Author Topic: OCnet Quotable Quotes  (Read 487627 times)

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
Re: OCnet Quotable Quotes
« Reply #2025 on: November 06, 2017, 11:54:46 PM »
I think RaphaCam and I are brothers.  He is now the only other person I know that takes stock in noses.
Well, I have a lot of cousins... My grandpa is very prolific.

Well, ultimately it's Latin: factitius
Rather facticius, factitius does exist as a synonym, but I think it'd have rendered *feitizo in Portuguese, observing its sound laws. It was factitius -> feitiço -> fétiche -> fetish. The English word "factitious" is a doublet.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 12:02:44 AM by RaphaCam »
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Anyhow when God was asked he said Eastern Orthodox is true Church and not Catholic Church. So come home and enjoy.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #2026 on: November 08, 2017, 03:02:50 PM »
Rather facticius, factitius does exist as a synonym, but I think it'd have rendered *feitizo in Portuguese, observing its sound laws. It was factitius -> feitiço -> fétiche -> fetish. The English word "factitious" is a doublet.

I heart you.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #2027 on: November 08, 2017, 08:39:53 PM »

I heart you.
Éǵh₂ lewbʰoh₂ te h₂ewg.
Ik lubō þik auk.
Ic lufō þē ēac.
I love thee eke.
I love you too.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Anyhow when God was asked he said Eastern Orthodox is true Church and not Catholic Church. So come home and enjoy.

Offline Antonious Nikolas

• Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite
  • Taxiarches
  • Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Oriental Orthodox Church
« Reply #2028 on: November 09, 2017, 10:03:14 AM »

Are you sure about facticius vs. factitious?  I looked it up to be sure, and my English dictionary, at least, agrees with with the latter.  Either way, it's not ultimately Portuguese as you originally claimed.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 10:03:31 AM by Antonious Nikolas »
I'm with the camp of 13 million Americans that believe politicians are, or are controlled by, Reptilians. I think only monks can solve this problem. It doesn't seem right that they prefer to ignore it.

• Taxiarches
« Reply #2029 on: November 09, 2017, 10:13:46 AM »
I don't make moral value judgments on people simply because they have different politics & religious views  than me. I'd rather just challenge those ideas/religious views I disagree with, than resort to making moral value judgments on individuals because they peddle them.that's just my style of discourse.

But what makes me see fault in heimbach, that warrants a value judgment on him as a individual, is not his pro-fascist politics because that is simply his opinion but his obesity.  His BMI must be >30. He's at risk for type 2 diabetes, and CVD.I've seen too many patients this past month with very high  triglycerides/LDL/VLDL et al., & high A1C level.  Heimbach needs to take care of his physical health for his own sake . That's my value judgment on Heimbach as a individual.
I'm with the camp of 13 million Americans that believe politicians are, or are controlled by, Reptilians. I think only monks can solve this problem. It doesn't seem right that they prefer to ignore it.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #2030 on: November 09, 2017, 12:26:40 PM »

Are you sure about facticius vs. factitious?  I looked it up to be sure, and my English dictionary, at least, agrees with with the latter.  Either way, it's not ultimately Portuguese as you originally claimed.
Both factitius and facticius exist in Latin. Factitius was borrowed by English as factitious and facticius developed into feitiço in Portuguese, meaning "spell" and, by extension, eventually used in other languages to refer to the holy tokens of Pagan religions, then to the feeling toward them, then at last, to the sexual feeling. But, well, it's clearly not ultimately Portuguese, anything coming from Portuguese would be ultimately Indo-European, Afro-Asiatic, Tupi-Guarani, Niger-Congolese, etc.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 12:30:06 PM by RaphaCam »

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #2031 on: November 09, 2017, 01:22:40 PM »
Obesity on the other hand is a much bigger issue

• Taxiarches
« Reply #2032 on: November 09, 2017, 04:56:39 PM »

Both factitius and facticius exist in Latin. Factitius was borrowed by English as factitious and facticius developed into feitiço in Portuguese, meaning "spell" and, by extension, eventually used in other languages to refer to the holy tokens of Pagan religions, then to the feeling toward them, then at last, to the sexual feeling. But, well, it's clearly not ultimately Portuguese, anything coming from Portuguese would be ultimately Indo-European, Afro-Asiatic, Tupi-Guarani, Niger-Congolese, etc.

My point is, the dictionary says that fetish came into English via French from Portuguese from the Latin factitious.  I'm aware that both factitious and facticius exist in Latin, but the dictionary says that factitious is the root of the English word fetish, twice removed from Portuguese and French.  That's not the etymology you're proposing.

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #2033 on: November 09, 2017, 05:02:04 PM »
Gosh can we move this discussion over to "OCnet snoozable snoozes" or something?
When a time revolts against eternity, the only thing to set against it is genuine eternity itself, and not some other time which has already roused, and not without reason, a violent reaction against itself.
- Berdyaev

If you would like a private forum for non-polemical topics, comment here.

• Taxiarches
« Reply #2034 on: November 09, 2017, 07:24:24 PM »
Thank you Antonious for starting this thread. I appreciate it. I consider this to be a really important subject as a Orthodox christian who happens to be a MS4 & has seen many patients suffering the consequences of this in my rotations.

As Orthodox christians we should strive towards embodying the truth. This means we should have the flesh reflect it.

As we say, the Tradition of the Church is a living reality, which the Orthodox Christian must live daily with it,

Heimbach has failed here as his BMI is clearly 30+(Obese). His obesity on public display is a embodiment of gluttony. Not an embodiment of the truth.

If I were to describe Heimbach with one word I would say this: Excessive.

His over-indulgence in ethnic identity is no different than his over-indulgence in food intake. The difference between the two is a difference consequence, for the former led to adoption of phyletism & the later led to gluttony... but the cause is the same. Excessive.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #2035 on: November 09, 2017, 08:58:56 PM »
My point is, the dictionary says that fetish came into English via French from Portuguese from the Latin factitious.  I'm aware that both factitious and facticius exist in Latin, but the dictionary says that factitious is the root of the English word fetish, twice removed from Portuguese and French.  That's not the etymology you're proposing.
The dictionary is wrong. Just like amitiatem has rendered amizade and sationem, sazão (not a common word, but I ran out of ideas), factitium would have rendered feitizo. Facticius could have rendered feitiço like facio rendered faço. That's a very thin glottochronological nuance I wouldn't even expect 99% from native teachers of Portuguese to think up. Using formal notation:

t > z /V_[unstressed i]V
c > c~ç /V_[unstressed i]V
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 09:03:42 PM by RaphaCam »

• Taxiarches
« Reply #2036 on: November 09, 2017, 10:06:07 PM »
The dictionary is wrong. Just like amitiatem has rendered amizade and sationem, sazão (not a common word, but I ran out of ideas), factitium would have rendered feitizo. Facticius could have rendered feitiço like facio rendered faço. That's a very thin glottochronological nuance I wouldn't even expect 99% from native teachers of Portuguese to think up. Using formal notation:

t > z /V_[unstressed i]V
c > c~ç /V_[unstressed i]V

Do I trust Raphael or the dictionary? Hmmm...maybe I'll go with you on this, since the authors of the dictionary are English speakers, but you're still a weirdo for having a nose fetish, which is how we got on this subject anyway.  ;)

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #2037 on: November 09, 2017, 10:13:38 PM »
actually Rapha is right......

dictionary.com:

Latin facticius in Spanish has become hechizo "magic, witchcraft, sorcery." Probably introduced by Portuguese sailors and traders as a name for charms and talismans worshipped by the inhabitants of the Guinea coast of Africa. Popularized in anthropology by C. de Brosses' "Le Culte des Dieux Fétiches" (1760), which influenced the word's spelling in English (French fétiche, also from the Portuguese word). Figurative sense of "something irrationally revered" is American English, 1837.

so because English folks read French books more than Portuguese....
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

• Taxiarches
« Reply #2038 on: November 09, 2017, 10:21:35 PM »
actually Rapha is right......

dictionary.com:

Latin facticius in Spanish has become hechizo "magic, witchcraft, sorcery." Probably introduced by Portuguese sailors and traders as a name for charms and talismans worshipped by the inhabitants of the Guinea coast of Africa. Popularized in anthropology by C. de Brosses' "Le Culte des Dieux Fétiches" (1760), which influenced the word's spelling in English (French fétiche, also from the Portuguese word). Figurative sense of "something irrationally revered" is American English, 1837.

so because English folks read French books more than Portuguese....

Which means, in addition to my pocket dictionary, Google is also wrong:

fet·ish

/ˈfediSH/

noun

noun: fetish; plural noun: fetishes

1. a form of sexual desire in which gratification is linked to an abnormal degree to a particular object, item of clothing, part of the body, etc.

"Victorian men developed fetishes focusing on feet, shoes, and boots"

synonyms: fixation, obsession, compulsion, mania; More
weakness, fancy, fascination, fad;

informalthing, hang-up

"he developed a bodybuilding fetish"

•an excessive and irrational devotion or commitment to a particular thing.
"he had a fetish for writing more opinions each year than any other justice"

2. an inanimate object worshiped for its supposed magical powers or because it is considered to be inhabited by a spirit.

synonyms: juju, talisman, charm, amulet; More
totem, idol, image, effigy

"an African fetish"

Origin

early 17th century (originally denoting an object used by the peoples of West Africa as an amulet or charm): from French fétiche, from Portuguese feitiço ‘charm, sorcery’ (originally an adjective meaning ‘made by art’), from Latin factitius (see factitious).

But like I said, he's still a weirdo for his nose fetish, which is how we got here.  :laugh:

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
« Reply #2039 on: November 09, 2017, 10:28:57 PM »
well no...

its saying....from the French...which in turn is from the Portuguese....

its sequential...not multi linear....

All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Ο προκαθήμενος της Ορθοδοξίας - The President of Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to FOCOF
« Reply #2040 on: November 09, 2017, 10:32:26 PM »
Gosh can we move this discussion over to "OCnet snoozable snoozes" or something?

+1
Mor Ephrem is a nice guy.  Just say sorry and it will all be ok. Say I had things that were inside troubling me but I didn't know how to express appropriately. I will not behave that way again but I am seeking help.

thank you so much Mor ephrem you are a hero!

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
« Reply #2041 on: November 09, 2017, 10:40:45 PM »

+1

so we cant discuss word development in Malayalam next?

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #2042 on: November 09, 2017, 10:49:15 PM »

+1

Oh hell no!
Mor Ephrem is a nice guy.  Just say sorry and it will all be ok. Say I had things that were inside troubling me but I didn't know how to express appropriately. I will not behave that way again but I am seeking help.

• Taxiarches
« Reply #2043 on: November 10, 2017, 09:14:57 AM »
well no...

its saying....from the French...which in turn is from the Portuguese....

its sequential...not multi linear....

Well, yes.  I never said it wasn't sequential or that is was multi-linear.  In fact, I've said exactly that from the beginning.  The dispute was on two points:

1. That it entered English DIRECTLY from Portuguese (instead of via the intermediary of French)
2. Which Latin word is the origin.  My dictionary said the same thing as the above, but if Raph knows better, that's fine with me.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #2044 on: November 10, 2017, 01:57:34 PM »
+1
Oh hell no!
I was actually going to PM you exactly about it one of these days, then I remembered you mentioned something about few practice with the written language. Please don't ask why I needed it, it gets worse.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 01:58:10 PM by RaphaCam »

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #2045 on: November 10, 2017, 02:51:27 PM »
+1
Oh hell no!
I was actually going to PM you exactly about it one of these days, then I remembered you mentioned something about few practice with the written language. Please don't ask why I needed it, it gets worse.

Nah, PM me and we'll compare notes.  I doubt the reason you want to learn how to write could possibly be "worse" than mine. 

• Taxiarches
« Reply #2046 on: November 10, 2017, 07:02:33 PM »
If you saw a pic of homos making-out, would you not conclude that this is sin? That's all I'm doing here.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #2047 on: November 10, 2017, 07:10:54 PM »
Could have entered English multiple times, too, as speakers / writers were attracted to new usages.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • I was almost normal once, but I got better.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #2048 on: November 10, 2017, 07:21:19 PM »
If you saw a pic of homos making-out, would you not conclude that this is sin? That's all I'm doing here.

Avert your eyes, Mrs Dunrite! :police:
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #2049 on: November 10, 2017, 08:49:08 PM »

Avert your eyes, Mrs Dunrite! :police:

Even in college, at the height of my religious fundamentalism, I always made an exception for lesbians. 

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Hoplitarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Censer-following zapivka-dipper
« Reply #2050 on: November 11, 2017, 12:34:09 AM »
Why?
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #2051 on: November 11, 2017, 12:39:35 AM »
It's #aGuyThing, you just wouldn't understand!

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Hoplitarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Censer-following zapivka-dipper
« Reply #2052 on: November 11, 2017, 12:58:13 AM »
Sounds gay.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #2053 on: November 11, 2017, 03:11:25 PM »
It's #aGuyThing, you just wouldn't understand!

It's a repugnant thing.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
« Reply #2054 on: November 13, 2017, 05:17:00 AM »
I love nocturnal ordinations.  They are preceded by the best stories...
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #2055 on: November 13, 2017, 11:27:42 AM »
I love nocturnal ordinations.  They are preceded by the best stories...

;)

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #2056 on: November 13, 2017, 07:31:25 PM »

Wow.  That was a bit of a low blow, wasn't it?

• Taxiarches
« Reply #2057 on: November 13, 2017, 10:21:26 PM »

Those lousy monks.  Ignoring the Reptilian problem.  What's up with that?!?  >:(

They're playing right into Diana's hands. 

Offline Alpha60

• Pray without ceasing!
  • Archon
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #2058 on: November 15, 2017, 02:26:40 AM »

Those lousy monks.  Ignoring the Reptilian problem.  What's up with that?!?  >:(

^ The best of the AN commentary.  Genuinely funny.  It brings to mind the classic SF image of Diana decadently devouring a whole guinea pig in the V miniseries.
"It is logical that the actions of the human race over time will lead to its destruction.  I, Alpha 60, am merely the agent of this destruction."

- The computer Alpha 60, from Alphaville (1964) by Jean Luc Godard, the obvious inspiration for HAL-9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey. 

This signature is not intended to offend any user, nor the relatives of Discovery 1 deputy commander Dr. Frank Poole,  and crew members Dr. Victor Kaminsky, Dr. Jack Kimball, and Dr. Charles Hunter.

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #2059 on: November 15, 2017, 06:01:15 AM »

Nah, they just got superior intel.

Madame Vastra: 'Unclench, kid. We got this.'

'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
« Reply #2060 on: November 15, 2017, 03:17:50 PM »

The most Anglo Catholic parish I have heard of is, or was, St. Magnus the Martyr, in the City of London, which is still extremely high church, but which in the 1920s served the actual Tridentine mass in Latin.  The eccentric and lovable rector from that era once greeted some low churchmen who wished to see a memorial of Wycliffe in the church dating from a more low church era in the history of the parish; when escorting them to it, this delightful priest, whose name escapes me, proudly informed these low churchmen "We have just celebrated mass in the very language from which he translated the Bible!"  :D

Excellent proto-trolling.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline mcarmichael

• Mike
  • OC.net guru
  • Jurisdiction: Mike
« Reply #2061 on: November 17, 2017, 06:48:43 PM »
My local hesychasterion follows the same blessed typikon.  May we follow its narrow path and embrace each other at the gates of theosis!
"A fool's work wearies him." - King Solomon
"If God if for us, who can be against us?" - St. Paul the Apostle
"Just hang on!" - Luke Skywalker

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #2062 on: November 17, 2017, 07:12:29 PM »
I would have thought that you, a once faithful Greco-Amish, would not be so quick to accept the premise that your entire communion is in apostasy and thrall to the Antichrist.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #2063 on: November 17, 2017, 09:02:19 PM »
My local hesychasterion follows the same blessed typikon.  May we follow its narrow path and embrace each other at the gates of theosis!

Seems like people around here are getting Mor Ephreminate every day  :police:

Offline mcarmichael

• Mike
  • OC.net guru
  • Jurisdiction: Mike
« Reply #2064 on: November 17, 2017, 09:35:25 PM »

Seems like people around here are getting Mor Ephreminate every day  :police:

I am what I am.
"A fool's work wearies him." - King Solomon
"If God if for us, who can be against us?" - St. Paul the Apostle
"Just hang on!" - Luke Skywalker

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #2065 on: November 17, 2017, 11:32:46 PM »
"The weight of the gold that was brought to Solomon was six hundred and sixty-six talents ..." (Book VIII).
The use of the number 666 raises a question of whether this is only a random coincidence that the number of the beast in Revelations is 666 as well.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #2066 on: November 26, 2017, 04:34:03 PM »
I suppose some people don't like writing Bibles because... er... they think printer ink is holy but their own ink is blasphemous? anyway, but superstitious people are always getting tripped up in the spiritual life, sadly there's nothing that can be done about that.

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #2067 on: November 29, 2017, 01:51:56 PM »
First they should investigate whether the satellite's crashing was a ritual murder.

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #2068 on: December 04, 2017, 07:10:05 PM »
His words read to me like he had some sort of disability.
Useful quote for OCnet discussions.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Two half-eggs