Author Topic: Random Postings  (Read 6045111 times)

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
Re: Random Postings
« Reply #27765 on: Yesterday at 12:10:39 AM »
Can someone explain what a "monarchist anarchist" is?

It's detritus of someone's desperate casting about for understanding. Pitiable if the subject weren't so hellbent on sounding cocksure.

Confucius, that detached aristocrat, tried to reason inoffensively around the tensions of his day, the natural autarchy confronted by the growing royal cult. In the end, Chinese urban society would be made of many autarchic units, units of space and function, a grand lesson to us today if we could hear it. But Mr. Hart lacks the intellectual fortitude to absorb, much less produce, such ideas. "Monarchist anarchy" is one of the sounds of that indigestion.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
  • Jurisdiction: The thrilling romance of Holy Orthodoxy
« Reply #27766 on: Yesterday at 12:49:05 AM »
I love your takedowns of DBH. I'd pay money to see you and him go at it in a debate. :laugh:

I have this feeling if you ever read DBH's NT translation and post a lengthy review on this board tearing it to shreds, that would probably be your greatest post ever. Whenever I read his NT translation I sometimes smile at his idiosyncrasies and say to myself "I wonder how Porter would react."
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Modernist thinking and being consists of nothing but uncritical acceptance.

Online Antonis

• Μέγα το Θαύμα!
  • Section Moderator
  • Archon
  • Faith: Our Holy Orthodoxy
  • Jurisdiction: Holy Phanar
« Reply #27767 on: Yesterday at 08:48:32 AM »
Can someone explain what a "monarchist anarchist" is?

It's detritus of someone's desperate casting about for understanding. Pitiable if the subject weren't so hellbent on sounding cocksure.

Confucius, that detached aristocrat, tried to reason inoffensively around the tensions of his day, the natural autarchy confronted by the growing royal cult. In the end, Chinese urban society would be made of many autarchic units, units of space and function, a grand lesson to us today if we could hear it. But Mr. Hart lacks the intellectual fortitude to absorb, much less produce, such ideas. "Monarchist anarchy" is one of the sounds of that indigestion.
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
For our impious, godless, and faithless rulers, the persecutors of our holy Faith and Fatherland, the members of our parliament who hate and wrong us, and for their repentance, let us pray to the Lord.
--Petition, Kalavrytan Rite

"This is the one from the beginning, who seemed to be new, yet was found to be ancient and always young, being born in the hearts of the saints."
Letter to Diognetus 11.4

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #27768 on: Yesterday at 12:04:32 PM »
I love your takedowns of DBH. I'd pay money to see you and him go at it in a debate. :laugh:

I have this feeling if you ever read DBH's NT translation and post a lengthy review on this board tearing it to shreds, that would probably be your greatest post ever. Whenever I read his NT translation I sometimes smile at his idiosyncrasies and say to myself "I wonder how Porter would react."

I don't want to read it but suppose I should. In my old age I prefer to read things I love.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #27769 on: Today at 11:44:41 AM »
Those who do not co-suffer with those who live in great pain are suffering from the most fatal of spiritual illnesses ... Mercilessness.

- Saint Paisios the New, of Mt Athos
« Last Edit: Today at 11:44:57 AM by RobS »
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #27770 on: Today at 01:38:58 PM »
Those who do not co-suffer with those who live in great pain are suffering from the most fatal of spiritual illnesses ... Mercilessness.

- Saint Paisios the New, of Mt Athos

Very good.

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #27771 on: Today at 01:47:43 PM »
I don't want to read it but suppose I should. In my old age I prefer to read things I love.
I'm not as old as you are but I agree with that. Life's too short to be reading things you don't like or not interested in. Unless someone is giving you money to do it.

With DBH I'd imagine you'd want a hefty sum. :laugh:
« Last Edit: Today at 01:48:44 PM by RobS »

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #27772 on: Today at 02:11:21 PM »
I didn't know DBH went for anarcho-monarchism. I thought it had mainly to do with Tolkien aficionados who daydream about living in hobbit houses or something.
Don John pounding from the slaughter-painted poop
- GK Chesteron, "Lepanto"