Author Topic: OCnet Quotable Quotes  (Read 365259 times)

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
Re: OCnet Quotable Quotes
« Reply #1485 on: December 16, 2015, 03:10:27 AM »
With the exception of that last sentence, I must say Gebre, I was just talking about this very subject with a group of other people today (i.e. the feeling of guilt vs. the love of God and the feeling of guilt based on the ego).

In regard to Biro's concern that Santana's quote here was "New Age":

"I want to use my music to invite people to recognize the divinity and light that is in their DNA."

I think it's compatible with Orthodoxy really. We were created in the image of God, created for theosis. So in that sense divinity and divine light is "in our DNA." So I don't think it's some sort of heretical statement.

"God became man so that man may become god." ~ St. Athanasius ~

Selam
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 03:13:48 AM by Gebre Menfes Kidus »
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #1486 on: December 16, 2015, 06:15:11 AM »
Paste that quote over this picture instead and its demonic inspiration comes immediately clear.
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”
- from The King of Ireland's Son, by Padraic Colum

• Merarches
« Reply #1487 on: December 16, 2015, 06:33:52 AM »
Paste that quote over this picture instead and its demonic inspiration comes immediately clear.

Yeah, I haven't liked much of Santana's work from "Supernatural" onward. But he's made so much incredible music over the decades that I can forgive him for some of these less than inspired recent collaborations.

Selam
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Online Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #1488 on: December 16, 2015, 10:55:30 AM »
This is not a joke, this is me genuinely liking this quote:

Try not to make praying a moral act. What most people describe as a guilt and shame often are psychic overreactions which deplete our psyche rather than spur it to health.

Pray. If you don't. Try it the next time. See if you can't avoid the snares of the ego, which is the antithesis of the healthy conscience.

+1

This is the Orthonorm I wish we had more of. More wisdom like this please.

Reminds me of this gem from Carlos Santana:

Selam

orthonorm = Metatron
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Offline Minnesotan

• Archon
  • Milo Thatch is the ONLY Milo for me. #FreeAtlantis
« Reply #1489 on: December 16, 2015, 11:29:26 AM »

Try not to make praying a moral act. What most people describe as a guilt and shame often are psychic overreactions which deplete our psyche rather than spur it to health.

Pray. If you don't. Try it the next time. See if you can't avoid the snares of the ego, which is the antithesis of the healthy conscience.

+1

Selam

orthonorm = Metatron

For some reason, whenever I hear the name Metatron I always think it sounds like a giant Japanese robot.
I'm not going to be posting as much on OC.Net as before. I might stop in once in a while though. But I've come to realize that real life is more important.

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #1490 on: December 16, 2015, 11:41:12 AM »
With the exception of that last sentence, I must say Gebre, I was just talking about this very subject with a group of other people today (i.e. the feeling of guilt vs. the love of God and the feeling of guilt based on the ego).

"I want to use my music to invite people to recognize the divinity and light that is in their DNA."

I think it's compatible with Orthodoxy really. We were created in the image of God, created for theosis. So in that sense divinity and divine light is "in our DNA." So I don't think it's some sort of heretical statement.

Selam

the key difference in what you are saying it means...and what Santana actually said is -becoming-

become god = orthodox belief

divinity in their dna = is divine now, and by nature divine= not so orthodox belief
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

• Merarches
« Reply #1491 on: December 16, 2015, 01:43:35 PM »

Selam

the key difference in what you are saying it means...and what Santana actually said is -becoming-

divinity in their dna = is divine now, and by nature divine= not so orthodox belief

I am aware and I agree.

Selam
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #1492 on: December 16, 2015, 02:22:01 PM »
Volnutt, it's okay if you use traditional English here. This is a safe space for tradition.
God bless!

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
« Reply #1493 on: December 16, 2015, 04:48:46 PM »

Selam

I am aware and I agree.

Selam

Then you cannot say 'its compatible' with Orthodoxy.
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #1494 on: December 16, 2015, 04:49:39 PM »
I'm having weird flashbacks of the "Get Up, Stand Up" debate that got Hiwot all fired up.
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”

Offline mike

• A sexual pervert with limited English reading comprehension
  • Protostrator
  • Polish Laser Jesus shooting down schismatics
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
« Reply #1495 on: December 16, 2015, 04:50:48 PM »
I'm having weird flashbacks of the "Get Up, Stand Up" debate that got Hiwot all fired up.

This forum needs her.
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Who can watch the watchmen?
"No one is paying attention to your post reports"
Why do posters that claim to have me blocked keep sending me pms and responding to my posts? That makes no sense.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #1496 on: December 16, 2015, 04:55:31 PM »

This forum needs her.

Yes.
My only weakness is, well, never mind

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #1497 on: December 16, 2015, 05:12:36 PM »

This forum needs her.

Yes.

I'm looking over that old thread and man, she is awesome.

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me Sts. Mina & Kyrillos for my interviews
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #1498 on: December 16, 2015, 05:23:14 PM »
Here's an idea...since we are not doing POM nominations anymore, we can use this thread, not only for funny quotes, sly quotes, ironic quotes, but also quotes that you think would be edifying and beneficial, i.e. POM worthy.
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
  • Spiritual Vision of God's Radiance
  • Faith: hesychast navel gazer
  • Jurisdiction: high level theosis with pews
« Reply #1499 on: December 16, 2015, 05:24:54 PM »

This forum needs her.

Yes.

Wow I forgot all about Haile Selassie I
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #1500 on: December 16, 2015, 05:29:21 PM »
Here's an idea...since we are not doing POM nominations anymore, we can use this thread, not only for funny quotes, sly quotes, ironic quotes, but also quotes that you think would be edifying and beneficial, i.e. POM worthy.

Hear hear.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline mike

• Protostrator
« Reply #1501 on: December 16, 2015, 05:31:24 PM »

Wasn't that what this thread had been supposed to be so?
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

Why do posters that claim to have me blocked keep sending me pms and responding to my posts? That makes no sense.

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #1502 on: December 16, 2015, 05:32:28 PM »

No.
Not all who wander are lost.

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me Sts. Mina & Kyrillos for my interviews
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #1503 on: December 16, 2015, 05:34:35 PM »

It was supposed to be about small clever quotes, or a small portion of a post that is "quote worthy", not necessarily a POM.  And I've noticed sometimes when people nominated something POM, it really was meant to be a quotable.  So, instead of the confusion, this thread can be for "both".
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #1504 on: December 16, 2015, 06:55:21 PM »
I dont know very much about transgenderism. I dont know what happens in this people's brains.I think they suffer a lot and I will not condemn them and throw stones, of course.

But I believe that when one doesn't have Christ is easy to make stupid choices and doing odd things. I had done stupid things in my life and a lot when I didnt have Christ as a center.

That goes for a heterosexual person, transgender or whatever. If you dont have Christ you will do stupid things trying to find peace.... I never wanted to live as a 6 year old but maybe as an eternal teenager... or I was worried about physical appearence and doing diet and exercise to the point of becoming sick at some times....

When one finds Christ one has other priorities at life... so maybe this persons problem its not his or her transgenderism....
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #1505 on: December 16, 2015, 07:46:29 PM »

Hear hear.

Hm, I think they should be separate threads. When I go to this thread, I want zingers, craziness, and snark, not pious edification.

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
« Reply #1506 on: December 16, 2015, 07:47:24 PM »

Hear hear.

Hm, I think they should be separate threads. When I go to this forum thread, I want zingers, craziness, and snark, not pious edification.

all fixed.  ;)

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #1507 on: December 16, 2015, 07:53:49 PM »

This forum needs her.

Yes.

She does seem wonderful. I'm sorry that I missed her.

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
  • Ad Aluminum!
  • Faith: DSM 5
  • Jurisdiction: Apostle to the Church of ASD
« Reply #1508 on: December 16, 2015, 08:10:57 PM »

This forum needs her.

Yes.

She does seem wonderful. I'm sorry that I missed her.

I dunno, she had little love for the romantic larpers among us, hence her screeds against nearly all the OOs here.
January 23, 2016, 03:47:17 PM   Ad Hominem - "mere foil"   +45

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foil_(literature)

Offline Minnesotan

• Archon
  • Milo Thatch is the ONLY Milo for me. #FreeAtlantis
« Reply #1509 on: December 16, 2015, 11:11:16 PM »

"Get Up, Stand Up" sounds like the title of a song.

EDIT: Looks like it is! Bob Marley. My guess was correct.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 11:12:03 PM by Minnesotan »
I'm not going to be posting as much on OC.Net as before. I might stop in once in a while though. But I've come to realize that real life is more important.

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
« Reply #1510 on: December 16, 2015, 11:12:35 PM »

Online Mor Ephrem

• "Mor has a huge ego"
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Pope Pius XIII, play for us!
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #1511 on: December 16, 2015, 11:14:06 PM »

I didn't know you photographed my nous.
The whole forum is Mor. We're emanations of his godlike mind.

Actually, Mor's face shineth like the Sun.

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
« Reply #1512 on: December 16, 2015, 11:14:58 PM »
you were busy at that moment....totally missed me being there ;)

Offline Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #1513 on: December 16, 2015, 11:31:52 PM »

EDIT: Looks like it is! Bob Marley. My guess was correct.

Sorry, I prefer the Promise Keepers song, Stand Up, Stand Up For Jesus

wat-lady.jpg
Facts unloading, please to wait

• Merarches
« Reply #1514 on: December 17, 2015, 05:34:20 AM »

Selam

I am aware and I agree.

Selam

Then you cannot say 'its compatible' with Orthodoxy.

Depends on how you interpret it. I interpret it to mean that we are created in the divine image and created for theosis. There's a lot of wisdom to be found in unorthodox sources as long as we sift it through the lens of Orthodox truth.

Selam
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

• Merarches
« Reply #1515 on: December 17, 2015, 05:36:14 AM »

+1

Selam

orthonorm = Metatron

Props for knowing about the Santana / Metatron connection.  ;)

Selam
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #1516 on: December 17, 2015, 05:51:20 AM »
This thread has been veering off topic a lot lately. Wouldn't you all agree? ;)
Not all who wander are lost.

• Merarches
« Reply #1517 on: December 17, 2015, 06:23:09 AM »
This thread has been veering off topic a lot lately. Wouldn't you all agree? ;)

Selam
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #1518 on: December 17, 2015, 05:08:02 PM »
... "Yee haw, pardner. ROCOR OR DEATH! We cannot allow the Church to crumble!!!   Hmm? What? Oh, yeah, I'm gonna get chrismated one of these days."

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #1519 on: December 17, 2015, 06:54:32 PM »
If besmirching the name of Christ is all you have to do to get excommunicated from the EO, than you little  fellers wouldn't have much more membership than the local YMCA.  Especially if this fora sets the standard Orthodox" piety".

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #1520 on: December 17, 2015, 06:55:24 PM »
Hear ye the words of the Prophet Ezekiel!

Again he said unto me, Prophesy upon these bones, and say unto them, O ye dry bones, hear the word of the Lord.

Thus saith the Lord God unto these bones; Behold, I will cause breath to enter into you, and ye shall live:

I don't get it.
Very simple. I believe in the resurrection of the thread.

Offline Antonious Nikolas

• Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite
  • Taxiarches
  • Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra
  • Jurisdiction: Oriental Orthodox Church
« Reply #1521 on: December 17, 2015, 07:33:42 PM »
BTW, America's white nationalist heroes now have something they can confidently inscribe on their banners:

I am indeed butthurt
Now accepting brief PMs.

Online ZealousZeal

• Cosmic Knowledge Fish
  • Protokentarchos
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #1522 on: December 18, 2015, 12:30:57 AM »
I don't know why, but the Ellen G White thread is really funny to me.

There. go look yourself. oops!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 12:35:37 AM by ZealousZeal »
You want your belt to buckle, not your chair.

Offline Theophania

• Ecumenical Dissipation Association *OF* America
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #1523 on: December 18, 2015, 12:32:31 AM »
Isn't that from the private forum?
It's common knowledge that you secretly want to be born in early 17th century Russia.  As a serf or a royal, I know not.  Chances are serf.

Online ZealousZeal

• Cosmic Knowledge Fish
  • Protokentarchos
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #1524 on: December 18, 2015, 12:36:05 AM »

Ugh. Yes. Thank you. I thought it was in the public forums. I should not be foruming this late. :P
You want your belt to buckle, not your chair.

Offline Theophania

• Ecumenical Dissipation Association *OF* America
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #1525 on: December 18, 2015, 12:42:50 AM »

Ugh. Yes. Thank you. I thought it was in the public forums. I should not be foruming this late. :P

Just put it in the Politics Quotes!
It's common knowledge that you secretly want to be born in early 17th century Russia.  As a serf or a royal, I know not.  Chances are serf.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #1526 on: December 18, 2015, 02:21:46 AM »

This forum needs her.

Yes.

+1 all the above
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline mike

• Protostrator
« Reply #1527 on: December 18, 2015, 10:12:50 AM »
from here: http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,67352.msg1363033.html#msg1363033

Quote from: orthonorm
The good thing is that most of the top posters here don't have kids. The bad thing, some do.

Offline Salpy

• Toumarches
  • Holy Martyrs of the Armenian Genocide pray for us!
« Reply #1528 on: December 24, 2015, 02:01:23 AM »
From a thread featuring a bishop standing on a ladder:

Does this make him a higherarch?

Offline wgw

• All scorpions must DIE!!!
  • Taxiarches
  • This icon is of St. Athansius.
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #1529 on: December 24, 2015, 06:18:03 AM »
From a threa d featuring a bishop standing on a ladder:

Does this make him a higherarch?

That's a good one!   :D
Axios and many years to you, Fr. Trenham!