OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 26, 2014, 01:27:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are road signs in Ireland in English?  (Read 2204 times) Average Rating: 0
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« on: January 25, 2009, 03:53:39 PM »

This thread was split from the following topic:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,19312

--YtterbiumAnalyst

Now, if Jenn had said to me, "Maureen, I think I am going to take another car and just drive my own way without any maps or GPS devices," I would have told her she was crazy. While there was a chance that she could have gotten to our destinations by just pointing the car in the general direction of our destination, there was also a very good chance she'd get lost on a round-about or get stuck in a sheep pasture on the way. (If anyone has ever been to Ireland, you know that this is a very real possibility!  Cheesy )

Are the highway signs in Ireland in English?

I had the maps and I had the GPS device. It would have been insane for Jenn to try to make the voyage on her own.

What if Jenn made it to Dublin by herself without help from maps or GPS devices?  Would she be considered proud, boastful, highly intelligent, a combination of the three or simply lucky?  As an analogy, I can drive around in 5 States without a map or GPS by following highway signs (or stopping at gas stations and reading a map to quickly pinpoint where I am).

It's the same thing with those outside the Church. Yeah, there's a chance that they may end up in heaven, but why run the risk of getting stuck on a round-about when you know someone who has the map?

There are a lot of false maps out there....

« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 11:31:58 PM by ytterbiumanalyst » Logged
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 05:41:39 PM »

Now, if Jenn had said to me, "Maureen, I think I am going to take another car and just drive my own way without any maps or GPS devices," I would have told her she was crazy. While there was a chance that she could have gotten to our destinations by just pointing the car in the general direction of our destination, there was also a very good chance she'd get lost on a round-about or get stuck in a sheep pasture on the way. (If anyone has ever been to Ireland, you know that this is a very real possibility!  Cheesy )

Are the highway signs in Ireland in English?

I had the maps and I had the GPS device. It would have been insane for Jenn to try to make the voyage on her own.

What if Jenn made it to Dublin by herself without help from maps or GPS devices?  Would she be considered proud, boastful, highly intelligent, a combination of the three or simply lucky?  As an analogy, I can drive around in 5 States without a map or GPS by following highway signs (or stopping at gas stations and reading a map to quickly pinpoint where I am).

It's the same thing with those outside the Church. Yeah, there's a chance that they may end up in heaven, but why run the risk of getting stuck on a round-about when you know someone who has the map?

There are a lot of false maps out there....

I think you completely missed the point of my story. I was trying to paint Orthodoxy as the true way, and others as unsure. Nowhere did I use the words "proud, boastful, highly intelligent, a combination of the three or simply lucky." I was not making a judgment on anyone.

Thank you for completely ruining my analogy.

Have a nice day.

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
GreekChef
Prez
High Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America: Metropolis of Atlanta

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 06:13:12 PM »

Indeed we were. God has been wonderfully merciful to us.

God hasn't been merciful to Eastern Orthodoxy, Roman Catholicism and other branches of Protestantism?

No: I quote them because what they say is true and edifying.

Your own scholars haven't written anything on par with the Orthodox scholars you cite?

As far as winding up with an Orthodox mindset, I began a thread on this board plainly saying I have joined in order to learn both for my own benefit and for that of those to whom I sometimes give teaching, preaching or writing.

The Divine Liturgy has a passage asking to bless all which is good and beneficial to us.  Many people misinterpret that passage to imply blessing for all ulterior motives like: financial gain, secular power, success with the opposite sex, well behaved children, obedient pets, well maintained expensive automobiles, et al.; However, like the Parable of the 10 Lepers which was read on Sunday 1/18, only one healed Leper, a Samaritan, came back to Christ and thanked Him for the gift of healing while the other 9 supposedly went among their business.  Do you give thanks to Christ for how many Orthodox are converted to the Baptist faith?

I can't. There is often a prompt recognition among Christians who meet for the first time as strangers that "this person knows and loves the same Lord as I do": if you like, a family likeness which transcends age, nationality, education, or culture. It is often possible to be fairly sure of who is saved; of others it is often easy to be sure they are not (murderers, rapists, blasphemers...). But you rightly observe that there are very many whose state is known only to God.

So, you conclude that people who are incarcerated for murder, rape or other crimes are outside of the Lord's Salvation?  As for blasphemers, are they also outside the Lord's Salvation?  A lot of people in Albania have been in spiritual prison for decades due to the previous political climate.  Does your ministry serve as visitation to those who have been imprisoned due to political circumstances beyond their control?  Before your missionary organization showed up in Albania, were the people of Albania beyond the Lord's Salvation like the murderer, rapist or blasphemer?

I'm not sure I understand what this has to do with the question of the existence of a True Church.  I sort of feel that this line of discussion is tangential to this thread.  This seems like an attempt to provoke, rather than being productive and moving the conversation forward.  I don't mean this offensively, only to understand what you are trying to say.

Whoever receives one little child like this in My name receives Me.
Matthew 18:5
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 08:04:17 PM »

I think you completely missed the point of my story. I was trying to paint Orthodoxy as the true way, and others as unsure. Nowhere did I use the words "proud, boastful, highly intelligent, a combination of the three or simply lucky." I was not making a judgment on anyone.

Have a nice day.

Nowhere did I use the words "judgment" and my interpretation of your analogy was completely misinterpreted.   Sad
GreekChef
Prez
High Elder

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 08:13:51 PM »

Have a nice day.

Nowhere did I use the words "judgment" and my interpretation of your analogy was completely misinterpreted.   Sad

As I said before, your posts were totally unclear.  Handmaiden, when she said "judgment," was referring to the clear value judgment implied by the words "proud, boastful, highly intelligent," etc.  Would you care to explain the post directed at Handmaiden (to which she responded), as well as the post directed toward David Young (to which he also responded)?  Because as of yet, I have the sneaking suspicion that the rest of us are still in the dark as to what you are trying to say.  And my assertion still stands- that your posts seem to be only provoking and not advancing the conversation at all.

SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 08:20:33 PM »

^ I'm not going to engage in 2 against 1 (e.g. 2 people from the same Orthodox community in the same city) discussion.  Ask a more specific question; you'll receive a more specific answer or better yet, create a separate thread.  Thank You.

PS: Presbytera, I know you're not a moderator; However, my discussion with David Young and my interpretation of Handmaiden's story are on point.  I apologize if you failed to understand my logic.  I wish you would ask more specific questions to obtain more specific answers for it is not my intent to provoke.  I'll take time away from this board before I'm accused of provoking anyone.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 08:26:03 PM by SolEX01 » Logged
GreekChef
Prez
High Elder

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2009, 08:34:29 PM »

^ I'm not going to engage in 2 against 1 (e.g. 2 people from the same Orthodox community in the same city) discussion.  Ask a more specific question; you'll receive a more specific answer or better yet, create a separate thread.  Thank You.

PS: Presbytera, I know you're not a moderator; However, my discussion with David Young and my interpretation of Handmaiden's story are on point.  I apologize if you failed to understand my logic.  I wish you would ask more specific questions to obtain more specific answers for it is not my intent to provoke.  I'll take time away from this board before I'm accused of provoking anyone.

I'm sorry, I didn't realize I was tag-teaming anyone.  My relationship with Handmaiden as a fellow parishioner has nothing to do with anything.  I was simply trying to clarify what she said, and ask for clarification from you.

If I had any clue as to what you were trying to say, I would ask more specific questions.  I thought, "could you please clarify" was a fair question.  If not, well then, my bad.  Smiley

PS: any reason you responded in blue, as though you are a moderator?

SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 12:20:26 AM »

I'm sorry, I didn't realize I was tag-teaming anyone.  My relationship with Handmaiden as a fellow parishioner has nothing to do with anything.  I was simply trying to clarify what she said, and ask for clarification from you.

Apology accepted although as a Presbytera, any relationship with you is bound to carry more weight (or increased availability via IM, Chat, etc.)....

If I had any clue as to what you were trying to say, I would ask more specific questions.  I thought, "could you please clarify" was a fair question.  If not, well then, my bad.  Smiley

I respect your intelligence; I would like to hear your opinion regarding my discussion with David Young.  If you notice, He and I respond to direct questions.  BTW, good point regarding how David Young can recite the Nicene Creed while not believing in any of the Orthodox Saints who played an instrumental role in formulating the Creed.   Grin

In the 9 months I've been here, I've always used blue to identify users and to identify text which was either changed or added since the initial post.  I observed how others used color to identify users and modified posts and I followed that example.  I feel that the example has worked and I have never used color to claim any role as a moderator.  If the moderators felt that I was subverting them, I would have heard something from them and stopped the offending behavior.

Presbytera, I do have an issue since you admit to being relatively young and many moons have passed since I encountered a woman who can hold her own in theological discussion.  Maybe that can be discussed in a different thread or perhaps here?
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2009, 01:30:07 AM »

For the record, road signs in Ireland are in English and Irish, both being the official languages of Ireland. Then you always have road signs such as the attached...
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 01:32:07 AM by HandmaidenofGod » Logged

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2009, 01:43:57 AM »

In the 9 months I've been here, I've always used blue to identify users and to identify text which was either changed or added since the initial post.  I observed how others used color to identify users and modified posts and I followed that example.  I feel that the example has worked and I have never used color to claim any role as a moderator.  If the moderators felt that I was subverting them, I would have heard something from them and stopped the offending behavior.
That's because most of us mods rarely post moderatorial statements in blue type--we most often prefer green, red if WE REALLY WANT TO MAKE A POINT.

Presbytera, I do have an issue since you admit to being relatively young and many moons have passed since I encountered a woman who can hold her own in theological discussion.  Maybe that can be discussed in a different thread or perhaps here?
Was that supposed to be some kind of sexist comment? Wink
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2009, 01:55:03 AM »

That's because most of us mods rarely post moderatorial statements in blue type--we most often prefer green, red if WE REALLY WANT TO MAKE A POINT.

Was that directed as a general comment, directed to me, Presbytera or both?

Was that supposed to be some kind of sexist comment? Wink

No ... Would initial shock followed by long periods of uncertainty be too strong of a description?   Huh  Smiley

EDIT: Or a flashback from my own past?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 01:56:15 AM by SolEX01 » Logged
GreekChef
Prez
High Elder

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2009, 10:22:29 AM »

Apology accepted although as a Presbytera, any relationship with you is bound to carry more weight (or increased availability via IM, Chat, etc.)....
I appreciate the sentiment, but I assure you, my opinion carries no more weight than anybody else's, if I'm understanding what you are saying correctly.

I respect your intelligence; I would like to hear your opinion regarding my discussion with David Young.  If you notice, He and I respond to direct questions.  BTW, good point regarding how David Young can recite the Nicene Creed while not believing in any of the Orthodox Saints who played an instrumental role in formulating the Creed.   Grin
Thanks!  Seemed like the logical conclusion.  I enjoyed your last post to him, it definitely clarified what you were getting at.

I had never noticed that.  It just seemed like you were trying to make a point about moderators (and me not being one) by using colors.  Sorry that I misunderstood.

I welcome any such questions!  Feel free to ask here or over the PM system.  I don't mind.  In fact, I'm doing a retreat with the high school girls about the very subject of what are and are not acceptable roles for women within the church construct (it IS acceptable for women to chant, it is NOT acceptable for women to be ordained to the priesthood and why, etc...).  I'm really excited about it.  I think that it's really important for someone to clarify these issues for young women.  They are uneducated and thus assume that it is unacceptable for them to do anything, which, of course, is not true.  This lack of education about these matters is, in fact, probably the reason that you have rarely encountered a woman who can speak intelligently of theology.  I myself know many, probably because I have made a point of having relationships with women like my presbytera from my home parish, who has a Masters of Theological Studies and can speak very intelligently.  She set an amazing example for me of how women can be educated, work in the church, teach the youth, educate others, participate in conversations, etc., without going overboard and becoming some far left, bra burning women's lib. nut who advocates woman's ordination. Smiley

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2009, 12:42:37 PM »

Not meaning to be difficult, but this example of maps/gps would seem to demand that others just accept ones maps etc without question.  Whereas, there could be other, possibly more accurate or not, maps and equipment.  I suppose what I'm trying to get at, yet not offend, is the person with the "maps" is sure that she/he has the best/Right guide and that other people should somehow know that and go along with that.  My point is that the "claim" to the "One Right Way" is naturally accepted by those who agree/belong but why should that be an authority to others?

Undecided

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Kav

Jurisdiction: romanian in USA

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2009, 02:17:43 PM »

Speaking the sweet gaelic is sadly reduced to I.R. A. veterans, a shrinking population in the western gaeltacht and the diaspora of american wiccans; a group with a saxon name and
ersatz smorgasbourg of celtic mythology and RANK studio B movies.

There are many 'maps' of Ireland, ancient stoneworks of old tribal boundaries, UK survey maps
( the ones for the 6 counties unavailable for many years to confound IRA men from knowing where they were in their own land) the rails and modern road system still confounded by schedules and priorities set since those ancient stoneworks were erected.

Now, the trick to navigating Ireland, or any metaphorical equivelent is to FIRST KNOW WHERE, AND WHO YOU ARE, and WHERE YOU WISH TO GO.

It goes like this- Ah you be a yank wanting to see his ancestral home I imagine? No, I'm looking for Dairmuid Caomhanach just paroled from from Portlaiosh Gaol. Ah, um well yes, and is he a friend? No ( lower voice and look around) Misha an Oglaigh na Eirrrean. And even if your native contact was dreaming of the Manx Hillman for sale for a few irish pounds during gaelic class he instantly realises you're somebody probably being followed by the Gardai. He gives you the most direct route to your destination, praying you leave rapidly.

People who know who they are and where they are going to meet  somebody always arrive via faith.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 02:21:50 PM by Kav » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: