OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 03:15:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sunday of Orthodoxy traditions  (Read 1721 times) Average Rating: 0
Paisius
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Wherever the wind blows......

Scheherazade

« on: March 14, 2008, 12:37:15 AM »

In our parish before the Liturgy all of the children of the parish process into the church carrying the icons. As they are doing this the entire congregation sings O Lord save thy people while the bells are rung. It is quite a moving experience so I'm curious, what do you do at your parish?

Thanks.....

Yours in Christ
Paisius

"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." - Frédéric Bastiat
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2008, 12:58:03 AM »

We follow the Icons in procession out of the Church, and circle the monastery grounds chanting the hymn "“We reverence Thy sacred Image O Christ...”.
After Liturgy, we chant the Hymn "Who is so Great a God as our God?" in Greek, Slavonic, Arabic and English.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 12:58:13 AM »

Aw, heck.  I've been at the local GOA cathedral for the city-wide pan-Orthodox celebration of the Sunday of Orthodoxy virtually every year since I was chrismated in 1997, so I have no idea what my own parish does for this day.  Since the celebration includes people from many different parishes in three or four different jurisdictions, our procession is so large that we need the police just to block off the streets surrounding the cathedral.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 01:05:01 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Paisius
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Wherever the wind blows......

Scheherazade

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 01:18:31 AM »

We follow the Icons in procession out of the Church, and circle the monastery grounds chanting the hymn "“We reverence Thy sacred Image O Christ...”.
After Liturgy, we chant the Hymn "Who is so Great a God as our God?" in Greek, Slavonic, Arabic and English.
That sounds incredible!

Yours in Christ
Paisius

"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." - Frédéric Bastiat
Starlight
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of USA (Ecumenical Patriarchate)

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 10:51:39 PM »

In Boston and Washington, DC it is being done in different locations each year. Traditionally, in Boston it used to be mostly Holy Annuncialtion Greek Orthodox Cathedral (http://www.annunciationcathedral.net/) before.
Then it started to transpire in different places. This year it will be at Saint Sava Serbian Orthodox Church, Cambridge, MA. http://www.stsavaboston.org/
« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 10:52:03 PM by Starlight » Logged
katherine 2001
High Elder

Eastern Orthodox Church--Established in 33 A.D.

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2008, 03:30:21 PM »

In our parish, we each bring an icon of our patron saint and then have a procession after the liturgy with each of us carrying our icon.  I may bring both my icons of St. Katherine (my patron saint), and St. Nicholai of Zhicha (our parish's patron saint).  We are celebrating his feast day tomorrow (though it is actually on Tuesday), since it is the Sunday closest to his feast day.  Therefore, I may carry both icons and honor both St. Katherine and St. Nicholai (though our church is named St. Nicholas of South Canaan--it is the same saint).   
Trudy

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2008, 08:29:29 PM »

In our parish, after Liturgy, all the kids process in to the Nave carrying their favorite icons they brought from home or ones from church.  Once they get to the front, they form a semi-circle.  Four or five students read aloud to the parishioners what I've given them that tells the history of the Triumph of Orthodoxy.  Then when the parishioners come to venerate the cross, they venerate each of the icons the kids are holding.

It's really rather neat!  I'm planning on bringing my icon of St. Silouan the Athonite and Blessed Fr. Sophrony that I made and had blessed.

He has shown you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justly, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God?  Micah 6:8
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2008, 09:13:42 PM »

After Liturgy, there is a procession around the church with icons. This year, Sunday of Orthodoxy will be great at my parish because we just had a bunch of new icons installed in the church over the week. I think the best part of Sunday of Orthodoxy is the Sunday of Orthodoxy Vespers where all the Orthodox churches in town (three Antiochian, Greek, Romanian, and Russian) get together and celebrate the service together. Every year it is at a different parish. Such a wonderful service.
monkvasyl
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: UOC 0f USA

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2009, 03:21:07 PM »

In our parish, the Sunday School children decorate icon prints that they will procession around the inside of the church.  At the end of the procession, Father will bless the icons and collect them.  It is our custom for Father to give these to the people he will be making sick calls to through the year.  Helps to remind those who are sick and/or a shut-in that the parish still remembers them with love and their prayers.  It was extra special, this year, since there was no joint Orthodox celebration in Boston.

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2009, 04:29:23 PM »

Morning: The children bear icons in a procession around the inside of the Church while the choir sings "We venerate Your Image," then the whole congregation reads the Synodikon of Orthodoxy (ok, an abridged version), and sings "Who is so great a God."  After the children are blessed and leave, we have a memorial service for the departed members of the Philoptohos society.

Evening: The clergy and people of the 8 Akron-area Orthodox Churches gather for Vespers, a speaker (usually a clergyman), and Lenten meal at one of the Churches.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: