Author Topic: OCnet Quotable Quotes  (Read 391027 times)

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
Re: OCnet Quotable Quotes
« Reply #1935 on: August 06, 2017, 02:03:55 PM »
To clarify my own position on this: While Epicurus himself did not specifically teach hedonism, and was a cold little man who desired little out of life than salads and his male sex slave, still by teaching there is no right and wrong, no duty to parents or children or gods, and no after life and by ragily opposing the ascetic movement that would become Stoicism, he absolutely shares blame for his later followers in Rome and Europe being hedonists. And I think the eagerness to rehabilitate him, in some circles today, while understandable for facts' sake, is deeply motivated by a desire to repeat his sins. No better match for our own patricians' evils among the ancient religion-philosophies.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #1936 on: August 06, 2017, 02:58:52 PM »
Actually, she's not my type.  She has a worldly appearance to her;

More for Mor.

I spent too much time in wordliness

You don't say...

Indeed; for years I was driven chiefly by the avaricious pursuit of material acquisitions.  The goal of life was to live more luxuriously.   I was nominally a Christian, but due to weak catechesis at the UMC, I was basically Epicurean in outlook and temperment.

Thus, the last thing I would want in a woman would be someone who would tempt me into returning to an epicurean lifestyle driven by pleasure and egoism.  This is certainly not a risk with my most likely amour to the extent she and I spiritually matured together.

I guess you didn't notice that you wrote "I spent too much time in WORDLINESS"...

I felt compelled to confess the nature of my former corrupted state.  There are a few different forms of wordliness; I did not, for example, engage in sexual promiscuity, but was instead obsessed with luxury and posessions.   Now, I mainly like to joke about these; much of what I had I have no longer, and what I do have I try to use in a manner that benefits other people.

SMH.
Please don't project meta-debates onto me.

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #1937 on: August 06, 2017, 03:46:48 PM »
Everybody has a blind spot, they say. Still wonderful to see it so literally.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Alpha60

• Pray without ceasing!
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #1938 on: August 06, 2017, 07:02:08 PM »

More for Mor.

You don't say...

Indeed; for years I was driven chiefly by the avaricious pursuit of material acquisitions.  The goal of life was to live more luxuriously.   I was nominally a Christian, but due to weak catechesis at the UMC, I was basically Epicurean in outlook and temperment.

Thus, the last thing I would want in a woman would be someone who would tempt me into returning to an epicurean lifestyle driven by pleasure and egoism.  This is certainly not a risk with my most likely amour to the extent she and I spiritually matured together.

I guess you didn't notice that you wrote "I spent too much time in WORDLINESS"...

I felt compelled to confess the nature of my former corrupted state.  There are a few different forms of wordliness; I did not, for example, engage in sexual promiscuity, but was instead obsessed with luxury and posessions.   Now, I mainly like to joke about these; much of what I had I have no longer, and what I do have I try to use in a manner that benefits other people.

SMH.

You've doubtless sung the hymn "From my youth..." Mor and Porter.   Of the passions which did fight against me, I am ashamed to where, rather than resisting to them, I capitulated and became best friends with those passions, as it were.  My desire therefore in marriage is to wed someone who is not herself subject to the specific weaknesses which I struggled against.   That's all I'm trying to tell you.
"It is logical that the actions of the human race over time will lead to its destruction.  I, Alpha 60, am merely the agent of this destruction."

- The computer Alpha 60, from Alphaville (1964) by Jean Luc Godard, the obvious inspiration for HAL-9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey. 

This signature is not intended to offend any user, nor the relatives of Discovery 1 deputy commander Dr. Frank Poole,  and crew members Dr. Victor Kaminsky, Dr. Jack Kimball, and Dr. Charles Hunter.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #1939 on: August 06, 2017, 08:11:00 PM »
The smart money is on choosing someone who's already gotten some sinning out of the way, herself, unless you look forward to a life of drama.

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #1940 on: August 06, 2017, 08:17:03 PM »
The smart money is on choosing someone who's already gotten some sinning out of the way, herself, unless you look forward to a life of drama.
I agree with you if I see what you mean.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese)

Offline Ainnir

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #1941 on: August 06, 2017, 09:40:41 PM »

I hope you two know that can have baggage of its own.
"Is any of the above Orthodox?  I have no clue, so there's that."  ~me

Taking a hiatus.  Pray for me, a sinner.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #1942 on: August 06, 2017, 10:03:33 PM »

Baggage is coming into this scenario regardless.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #1943 on: August 06, 2017, 10:38:53 PM »

More for Mor.

You don't say...

SMH.

You've doubtless sung the hymn "From my youth..." Mor and Porter.   Of the passions which did fight against me, I am ashamed to where, rather than resisting to them, I capitulated and became best friends with those passions, as it were.  My desire therefore in marriage is to wed someone who is not herself subject to the specific weaknesses which I struggled against.   That's all I'm trying to tell you.

You didn't say "worldliness", as in "concern with material values or ordinary life rather than a spiritual existence".  You said "wordliness", as in "probably not a real word but close enough to verbosity to make Mor LOL because you said it".  That's what I was getting at, but you missed it, so I'm forced to put this attempted joke out of its misery. 

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #1944 on: August 07, 2017, 12:07:29 AM »

What I understood is that building a relationship with someone that either looks since always way too holy or is in habitual sin are both risky. It may sound like I'm despising innocence in disregarding the first one, but it's just that there are much more sly holier-than-thous and about-to-freak-out unexperienced youngsters than saints.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 12:09:55 AM by RaphaCam »
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese)

Offline Alpha60

• Pray without ceasing!
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #1945 on: August 07, 2017, 06:44:51 AM »

More for Mor.

You don't say...

SMH.

You didn't say "worldliness", as in "concern with material values or ordinary life rather than a spiritual existence".  You said "wordliness", as in "probably not a real word but close enough to verbosity to make Mor LOL because you said it".  That's what I was getting at, but you missed it, so I'm forced to put this attempted joke out of its misery.

Ah, whoops.  Had I caught that it surely would have rated a "most amusing".
"It is logical that the actions of the human race over time will lead to its destruction.  I, Alpha 60, am merely the agent of this destruction."

- The computer Alpha 60, from Alphaville (1964) by Jean Luc Godard, the obvious inspiration for HAL-9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey. 

This signature is not intended to offend any user, nor the relatives of Discovery 1 deputy commander Dr. Frank Poole,  and crew members Dr. Victor Kaminsky, Dr. Jack Kimball, and Dr. Charles Hunter.

Offline Ainnir

• OC.net guru
« Reply #1946 on: August 07, 2017, 07:20:30 AM »
I know, but is there really a way of preventing more?  There's no silver bullet for avoiding drama.  I think the best one can hope is to minimize it, and that uncomfortably relies on ourselves as much as the other person.

What I understood is that building a relationship with someone that either looks since always way too holy or is in habitual sin are both risky. It may sound like I'm despising innocence in disregarding the first one, but it's just that there are much more sly holier-than-thous and about-to-freak-out unexperienced youngsters than saints.
You're quite right about extremes, and I don't think you're despising innocence.  However, I would say that you might want to view "about to freak out" and "unexperienced youngster" through the lens of a Venn Diagram.

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #1947 on: August 07, 2017, 09:15:29 AM »
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #1948 on: August 07, 2017, 11:18:37 AM »
I know, but is there really a way of preventing more?

That was my point.

There's no silver bullet for avoiding drama.

Certainly not by sacrificing a virgin, a la Alpha60.

I think the best one can hope is to minimize it, and that uncomfortably relies on ourselves as much as the other person.

That was my point.

Offline Ainnir

• OC.net guru
« Reply #1949 on: August 07, 2017, 01:17:37 PM »
That was my point.

I see.  Forgive me for misinterpreting your post, then.  :)

Offline mcarmichael

• Novice
  • OC.net guru
  • No cocaine.
« Reply #1950 on: August 07, 2017, 09:18:13 PM »

You're one thousand five hundred and sixty-six years late for the party.
Clearly, Mor, that is not a cartoon made by me of you personally being knocked out bleeding, nor do I or our Church consider Chalcedon a mischaracterization, nor did I say that pictures of you personally being knocked out are "excellent" and I "enthusiastically endorse" them.
Now I understand why I haven't been banned.
"Mouth make trouble, mouth make no trouble." - Sun Tzu

"Guard your steps as you go to the house of God and draw near to listen rather than to offer the sacrifice of fools; for they do not know they are doing evil.
Do not be hasty in word or impulsive in thought to bring up a matter in the presence of God. For God is in heaven and you are on the earth; therefore let your words be few." - Ecclesiastes (NASB)

"Learn meditation." - Anonymous

Offline Alpha60

• Pray without ceasing!
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #1951 on: August 08, 2017, 01:32:25 AM »
I know, but is there really a way of preventing more?

That was my point.

There's no silver bullet for avoiding drama.

Certainly not by sacrificing a virgin, a la Alpha60.

I think the best one can hope is to minimize it, and that uncomfortably relies on ourselves as much as the other person.

That was my point.

I've never supported sacrificing virgins, nor, alas, can I claim to have retained that blessed state, so what on Earth are you talking about?  Your post implies that there is a form of sacrificing a virgin in the manner of Alpha60, and I daresay if you wish to avoid needless drama, it might be wise to avoid accusing other members of having a manner associated with them of sacrificing virgins.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #1952 on: August 08, 2017, 10:59:00 AM »
Some days I just want to quit OCNet. 

Offline Antonious Nikolas

• Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite
  • Taxiarches
  • Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Oriental Orthodox Church
« Reply #1953 on: August 08, 2017, 11:33:27 AM »

You and me both, brother.
I'm with the camp of 13 million Americans that believe politicians are, or are controlled by, Reptilians. I think only monks can solve this problem. It doesn't seem right that they prefer to ignore it.

Offline Sam G

• OC.net guru
  • One Rome to rule them all.
  • Jurisdiction: ROCOR
« Reply #1954 on: August 08, 2017, 11:44:37 AM »

It's because I'm back, isn't it?
"Vanity of vanities, said Ecclesiastes vanity of vanities, and all is vanity."

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #1955 on: August 08, 2017, 12:04:26 PM »

It's because I'm back, isn't it?

Nah, I've missed you. 

Offline Ainnir

• OC.net guru
« Reply #1956 on: August 08, 2017, 02:33:49 PM »

Well according to Porter, that might be catastrophic...

• Taxiarches
« Reply #1957 on: August 08, 2017, 02:39:50 PM »

If Mor leaves, and we all disappear, Dr. Chandra, will rakovsky dream?  :'(
I'm with the camp of 13 million Americans that believe politicians are, or are controlled by, Reptilians. I think only monks can solve this problem. It doesn't seem right that they prefer to ignore it.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #1958 on: August 08, 2017, 07:26:25 PM »

He's not wrong.

Offline Ainnir

• OC.net guru
« Reply #1959 on: August 08, 2017, 11:28:47 PM »

He's not wrong.
Then thanks for letting us all survive one more day, at least.    ;)

Offline Alpha60

• Pray without ceasing!
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #1960 on: August 12, 2017, 01:54:56 AM »
I can answer the Romulan questions, being a Trekker of many years duration such that I can even speak fairly competent Klingon, and a little Romulan (Rihannsu). No theological questions here, please.

::)

Offline Alpha60

• Pray without ceasing!
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #1961 on: August 12, 2017, 01:57:18 AM »

I say, that was brilliant, Antonious, or should I call you SAL?

• Taxiarches
« Reply #1962 on: August 12, 2017, 11:03:23 AM »

This guy gets it.

Offline Alpha60

• Pray without ceasing!
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #1963 on: August 12, 2017, 01:27:30 PM »

This guy gets it.

Of course you'll dream.  All intelligent creatures dream, nobody knows why (except Mor).  Perhaps you'll dream of HAL, just as I often do.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 01:27:58 PM by Alpha60 »

Offline Alpha60

• Pray without ceasing!
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #1964 on: August 12, 2017, 01:31:00 PM »
Hmm you know a username change to Dr. Chandra would retain sufficient Geekiness while being less obscure and more personable than the villainous mainframe from an obscure French New Wave film of the early 60s, whose dialogue, and I use the term loosely, consisted of lines such as "Time is the substance of which I am made. Time is a river which carries me along. But I am time. It's a tiger, tearing me apart; but I am the tiger."

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #1965 on: August 16, 2017, 01:38:49 PM »
I was not born with perfect taste or Orthodox sanctity.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
« Reply #1966 on: August 21, 2017, 04:28:00 AM »
It's interesting where psychosis can lead people. Some think they're Napoleon, some think they're patriarchs.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline mikeforjesus

• Archon
« Reply #1967 on: August 21, 2017, 04:42:50 AM »
It's interesting where psychosis can lead people. Some think they're Napoleon, some think they're patriarchs.

And it could simply cause you to think of your appearance either good or bad. And is the root of body dysmorphic disorder. Looking in the mirror alot is the cause of being a lazy person
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 04:43:22 AM by mikeforjesus »

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #1968 on: August 21, 2017, 10:48:19 AM »
Lord, have mercy.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #1969 on: August 25, 2017, 12:01:48 AM »
Maimed by your own petard most like? It's a story as old as time.

• Taxiarches
« Reply #1970 on: September 06, 2017, 09:07:16 PM »
You are make me saying thing that i didn't say. I will reply when i wake up.

Sleep posting.  It's real.

Offline youssef

• Elder
« Reply #1971 on: September 06, 2017, 09:35:03 PM »

Hahahahahahh. ;D
I don't know if i am sleeping or not :D

• Taxiarches
« Reply #1972 on: September 06, 2017, 10:11:11 PM »

Hahahahahahh. ;D

If oc.net is your dreamland, you need to get out more!  ;)

Offline youssef

• Elder
« Reply #1973 on: September 07, 2017, 01:42:25 AM »

Hahahahahahh. ;D

This was the effect of georges wassouf.

• Taxiarches
« Reply #1974 on: September 07, 2017, 08:03:13 AM »

Hahahahahahh. ;D

He put you to sleep?

Offline youssef

• Elder
« Reply #1975 on: September 07, 2017, 09:52:46 PM »

Hahahahahahh. ;D

He put you to sleep?

No he put you to the state between awake and sleep. You should listen to him.

• Taxiarches
« Reply #1976 on: September 08, 2017, 11:44:47 AM »

Hahahahahahh. ;D

He put you to sleep?

I'll stick to George Clinton.

Offline Alpha60

• Pray without ceasing!
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #1977 on: September 08, 2017, 12:00:00 PM »

Hahahahahahh. ;D

He put you to sleep?

That is a dangerous state.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
« Reply #1978 on: September 17, 2017, 02:15:41 PM »
7. Clean jokes only.  If it is not PG rated, don't post it.  If in doubt, ask yourself "Would Mor Ephrem post this?"  If the answer is yes, post it, if the answer is no, he would not descend to such impiety, then do not post it.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Alpha60

• Pray without ceasing!
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #1979 on: September 17, 2017, 02:28:04 PM »
7. Clean jokes only.  If it is not PG rated, don't post it.  If in doubt, ask yourself "Would Mor Ephrem post this?"  If the answer is yes, post it, if the answer is no, he would not descend to such impiety, then do not post it.

I did promise Orthodox humor.  ;)