Author Topic: OCnet Quotable Quotes  (Read 389869 times)

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Je suis Janusz Korwin-Mikke
  • Faith: I'm a Vegan
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to ROCOR
Re: OCnet Quotable Quotes
« Reply #1035 on: December 16, 2014, 02:05:41 PM »
What is the difference between "Serbs" and "Croats" besides religion?
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
Leviticus 19:34

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #1036 on: December 16, 2014, 02:16:05 PM »
You've been away a while, so let me get you up to speed: JamesR is an adventurous fellow. Some folks like to travel to places they've never been before; JamesR will never discuss a subject that he knows anything about.

I think that's a bit unfair. To me, JamesR is a young man who has sincere and thoughtful questions. Sometimes he may present his questions in a declarative tone, but I really think he's just asking for sound answers. I applaud him for his intellectual curiosity and his boldness in challenging things that don't make sense to him. Sometimes we think humility means quietly accepting everything we don't understand and piously acquiescing. But I think that humility can also be demonstrated by a bold willingness to confront the status quo, knowing that you will be greatly ridiculed for doing so. JamesR is probably closer to God than many of us on this forum.

Selam

I'm sure I speak for everyone when I assure you we remain ever grateful for your illuminating and pneumatophoric discernment.  
Please don't project meta-debates onto me.

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me Sts. Mina & Kyrillos for my interviews
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #1037 on: December 16, 2014, 03:31:24 PM »
I'm sure I speak for everyone when I assure you we remain ever grateful for your illuminating and pneumatophoric discernment. 
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 03:31:35 PM by minasoliman »
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #1038 on: December 17, 2014, 12:42:32 PM »
As the great Alfred Matthew Yankovic once put it:

Now, what Mina wanna do?
Wanna be a hacker? Code cracker? Slacker?
Wastin' time with all the chatroom yakkers?
9 to 5, chillin' at Hewlett Packard?
What??
It's all about the bans! (It's all about the bans, baby)
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Serbian Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of New Gracanica
« Reply #1039 on: December 17, 2014, 04:14:57 PM »
As the great Alfred Matthew Yankovic once put it:

Now, what Mina wanna do?
Wanna be a hacker? Code cracker? Slacker?
Wastin' time with all the chatroom yakkers?
9 to 5, chillin' at Hewlett Packard?
What??
It's all about the bans! (It's all about the bans, baby)

This re-requotation deserved to be re-requoted.
Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!
  • Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #1040 on: December 17, 2014, 06:18:21 PM »
'Why THATS not Orthodox", said the little boy..."WE don't do it THAT way."  ;) ;) ;)
Am I posting? Or is it Schroedinger's Cat?

Offline TheMathematician

• Archon
  • Formerly known as Montalo
  • Jurisdiction: ACROD
« Reply #1041 on: December 24, 2014, 12:04:22 AM »
For the sake of argument, I'd like everybody to try an experiment.

Kiss a photo of your spouse privately when they don't know about it.  Then go ask them if they just felt you kiss them.    Mean it all in sincerity.   I keep hearing "kissing a photo" of an example.

If you can kiss a photo and they feel it (either physically or spiritually), then you can kiss an image and it transfers to them.  (after all they pray for us on Earth and hopefully in heaven too).  If they look at you like you've gone insane, then please consider what the Saints must be thinking (if applicable).

(Oh yes, and the photo TRULY looks like them in image)

Your experiment sucks because you're testing a spouse who is ignorant of something ("veneration") against saints who are not ignorant of that same something. 

Try my experiment.  Kiss a photo of your spouse in front of your spouse and see how she reacts.  Then stab it with a knife and set it on fire and see how she reacts.  If your spouse looks at you first with love and later with anger, then please consider what the saints must be thinking. 

Offline minasoliman

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #1042 on: December 27, 2014, 10:01:56 PM »
"The only Rock I need is Christ, the Son of the living God.  I want diamonds, though."

Diamonds are just beautiful lumps of coal. A fitting gift for a naughty girl. ;D

Offline NicholasMyra

• Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
  • Jurisdiction: Partially-overlapping
« Reply #1043 on: December 28, 2014, 02:29:36 AM »
Wandile, have you even read Vigilius' first constitutum?
Quote from: Fr. Thomas Hopko, dystopian parable of the prodigal son
...you can imagine so-called healing services of the pigpen. The books that could be written, you know: Life in the Pigpen. How to Cope in the Pigpen. Being Happy in the Pigpen. Surviving in the Pigpen. And then there could be counselling, for people who feel unhappy in the pigpen, to try to get them to come to terms with the pigpen, and to accept the pigpen.

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
« Reply #1045 on: December 29, 2014, 04:19:50 AM »

Because presuming to speak for everyone is such an act of humility and true enlightenment. I hope to one day ascend to Mor Ephrem's spiritual level. Pray for me. ;)

Selam
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 04:20:43 AM by Gebre Menfes Kidus »
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx

Offline TheMathematician

• Archon
« Reply #1046 on: December 29, 2014, 05:23:15 PM »
Ok, back on topic. Roman Catholics are horrible people who attend circus masses and kill Serbs.

/endthread
Tris, countering the foolish immaturity of Pravoslavac's posts with your own foolishly immature posts is not the way to foster a mature conversation.
I'm probably being a bit unclear. I wasn't trying to foster a mature conversation in this thread. Some threads are for mature conversations, some are just meant to take dumps in and revel at ensuing chaos.  This is one of those.

Offline minasoliman

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #1047 on: December 31, 2014, 02:06:06 PM »

Because presuming to speak for everyone is such an act of humility and true enlightenment. I hope to one day ascend to Mor Ephrem's spiritual level. Pray for me. ;)

Selam

I apologize if you took that personal.  The quote is hilarious.  That's all.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #1048 on: December 31, 2014, 02:12:11 PM »

Selam

He was probably talking to me, Mina.  ;)

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • November is short. Type fast.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #1049 on: December 31, 2014, 02:46:06 PM »
Your insulting snideness aside, Schultz, you both make good points.
'

Snideness?  Bother.  I was going for full on aggressive insulting. FAIL. 
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline ZealousZeal

• Cosmic Knowledge Fish
  • Protokentarchos
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #1050 on: January 01, 2015, 11:15:28 AM »
Does anyone here have any connection to reality?
You want your belt to buckle, not your chair.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #1051 on: January 02, 2015, 02:42:12 AM »
How do you put on pants with oout poking yourself? How hard is it to work in clothes put together like that all day with out pokes

You're going to have to explain to me what would do the poking.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
« Reply #1052 on: January 02, 2015, 02:52:51 AM »

Selam

He was probably talking to me, Mina.  ;)

Yes I was. Probably should have left it alone, but I let my pride trip me up. Forgive me.

Selam
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #1053 on: January 02, 2015, 12:51:40 PM »
Good Lord, what is this board turning into?  ???

I have no idea. But please don't use the Lord's name in that way unless you're praying. It's disrespectful.

Offline TheMathematician

• Archon
« Reply #1054 on: January 02, 2015, 01:05:40 PM »
I think so many of your threads, no matter what they purport to be about in the title, could be answered quickly by a simple banner:

WOMEN AND CHILDREN ARE NOT A PROJECT

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #1055 on: January 02, 2015, 02:50:00 PM »

I'll talk in another thread if I support that position because it is extremely complicated.

Gosh really? I know we're sinners, but haven't we suffered enough?
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline minasoliman

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #1056 on: January 02, 2015, 03:55:55 PM »
Good Lord, what is this board turning into?  ???

I have no idea. But please don't use the Lord's name in that way unless you're praying. It's disrespectful.
+1

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #1057 on: January 02, 2015, 10:38:30 PM »
I almost posted this in Other Topics, but then my sense of OC.net prevailed.

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
« Reply #1058 on: January 03, 2015, 03:31:49 PM »
CopticDeacon consider this thread your punishment for soliciting serious advice about something that's actually important to you in real life from the eclectic mix of pretentious hipster wannabe intellectuals and perverted weirdos who plague oc.net like a bad case of herpes.
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #1059 on: January 03, 2015, 04:16:09 PM »
Sorry. I know this is not a bon mot and is long for a QQ, but I still think folks might enjoy having their attention brought to it. Ebor's post deals with that kind of stuff so mind-blowingly bad it's good. :)

Welcome to the forum, TomTorbeyns.  :)

I have not looked at every page on the "Reformation" site that you linked to, but I have looked at a number of them that are on subjects that I have studied.  That site is not a reliable source to be taken with out question and checking.  It gives few sources.  I have found errors in dates and other simple facts that can be checked. One page claims that there were two men who were Walt Disney and that the 1969 landing on the Moon by Neil Armstrong was faked at the Disney studios.  www.reformation.org/british-attack-on-pearl-harbor.html

There are also some unusual theories that are not supported such as a list of "British Secret" agents that includes "Sir George Downing, Oliver Cromwell, Benjamin Franklin, George Washington, Joseph Smith, Charles Darwin, John Wilkes Booth, Napoleon Bonaparte, Antonio López de Santa Anna, Harry Houdini, Vladimir Lenin, Joseph Stalin, Éamon de Valera, J. Edgar Hoover, Charlie Chaplin, Joseph Kennedy, Walt Disney, Mr. Wallis Simpson, Juan and Eva Perón, John Kerry, etc." as well as Adolf Hitler.  http://www.reformation.org/british-secret-service-agent-adolf-hitler.html

And that the Romanov Imperial family was not murdered in Ekaterinaburg but rather was transported across to a ship at Vladivostok and were supposed to get to Great Britain but were then on a ship that was likely torpedoed by a German U-boat. http://www.reformation.org/real-end-of-the-romanovs-revealed.html

as well as out-right scurrilous assertions such as that the late Queen Mother Elizabeth was "the daughter of a French pastry cook named Marguerite Rodiere."   http://www.reformation.org/british-attack-on-pearl-harbor.html
Or that Wallis Warfield Simpson was male http://www.reformation.org/british-secret-agent-wallis-simpson.html

It is also extremely anti-Roman Catholic, full of other conspiracy theories about the Kennedy family, that Queen Elizabeth I was really Shakespeare, that George Washington didn't own a Bible but went to "mass" in Philadelphia and more.  

It is not a reliable source for any history.

with respect,

Ebor
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 04:16:43 PM by Porter ODoran »
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline mike

• A sexual pervert with limited English reading comprehension
  • Protostrator
  • Polish Laser Jesus shooting down schismatics
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
« Reply #1060 on: January 08, 2015, 03:04:22 PM »
Cats do evolve from cats, but not from dragons.
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Who can watch the watchmen?
"No one is paying attention to your post reports"
Why do posters that claim to have me blocked keep sending me pms and responding to my posts? That makes no sense.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #1061 on: January 09, 2015, 09:35:04 AM »
Is it a thread about menstruation?

Kind of.  Some evangelicals' cycles are syncing.
God bless!

Offline Antonious Nikolas

• Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite
  • Taxiarches
  • Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Oriental Orthodox Church
« Reply #1062 on: January 09, 2015, 01:29:24 PM »
No Mascot.

No more anime threads.

No more youth oriented asian pop groups....unless they are singing Orthodox hymns or something.

For the love of......

Just because there is an Other topics area here, doesn't mean it needs to be polluted with every vile thing imaginable under the guise of 'well i like it'

I'm with the camp of 13 million Americans that believe politicians are, or are controlled by, Reptilians. I think only monks can solve this problem. It doesn't seem right that they prefer to ignore it.

Offline mabsoota

• Archon
  • Kyrie eleison
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox (Coptic)
« Reply #1063 on: January 10, 2015, 02:21:17 PM »
I usually speak to visitors and welcome them but without asking a lot of prying personal questions.  If someone looks bewildered, I might ask them if they have ever visited an Orthodox Church before.  But that's about it.  I would never ask the following questions of a visitor:

1. Where do you work?
2. Are you married? 
3. Why aren't you married?
4. Is your spouse Orthodox?
5. Are you dissatisfied with your current church?
6. How old are you?
7. What does your wife think about you attending the Orthodox Church?
8. I bet your kids think you've adopted some bizarre Eastern European tribal religion, huh?
9. Are you legally going to change your name to your patron saint's name when you are chrismated?
10. Have you ever considered the monastic life?

great questions NOT to ask!
i would add:
11. do you have children?
12. why don't you have children? may God give you many children!

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #1064 on: January 10, 2015, 02:23:41 PM »
Your two questions sound like ones a "cradle" would ask; some of Tikhon's sound like ones from a mostly-convert parish.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
« Reply #1065 on: January 10, 2015, 02:32:00 PM »
I usually speak to visitors and welcome them but without asking a lot of prying personal questions.  If someone looks bewildered, I might ask them if they have ever visited an Orthodox Church before.  But that's about it.  I would never ask the following questions of a visitor:

1. Where do you work?
2. Are you married? 
3. Why aren't you married?
4. Is your spouse Orthodox?
5. Are you dissatisfied with your current church?
6. How old are you?
7. What does your wife think about you attending the Orthodox Church?
8. I bet your kids think you've adopted some bizarre Eastern European tribal religion, huh?
9. Are you legally going to change your name to your patron saint's name when you are chrismated?
10. Have you ever considered the monastic life?

great questions NOT to ask!
i would add:
11. do you have children?
12. why don't you have children? may God give you many children!

Yes, these questions should be left to intimidating yiayias.

Offline mike

• Protostrator
« Reply #1066 on: January 11, 2015, 09:50:47 PM »
What is it with this board and marrying cousins?
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

Why do posters that claim to have me blocked keep sending me pms and responding to my posts? That makes no sense.

Offline mike

• Protostrator
« Reply #1067 on: January 13, 2015, 07:08:54 AM »
Did I mention I go to a Russian mission parish where all the women are married to American Protestants so there are no men to take charge and control the kids.  (side note: I'm not Russian and I don't speak Russian. I just go there because the priest is from Mt Athos)

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
« Reply #1068 on: January 13, 2015, 03:29:56 PM »

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #1069 on: January 16, 2015, 08:40:54 PM »

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #1070 on: January 18, 2015, 11:57:04 PM »

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
« Reply #1071 on: January 22, 2015, 04:23:54 PM »
It is well known that catholic traitors have been agitating the crowds against the lawfully elected govt.

Is there any way of telling apart the traitor clergy from the orthodox ones?

I have no problem with Catholics, but you're right in saying that the Western Ukrainian Catholics are the biggest supporters of this.

I was going to possibly get a job in Ukraine last year, but by the end of 2013 I had to change my plans due to this senseless crap.

If Ukraine continues down this road, it will not be a good thing for the Orthodox Church in Ukraine. The fools at those protests are wanting to align their country with the Beast- the same Beast that was behind the persecution of Orthodox Serbs all over the former Yugoslavia in the 90s. The same Beast that demonizes Russia now.

And no, that is not a political statement. I am apolitical, and I do not vote. Hell, I only voted in three elections before I realized how much of a crapboarding farce it is.

GOD SAVE THE TSAR.

AND KEEP HIM FAR AWAY FROM US  :)

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #1072 on: January 23, 2015, 03:30:51 PM »
Please break out of that kind of silly conspiracy theories.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #1073 on: January 23, 2015, 07:04:09 PM »
There is no Roman Catholic Church.

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
« Reply #1074 on: January 23, 2015, 07:05:02 PM »
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 07:05:29 PM by LBK »

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs

Offline Theophania

• Ecumenical Dissipation Association *OF* America
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #1076 on: January 23, 2015, 08:35:20 PM »
It's common knowledge that you secretly want to be born in early 17th century Russia.  As a serf or a royal, I know not.  Chances are serf.

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
« Reply #1077 on: January 24, 2015, 04:02:13 AM »

Offline Kerdy

• Taxiarches
« Reply #1078 on: January 24, 2015, 05:37:24 AM »
There is no Roman Catholic Church.
There isnt.  There is the Catholic Church with various rites.  This simple concept repeatedly escaping you is mind boggling.  Ever read the Nicene Creed?

Offline Kerdy

• Taxiarches
« Reply #1079 on: January 24, 2015, 05:38:13 AM »