OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 21, 2014, 12:41:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OCnet Quotable Quotes  (Read 57604 times) Average Rating: 5
genesisone
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #90 on: October 10, 2011, 04:42:56 PM »

This one: http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,40163.msg652013.html#msg652013

(Because it's on the Politics board, I cannot quote it here.)
Sheesh, can't you guys have a Quotable Quotes thread in the Politics section and quit teasing those of us who have chosen not to have access?
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #91 on: October 10, 2011, 05:26:47 PM »

This one: http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,40163.msg652013.html#msg652013
Sheesh, can't you guys have a Quotable Quotes thread in the Politics section and quit teasing those of us who have chosen not to have access?

Seconded.

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
jah777
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #92 on: October 12, 2011, 10:33:16 AM »

History is the furnace of truth, because God acts through it and proves the truth by its endurance.
TheMathematician
Warned
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: American

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #93 on: October 13, 2011, 11:13:01 AM »

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,40237.msg653203.html#msg653203

again, all i can do is link it
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #94 on: October 13, 2011, 12:11:30 PM »

Here's an idea:

Choose to have access

That way people do not have to hear y'all whine about something of which y'all can also completely solve by choosing to have access.

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #95 on: October 13, 2011, 04:44:19 PM »

Here's an idea:

Choose to have access

That way people do not have to hear y'all whine about something of which y'all can also completely solve by choosing to have access.
Lead us not into temptation.  Wink
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #96 on: October 13, 2011, 04:50:28 PM »

Here's an idea:

Choose to have access

Lead us not into temptation.  Wink
Quitcher whinin'. Wink
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #97 on: October 13, 2011, 05:46:26 PM »

Here's an idea:

Choose to have access

It's probably all those stories going around of people getting the procedure wrong and you massacring their entire families.   Wink

Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #98 on: October 17, 2011, 10:35:13 PM »

From Xariskai in the Incense thread:

Does God have to meet your practical standards to be followed? Who then is really lord in your life, you or God?
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #99 on: October 18, 2011, 08:23:55 PM »

Here's an idea:

Choose to have access

It's probably all those stories going around of people getting the procedure wrong and you massacring their entire families.   Wink

Those accounts are completely untrue regarding me massacring their entire families:

if I left no survivors, there would be no one to tell the cautionary tales of why they must do everything correctly!

Wink

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Severian
God save Egypt, Syria, Lebanon & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Miaphysite Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: The Church of Alexandria

Saint Severus of Antioch - the Eloquent Mouth

Partisangirl
« Reply #100 on: October 19, 2011, 07:05:42 PM »

Here's an idea:

Choose to have access

Those accounts are completely untrue regarding me massacring their entire families:

if I left no survivors, there would be no one to tell the cautionary tales of why they must do everything correctly!

Wink
LOL. You guys are never gonna let me live that one down, huh? Cheesy

But, it's all in good fun. Wink
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 07:05:55 PM by Severian » Logged

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -Jesus Christ

I am currently not an active poster on the forum. Please forgive any offense I might have caused in the past. Thank you.
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #101 on: October 23, 2011, 06:14:49 PM »

Following in the private forum trend, I must say this was hilarious:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,12358.msg658609.html#msg658609

Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #102 on: October 24, 2011, 08:23:49 AM »

Jesus never wore shades at Gogotha, he just called some clouds to block out the light.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #103 on: October 24, 2011, 08:29:59 AM »

It bothers me that Orthodox Christians are using the internet and forums. The internet was designed to de-Christianize people. And the way Christians behave in forums only proves how successful the social engineers have been.

I believe we should imitate the Amish, and make a complete separation from society and modernism once and for all. Just because our pagan society creates a new toy or thing, does not mean we all have to run after it like a bunch of mindless slaves. It bother's me even more to see bishop's using the internet. I used it to share Orthodoxy, but I have come to the conclusion that people today do not want truth, they want to feel good and be entertained. Get off the internet and be Orthodox.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #104 on: October 24, 2011, 02:04:56 PM »

It bothers me that Orthodox Christians are using the internet and forums. The internet was designed to de-Christianize people. And the way Christians behave in forums only proves how successful the social engineers have been.

I believe we should imitate the Amish, and make a complete separation from society and modernism once and for all. Just because our pagan society creates a new toy or thing, does not mean we all have to run after it like a bunch of mindless slaves. It bother's me even more to see bishop's using the internet. I used it to share Orthodoxy, but I have come to the conclusion that people today do not want truth, they want to feel good and be entertained. Get off the internet and be Orthodox.
So, why did the Apologist come back? Huh
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #105 on: October 25, 2011, 03:33:14 PM »

I don't quite see how the various decisions for Christ work in orthodoxy but any step towards is a party waiting to happen #smiles

Congrats orthonorm, i hope you celebrated.

As was pointed out, I did make a baby cry . . .

Actually, within the next hour, I made a young girl rather sour toward me as well. It's lovely relationship but sometimes stormy. We had a disagreement about the suitability of a crayon for eating.

Really, there is not much of a problem with the eating of canyons as such. But she insisted on wanting to try to eat the entire thing at once. She wouldn't compromise with just taking bite sized pieces.

But it all ended on a good note with a well-mannered discussion about the dangers of putting one's fingers through the grating around a moving fan and whether to attempt such feats even when the fan is not moving, to trying to determining the amount of plastic Easter Eggs in a container without actually counting them.

LOL!

(this is within the context of official reception into the Church)
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 03:33:47 PM by minasoliman » Logged

Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #106 on: October 25, 2011, 05:55:15 PM »

To which I reply:
he righteous need not cower before the drumbeat of human progress. Though the song of yesterday fades into the challenge of tomorrow, God still watches and judges us. Evil lurks in the datalinks as it lurked in the streets of yesteryear. But it was never the streets that were evil.
Serious props to anybody who got the reference.

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #107 on: October 27, 2011, 12:39:39 PM »

If you want to make such claims, take that log, start a fire with that rubbish, and by its light summarize your arguments

This reminded me of Isaiah 50:11
Behold, all ye that kindle a fire, that compass yourselves about with sparks: walk in the light of your fire, and in the sparks that ye have kindled. This shall ye have of mine hand; ye shall lie down in torment.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #108 on: October 28, 2011, 10:04:25 AM »

Pre-martial sex is the hardest thing a young male faces when trying to abstain from marriage.
edited a little
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 10:04:59 AM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #109 on: October 28, 2011, 10:37:55 AM »

Pre-martial sex is the hardest thing a young male faces when trying to abstain from marriage.
edited a little
Very interesting edit, thanks Isa!

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #110 on: October 29, 2011, 02:43:59 PM »

A "Shoot first, ask questions later" policy, usually leads one to a circular firing squad.
FountainPen
Is not wasting any more of her ink
OC.net guru

« Reply #111 on: October 31, 2011, 05:53:33 AM »

Seriously. The attitude of the OP is astounding. And you expect some woman to sleep with you? And when she says no because you're an arrogant man-child, are you going to ask for scriptural evidence to justify her stance?

None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try. Mark Twain
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #112 on: October 31, 2011, 07:47:55 AM »

Seriously. The attitude of the OP is astounding. And you expect some woman to sleep with you? And when she says no because you're an arrogant man-child, are you going to ask for scriptural evidence to justify her stance?

You beat me to it, FP. There is just SO much in that short masterpiece!
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #113 on: November 01, 2011, 01:01:23 PM »

This is beautiful.  TYF has been vindicated.  It took 9 years but you got a response to your thread!   Grin

LOL!

How many threads about Halloween can we have?
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #114 on: November 01, 2011, 02:03:12 PM »

The day I eat a swan . . . I will truly be happy.

Priceless.  When I first read this, I thought of Billy Madison's funny line: "Stop looking at me, swan!". 

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
TheMathematician
Warned
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: American

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #115 on: November 01, 2011, 04:50:41 PM »

I've always been told that it is good to have a wife that is an excellent cook, one that is a demon in bed, one that keeps the house spotless, and one that makes you feel really good about yourself.  I have also heard that it is not a good idea to have them meet.
CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #116 on: November 02, 2011, 08:04:39 AM »

Following in the private forum trend, I must say this was hilarious:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,12358.msg658609.html#msg658609

LOL, so true. I wish there was a "like" button for people's posts. Someone should invent that...oh wait...

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #117 on: November 07, 2011, 05:06:20 AM »

Forgot to add this gem from my favorite poster:
I would encourage you to not look at things in such a utilitarian fashion. The "purpose" of something, first and foremost, especially within Orthodoxy, often has to do with beauty. And my are galaxies and stars beautiful!

I believe it was George MacDonald that referred to God as "gloriously wasteful." That's a thought that has always stuck with me. Artist's are often bold, extravagant, "wasteful" in their works, but the point is not to make something that has a "purpose" or serve a "function" rather than simply the beauty of being.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #118 on: November 14, 2011, 06:34:30 PM »

Sometimes I say, "Oh, hun, don't you want to play some MoH tonight?"
If I heard a woman tell me that, I'd marry her on the spot.

Yeah. This is pretty much accurate.

I'm going to need this.
Seafra

Faith: British Orthodox hopeful

It's in the shelter of each other that people live

Mr.Dougherty
« Reply #119 on: November 27, 2011, 07:46:08 PM »

been looking for one i saw i cant remember where. it was a take on John 3:16 from the protestant soteriology... it was hilarious anyone know of it? someone made it their sig too lol
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #120 on: November 27, 2011, 08:07:19 PM »

been looking for one i saw i cant remember where. it was a take on John 3:16 from the protestant soteriology... it was hilarious anyone know of it? someone made it their sig too lol

Isa has said it in a variety of ways, but this is his best formulation, IMHO:

For God was so P.O.d at that world, that He had His only begotten Son tortured to death, and since then He feels so much better.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #121 on: November 27, 2011, 08:09:11 PM »

The quotable Isa. We need a thread dedicated to him solely.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
FountainPen
OC.net guru

« Reply #122 on: November 27, 2011, 08:17:57 PM »

Anthropopathic and not worthy to be quoted.

(the quote not the person)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 08:48:22 PM by FountainPen » Logged

None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try. Mark Twain
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #123 on: November 27, 2011, 08:25:19 PM »

I don't think having threads dedicated to one poster is very Christian.

Wait for it . . .

//:=)

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #124 on: November 27, 2011, 08:47:44 PM »

From http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/anthropopathy

an·thro·pop·a·thy   (an-thruh-pop-uh-thee)
noun
ascription of human passions or feelings to a being or beings not human, especially to a deity.

Am I correct in understanding this as a commentary on the post orthonorm quoted above (see Reply #120) and not on the person of ialmisry himself?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 08:49:09 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
FountainPen
OC.net guru

« Reply #125 on: November 27, 2011, 08:53:10 PM »

noun
ascription of human passions or feelings to a being or beings not human, especially to a deity.

Am I correct in understanding this as a commentary on the post orthonorm quoted above (see Reply #120) and not on the person of ialmisry himself?

I added my edit the same time you posted this.

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #126 on: November 27, 2011, 08:58:37 PM »

I don't think having threads dedicated to one poster is very Christian.

Wait for it . . .

//:=)

Ave orthonorm, morituri te salutant!

Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #127 on: November 27, 2011, 09:04:21 PM »

noun

I added my edit the same time you posted this.
Kudos on having a big vocabulary! Wink
Seafra

Faith: British Orthodox hopeful

It's in the shelter of each other that people live

Mr.Dougherty
« Reply #128 on: November 27, 2011, 09:11:09 PM »

Isa has said it in a variety of ways, but this is his best formulation, IMHO:

For God was so P.O.d at that world, that He had His only begotten Son tortured to death, and since then He feels so much better.
haha yeah a classic thats one of my fav's so far! where is the topic its from?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 09:12:22 PM by Seafra » Logged
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #129 on: November 30, 2011, 10:57:56 AM »

i would probably find it distracting, esp. if they had some cute subdeacons/readers... Kiss

I'm sure there have been plenty of handsome priests over the centuries who were quite capable of distracting the ladies ....  Roll Eyes

Not if they were appropriately veiled! Smiley

good call...i might be able to focus in that case...that is if i didn't think most women are more attractive in veils... :doh:

I have found that the Slavic tradition deals with this nicely.  Women should always attend services with less fabric committed to their skirts than to their veils.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #130 on: December 29, 2011, 11:12:19 PM »

I believe I have asked God to show me where Hitchen is and I heard some cries... AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!! probably from hell.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #131 on: December 30, 2011, 01:08:22 AM »

I believe I have asked God to show me where Hitchen is and I heard some cries... AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!! probably from hell.

Honestly, do we think mocking the suffering of others is something we should be doing on this forum?

The Church teaches us to pray for the souls of the reposed; not mock them. After all, do any of us really know the fate of our own soul?

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #132 on: December 30, 2011, 01:13:41 AM »

Honestly, do we think mocking the suffering of others is something we should be doing on this forum?

Relax, he said probably from hell. The "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!''s could also be cries of joy.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #133 on: December 30, 2011, 08:59:43 AM »

I really did LOL with this one.

...Behold your God, encoded in Philip Schaff's multi-volume series on the ante and post-nicene fathers.

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #134 on: December 30, 2011, 10:15:30 AM »

Relax, he said probably from hell. The "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!''s could also be cries of joy.

Or what augustin said...

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: