OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 24, 2014, 11:40:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Election Process for Patriarch has commenced in Moscow  (Read 1631 times) Average Rating: 0
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« on: January 25, 2009, 02:04:30 AM »

Asking the prayers of all for this election which commences today (Sunday)
as the 170 bishops commence a two-day Council to choose 3 candidates.  These
names will then be presented on Tuesday to the 700 or so delegates at the
two-day Great Council of priests, monastics and laypeople .  Our Australian
diocese has four representatives - our metropolitan, a senior priest, an
abbess and a deacon.

For weal or woe, the selection of Patriarch will set the tone of the
Russian Orthodox Church for many years to come.  Oremus.

Fr Ambrose

Metropolitan Kyrill:  During the days ahead we ask all  the faithful to pray
for the election:  "Lord, bless the election of a Patriarch in Moscow."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Russian church prepares to elect new patriarch
http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5jwl3r5FRHiMptE0XlDDYBv760q4g
2 hours ago

MOSCOW (AFP) — The Russian Orthodox Church on Sunday [today]starts the process for electing a new patriarch to head a church enjoying a post-Soviet boom in popularity and cosy relations with the Kremlin.

Church leaders from across the Russian Orthodox world will choose a shortlist of three candidates to head the church after the death last month of Alexy II, its first patriarch of the post-Soviet era.

A wider meeting of the full Church Council 'priest, monks, nuns. laypeople], also at the vast Christ the Saviour Cathedral in Moscow, will be held next week to choose the new patriarch by Thursday [29 January] before his enthronement next weekend.

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 12:27:25 PM »

metropolitans Ciril of Smolensk and Kaliningrad, Climent of Kaluga and Borovsk and Filaret of Minsk and Slutzk (Belarus) are candidates for patriarch

Interfax

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
MLPB

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 01:44:38 PM »

This is sad, if true:
http://www.rferl.org/content/Russian_Orthodox_Church_Airs_Its_Dirty_Laundry/1374766.html
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 01:47:19 PM »

When do we find out who is the new Patriarch?
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 01:52:09 PM »

The Local Council begins tomorrow and lasts until 29th so for You Americans votes will have been counted until Thursday early morning.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Nigula Qian Zishi
Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 11:21:48 AM »

Russian Orthodox Church chooses between ex-KGB candidates as Patriarch
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/faith/article5594067.ece

The Russian Orthodox Church will choose tomorrow between three alleged former KGB agents as its next spiritual leader.

More than 700 priests, monks and lay representatives will decide who should become the new Patriarch in the first Church election since the collapse of the Soviet Union.

The contest at Christ the Saviour Cathedral in Moscow pits the favourite, Metropolitan Kirill of Smolensk and Kaliningrad, against two rivals who also rose through the heirarchy at a time when the Church was under strict Communist control.

Metropolitan Kliment of Kaluga and Borovsk, 59, is in charge of economic affairs, and Metropolitan Filaret of Minsk and Slutsk, 73, is head of the Church in Belarus. The winner of the contest, which could last until Thursday, will be the 16th Patriarch of a Church with 165 million believers.

The election is taking place following the death of Patriarch Aleksiy II in December. He was elected in 1990 as the Soviet regime neared collapse and oversaw a resurgence in Orthodox belief in Russia, opening thousands of new churches.

The Patriarch's reputation was tainted by allegations that he had been a long-serving KGB agent codenamed "Drozdov" (thrush), who had been awarded a "certificate of honour" for his service in 1988.

Material from the KGB archives examined by a parliamentary committee led by a dissident priest, Father Gleb Yakunin, in 1992 also revealed that most of the Church heirarchy was infiltrated by the secret police.

Kirill, 62, was alleged to be an agent codenamed Mikhailov and Filaret was identified as agent Ostrovskii. Kliment has been accused of working as a KGB agent named Topaz, although the documentary evidence is more sketchy.

Metropolitan Filaret, who has held his post in Minsk since 1978, was head of the Church's external relations department in the 1980s. Metropolitan Kirill has been head of the same powerful department since 1989.

Kliment, who completed his studies in 1974, made official visits to the United States and Canada in the 1980s. Antoine Niviere, editor of the Orthodox Press Service in Paris, described him as "a man of the shadows of the system".

A former KGB officer named Shushpanov broke cover in 1992 to reveal that most of those who worked in the external relations department were agents, expected to report on contacts with foreigners at home and abroad.

Felix Corley of Forum 18, a body that monitors religious freedom, said that there was no doubt that senior Church leaders collaborated with the KGB.

Mr Corley, an academic who studied the archive materials, said: "It's quite clear that you could not be named a leader without being a signed-up KGB agent. They would not allow anyone to go abroad and represent religious organisations without it being controlled by the KGB."

Kirill won the backing of half of senior bishops at a meeting on Sunday to draw up a shortlist of candidates. He is seen as a moderniser willing to foster better relations with the Vatican.

He is also a strident voice of Russian nationalism
in relations with the West, a factor that appeals to the Kremlin. However, he is also seen as determined to emphasise the Church's independence from the state as a force in society.

Some observers say that this could make him an uncomfortable choice for the Kremlin, which may prefer Metropolitan Kliment. He is seen as the standard-bearer of traditionalists and more willing to be subservient to the Kremlin.

Filaret is close to Belarus' dictatorial president Alexander Lukashenko and seen as a safe option if divisions become too intense between supporters of the other two candidates.

The Orthodox Church grew increasingly powerful under Vladimir Putin, the former KGB officer who openly professed his faith as president and now prime minister.

The late Patriarch was seen regularly beside Mr Putin and blessed Dmitri Medvedev on national television on the day of his inauguration as president, even though Russia is ostensibly a secular state.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 11:25:30 AM by Nigula Qian Zishi » Logged

在基督         My Original Blog
尼古拉         My Facebook Profile
前执事         My Twitter Page
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 11:41:12 AM »

The Patriarch's reputation was tainted by allegations that he had been a long-serving KGB agent codenamed "Drozdov" (thrush), who had been awarded a "certificate of honour" for his service in 1988.

I have some questions:

1) Why would the KGB store it's archives about "Agent Drozdov" in Estonia of all places and not return them to Moscow after the collapse of the Soviet Union?

2) Why would these documents come to light in Estonia just at the same time as Patriarch Alexy II of blessed memory was claiming territorial jurisdiction over Estonia after the Oecumenical Patriarchate reactivated the Tomos granting autocephaly to the Church of Estonia and placing it under the Oecumenical Patriarchate?

I smell a forgery.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 11:42:47 AM by ozgeorge » Logged

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2009, 12:29:11 PM »

I have some questions:

1) Why would the KGB store it's archives about "Agent Drozdov" in Estonia of all places and not return them to Moscow after the collapse of the Soviet Union?

2) Why would these documents come to light in Estonia just at the same time as Patriarch Alexy II of blessed memory was claiming territorial jurisdiction over Estonia after the Oecumenical Patriarchate reactivated the Tomos granting autocephaly to the Church of Estonia and placing it under the Oecumenical Patriarchate?

I smell a forgery.

I don't, because I remember reading the materials about the "agent Drozdov" since time immemorial (at least since 1991 or 1992).

As for storing of these materials in Estonia - I don't know. Of all three Baltic countries, Estonia has the biggest Russian-speaking minority (something like 30%). The Russians who live in Estonia are very defiant against the laws and customs of the country they live in (sort of like ethnic Germans were in the Sudetenland in the 1930-s). My guess is, KGB/FSB still thinks that tomorrow or day after tomorrow Estonia will be "ours." No one will defend her from the Russian takeover, just like nobody seriously defended Georgia last August.

Love never fails.
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2009, 12:36:05 PM »

I don't, because I remember reading the materials about the "agent Drozdov" since time immemorial (at least since 1991 or 1992).
George,
I am 42 and 1991 is not "time immemorial" for me. Wink

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2009, 01:07:38 PM »

*Metropolitan Cirill of Rostov and Yaroslav (not the candidate) had his car stolen in Moscow.
*Metropolitan Filaret of Minsk and Slutzk resigned from candidating and told his supporters to vote for Cirill.

edit:
Voting process has just finished.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 01:33:25 PM by mike » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Tags: Patriarch Patriarchate KGB FSB Soviet Moscow Modernism nationalism Sergianism 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: