05:51:34 PM »

Obviously, there's more to Orthodoxy than only canonicity.

Funny hats.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2011, 02:40:47 PM »

I'm very tempted to contact them, at the very least, concerning the spelling errors on the website.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #50 on: April 11, 2011, 04:46:30 PM »

As for stone age barbarians, I suspect Catholic-Orthodox intermarriage was a problem that didn't concern them much.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2011, 04:08:59 PM »

When I went to New Gracanica For Resurrection Matins ,They Used Quite a Bit Of english ,it's sounded Awful especially the choir, I even let  the Chior know that they sounded Awful ,when we were in line to recieve the red eggs..... Grin
Well, that's lovely.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #52 on: April 26, 2011, 06:33:38 PM »

Christ is risen!
*Please be patient with me*

I have been studying Orthodoxy for nearly 7 months now, but I seem to be going around in circles in regards to some issues; when I seem to resolve an issue, a few new ones pop up to create more stumbling blocks for me.  For 7 years of my life I was a Muslim; I then discovered Christianity through the Bible and professed faith in Christ. Then for another 6 years I had considered myself a Christian without any denomination, but that always bothered me that the Protestants were all so divided and contradicting of one another. So i've come to a certain conclusion (for many reasons) that Protestantism is actually anti-christian. So i'm now praying that Christ will deliver me to His one true Church - which is the Catholic faith - but which one?

Right now my biggest issue is who's claim to be the original Church is legitimate - Roman Catholicism or Orthodox Catholicism? From my understanding, the Archbishop of Rome (the Pope) was universally recognized to be the leader of the Church. So why did the Eastern churches deny his authority, which seemed to have existed ever since St.Peter? The Folioque is another issue as well ,and to be honest it's not an issue I find easy to make a decision on; both sides can make convincing arguments on the matter - so i'd rather focus on who has the true authority to make a final decision.

Orthodox claims to have continued on a straight path ever since the day of Pentecost, but I see so many schisms in it's history. The Coptic Orthodox schism in particular seems very ridiculous to me, seeing how both the Eastern Orthodox and Coptics both believe in the same exact thing (with different phrasing). Yet it's taken hundreds upon hundreds of years, and they're now just starting to slowly resolve the issues. It just seems to me that the Church has grown overly bureaucratic and prideful; whereas Christ would want the Church to humble itself and make amends with each other quickly - as unresolved conflict amongst brethren is quite the serious sin according to the Bible.

Then there's the matter of evangelism. When you look at the Apostles and early christians, they were constantly striving to deliver the good news of Christ to the world. If Orthodoxy is the true Church, and it alone holds the Holy Sacraments and other powers of the Holy Spirit, then why isn't the Orthodox Church making greater effort to spread the truth to the world - particularly America? If all the Patriarchates are in full communion with one another - why don't they make more attempt to work together and spread the gospel and do the good works of Christ on a united front? Most Orthodox churches i've seen in America seem to get together for the occasional Greek Festival, or celebration of a particular holy day, but never get together to fullfill the Great Commission or unleash the gifts of the Holy Spirit upon the earth.

Then there's the issue of the local Churches I been visiting. When I walk into the first Antiochian church I ever been to, I see the "One Eye" centered in the middle of all the Holy Icons and Tabernacle. From my experience, this is an occult symbol associated with Masonry. From what I have read, Orthodoxy prohibits membership to Free Masonry. So is my association of the "One Eye" with Free Masonry wrong do you think, or is this an ancient Christian symbol? From my research thus far, I am leery of infiltration in the Church (ex: Soviet infiltration nearly wiped Orthodoxy off the planet in the USSR).

So my viewpoint thus far, is that Roman Catholics seem to be in better communion globally, and pool their resources toward evangelism more effectively. So i'd like to know if my viewpoint wrong - if so why? I have many other issues to discuss (Roman & Orthodox views of homosexually, Marriage, the "many paths that lead to the same God" lie, and others) but will delay them for another time. I know some of the things i've said might offend, but they're serious issues I believe we all must be honest with ourselves; my mind is open to listen to anything you all might have to say. I thank you in advance for helping me with these questions.

Lord Jesus, Son of God, have mercy on us - sinners!
I haven't finished my first cup of coffee yet, so I'll have to return to this, but in the meantime, what type of Muslim background are you from, if I may ask?

Also, remember that Orthodoxy is the right religion, it is just given to the wrong people.  The Church is the only institution dedicated to those who shouldn't be in it.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #53 on: April 27, 2011, 04:01:17 PM »

The only thing worse than Baptism by pouring is healing on the Sabbath!  police

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #54 on: April 27, 2011, 04:07:07 PM »

Quote from: poslushnik on Today at 12:09:53 AM
XB!

What a shame and publicity stunt! In case of emergency (Death Bed or going to War) where massive  Water is not available they could pour as an "economia" but if the recepients were to survive they would have to be properly Baptised.In Serbia since the Communist take-over almost NO-ONE who wants to be in good will with ALL is Canonically administering the mystery of Baptism.In the picture of Decani Monastery it looks like Bp.Artemy is standing on the shore while His Vicar is immersing,and most are familiar how Bp.Artemy is being persecuted currently.In the book of needs,it fully explains what a Bishop should do to a Priest who does not Baptise correctly,when there is no emergency;the Priest should be Defrocked! but then again the Bishop would have to be Orthodox.Is there any wonder why Holy Serbia is getting smaller and smaller all the time?
Such utter BS.
Warmest paschal greetings.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Theologoumenon

« Reply #55 on: April 27, 2011, 04:12:14 PM »

PetertheAleut:
Something else to think about, PFN:

I notice that in one post you mention your desire to pray more and your love for a particular office of prayer, yet your posts so frequently show the same hot-tempered snarkiness that defines this thread. Do you not notice the disconnect?
Tongue  Grin   Wink
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #56 on: April 27, 2011, 11:29:40 PM »

videotape the ceremony for the benefit of future similar inquiries .

Just make sure you warn UN outposts in Orthodox countries before you put the burning on youtube.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #57 on: May 01, 2011, 03:03:28 PM »

I am suffering from convert burnout.  Angry

I feel like the more I learn about Orthodoxy, the less I want to study Orthodoxy. And I'm not even talking about the nature of the Trinity or prayer. I'm talking about issues like the calendar, the OCA, ecumenism, heterodoxy blah blah blah.

The academic part of me is curious and soaking up all the info like a sponge. The other part of me thinks, "Who really cares?" I think God will laugh at me and say, "Why didn't you spend your time with your family instead of reading articles online about a certain priest in the OCA?"

I just WANT TO BE ORTHODOX. Does that make any sense? I think I'm going crazy.

http://pithlessthoughts.blogspot.com/2009/12/orthographs-1.html

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #58 on: May 04, 2011, 03:59:10 PM »

By popular demand...

But is being "in communion" really a big deal when you already have "open communion"?
tuesdayschild
High Elder

« Reply #59 on: May 16, 2011, 10:55:36 AM »

There is a canon about this, I'm sure.

QFT. Applicable to all topics.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #60 on: July 14, 2011, 02:37:32 PM »

Does anyone think I should just ask FrChris permission to access the private fora even though I haven't even been here for two weeks? I guess it couldn't hurt to try.
So... should I? I just want to get advice from more experienced posters on OC.net so I don't look like a complete fool for asking him prematurely. But, I assume 'one month' means 'one month'. I was just wondering if there were any exceptions.

I heard a story about someone who was here 3 weeks and asked FrChris to join the private fora. FrChris showed up at his house and murdered his entire family.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #61 on: July 14, 2011, 03:03:32 PM »

laugh laugh laugh

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #62 on: July 14, 2011, 05:15:34 PM »

From the "Oldest reference to venerating Icons" thread:

"Paint a bunch of icons of our Lord and the saints and then kiss them. Also, pray to Mary after she dies in the future."

~ The Epistle of St. Paul to the Antiochians, 46 AD.

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
dcommini
Tha mi sgulan na Trianaid
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #63 on: July 14, 2011, 07:27:40 PM »

Does anyone think I should just ask FrChris permission to access the private fora even though I haven't even been here for two weeks? I guess it couldn't hurt to try.
So... should I? I just want to get advice from more experienced posters on OC.net so I don't look like a complete fool for asking him prematurely. But, I assume 'one month' means 'one month'. I was just wondering if there were any exceptions.

I heard a story about someone who was here 3 weeks and asked FrChris to join the private fora. FrChris showed up at his house and murdered his entire family.

This had me rolling  Grin

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #64 on: July 18, 2011, 07:29:35 PM »

The properties were stolen by the Communists.
It was communism.  No private property.  The whole country was stolen.

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #65 on: July 19, 2011, 06:30:34 PM »

So, ghosts are sort of the laser shows and gateway drugs of the demonic arsenal. As Christians it's best to just stay away. Nothing good can come from it.

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #66 on: August 10, 2011, 12:08:00 PM »

Was the plan that Adam would pick a peach off a tree, eat it, poop out the whole peach, and then stick it back on the tree?
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #67 on: August 14, 2011, 05:14:21 PM »

PICTURE WAR!

Isa already launched the nukes, and decimated the enemy.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #68 on: August 14, 2011, 05:44:22 PM »

LOL

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #69 on: August 15, 2011, 12:27:21 AM »

Guess what, guys and gals.  All this re-hashed arguing is irrelevant if the recently signed documents mean what they appear to mean - that ROCOR is back in full communion with the MP, and thusly the other "world" Orthodox jurisdictions.  It's utterly meaningless to continue going over the Sergianism bugaboo if ROCOR has apparently gotten over it.  Unless, of course, you're in a parish that's about to go "Protestantal", so to speak, and bolt ROCOR to create a new True ROCOR jurisdiction.

And give us a Russian Orthodox Church Outside the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia? (ROCOROCOR if you want the acronym)

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #70 on: August 18, 2011, 10:51:17 PM »

Orange trees develop over time. Isn't this the development of doctrine idea?

No.  Orange trees do not produce apples. 

– St. Ambrose of Milan
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #71 on: August 23, 2011, 02:27:09 AM »

This thread is poorly named. A more accurate title for this thread would be "cure for insomnia."  laugh  Wink
The thread to which she refers is this: http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,37983.0.html
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #72 on: September 02, 2011, 03:29:57 AM »

That one:
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,39235.msg630147.html#msg630147
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 03:30:11 AM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #73 on: September 02, 2011, 07:11:04 AM »

When I clicked:
An Error Has Occurred!
The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.
Huh
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #74 on: September 02, 2011, 02:00:24 PM »

When I clicked:
An Error Has Occurred!
The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.
Huh
That's because the post Michal linked is on the Private Forum; therefore, only those with access to the Private Forum can read it.
genesisone
Archon

« Reply #75 on: September 02, 2011, 02:44:38 PM »

When I clicked:
An Error Has Occurred!
Huh
That's because the post Michal linked is on the Private Forum; therefore, only those with access to the Private Forum can read it.
I figured that was it, but I was hoping to get Michał Kalina's attention to copy the text (if such is allowed), if not, I'm not sure why it's here at all.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #76 on: September 02, 2011, 02:53:53 PM »

When I clicked:
An Error Has Occurred!
Huh
I figured that was it, but I was hoping to get Michał Kalina's attention to copy the text (if such is allowed), if not, I'm not sure why it's here at all.
Quoting Private Forum posts on the Public Forum is forbidden, which Michal knows very well as a moderator. He therefore did as much as he was permitted to do.
genesisone
Archon

« Reply #77 on: September 02, 2011, 05:59:32 PM »

When I clicked:
An Error Has Occurred!
Huh
Quoting Private Forum posts on the Public Forum is forbidden, which Michal knows very well as a moderator. He therefore did as much as he was permitted to do.
So, it really isn't a "quotable quote". I wonder what a thread of "unquotable quotes" would look like  Cheesy.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #78 on: September 08, 2011, 03:46:02 PM »

This one: http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,39450.msg635531.html#msg635531

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
genesisone
Archon

« Reply #79 on: September 08, 2011, 07:13:34 PM »

Michał Kalina, it's really frustrating for those of us who have chosen NOT to have access to the private forums to read this. If the quote isn't quotable, then it isn't a "quotable quote".
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #80 on: September 08, 2011, 07:15:10 PM »

It was a cute picture of a kid tilting his head and looking at a computer. There was a 'lol' line, 'Not sure if serious!'

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #81 on: September 08, 2011, 07:25:58 PM »

It was a cute picture of a kid tilting his head and looking at a computer. There was a 'lol' line, 'Not sure if serious!'

LOL at your simulated funny.

I'm going to need this.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #82 on: September 08, 2011, 07:28:52 PM »

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #83 on: September 19, 2011, 01:41:30 PM »

FrChris, ladies and gentlemen:

Jersey Shore makes me hope that the Mayan Calendar is correct.

A show so horrifying that it make an apocalyptic demise seem favorable.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 01:42:08 PM by vamrat » Logged
Ioannis Climacus
High Elder

"There is no religion higher than TRUTH"

« Reply #84 on: September 19, 2011, 10:47:05 PM »

This is an old one, but I nearly fell out of my chair laughing. In response to Kaste, a self-proclaimed "member of the Invisible Church", Alveus Lacuna responded :

You're visible again!

Note : Many of my posts (especially the ones antedating late 2012) do not reflect charity, tact, or even views I presently hold. Please forgive me for any antagonism I have caused.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #85 on: October 04, 2011, 03:45:54 PM »

As an outsider, I am just as informed and knowledgeable about Eastern Orthodoxy as someone who is actually Eastern Orthodox.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #86 on: October 07, 2011, 12:07:02 PM »

This might be unrelated. But why do Atheist have funerals anyway?
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #87 on: October 07, 2011, 12:25:22 PM »

As an outsider, I am just as informed and knowledgeable about Eastern Orthodoxy as someone who is actually Eastern Orthodox.

Cheesy Perfect.

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #88 on: October 07, 2011, 07:49:20 PM »

^Well, those who live by the sword shouldn't expect to come up against butter knives. People being people, and all that.   angel
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #89 on: October 10, 2011, 01:40:52 PM »

This one: http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,40163.msg652013.html#msg652013

(Because it's on the Politics board, I cannot quote it here.)
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: