OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 23, 2014, 10:34:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodox Folk/Death Metal?  (Read 17810 times) Average Rating: 0
Quid
Freshly converted rubiks cube ninja

Faith: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #45 on: October 15, 2010, 06:57:20 PM »

From what I have gathered, there are not many or any Orthodox/Catholic metal bands b/c there has never been a push to make Orthodox/Catholic cool.

Christian Rock/Metal seems to stem from protestantism and their ideas on "contemporary" ways to worship. Back when I was protestant there was a church that held a metal show with metal Christian bands rather often. An Orthodox church would likely never let something like that go down, and for good reason. We like our secular stuff secular and our Orthodox stuff Orthodox.

That being said.... I love death, thrash and grind. I wanted to go see Cattle Decapitation last night but I had to work.  Undecided

« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 07:00:19 PM by Quid » Logged

"Preach the Gospel always, and if necessary, use words."
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: BZZT

« Reply #46 on: October 15, 2010, 07:45:23 PM »

From what I have gathered, there are not many or any Orthodox/Catholic metal bands b/c there has never been a push to make Orthodox/Catholic cool.

Christian Rock/Metal seems to stem from protestantism and their ideas on "contemporary" ways to worship. Back when I was protestant there was a church that held a metal show with metal Christian bands rather often. An Orthodox church would likely never let something like that go down, and for good reason. We like our secular stuff secular and our Orthodox stuff Orthodox.

That being said.... I love death, thrash and grind. I wanted to go see Cattle Decapitation last night but I had to work.  Undecided

Fwiw, when I was in a Christian metal band, it had nothing to do with making something look cool, nor did it have anything to do with the way my Church worshiped. In our situation, we all went to the same small church, so everyone knew everyone else pretty well, and certain of us liked the same heavy bands: so it just made sense to get together and play the music that we liked (Metallica, Sabbath, Megadeth, etc.). Because we were Christians there was a Christian slant to the lyrics that we came up with for the terrible collection of chords we liked to call songs.
Quid
Freshly converted rubiks cube ninja

Faith: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #47 on: October 15, 2010, 07:52:22 PM »

Fwiw, when I was in a Christian metal band, it had nothing to do with making something look cool, nor did it have anything to do with the way my Church worshiped. In our situation, we all went to the same small church, so everyone knew everyone else pretty well, and certain of us liked the same heavy bands: so it just made sense to get together and play the music that we liked (Metallica, Sabbath, Megadeth, etc.). Because we were Christians there was a Christian slant to the lyrics that we came up with for the terrible collection of chords we liked to call songs.

I didn't mean to imply that your situation doesnt happen. I meant more that Christian Metal (actually moreso Christian rock) got popular and talked about b/c of church marketing tools to get young kids in church.

Im of the camp that "Christian Metal" doesn't even exist. Nor does "christian" rock, rap, country, blues, swing ect. "Christian" is just a topic, not a genre. If I write a metal song about a boat do we call it boat metal? lol

"Preach the Gospel always, and if necessary, use words."
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #48 on: October 15, 2010, 08:03:06 PM »

I didn't mean to imply that your situation doesnt happen. I meant more that Christian Metal (actually moreso Christian rock) got popular and talked about b/c of church marketing tools to get young kids in church.

Im of the camp that "Christian Metal" doesn't even exist. Nor does "christian" rock, rap, country, blues, swing ect. "Christian" is just a topic, not a genre. If I write a metal song about a boat do we call it boat metal? lol

Good points. (Though regarding your boat metal idea, I do have to point out that my favorite of the newer bands--Mastodon--has been jokingly referred to as "whalecore" after their Moby-Dick-themed album Leviathan was released  angel ).
Saint Iaint
This Poster Has Ignored Multiple Requests to Behave Better
High Elder

Faith: Once Delivered

The Truth Shall Be Reviled

« Reply #49 on: October 16, 2010, 12:53:00 AM »

I wish I had never started this thread, just so we're all clear on that. This will be my last post in the thread, in the sincere hope that it will die a quick death.

"If you do not like metal, you are not my friend"  Tongue

Got to make it louder, all men play on 10:
If you're not into metal, you are not my friend!
HEAVY METAL, OR NO METAL AT ALL!
WIMPS AN POSERS, LEAVE THE HALL!

Grin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyOy5YnE8G4

I have to confess... This is my new favorite.

How is it that I've never heard this before?!?

I played it at work and everyone looked at me a little sideways... especially during the screaming verse near the end.

Love it... Thanks Iconodule!

Quote from: Asteriktos
"Don't cry, we shant let this thread die."

I agree... This thread will live forever.

†IC XC†
†NI KA†

Many will follow their shameful ways and will bring the way of truth into disrepute...

Therefore rebuke them sharply, that they may be sound in the faith, not giving heed to Jewish fables and commandments of men who turn from the truth.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #50 on: November 01, 2010, 04:25:04 PM »

Sunderia - My way

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Fabio Leite
Archon

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #51 on: November 01, 2010, 05:14:17 PM »

Have a look at my FB group: Orthodox Alternative, and bring your contributions:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=134548301172

Many Energies, Three Persons, Two Natures, One God.
Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #52 on: November 01, 2010, 05:18:57 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnmv2B7CPXg

paparokades para tsipaki

Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #53 on: November 02, 2010, 09:19:55 AM »

Meet Moscow's Punk Priest, the Rev. Sergei Rybko

http://abcnews.go.com/International/moscows-punk-priest-rev-sergei-rybko/story?id=8834869

(...)
"As the alternative band OffiGella finishes its set, Rybko, 49, gets up and heads to the stage. He waits in the wings while his long-haired sidekick, Yuri, introduces him as a former hippy and regular rock festival attendee. The audience of 30 in front of the stage cheers when Rybko takes the microphone and flashes the peace sign."
(...)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 09:22:40 AM by Fabio Leite » Logged

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #54 on: December 10, 2010, 05:06:23 PM »

Favorite albums from 2010...

1. All That Remains - For We Are Many
2. Acrassicauda - Only the Dead See the End of War
3. Underoath - Ø (Disambiguation)
4. As I Lay Dying - The Powerless Rise
5. Exodus - Exhibit B: The Human Condition
6. The Absence - Enemy Unbound

A few notes. It’s sort of funny that For We Are Many was my favorite album from this year, because it’s also one of the least heaviest albums I bought this year (probably second to the Avenged Sevenfold album I bought). The EP by the Iraqi band Acrassicauda is pretty good, and they‘ve been through a lot over the past 10 years. Underoath is back with another album, though none of the original members of the band remain; this album is better than their last one IMO, but doesn’t come close to what they did on Define the Great Line. I was also let down by the new one by As I Lay Dying, which I thought was a step down from An Ocean Between Us.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #55 on: December 10, 2010, 05:09:37 PM »

Metalcore? Weak.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #56 on: December 10, 2010, 05:16:10 PM »

Metalcore? Weak.

I mostly listen to thrash, with a smattering of other stuff, but there wasn't much that I liked this year. Maybe next year will be better... I'm expecting albums by Toxic Holocaust, Believer, Lazarus A.D., Megadeth, Tourniquet and Opeth. I'm also curious as to what Corrosion of Conformity will come up with without Pepper Keenan contributing to the album.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #57 on: December 10, 2010, 05:38:05 PM »

My favorite thrash album is technically black metal: Immortal's At the Heart of Winter

Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #58 on: December 11, 2010, 01:28:24 PM »

They are certainly outside the folk or death metal classification, but the Bad Brains had songs like "Coptic Times."  Smiley

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #59 on: April 01, 2011, 02:54:04 AM »

Hail, hail, hail and kill!
Saint Iaint
This Poster Has Ignored Multiple Requests to Behave Better
High Elder

Faith: Once Delivered

The Truth Shall Be Reviled

« Reply #60 on: April 01, 2011, 05:40:42 AM »

Buddy's got some set of lungs!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjhNWAo6DN8&feature=related

@ 1:40

†IC XC†
†NI KA†

Many will follow their shameful ways and will bring the way of truth into disrepute...

Therefore rebuke them sharply, that they may be sound in the faith, not giving heed to Jewish fables and commandments of men who turn from the truth.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #61 on: April 03, 2011, 06:58:27 PM »

One of my favorite Manowar songs... though my non-metal-listening friend used to make fun of me because of the line about his father being a wolf  Cool
jordanz

Faith: Roman Catholic

« Reply #62 on: April 03, 2011, 07:54:37 PM »

When I saw the words "Orthodox" and "Folk" together I began to have symptoms of liturgical PTSD.

For a good 20 (dark, psychotic) years in Catholicism, the Sunday folk Mass was "all the rage".  Honestly, many people loathed it but went anyway. 

First, the Mass usually doubled as a "Family Mass".  Think littered Cheerios, dolls/toys as projectiles, sticky hands, plenty of running and shrieking.  Many pastors quickly learned to say these Masses on a portable altar in a gym, unless the church look like a hotel room after a roadie gig.

Second, the pastor of my childhood church invented his own indult.  He let everyone sit through the entire Mass.  Consequently, plenty of elderly people heard this Mass because they would not stick out for not kneeling, since no one did!

And then there's the music.  I'm convinced that small third world countries use the St. Louis Jesuit hymnal as an alternative to waterboarding.  Even now, when I hear any bad guitar strumming, I get flashbacks to this Mass.  Sometimes even the guitarist wouldn't show up to this Mass, and the "music minister" would use a synthesizer piano to plunk out folk Mass melodies to a calypso beat.

Be so glad that Orthodoxy didn't develop the Roman liturgical schizophrenia.  Fortunately there is a medicine that alleviates some of the more obvious psychoses (Tridentine Masses), but many churches are still displaying overt delirium.
jordanz

Faith: Roman Catholic

« Reply #63 on: April 03, 2011, 07:55:11 PM »

When I saw the words "Orthodox" and "Folk" together I began to have symptoms of liturgical PTSD.

For a good 20 (dark, psychotic) years in Catholicism, the Sunday folk Mass was "all the rage".  Honestly, many people loathed it but went anyway. 

First, the Mass usually doubled as a "Family Mass".  Think littered Cheerios, dolls/Legos/toys as projectiles, sticky hands, plenty of running and shrieking.  Many pastors quickly learned to say these Masses on a portable altar in a gym, unless the church look like a hotel room after a roadie gig.

Second, the pastor of my childhood church invented his own indult.  He let everyone sit through the entire Mass.  Consequently, plenty of elderly people heard this Mass because they would not stick out for not kneeling, since no one did!

And then there's the music.  I'm convinced that small third world countries use the St. Louis Jesuit hymnal as an alternative to waterboarding.  Even now, when I hear any bad guitar strumming, I get flashbacks to this Mass.  Sometimes even the guitarist wouldn't show up to this Mass, and the "music minister" would use a synthesizer piano to plunk out folk Mass melodies to a calypso beat.

Be so glad that Orthodoxy didn't develop the Roman liturgical schizophrenia.  Fortunately there is a medicine that alleviates some of the more obvious psychoses (Tridentine Masses), but many churches are still displaying overt delirium.

quorum

Faith: Discerning.

« Reply #64 on: April 03, 2011, 08:43:36 PM »

I haven't checked all of the links in the thread, but I don't think anyone has mentioned Aporea yet. They're a "ritual industrial" band from Yugoslavia who were apparently under the spiritual guidance of a Macedonian Orthodox priest. This blog posting here is the only thing I've ever seen online about them.  laugh

Apparently they're part of a project called Anastasia now?
trifon

Jurisdiction: Bulgarian Patriarchate (currently Archdiocese of Thyateira)

« Reply #65 on: April 05, 2011, 02:35:09 AM »

I haven't checked all of the links in the thread, but I don't think anyone has mentioned Aporea yet. They're a "ritual industrial" band from Yugoslavia who were apparently under the spiritual guidance of a Macedonian Orthodox priest. This blog posting here is the only thing I've ever seen online about them.  laugh

Apparently they're part of a project called Anastasia now?

They were under the guidance of Otec Sandžakovski if I remember correctly.  Апокрифна Реалност (Apocryphal Reality) is the long version.  They were more of a multimedia project, and included iconographers, plus one member who has since become ordained( at least I remember reading so).  They were/are more folk and traditionalist minded, but they have a great sound.  Two of their members, Goran Trajkovski and Zoran Spasovski were at the fore of reshaping Aporea into Anastasia in 1987 or so but I can't be too sure.

Anastasia did the soundtrack for the film Pred Doždot (Before the Rain) directed by Milčo Mančevski.  Great film, and some beautiful scenes and shots within the Church of St. John at Kaneo.

Here is a trailer of the film, with music from Anastasia: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uJkStUpB0M

And some songs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vutw0a_wtRE&feature=related
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0RbKtVw7NM&feature=related

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #66 on: April 07, 2011, 04:01:48 AM »

This is as good a place to post this as any... former Manowar drummer Scott Columbus died on Monday at the age of 54 (News)
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #67 on: April 07, 2011, 07:35:11 AM »

This is as good a place to post this as any... former Manowar drummer Scott Columbus died on Monday at the age of 54 (News)

Rest in peace. I hope someone at the funeral stands up and shouts, "Wimps and poseurs, leave the hall!"

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #68 on: April 08, 2011, 07:36:52 AM »

Check out Turisas... they're a viking/ power metal band and their last two albums are about the Varangian Guard:

http://youtu.be/1x-5ZkTMyMc
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 07:37:10 AM by Iconodule » Logged

finbar
Finbar

Faith: orthodox
Jurisdiction: antiochian

« Reply #69 on: April 08, 2011, 08:09:21 AM »

I fully agree, I still have very bad memories of Roman Catholic 'folk masses'..appalling songs like ' Kum by Ya' ...endless renditions of Cat Stevens 'Morning has Broken' and the worst of all the Lord of the Dance...

BUT SURELY we can all see where the RC 'folk Mass' eventually leads when you view this amazing video of a completely blasphemous version of a 'Liturgy' held in a US Roman Catholic Church which involves choreography and GIANT PUPPETS... Yes Giant Puppets...Look at it and be amazed and appalled all at one

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/rh_nqtp3VrU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe

"Nothing troubles the man who is given over to the will of God.....He knows that the Lord in His mercy is solicitous for us.....But the proud and the self-willed do not want to surrender to God's will.." St Siluan the Athonite
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #70 on: May 02, 2011, 07:56:18 AM »

The met'l music has been pretty good so far this year. The new Becoming the Archetype album has really grown on me.
That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #71 on: May 02, 2011, 05:04:07 PM »

The met'l music has been pretty good so far this year. The new Becoming the Archetype album has really grown on me.
Yeah. First thing I ever heard of theirs was their How Great Thou Art cover which, while technically skilled, struck me as somewhat silly. They've really started to win me over though.

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #72 on: May 09, 2011, 10:04:06 AM »

Well death metal has bands such as Deicide (death of God) which completely satanic.  Then lighter "death" bands such as Sepultura has integrated stylized 666's in their logo and has songs called "dead embryonic cells" referencing the lie they tell young women in abortions.

Metal bands like Metallica have lyrics such as "the god that failed".

I've heard complete blasphemy, denial of God, hatred, in most death metal songs along with metal songs.

I don't see any heavy metal, death metal, or most Rock and Roll songs compatible with being an Eastern Orthodox Christian.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #73 on: May 09, 2011, 02:09:43 PM »

Can't say that I agree. Metal gives me peace, comforts me in times of depression and sorrow, gives me an outlet or way of channeling anger and aggression, and frankly I find some of it to be quite beautiful (though I wouldn't expect someone not into metal--or even most metalheads--to consider metal "beautiful"). Are there anti-Christian lyrics? Sure. And I tend to avoid most bands who are overtly anti-Christian, not so much because I am offended, but more often because I find them to be silly (and not in a campy Manowar type silly, but more of a dumb silly).

As for the bands you mention in particular, I'm not at all familiar with Deicide, and despite most of my metal friends thinking that Sepultura were the greatest thing since sliced bread, I was never able to get into them. About Metallica I know a bit, though, being a former fanboy of them. You mention in particular the song The God That Failed. Perhaps some context for the song might help. James (the guy who wrote the lyrics) was raised in a Christian science household. Medicine and doctors were anathema. His mom ended up dying from cancer when James was a teenager, possibly because the family refused to get medical treatment for it. From his perspective, as a 16 year old kid, I'm sure that it seemed to James like God had failed. I'm sure his father abandoning him shortly afterwards didn't help.

So yeah, he carried some anger and frustration with him for a while, and wrote the song partly as an outlet for those feelings. I'm not going to judge him for that. Also, besides the above stuff he went through, in the following clip James talks a bit about the alienation he felt as a kid because of his parents religious beliefs (skip to 2:08 for the interview bit)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bA-qJYjkTvM

He has since come to terms with some of those problems, and now believes in God, and from what I've heard became a Roman Catholic.

Also, your post seems to be pointing mostly to lyrical issues and artwork. What about bands that don't have anti-Christian lyrics and artwork, and perhaps even have pro-religious and pro-Christian stuff?
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #74 on: May 10, 2011, 01:45:38 PM »

Btw, I apologize to any teenagers reading this. I shouldn't have said that James was a "16 year old kid". Obviously once you reach the teenage years you aren't a kid anymore. Smiley
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #75 on: May 10, 2011, 02:05:53 PM »

I personally can't listen to death metal. I REALLY don't understand how a lot of growling or shrieking is any good for the soul. For me, it sounds like the singer is in pain...and while many artists express their pain through song, I can't bear it. Personal opinion.

I have this certain "feeling" when I'm listening to metal that isn't any good, and I'll just turn it off. However, I think that lumping all metal in one category isn't exactly fair.

I am NOT going to argue that metal is Christian or not (although there is a lot of Christian metal out there...I just haven't found an artist that I liked yet), but here's an example. I listen to a lot of symphonic metal, which draws from metal as well as opera, pop, rock, etc. Some artists use Christian imagery, or religious imagery in general. Within Temptation's "Our Solemn Hour" is a good example.

Within Temptation "Our Solemn Hour" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4h1wciz45o

This is true across the genre. I have heard the saying that without religion, there cannot be metal. That's not always a positive thing, as many people use the music to deride religion or promote hedonistic lifestyles. For me, I can't listen to too much of that (I'll only listen to certain songs if I am ridiculously impressed with the instrumentals/singing voice/etc). But there are many songs with lyrics that I don't find objectionable in any way.

But I wouldn't claim that an entire genre is "incompatible."

I won't pretend that I don't think about this though...whether I should be listening to worldly music or reading worldly books at all.  Undecided

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
CBGardner
Site Supporter
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA

Ask w/ tears, seek w/ obedience, knock w/ patience

« Reply #76 on: May 10, 2011, 02:26:40 PM »

I've always had a huge interest in heavy music. Not so much death metal, but hardcore, thrash and d-beat greatness. Some crust stuff too. Disfear, Grave Maker, Black Dahlia Murder, Have Heart, Converge, Mammoth Grinder, Trap Them, Pulling Teeth, Outbreak, Bane, Champion, American Nightmare, Defeater; you get the picture. I have trouble listening to them now because I feel it is at odds with our faith. Full of passion and emotion; hardly sober and hopeful. I'm trying to slowly give it up but its hard and its a process.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 02:27:26 PM by CBGardner » Logged

Authentic zeal is not directed towards anything but union in Christ, or against anything but our own fallenness.

"Beardliness is next to Godliness."- Asteriktos
CBGardner
Site Supporter
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA

Ask w/ tears, seek w/ obedience, knock w/ patience

« Reply #77 on: May 10, 2011, 02:34:21 PM »

Just had to include for good measure.  Grin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwunXO3sXh0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7l_Kh7wJLkg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAkzItnBEtc
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 02:36:33 PM by CBGardner » Logged

Authentic zeal is not directed towards anything but union in Christ, or against anything but our own fallenness.

"Beardliness is next to Godliness."- Asteriktos
That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #78 on: May 10, 2011, 05:48:02 PM »

Btw, I apologize to any teenagers reading this. I shouldn't have said that James was a "16 year old kid". Obviously once you reach the teenage years you aren't a kid anymore. Smiley
Apology accepted.

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #79 on: May 10, 2011, 07:52:45 PM »

BUT SURELY we can all see where the RC 'folk Mass' eventually leads when you view this amazing video of a completely blasphemous version of a 'Liturgy' held in a US Roman Catholic Church which involves choreography and GIANT PUPPETS... Yes Giant Puppets...Look at it and be amazed and appalled all at one

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/rh_nqtp3VrU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe

Sorry to repeat myself, but this is, again, from a conference called 'Women Church Call to Action'- a group of women's priesthood advocates who have *broken away from* the Roman Catholic Church.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #80 on: September 25, 2011, 09:58:14 AM »

So far the music has been a bit of a let down for me this year...

Lazarus A.D. - Black Rivers Flow - Nothing really stands out except the title song
Becoming the Archetype - Celestial Compilation - I like this album, but then I'm not a big BtA fan, so I went into the album not expecting a lot
Destruction - Day of Reckoning - Can't get into it
Symphony X - Iconoclast - Can't get into it
Obscura - Omnivium - Can't get into it
Onslaught - Sounds of Violence - Can't get into it
Havok - Time Is Up - A moderate let down after a good debut
Believer - Transhuman - A moderate let down after their awesome comeback album Gabriel

I still have to buy albums by Opeth, Mastodon, and Megadeth, though based on the clips I've heard I don't have high expectations...

[I yield the soapbox]
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #81 on: December 18, 2011, 09:36:23 PM »

The only album I ended up liking this year was Celestial Compilation by Becoming the Archetype. Bah!
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #82 on: December 18, 2011, 10:02:24 PM »

Aha! You're back!  Grin angel

Good to see you.

William
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #83 on: December 18, 2011, 10:58:47 PM »

Does System of a Down count?

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #84 on: December 18, 2011, 11:04:02 PM »

Sure Smiley  I guess some people might not, but then genre/sub-genre categorizing isn't exactly an exact science exactly.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #85 on: December 19, 2011, 09:06:47 AM »

Exact science or not, SOAD is definitely not folk or death metal

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #86 on: December 19, 2011, 09:23:45 AM »

Exact science or not, SOAD is definitely not folk or death metal

True, though this thread isn't exactly about just those two anymore  angel
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #87 on: January 03, 2012, 04:33:30 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePJ5vsdErPU

something more

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #88 on: January 03, 2012, 05:18:41 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

There are more punk rockers and headbangers in the church than you think.

Now if we could just get some of them to put something awesome together (a band?).
Lets do it, the OC.net collaboration album, this is what we do on other band related forums, I have worked on the Sonic Youth Gossip (forum) Compilation as well, its a lot of fun.  Somebody just has to spear head the mix-down and collect all the submissions.  Members are designated parts (drums, guitar, bass etc etc) and email their tracks to each other and then put them together. 

I'm sure there are lots of heavy bands with Orthodox members in them...
 And besides, many people have pre-conceived notions about how all Christian metal or Christian rock is awful, so probably quite a few people don't want to be associated with it and would rather just be seen as Christians playing in a (secular) band. This is actually something I'm struggling with at the moment.

Of course as an artist, I agree with your sentiment of "pre-conceived notions" as I personally don't like playing in specifically "Christian" bands as I think it is limiting for art.  As an artist I am already a Christian and so ALL of my art reflects Christianity, I don't feel the need to accentuate or make it any more obvious, I prefer to work subtly and let the art speak for itself, so I for one would have those objections Wink

Anyway, don't many Orthodox have a strong aversion to rock music in general?

Many Orthodox Christians do, and then again others do not.  Personally, I am absorbed in intelligent yet aggressive music, tool is my favorite, but I grew up on Crust and Chaos punk so blast beats are my thing Smiley

For me, the edge and aggression that listening (and playing/writing, I am a musician as well and I play reggae and blues but also metal and punk equally) to this music brings is related to the sense of repentance.  I myself use this music as a vehicle to sort out aggression, frustration, fear, and anger through the music.  I use the music to help make sense of my feelings and work them out tangibly, so that the vibrations of the sound waves can carry them away, worked out and resolved.  It is therefore therapeutic to me.  Some folks think this music is energized by Satan, but as a musician I completely disagree.  Some "Gospel" music is energized by Satan when it is not played in sincerity just as some of this aggressive music can be energized by the Holy Spirit when played by Christians from their hearts.

or like Asterkiktos said more beautifully and succinctly
Can't say that I agree. Metal gives me peace, comforts me in times of depression and sorrow, gives me an outlet or way of channeling anger and aggression, and frankly I find some of it to be quite beautiful (though I wouldn't expect someone not into metal--or even most metalheads--to consider metal "beautiful").

For me, this music is energized by the human heart trying to make sense of a sometimes confusing emotional world.  This music's sound and lyrics cover the entire range of the human condition and experience, and that is a valuable insight sometimes.  Art should reflect the complexity and totality of being human, and the Bible is as angst-filled as any other art.  I think that the sound of aggressive metal would be equally appropriate soundtracks to some Biblical scenes and in my life it serves the same purpose which is also why I read a variety of novels, to better understand myself through these vehicles of expression.

Stay blessed,
habte selassie

« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 05:28:08 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
William
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #89 on: January 29, 2012, 12:06:37 AM »

Anything in English or at least with English subtitles? I feel weird listening to hardcore metal without knowing for sure that what I'm listening to isn't an invocation to Satan or something.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
Tags: music 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: