OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 28, 2014, 03:39:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OCnet Quotable Quotes  (Read 58691 times) Average Rating: 5
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #270 on: December 05, 2012, 12:51:47 AM »

True story, I've never met a Jewish girl in my age group.

I'm hoping I do someday. Those Jews are usually loaded with cash. Now if I can hook one into marriage, then I would really luck out and barely ever have to work. Too bad the Church wouldn't allow our marriage.

This is why you'll be dating rosie palm and her five sisters for the rest of your life...   Roll Eyes
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #271 on: December 05, 2012, 06:50:29 PM »

Why does everyone insist on daily Liturgies. Priests would like to have sex too.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #272 on: December 05, 2012, 07:05:48 PM »

Why does everyone insist on daily Liturgies. Priests would like to have sex too.

Nice.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #273 on: December 06, 2012, 02:23:26 AM »

Can't say that I've ever seen a train in an icon before.

Tweety, what is your deal with speaking to people from the past? Do you not see the date on the posts?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 02:37:58 AM by Michał Kalina » Logged
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #274 on: December 08, 2012, 01:47:01 AM »

Remember it's not premarital sex if you don't plan on getting married.

"I haven't done anything wrong, and I won't be hounded by you and your soulless minions of orthodoxy! I haven't broken any laws... except perhaps the laws of nature." - Dr. Elias Giger
Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #275 on: December 14, 2012, 10:12:07 AM »

We have different definition of barbarism.

I am really starting to understand why Constantinople thinks 28th canon of Chalcedon applies to the USA.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 10:12:14 AM by Cyrillic » Logged

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
-Dr. Samuel Johnson
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #276 on: December 14, 2012, 03:15:04 PM »

The germinated serenity returns my colonel's shirt. Fermenting, for a moment, the zoo, you can marinate the filter with a protruding habit. Still, parallel blankets match a sampling of giggling torsos.

"I haven't done anything wrong, and I won't be hounded by you and your soulless minions of orthodoxy! I haven't broken any laws... except perhaps the laws of nature." - Dr. Elias Giger
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #277 on: December 21, 2012, 02:59:42 PM »

Playing Protestant games with words in languages that nobody still speaks does not overcome the clear message of the entire scriptures and the lives and teachings of those who have lived them.

-Punch

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #278 on: December 22, 2012, 12:43:20 PM »

You should become a comedian

Cheesy

Be nice. He's not working in his first language here.

Cyrillic is neither.

Do you mean neither as in not nice and not working in my first language? Oh, the ambiguity.

You're Dutch. English is your first language.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #279 on: December 24, 2012, 09:30:35 PM »

Why does Orthodox Church have to set so many rules, laws and regulations?
To prevent anarchy. That's how it's the same Church Christ left two thousand years later, and Protestantism is splintered into thousands of sects in less than half a millenium.

From none other than Master Isa himself

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #280 on: December 26, 2012, 09:02:20 AM »

Don't forget to add a second initialism just to confuse people--perhaps OCAA (Orthodox Church in America Abroad)

I'd check out the OCAAIEAR--Abroad, In Exile And Resistance. Because being abroad is not enough.

Pretty sure OCAAIEAR is a occult invocation of some sort.

mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #281 on: December 26, 2012, 11:45:44 AM »

Wow. Pure gold:

Uniatemonophysitepapistepiscopalecumenistgenuineworldcouncilofchurchescontraceptiongaycalendarist.

Now that everything's covered can we please get this thread locked?
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #282 on: December 28, 2012, 08:41:58 AM »

They are utterly useless.  done.   Wink Grin Tongue

No, they aren't. Subdeaconhood can be included in Facebook and OC.net usernames and profiles. That makes posts a lot more convincing.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #283 on: December 28, 2012, 09:42:36 PM »

Anyone who isn't a small child and asks what is sex mostly likely is looking for loopholes or reading from Bill Clintons dictionary.

+1

mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #284 on: December 29, 2012, 05:54:24 AM »

I'm getting a little grumpy with my friends posts on Facebook. Thought about it and whipped this up just now. Y'all can probably relate...

I hate my family just like the B-I-B-L-E tells me so.
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #285 on: December 31, 2012, 03:18:10 PM »

Sorry, I haven't heard of souvlaki and borscht in the Orthodox Church.

I looked them up in a dictionary.

Souvlaki : Any of various Greek dishes made with lamb grilled on a skewer

Borscht : A Russian or Polish soup usually containing beet juice as a foundation

I fail to see how these are Sacraments. Please enlighten me.

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
-Dr. Samuel Johnson
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #286 on: December 31, 2012, 03:47:35 PM »

Nice one ^.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #287 on: December 31, 2012, 11:54:43 PM »

I'd like to verify if the Gospel the EOC teaches, is exactly the same Gospel that I believe.
If you are not EOC, no, because that would mean you are preaching another Gospel.

NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

When in doubt, say: "you lack the proper φρόνημα"

« Reply #288 on: January 01, 2013, 12:42:41 AM »

parishoners from your favorite parish are busy at work in Guatemala.
United Fruit Company?

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #289 on: January 05, 2013, 04:31:30 PM »

I went to the link for the half naked men. I stayed for the half naked Eve.  angel

-Dr. Samuel Johnson
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #290 on: January 05, 2013, 09:18:39 PM »

I know one rule that will help every single marriage:

Men can not read your mind. If you don't tell them why you are upset, they won't know. The "silent treatment" hurts you, and they are just oblivious. Silence is interpreted by most men as a good thing. And watching movies like "An Officer and a Gentleman" will just warp your idea of what love is. Pay attention to what you consume in terms of romance. If your idea of romance is Twilight, you are doing it wrong. If you can see that Band of Brothers is a story about real brotherly love amongst men, you are getting closer to what is right.

Although this tidbit works with relationships in general. This idea that if someone "really loves" you, they instinctively know why you are upset is just a relationship killer.

Quote from: Quinault
If you can see that Band of Brothers is a story about real brotherly love amongst men, you are getting closer to what is right.

So a man wants a woman to be like a brother?

What the hell?

Good, I'm glad I'm wrong.

No, a woman needs to be capable of seeing that love for men is different. Those guys loved each other. Not romantically, but they did have love for each other. The love in that story is one that is expressed by protecting each other. Men need other men. Male friendship is essential. Women can not get bent out of shape because their husband wants to spend time with the guys. Women also have to understand that love isn't just roses and candlelit dinners. Romance is awesome. But if all you have is romance, you don't really have love. For a marriage to work it can't be just romantic love. Men express love thru taking care of the other person. Men also accept love by being taken care of to some extent. No, that doesn't mean women have to be the slave. But it does mean that the little things matter a great deal. It meant the world to my husband when we were first married that I got up with him to talk, and help make his breakfast before he left for work in the mornings. It meant the world to my husband that I tried to have dinner ready when he was home. It meant the world to me that my husband did all the clean-up after dinner. These things were done without discussion as a way to express our love for each other. And for the guys out there; there is nothing sexier than a man doing the dishes and folding laundry Wink

If we look at the ideas of love expressed in popular culture, no man is going to live up to it. No man should live up to it. The relationships portrayed in movies are dysfunctional. It we followed the characters in Jerry Maguire, they would be divorced within a decade. The characters in "Gone with the Wind" aren't any better. Just because it makes a good story with dramatic tension, it doesn't mean that is how life or romance should be. And don't even get me started on 50 Shades...

Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #291 on: January 05, 2013, 09:43:21 PM »

Well, I've already failed today, so that's out of the way.

how did you fail buddy? what have you done?

LOL, this forum needs a male/female icon on profiles....

I agree with the hot chick. This gender confusion needs to stop.

I'm going to need this.
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #292 on: January 06, 2013, 04:10:54 AM »

Define "religion"?   I always understood religion to be involving worship of a god, or gods. Atheism is godless by definition, and seeks to worship nothing.

Some people want to redefine the word so that atheism is a religion. Other people want to redefine the word so that Orthodoxy is not a religion. Sometimes you get to do a double facepalm when the same person does both.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #293 on: January 06, 2013, 05:16:46 PM »

I can tell if my hand exists. I could poke you in the eye.

Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #294 on: January 13, 2013, 04:01:29 PM »

There are sooo many more Catholics in this country than there are Orthodox that I'm willing to bet most Catholics don't even know what Orthodoxy is.  I'd also be willing to bet that most of the ones who do know what Orthodoxy is only have a passing familiarity with it and probably aren't all that interested in it anyway.  And of the ones who have some real interest in it and even have more than a passing familiarity with it, I'd be willing to bet that many would be ecumenical in the sense of accepting Orthodoxy as a sister faith to Catholicism or some such thing.  And then there's all those folks on the internets.  Grin

mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #295 on: January 22, 2013, 03:19:46 AM »

How many inches is yours?
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #296 on: January 22, 2013, 03:53:04 AM »

If I have yet to make OC.net "Quotable Quotes" after 6,000+ posts, then I am either a great success or a tremendous failure.

Selam

"There are two great tragedies: one is to live a life ruled by the passions, and the other is to live a passionless life."
Selam, +GMK+
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #297 on: January 22, 2013, 04:22:47 AM »

If I have yet to make OC.net "Quotable Quotes" after 6,000+ posts, then I am either a great success or a tremendous failure.

Selam

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #298 on: January 22, 2013, 04:50:45 AM »

Selam

Thank you. I think.

Selam

"There are two great tragedies: one is to live a life ruled by the passions, and the other is to live a passionless life."
Selam, +GMK+
xariskai
юродивый/yurodivy
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

יהוה עזי ומגני

« Reply #299 on: January 24, 2013, 10:40:29 PM »

...If eye rolling were audible the sound would be deafening.

Silly Stars
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #300 on: January 31, 2013, 01:37:00 AM »

From what they say, the demons assault the most righteous the most....I've yet had a demon bother me and I chalk it up to my incredible track record of being a rather miserable excuse for a human.

Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #301 on: January 31, 2013, 02:28:11 AM »

Re: When harboring religious refugees, is lying permissible?

To save a Christian life?  Without hesitation.  Not even for a moment.

But then again, I consider lying to the government to be a virtue in almost any situation.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #302 on: January 31, 2013, 02:42:33 PM »

Seems to me that this whole board is virtually obsessed with sex and sexuality.  Methinks the board dost protest too much.

It's the pelvic position. It's what sexually stunted Protestants in America are obsessed with even if they call themselves Orthodox.

Sex, Homosexuality, and Abortion.

If it deals with the pelvis, unless it's Elvis, they're against it and can't sleep well until everyone else knows.

Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #303 on: January 31, 2013, 08:12:39 PM »

We are the One, Holy, CATHOLIC and Apostolic Church. Not the Latin Ultramontanist knock off.

Well, they beat us to the trademark registration office to it.

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #304 on: January 31, 2013, 08:21:57 PM »

If tomatoes are fruit, does that mean ketchup is a smoothie? Grin

Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #305 on: February 01, 2013, 03:08:34 PM »

Only our mother among the saints, Frederica, AFIK, talks on the subject. Also Rod Dreher the righteous, my his prayers be upon us.

JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #306 on: February 02, 2013, 12:54:45 AM »

I enjoy Maria's posts; she's like the kind, nurturing, caring Orthodox mother that I've always wanted.

mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #307 on: February 02, 2013, 12:58:46 AM »

I enjoy Maria's posts; she's like the kind, nurturing, caring Orthodox mother that I've always wanted.
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #308 on: February 04, 2013, 10:31:43 AM »

This is silly.
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #309 on: February 04, 2013, 10:59:01 AM »

I should probably listen to Cyrillic more often.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #310 on: February 04, 2013, 11:33:34 AM »

-Dr. Samuel Johnson
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #311 on: February 04, 2013, 11:54:32 AM »

Many people could benefit from this advice.  He's a lekker ouen!

Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #312 on: February 06, 2013, 03:51:50 PM »

I was never really good at math.

What's the purpose of finding this really, really, really large number?

I mean how does one "discover" a number?  Was it buried under a parking lot, or something?

(just in case the reference isn't lost for those who see this years from now, around this time, humanity found a 14th Century lost English king's skeleton under a parking lot)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 03:52:41 PM by minasoliman » Logged

Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #313 on: February 06, 2013, 10:16:07 PM »

For icons, I would definitely look to LBK, who actually deals with icons on a daily basis, teaches about them, and publishes materials on them.
For dogmatics, Father H, who actually teaches the subject.
For maps, ialmisry.
For wit, Orthonorm.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
OrthoNoob
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #314 on: February 07, 2013, 01:32:40 AM »

We honkies were late bloomers.  We were kinda like the nerdy kid in high school who then turned into Pimp-Daddy McPimpin' in College.

http://avengingredhand.wordpress.com -- My blog

'These words I, Leo, have set down for love and as a safeguard of the Orthodox Faith'
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: