OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 26, 2014, 02:45:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodox Folk/Death Metal?  (Read 19430 times) Average Rating: 0
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« on: January 24, 2009, 03:23:32 AM »

I have been involved in the protestant extreme metal scene for years, and one Christian band I encountered over the years is from the Ukraine.  I am not certain that anyone in the band is actually Orthodox, but they do that some Bishops and Orthodox Churches in their thank-you list, so I suspect that at least some of them are.  Also, this video is shot outside an Orthodox Church.

Anyway, don't many Orthodox have a strong aversion to rock music in general?  If so, would this kind of thing just totally freak them out?  Here's a music video, by the way.  The band is called Holy Blood:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOJtsF6-2S0

Someone posted this translation of the chorus (from Ukrainian):

Our land groans from pain,
The Slavonic motherland cries.

Hey, Slavonic brother, our motherland waits,
Raise your sword as a patriot,
Protect the Slavonic land from evil,
From devilish intrigues, from heathen lies.

Wind carries the war call,
Be without pity, in the struggle with Satan.

Time of battle has begun already,
Raise your sword, throw away doubts,
God is with us in this war,
In the battle for souls in the Slavonic land.

The final of the battle is decided:
Good wins in the struggle with the evil....

Here's another video as well off an earlier album:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93kQXY-NWf0&feature=related

The band is actually on the same record label as my band, so it's sort of ironic that I'm realizing it is Orthodox far after the fact.  I have been listening to them for years...
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 03:50:11 AM »

Judas Iscariot thought that Christ was going to overthrow the Romans and reclaim the Throne of David....
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 04:01:09 AM »

Judas Iscariot thought that Christ was going to overthrow the Romans and reclaim the Throne of David....

What are you getting at?
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Moderated
Toumarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 04:14:34 AM »

The lyrics of that song speak of belligerent nationalism, not Orthodoxy.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 10:15:39 AM »

EXORCIST - Russian industrial metal band, they've got hieromonk as vocalist
SiviSokol

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: SOC

Tamburica u mom srcu

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2009, 12:28:25 PM »

Not bad!  Used to listen to Front Line Assembly, Laether Strip, Mentallo and the fixer, etc. back in the day.   Certainly much more "positive" lyrically.

Another group that I've just recently found is Isihia from Bulgaria.  They mix ethno music, Orthodox chant, with hints of darkwave and industrial into a heavy-hitting, compunction-inducing mix.

Chernomen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivUTeM_17-k&feature=related

Gospodi Vozzvah:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDK0-hB8y64
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2009, 01:57:35 PM »

Interesting. I've also been listening to Christian metal for years, and have wondered about Orthodox metal bands. I've searched the metal archives (Encyclopedia Metallum) looking for good metal bands from Orthodox countries that have Christian-oriented lyrics, but came up mostly empty. As for Holy Blood, I'm afraid it's not really my thing.
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2009, 02:29:59 PM »

Well, the song is called "The Patriot."  The last time I checked, Orthodoxy tends to be belligerently nationalistic.  Grin
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2009, 03:27:03 AM »

Well, the song is called "The Patriot."  The last time I checked, Orthodoxy tends to be belligerently nationalistic.  Grin

I hope you reconsider....   Wink
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2009, 03:27:30 AM »

Thanks.   Smiley
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2009, 05:50:12 PM »

I, for one, can't stand heavy metal or hard rock, it just disgusts me. But if somebody else likes it, fine with me, I don't mind (as long as I have earplugs or can escape to a different building/city/state/galaxy). Smiley

Love never fails.
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2009, 11:04:36 PM »

Thanks for the link!  The song March/Марш really gets stuck in your head.

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
LakaYaRabb

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2009, 12:39:13 AM »

All this is very strange indeed. I wondered if any members of Holy Blood were Orthodox too. If memory serves me, they are now defunct. The lead singer seems to know the lead singer of the Polish Christian metal band Illuminandi.

All the screaming, growling and screaming makes me laugh.
VirSpeluncaeOrthodoxae
Da Orthodox Caveman! aka "Cavey"

Jurisdiction: Antioch...for now

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2009, 05:09:29 PM »

There are more punk rockers and headbangers in the church than you think.

Medieval, backwards, rigid, narrow-minded Traditionalist, Western Rite lover and proud of it! Make my day.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2009, 12:19:55 AM »

The last time I checked, Orthodoxy tends to be belligerently nationalistic.  Grin
Well, I'm not sure it's accurate to say that Orthodoxy tends to be belligerently nationalistic, but I will say that, for better or for worse, Orthodox Christians have tended to be so inclined. Wink
LakaYaRabb

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2009, 02:14:33 AM »

Now if we could just get some of them to put something awesome together (a band?).
Lily

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2009, 11:49:02 AM »

Now if we could just get some of them to put something awesome together (a band?).

Yes indeed (to both statements!)
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2009, 10:09:03 PM »

I'm sure there are lots of heavy bands with Orthodox members in them... but it's probably harder to get 4 or 5 members who are all Orthodox together, especially in the west. And besides, many people have pre-conceived notions about how all Christian metal or Christian rock is awful, so probably quite a few people don't want to be associated with it and would rather just be seen as Christians playing in a (secular) band. This is actually something I'm struggling with at the moment. I recently got back in contact with a guy I used to play in a garage band with back in the 90's, and we've decided to put something together. But even though we are both Christians, should it be "Christian metal" that we are making? There are a number of factors that play into that decision, and I've found that it's not a question with a simple answer.
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2009, 10:40:12 PM »

I would honestly probably never do an "Orthodox-themed" metal band.  It's just seems like it would cheapen something sacred.  Orthodoxy doesn't need to be cool, metal, or punk-rock. 

Blast-beats + Akathists = Cheese-ball.
Arystarcus
High Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2009, 10:56:26 PM »

Shouldn't he be praying or something?  Roll Eyes
BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

OC.net

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2009, 11:39:26 PM »

I'm sure there are lots of heavy bands with Orthodox members in them... but it's probably harder to get 4 or 5 members who are all Orthodox together, especially in the west. And besides, many people have pre-conceived notions about how all Christian metal or Christian rock is awful, so probably quite a few people don't want to be associated with it and would rather just be seen as Christians playing in a (secular) band. This is actually something I'm struggling with at the moment. I recently got back in contact with a guy I used to play in a garage band with back in the 90's, and we've decided to put something together. But even though we are both Christians, should it be "Christian metal" that we are making? There are a number of factors that play into that decision, and I've found that it's not a question with a simple answer.

Kings X brother - be a Christian band without being a "Christian" band
BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

OC.net

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2009, 11:48:48 PM »

I would honestly probably never do an "Orthodox-themed" metal band.  It's just seems like it would cheapen something sacred.  Orthodoxy doesn't need to be cool, metal, or punk-rock. 

Blast-beats + Akathists = Cheese-ball.

Depends on motive. If Orthodox Christians like a certain genre and play authentic music within that genre, whether they write specifically Christian lyrics or lyrics that reflect the Orthodox world view but are not explicitly religious, if their motive is to create art that glorifies the Holy Trinity and to pursue their artistic vision then that does not cheapen anything, even if you or I don't particularly resonate with it or like it.

If it is done because demographic A likes genre B so Christian band C will write strained evangelistic lyrics to music in that genre and spend half their concert preaching instead of playing music to domographic A then that is just plain BS anyway and we don't have to concern ourselves with it (in my prostestant days, the only CCM performer who could get away with that and not make you sick was Mylon LeFevre).
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2009, 01:45:25 AM »

Man, that is terrible.  If you want some great Christian industrial, listen to Mental Destruction or Sanctum.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2009, 04:03:24 AM »

I don't like industrial personally. I just post it as interesting detail.
Seraphim98
High Elder

« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2009, 03:04:53 PM »

I think this might be the sort of thing you are looking for:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Flgyj_m4qBM

Epizod, a Bulgarian Metal band who are also Orthodox.  They took a collection of poems by one of their national poets who wrote about the Ottoman conquest and the Bulgarian resistance and used them as lyrics in rock opera staged at the castle where a number of the events in the opera took place.

This video is about Czar Martyr St. Shihman handing over of the care of the Bulgarian people to the athonite monk Evtimi called to serve as the Patriarch of the country.  It is a kind of musical dyptich with St. Evtimi's prayer which you can also find on you tube.  If you go to their website they used to have a section somewhere with their lyrics in English.
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2009, 05:04:18 PM »

It's hard for me to imagine how anyone could possibly enjoy and listen to this metal music. To me it seems so violent and frightening-almost psychotic. I dislike these videos of exorcisms too. Reminds me of those "slain in the spirit" Toronto blessing type of thing. But the above link I listened to and enjoyed!
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 05:23:27 PM by Rosehip » Logged

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
Ian Lazarus
The Main Man!
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: AOA

yIjah, Qey' 'oH!

« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2009, 08:18:03 PM »

I dont think "Death Metal" as a genre is entirley unwelcoming to Orthodox Themes.  Black Metal, however, with it's beligerantly satanic message, is.

"For I am With thee, withersoever thou goest"

Joshua 1:9
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2009, 10:41:06 PM »

I suppose this is as good a place as any to post my favorite albums put out this year. I've investigated who else is putting out albums, and I've not found any that I plan on buying. I bought twenty-one albums this year, which is by far the most new albums that I've ever bought in a year. Normally I wait till the end of the year, figure out which ones I might be interested in, and then buy those albums the following year. This year I decided to be a bit more active. On my list, numbers one through three I thought were great. Numbers four through six I thought were good. Numbers seven through twenty I thought were just average. And number twenty-one was the only album that I thought was bad. It's sort of an interesting coincidence that the list begins with a Christian group and ends with a Christian group.

1. Believer - Gabriel
2. Mastodon - Crack the Skye
3. Lazarus A.D. - The Onslaught
4. Megadeth - Endgame
5. Kreator - Hordes of Chaos
6. Havok - Burn
7. Shadows Fall - Retribution
8. Killswitch Engage - Killswitch Engage 2
9. Obscura - Cosmogenesis
10. God Forbid - Earthsblood
11. Obituary - Darkest Day
12. Lamb of God - Wrath
13. August Burns Red - Constellations
14. Zao - Awake?
15. Suffocation - Blood Oath
16. Napalm Death - Time Waits For No Slave
17. Amorphis - Skyforger
18. Darkest Hour - The Eternal Return
19. Cannibal Corpse - Evisceration Plague
20. Goatwhore - Carving Out the Eyes of God
21. The Ascendicate - To Die As Kings
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 10:42:46 PM by Asteriktos » Logged
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2010, 10:24:03 AM »

Bunch of Russian and Ukrainian Orthodox Metal songs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fag_yj4doC4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBILtgd_9MU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ap1_qbWL1D0 - my favourite song
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7GjA3OnbS0
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2010, 12:01:01 PM »

The last time I checked, Orthodoxy tends to be belligerently nationalistic.  Grin
Well, I'm not sure it's accurate to say that Orthodoxy tends to be belligerently nationalistic, but I will say that, for better or for worse, Orthodox Christians have tended to be so inclined. Wink

Some have, others have not. I also think there is a difference between loving your nation because it is Orthodox, and loving Orthodoxy because it's part of your national identity. For some folks, the faith comes as part of a nationalist "package deal." But I think there is also a kind of patriotism that is contingent on the nation's adherence to Orthodoxy. As a US citizen, I am not particularly patriotic, because I consider the US to be, historically and politically, basically anti-Christian.

Going back to the lyrics posted- well, they're really bad, irrespective of their ideological content. The nice thing about death metal and black metal is that you can't hear the (usually) dumb lyrics because the vocalist just rasps and growls his way through the song.

BTW, while many foundational black metal bands are Satanic, the genre is not inherently Satanic. Many of the bands are pagan or not even particularly interested in religious themes at all.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Vzldrb
Elder

« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2010, 04:45:17 PM »

I know I'm reviving an old thread, but in my mind Black Metal and Orthodoxy go hand in hand. They are "against the grain".

That being said, take a band like Mutiilation - very Satanic.

Yet in their references to Satan, they describe him as "cold, and hate filled" ... and in fact, the vocalist of the band hates being under Satan!

Yet he knows he is stuck with him due to a pact.

Anyways, in any case, many "Satanic" bands actually arent Satanic, and if they are, they use Satan as a metaphor for an outside source of inescapable (to them) suffering.

That being sad, I'm off to go write some more music for my black metal album.
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2010, 06:05:43 PM »

I know I'm reviving an old thread, but in my mind Black Metal and Orthodoxy go hand in hand. They are "against the grain".

Yet in their references to Satan, they describe him as "cold, and hate filled" ... and in fact, the vocalist of the band hates being under Satan!

Anyways, in any case, many "Satanic" bands actually arent Satanic, and if they are, they use Satan as a metaphor for an outside source of inescapable (to them) suffering.

Aren't you the poster with the National Socialism fetish? Seriously, get some help.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

fleem
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2010, 06:30:15 PM »

I did hear a little from a band called Slavonic Thunder. They seem to be dealing more with historic and cultural themes than Orthodoxy, though.

Undecided

Charlie Rose: "If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?"

Fran Lebowitz: "Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisified."

spcasuncoast.org
Vzldrb
Elder

« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2010, 07:36:46 PM »

Aren't you the poster with the National Socialism fetish? Seriously, get some help.
Okay, if you mean before being Christian, yes, I was National Socialist. Which I learned about from bands like "Waffen SS" from Italy. Stuka Lied is a great track. But ANYWAYS...

I gave that up for Commun(al)ism.

Anyways, take your own advice bro. But it seems like you barely know the difference between National Socialism and Communism in the first place, so I doubt it really matters. You just like being right and telling other people what to do, it seems.

Oh, and God forbid a Catechumen doesnt drop all of his interests in an instant upon entering the Church.

Anyways, i'll be away from here awhile longer... Clearly not worth my time.
Libertas

Faith: Ukrainian Catholic
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian-Greek Catholic Church of Canada

+ St Maximos, pray for us sinners!

« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2010, 09:55:06 PM »

This was interesting to read. My friends and I are into punk rock, heavy metal, etc. I was wondering at one point whether or not I would run into a situation, when I convert, that I would have to give it up. It appears to be less likely than I thought.  Tongue
Saint Iaint
This Poster Has Ignored Multiple Requests to Behave Better
High Elder

Faith: Once Delivered

The Truth Shall Be Reviled

« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2010, 12:07:13 AM »

Merriam-Webster/Punk

1punk noun \ˈpəŋk\

Definition of PUNK

1archaic : prostitute

2[probably partly from 3punk] : nonsense, foolishness

3a : a young inexperienced person : beginner, novice; especially : a young man b : a usually petty gangster, hoodlum, or ruffian c slang : a young man used as a homosexual partner especially in a prison
4a : punk rock b : a punk rock musician c : one who affects punk styles

Origin of PUNK

origin unknown

First Known Use: 1596 (Punk = young male homosexual prostitute.)

~~~ ~~~ ~~~

†IC XC†
†NI KA†

Many will follow their shameful ways and will bring the way of truth into disrepute...

Therefore rebuke them sharply, that they may be sound in the faith, not giving heed to Jewish fables and commandments of men who turn from the truth.
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2010, 12:36:46 AM »

FormerReformer/Punk

punk noun

1 A form of music typified by 3 chords and a do-it-yourself approach to recording with a complete disregard for corporate influence.  This music is totally awesome and should be enjoyed by everyone. 

2 All other definitions are to be disregarded, as they do not define the awesomeness that is punk rock

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
dcommini
Tha mi sgulan na Trianaid
OC.net guru

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2010, 11:21:47 PM »

FormerReformer/Punk

punk noun

1 A form of music typified by 3 chords and a do-it-yourself approach to recording with a complete disregard for corporate influence.  This music is totally awesome and should be enjoyed by everyone. 

2 All other definitions are to be disregarded, as they do not define the awesomeness that is punk rock

Really, Mike, really? You are the least punk rocker I know. I remember you taking your jeans and my knife to make the knees frayed so you could look punk. Poser. J/K I love you, bro. BTW I am totally missing my Ramones shirt... what was that site I got it from?

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2010, 12:03:20 AM »

I wish I had never started this thread, just so we're all clear on that. This will be my last post in the thread, in the sincere hope that it will die a quick death.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2010, 01:29:02 AM »

I wish I had never started this thread, just so we're all clear on that. This will be my last post in the thread, in the sincere hope that it will die a quick death.

"If you do not like metal, you are not my friend"  Tongue
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2010, 04:20:08 PM »

Got to make it louder, all men play on 10:
If you're not into metal, you are not my friend!
HEAVY METAL, OR NO METAL AT ALL!
WIMPS AN POSERS, LEAVE THE HALL!

Grin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyOy5YnE8G4

Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2010, 06:14:25 PM »

This was interesting to read. My friends and I are into punk rock, heavy metal, etc. I was wondering at one point whether or not I would run into a situation, when I convert, that I would have to give it up. It appears to be less likely than I thought.  Tongue

Libertas, you might want to see this site and maybe even getting in touch with them:
http://www.deathtotheworld.com/
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 06:15:31 PM by Fabio Leite » Logged

Many Energies, Three Persons, Two Natures, One God.
Saint Iaint
High Elder

« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2010, 07:19:56 PM »

This was interesting to read. My friends and I are into punk rock, heavy metal, etc. I was wondering at one point whether or not I would run into a situation, when I convert, that I would have to give it up. It appears to be less likely than I thought.  Tongue

Libertas, you might want to see this site and maybe even getting in touch with them:
http://www.deathtotheworld.com/

That's funny... I've had this as my desktop background for months now:

But I never knew where it came from... so thanks for the link - it's interesting. I may subscribe myself.

~~~ ~~~ ~~~

As for my previous post - just to clarify I was not trying to be insulting to anyone who enjoys a certain style of music (I too was a 'headbanger' in my youth)... Rather I only wanted to show the origins and meaning of the word.

Knowing that now - I would never call myself a punk.

†IC XC†
†NI KA†

Many will follow their shameful ways and will bring the way of truth into disrepute...

Therefore rebuke them sharply, that they may be sound in the faith, not giving heed to Jewish fables and commandments of men who turn from the truth.
xariskai
юродивый/yurodivy
OC.net guru

יהוה עזי ומגני

« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2010, 09:04:52 PM »

Silly Stars
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2010, 02:11:19 PM »

Don't cry, we shant let this thread die.

"They try to test our spirit
They'll taste steel, before we are done!"
Quid
Freshly converted rubiks cube ninja

Faith: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #45 on: October 15, 2010, 06:57:20 PM »

From what I have gathered, there are not many or any Orthodox/Catholic metal bands b/c there has never been a push to make Orthodox/Catholic cool.

Christian Rock/Metal seems to stem from protestantism and their ideas on "contemporary" ways to worship. Back when I was protestant there was a church that held a metal show with metal Christian bands rather often. An Orthodox church would likely never let something like that go down, and for good reason. We like our secular stuff secular and our Orthodox stuff Orthodox.

That being said.... I love death, thrash and grind. I wanted to go see Cattle Decapitation last night but I had to work.  Undecided

« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 07:00:19 PM by Quid » Logged

"Preach the Gospel always, and if necessary, use words."
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #46 on: October 15, 2010, 07:45:23 PM »

From what I have gathered, there are not many or any Orthodox/Catholic metal bands b/c there has never been a push to make Orthodox/Catholic cool.

Christian Rock/Metal seems to stem from protestantism and their ideas on "contemporary" ways to worship. Back when I was protestant there was a church that held a metal show with metal Christian bands rather often. An Orthodox church would likely never let something like that go down, and for good reason. We like our secular stuff secular and our Orthodox stuff Orthodox.

That being said.... I love death, thrash and grind. I wanted to go see Cattle Decapitation last night but I had to work.  Undecided

Fwiw, when I was in a Christian metal band, it had nothing to do with making something look cool, nor did it have anything to do with the way my Church worshiped. In our situation, we all went to the same small church, so everyone knew everyone else pretty well, and certain of us liked the same heavy bands: so it just made sense to get together and play the music that we liked (Metallica, Sabbath, Megadeth, etc.). Because we were Christians there was a Christian slant to the lyrics that we came up with for the terrible collection of chords we liked to call songs.
Quid
Freshly converted rubiks cube ninja

Faith: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #47 on: October 15, 2010, 07:52:22 PM »

Fwiw, when I was in a Christian metal band, it had nothing to do with making something look cool, nor did it have anything to do with the way my Church worshiped. In our situation, we all went to the same small church, so everyone knew everyone else pretty well, and certain of us liked the same heavy bands: so it just made sense to get together and play the music that we liked (Metallica, Sabbath, Megadeth, etc.). Because we were Christians there was a Christian slant to the lyrics that we came up with for the terrible collection of chords we liked to call songs.

I didn't mean to imply that your situation doesnt happen. I meant more that Christian Metal (actually moreso Christian rock) got popular and talked about b/c of church marketing tools to get young kids in church.

Im of the camp that "Christian Metal" doesn't even exist. Nor does "christian" rock, rap, country, blues, swing ect. "Christian" is just a topic, not a genre. If I write a metal song about a boat do we call it boat metal? lol

"Preach the Gospel always, and if necessary, use words."
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #48 on: October 15, 2010, 08:03:06 PM »

I didn't mean to imply that your situation doesnt happen. I meant more that Christian Metal (actually moreso Christian rock) got popular and talked about b/c of church marketing tools to get young kids in church.

Im of the camp that "Christian Metal" doesn't even exist. Nor does "christian" rock, rap, country, blues, swing ect. "Christian" is just a topic, not a genre. If I write a metal song about a boat do we call it boat metal? lol

Good points. (Though regarding your boat metal idea, I do have to point out that my favorite of the newer bands--Mastodon--has been jokingly referred to as "whalecore" after their Moby-Dick-themed album Leviathan was released  angel ).
Saint Iaint
High Elder

« Reply #49 on: October 16, 2010, 12:53:00 AM »

Got to make it louder, all men play on 10:
If you're not into metal, you are not my friend!
HEAVY METAL, OR NO METAL AT ALL!
WIMPS AN POSERS, LEAVE THE HALL!

Grin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyOy5YnE8G4

I have to confess... This is my new favorite.

How is it that I've never heard this before?!?

I played it at work and everyone looked at me a little sideways... especially during the screaming verse near the end.

Love it... Thanks Iconodule!

Quote from: Asteriktos
"Don't cry, we shant let this thread die."

I agree... This thread will live forever.

†IC XC†
†NI KA†

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #50 on: November 01, 2010, 04:25:04 PM »

Sunderia - My way
Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #51 on: November 01, 2010, 05:14:17 PM »

Have a look at my FB group: Orthodox Alternative, and bring your contributions:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=134548301172

Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #52 on: November 01, 2010, 05:18:57 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnmv2B7CPXg

paparokades para tsipaki

Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #53 on: November 02, 2010, 09:19:55 AM »

Meet Moscow's Punk Priest, the Rev. Sergei Rybko

http://abcnews.go.com/International/moscows-punk-priest-rev-sergei-rybko/story?id=8834869

(...)
"As the alternative band OffiGella finishes its set, Rybko, 49, gets up and heads to the stage. He waits in the wings while his long-haired sidekick, Yuri, introduces him as a former hippy and regular rock festival attendee. The audience of 30 in front of the stage cheers when Rybko takes the microphone and flashes the peace sign."
(...)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 09:22:40 AM by Fabio Leite » Logged

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #54 on: December 10, 2010, 05:06:23 PM »

Favorite albums from 2010...

1. All That Remains - For We Are Many
2. Acrassicauda - Only the Dead See the End of War
3. Underoath - Ø (Disambiguation)
4. As I Lay Dying - The Powerless Rise
5. Exodus - Exhibit B: The Human Condition
6. The Absence - Enemy Unbound

A few notes. It’s sort of funny that For We Are Many was my favorite album from this year, because it’s also one of the least heaviest albums I bought this year (probably second to the Avenged Sevenfold album I bought). The EP by the Iraqi band Acrassicauda is pretty good, and they‘ve been through a lot over the past 10 years. Underoath is back with another album, though none of the original members of the band remain; this album is better than their last one IMO, but doesn’t come close to what they did on Define the Great Line. I was also let down by the new one by As I Lay Dying, which I thought was a step down from An Ocean Between Us.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #55 on: December 10, 2010, 05:09:37 PM »

Metalcore? Weak.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #56 on: December 10, 2010, 05:16:10 PM »

Metalcore? Weak.

I mostly listen to thrash, with a smattering of other stuff, but there wasn't much that I liked this year. Maybe next year will be better... I'm expecting albums by Toxic Holocaust, Believer, Lazarus A.D., Megadeth, Tourniquet and Opeth. I'm also curious as to what Corrosion of Conformity will come up with without Pepper Keenan contributing to the album.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #57 on: December 10, 2010, 05:38:05 PM »

My favorite thrash album is technically black metal: Immortal's At the Heart of Winter

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #58 on: December 11, 2010, 01:28:24 PM »

They are certainly outside the folk or death metal classification, but the Bad Brains had songs like "Coptic Times."  Smiley

Charlie Rose: "If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?"

spcasuncoast.org
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #59 on: April 01, 2011, 02:54:04 AM »

Hail, hail, hail and kill!
Saint Iaint
High Elder

« Reply #60 on: April 01, 2011, 05:40:42 AM »

Buddy's got some set of lungs!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjhNWAo6DN8&feature=related

@ 1:40

†IC XC†
†NI KA†

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #61 on: April 03, 2011, 06:58:27 PM »

One of my favorite Manowar songs... though my non-metal-listening friend used to make fun of me because of the line about his father being a wolf  Cool
jordanz

Faith: Roman Catholic

« Reply #62 on: April 03, 2011, 07:54:37 PM »

When I saw the words "Orthodox" and "Folk" together I began to have symptoms of liturgical PTSD.

For a good 20 (dark, psychotic) years in Catholicism, the Sunday folk Mass was "all the rage".  Honestly, many people loathed it but went anyway. 

First, the Mass usually doubled as a "Family Mass".  Think littered Cheerios, dolls/toys as projectiles, sticky hands, plenty of running and shrieking.  Many pastors quickly learned to say these Masses on a portable altar in a gym, unless the church look like a hotel room after a roadie gig.

Second, the pastor of my childhood church invented his own indult.  He let everyone sit through the entire Mass.  Consequently, plenty of elderly people heard this Mass because they would not stick out for not kneeling, since no one did!

And then there's the music.  I'm convinced that small third world countries use the St. Louis Jesuit hymnal as an alternative to waterboarding.  Even now, when I hear any bad guitar strumming, I get flashbacks to this Mass.  Sometimes even the guitarist wouldn't show up to this Mass, and the "music minister" would use a synthesizer piano to plunk out folk Mass melodies to a calypso beat.

Be so glad that Orthodoxy didn't develop the Roman liturgical schizophrenia.  Fortunately there is a medicine that alleviates some of the more obvious psychoses (Tridentine Masses), but many churches are still displaying overt delirium.
jordanz

Faith: Roman Catholic

« Reply #63 on: April 03, 2011, 07:55:11 PM »

When I saw the words "Orthodox" and "Folk" together I began to have symptoms of liturgical PTSD.

For a good 20 (dark, psychotic) years in Catholicism, the Sunday folk Mass was "all the rage".  Honestly, many people loathed it but went anyway. 

First, the Mass usually doubled as a "Family Mass".  Think littered Cheerios, dolls/Legos/toys as projectiles, sticky hands, plenty of running and shrieking.  Many pastors quickly learned to say these Masses on a portable altar in a gym, unless the church look like a hotel room after a roadie gig.

Second, the pastor of my childhood church invented his own indult.  He let everyone sit through the entire Mass.  Consequently, plenty of elderly people heard this Mass because they would not stick out for not kneeling, since no one did!

And then there's the music.  I'm convinced that small third world countries use the St. Louis Jesuit hymnal as an alternative to waterboarding.  Even now, when I hear any bad guitar strumming, I get flashbacks to this Mass.  Sometimes even the guitarist wouldn't show up to this Mass, and the "music minister" would use a synthesizer piano to plunk out folk Mass melodies to a calypso beat.

Be so glad that Orthodoxy didn't develop the Roman liturgical schizophrenia.  Fortunately there is a medicine that alleviates some of the more obvious psychoses (Tridentine Masses), but many churches are still displaying overt delirium.

quorum

Faith: Discerning.

« Reply #64 on: April 03, 2011, 08:43:36 PM »

I haven't checked all of the links in the thread, but I don't think anyone has mentioned Aporea yet. They're a "ritual industrial" band from Yugoslavia who were apparently under the spiritual guidance of a Macedonian Orthodox priest. This blog posting here is the only thing I've ever seen online about them.  laugh

Apparently they're part of a project called Anastasia now?
trifon

Jurisdiction: Bulgarian Patriarchate (currently Archdiocese of Thyateira)

« Reply #65 on: April 05, 2011, 02:35:09 AM »

I haven't checked all of the links in the thread, but I don't think anyone has mentioned Aporea yet. They're a "ritual industrial" band from Yugoslavia who were apparently under the spiritual guidance of a Macedonian Orthodox priest. This blog posting here is the only thing I've ever seen online about them.  laugh

Apparently they're part of a project called Anastasia now?

They were under the guidance of Otec Sandžakovski if I remember correctly.  Апокрифна Реалност (Apocryphal Reality) is the long version.  They were more of a multimedia project, and included iconographers, plus one member who has since become ordained( at least I remember reading so).  They were/are more folk and traditionalist minded, but they have a great sound.  Two of their members, Goran Trajkovski and Zoran Spasovski were at the fore of reshaping Aporea into Anastasia in 1987 or so but I can't be too sure.

Anastasia did the soundtrack for the film Pred Doždot (Before the Rain) directed by Milčo Mančevski.  Great film, and some beautiful scenes and shots within the Church of St. John at Kaneo.

Here is a trailer of the film, with music from Anastasia: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uJkStUpB0M

And some songs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vutw0a_wtRE&feature=related
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0RbKtVw7NM&feature=related

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #66 on: April 07, 2011, 04:01:48 AM »

This is as good a place to post this as any... former Manowar drummer Scott Columbus died on Monday at the age of 54 (News)
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #67 on: April 07, 2011, 07:35:11 AM »

This is as good a place to post this as any... former Manowar drummer Scott Columbus died on Monday at the age of 54 (News)

Rest in peace. I hope someone at the funeral stands up and shouts, "Wimps and poseurs, leave the hall!"

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #68 on: April 08, 2011, 07:36:52 AM »

Check out Turisas... they're a viking/ power metal band and their last two albums are about the Varangian Guard:

http://youtu.be/1x-5ZkTMyMc
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 07:37:10 AM by Iconodule » Logged

finbar
Finbar

Faith: orthodox
Jurisdiction: antiochian

« Reply #69 on: April 08, 2011, 08:09:21 AM »

I fully agree, I still have very bad memories of Roman Catholic 'folk masses'..appalling songs like ' Kum by Ya' ...endless renditions of Cat Stevens 'Morning has Broken' and the worst of all the Lord of the Dance...

BUT SURELY we can all see where the RC 'folk Mass' eventually leads when you view this amazing video of a completely blasphemous version of a 'Liturgy' held in a US Roman Catholic Church which involves choreography and GIANT PUPPETS... Yes Giant Puppets...Look at it and be amazed and appalled all at one

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/rh_nqtp3VrU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe

"Nothing troubles the man who is given over to the will of God.....He knows that the Lord in His mercy is solicitous for us.....But the proud and the self-willed do not want to surrender to God's will.." St Siluan the Athonite
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #70 on: May 02, 2011, 07:56:18 AM »

The met'l music has been pretty good so far this year. The new Becoming the Archetype album has really grown on me.
That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #71 on: May 02, 2011, 05:04:07 PM »

The met'l music has been pretty good so far this year. The new Becoming the Archetype album has really grown on me.
Yeah. First thing I ever heard of theirs was their How Great Thou Art cover which, while technically skilled, struck me as somewhat silly. They've really started to win me over though.

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #72 on: May 09, 2011, 10:04:06 AM »

Well death metal has bands such as Deicide (death of God) which completely satanic.  Then lighter "death" bands such as Sepultura has integrated stylized 666's in their logo and has songs called "dead embryonic cells" referencing the lie they tell young women in abortions.

Metal bands like Metallica have lyrics such as "the god that failed".

I've heard complete blasphemy, denial of God, hatred, in most death metal songs along with metal songs.

I don't see any heavy metal, death metal, or most Rock and Roll songs compatible with being an Eastern Orthodox Christian.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #73 on: May 09, 2011, 02:09:43 PM »

Can't say that I agree. Metal gives me peace, comforts me in times of depression and sorrow, gives me an outlet or way of channeling anger and aggression, and frankly I find some of it to be quite beautiful (though I wouldn't expect someone not into metal--or even most metalheads--to consider metal "beautiful"). Are there anti-Christian lyrics? Sure. And I tend to avoid most bands who are overtly anti-Christian, not so much because I am offended, but more often because I find them to be silly (and not in a campy Manowar type silly, but more of a dumb silly).

As for the bands you mention in particular, I'm not at all familiar with Deicide, and despite most of my metal friends thinking that Sepultura were the greatest thing since sliced bread, I was never able to get into them. About Metallica I know a bit, though, being a former fanboy of them. You mention in particular the song The God That Failed. Perhaps some context for the song might help. James (the guy who wrote the lyrics) was raised in a Christian science household. Medicine and doctors were anathema. His mom ended up dying from cancer when James was a teenager, possibly because the family refused to get medical treatment for it. From his perspective, as a 16 year old kid, I'm sure that it seemed to James like God had failed. I'm sure his father abandoning him shortly afterwards didn't help.

So yeah, he carried some anger and frustration with him for a while, and wrote the song partly as an outlet for those feelings. I'm not going to judge him for that. Also, besides the above stuff he went through, in the following clip James talks a bit about the alienation he felt as a kid because of his parents religious beliefs (skip to 2:08 for the interview bit)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bA-qJYjkTvM

He has since come to terms with some of those problems, and now believes in God, and from what I've heard became a Roman Catholic.

Also, your post seems to be pointing mostly to lyrical issues and artwork. What about bands that don't have anti-Christian lyrics and artwork, and perhaps even have pro-religious and pro-Christian stuff?
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #74 on: May 10, 2011, 01:45:38 PM »

Btw, I apologize to any teenagers reading this. I shouldn't have said that James was a "16 year old kid". Obviously once you reach the teenage years you aren't a kid anymore. Smiley
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #75 on: May 10, 2011, 02:05:53 PM »

I personally can't listen to death metal. I REALLY don't understand how a lot of growling or shrieking is any good for the soul. For me, it sounds like the singer is in pain...and while many artists express their pain through song, I can't bear it. Personal opinion.

I have this certain "feeling" when I'm listening to metal that isn't any good, and I'll just turn it off. However, I think that lumping all metal in one category isn't exactly fair.

I am NOT going to argue that metal is Christian or not (although there is a lot of Christian metal out there...I just haven't found an artist that I liked yet), but here's an example. I listen to a lot of symphonic metal, which draws from metal as well as opera, pop, rock, etc. Some artists use Christian imagery, or religious imagery in general. Within Temptation's "Our Solemn Hour" is a good example.

Within Temptation "Our Solemn Hour" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4h1wciz45o

This is true across the genre. I have heard the saying that without religion, there cannot be metal. That's not always a positive thing, as many people use the music to deride religion or promote hedonistic lifestyles. For me, I can't listen to too much of that (I'll only listen to certain songs if I am ridiculously impressed with the instrumentals/singing voice/etc). But there are many songs with lyrics that I don't find objectionable in any way.

But I wouldn't claim that an entire genre is "incompatible."

I won't pretend that I don't think about this though...whether I should be listening to worldly music or reading worldly books at all.  Undecided

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
CBGardner
Site Supporter
High Elder

Ask w/ tears, seek w/ obedience, knock w/ patience

« Reply #76 on: May 10, 2011, 02:26:40 PM »

I've always had a huge interest in heavy music. Not so much death metal, but hardcore, thrash and d-beat greatness. Some crust stuff too. Disfear, Grave Maker, Black Dahlia Murder, Have Heart, Converge, Mammoth Grinder, Trap Them, Pulling Teeth, Outbreak, Bane, Champion, American Nightmare, Defeater; you get the picture. I have trouble listening to them now because I feel it is at odds with our faith. Full of passion and emotion; hardly sober and hopeful. I'm trying to slowly give it up but its hard and its a process.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 02:27:26 PM by CBGardner » Logged

Authentic zeal is not directed towards anything but union in Christ, or against anything but our own fallenness.

"Beardliness is next to Godliness."- Asteriktos
CBGardner
Site Supporter
High Elder

Ask w/ tears, seek w/ obedience, knock w/ patience

« Reply #77 on: May 10, 2011, 02:34:21 PM »

Just had to include for good measure.  Grin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwunXO3sXh0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7l_Kh7wJLkg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAkzItnBEtc
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 02:36:33 PM by CBGardner » Logged

Authentic zeal is not directed towards anything but union in Christ, or against anything but our own fallenness.

"Beardliness is next to Godliness."- Asteriktos
That person
OC.net guru

« Reply #78 on: May 10, 2011, 05:48:02 PM »

Btw, I apologize to any teenagers reading this. I shouldn't have said that James was a "16 year old kid". Obviously once you reach the teenage years you aren't a kid anymore. Smiley
Apology accepted.

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #79 on: May 10, 2011, 07:52:45 PM »

BUT SURELY we can all see where the RC 'folk Mass' eventually leads when you view this amazing video of a completely blasphemous version of a 'Liturgy' held in a US Roman Catholic Church which involves choreography and GIANT PUPPETS... Yes Giant Puppets...Look at it and be amazed and appalled all at one

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/rh_nqtp3VrU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe

Sorry to repeat myself, but this is, again, from a conference called 'Women Church Call to Action'- a group of women's priesthood advocates who have *broken away from* the Roman Catholic Church.

spcasuncoast.org
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #80 on: September 25, 2011, 09:58:14 AM »

So far the music has been a bit of a let down for me this year...

Lazarus A.D. - Black Rivers Flow - Nothing really stands out except the title song
Becoming the Archetype - Celestial Compilation - I like this album, but then I'm not a big BtA fan, so I went into the album not expecting a lot
Destruction - Day of Reckoning - Can't get into it
Symphony X - Iconoclast - Can't get into it
Obscura - Omnivium - Can't get into it
Onslaught - Sounds of Violence - Can't get into it
Havok - Time Is Up - A moderate let down after a good debut
Believer - Transhuman - A moderate let down after their awesome comeback album Gabriel

I still have to buy albums by Opeth, Mastodon, and Megadeth, though based on the clips I've heard I don't have high expectations...

[I yield the soapbox]
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #81 on: December 18, 2011, 09:36:23 PM »

The only album I ended up liking this year was Celestial Compilation by Becoming the Archetype. Bah!
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #82 on: December 18, 2011, 10:02:24 PM »

Aha! You're back!  Grin angel

Good to see you.

spcasuncoast.org
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #83 on: December 18, 2011, 10:58:47 PM »

Does System of a Down count?

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #84 on: December 18, 2011, 11:04:02 PM »

Sure Smiley  I guess some people might not, but then genre/sub-genre categorizing isn't exactly an exact science exactly.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #85 on: December 19, 2011, 09:06:47 AM »

Exact science or not, SOAD is definitely not folk or death metal

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #86 on: December 19, 2011, 09:23:45 AM »

Exact science or not, SOAD is definitely not folk or death metal

True, though this thread isn't exactly about just those two anymore  angel
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #87 on: January 03, 2012, 04:33:30 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePJ5vsdErPU

something more
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #88 on: January 03, 2012, 05:18:41 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Lets do it, the OC.net collaboration album, this is what we do on other band related forums, I have worked on the Sonic Youth Gossip (forum) Compilation as well, its a lot of fun.  Somebody just has to spear head the mix-down and collect all the submissions.  Members are designated parts (drums, guitar, bass etc etc) and email their tracks to each other and then put them together. 

I'm sure there are lots of heavy bands with Orthodox members in them...
 And besides, many people have pre-conceived notions about how all Christian metal or Christian rock is awful, so probably quite a few people don't want to be associated with it and would rather just be seen as Christians playing in a (secular) band. This is actually something I'm struggling with at the moment.

Of course as an artist, I agree with your sentiment of "pre-conceived notions" as I personally don't like playing in specifically "Christian" bands as I think it is limiting for art.  As an artist I am already a Christian and so ALL of my art reflects Christianity, I don't feel the need to accentuate or make it any more obvious, I prefer to work subtly and let the art speak for itself, so I for one would have those objections Wink

Anyway, don't many Orthodox have a strong aversion to rock music in general?

Many Orthodox Christians do, and then again others do not.  Personally, I am absorbed in intelligent yet aggressive music, tool is my favorite, but I grew up on Crust and Chaos punk so blast beats are my thing Smiley

For me, the edge and aggression that listening (and playing/writing, I am a musician as well and I play reggae and blues but also metal and punk equally) to this music brings is related to the sense of repentance.  I myself use this music as a vehicle to sort out aggression, frustration, fear, and anger through the music.  I use the music to help make sense of my feelings and work them out tangibly, so that the vibrations of the sound waves can carry them away, worked out and resolved.  It is therefore therapeutic to me.  Some folks think this music is energized by Satan, but as a musician I completely disagree.  Some "Gospel" music is energized by Satan when it is not played in sincerity just as some of this aggressive music can be energized by the Holy Spirit when played by Christians from their hearts.

or like Asterkiktos said more beautifully and succinctly
Can't say that I agree. Metal gives me peace, comforts me in times of depression and sorrow, gives me an outlet or way of channeling anger and aggression, and frankly I find some of it to be quite beautiful (though I wouldn't expect someone not into metal--or even most metalheads--to consider metal "beautiful").

For me, this music is energized by the human heart trying to make sense of a sometimes confusing emotional world.  This music's sound and lyrics cover the entire range of the human condition and experience, and that is a valuable insight sometimes.  Art should reflect the complexity and totality of being human, and the Bible is as angst-filled as any other art.  I think that the sound of aggressive metal would be equally appropriate soundtracks to some Biblical scenes and in my life it serves the same purpose which is also why I read a variety of novels, to better understand myself through these vehicles of expression.

Stay blessed,
habte selassie

« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 05:28:08 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #89 on: January 29, 2012, 12:06:37 AM »

Anything in English or at least with English subtitles? I feel weird listening to hardcore metal without knowing for sure that what I'm listening to isn't an invocation to Satan or something.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #90 on: January 29, 2012, 12:11:24 AM »

Anything in English or at least with English subtitles? I feel weird listening to hardcore metal without knowing for sure that what I'm listening to isn't an invocation to Satan or something.

I tried to find some Orthodox doom the other day, with little success. After searching for a while I finally found two bands, who I listened to on youtube, but they weren't very interesting IMO. And I don't know what language it was... too hard to tell, lol...

William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #91 on: January 29, 2012, 12:11:52 AM »

I don't get the end.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #92 on: January 29, 2012, 12:13:19 AM »

I think this is going to be a bad year for me and metal. The only music I was really looking forward to coming into this year was the new one by COC, and based on what I've heard so far, I'm not even going to buy the thing now. Blah. Oh well, I can use this year to go back and find older albums I should have bought the first time around but missed.
stpaulphilip

Jurisdiction: Serbian

« Reply #93 on: March 01, 2012, 06:14:18 PM »

I'm not bragging, but I am one of the meanest, fastest, double bassiest metal drummers you could ever meet.  I've played in death metal bands (as well as other genres), toured around the US and I've been involved in the recording of 7 albums. 

I'm so glad all that foolishness is behind me now.  It is like a demon that clung to me for years.  The memories of the horrible lyrics I listened to as a younger guy still haunt me.  They pop up in my head during prayer.  I don't see how anyone could practice the Jesus Prayer then go turn on some Cannibal Corpse, or any fake metal junk with "Christian" lyrics.  The anger produced by the obviously very angry music actually effected me physically.  The temptations of the dark clubs and bars I played in are more than I could endure, and any God-seeking Christian should avoid places like that. 

I'm just glad that I'm Orthodox now.  It is like therapy for my horribly sinful soul.  It will take a long time for me to recover.  I just hope my children don't do what I did.  I'm not a fundamentalist or anything, but I would caution all you metal/punk/black metal people to .....  grow up. 

Isaiah 5:20 "Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!"
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #94 on: March 01, 2012, 06:19:35 PM »

Cannibal Corpse is simply a crappy band and always have been. I think you missed out on the good stuff.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #95 on: March 01, 2012, 06:20:27 PM »

I'm not bragging, but I am one of the meanest, fastest, double bassiest metal drummers you could ever meet.  I've played in death metal bands (as well as other genres), toured around the US and I've been involved in the recording of 7 albums. 

I'm so glad all that foolishness is behind me now.  It is like a demon that clung to me for years.  The memories of the horrible lyrics I listened to as a younger guy still haunt me.  They pop up in my head during prayer.  I don't see how anyone could practice the Jesus Prayer then go turn on some Cannibal Corpse, or any fake metal junk with "Christian" lyrics.  The anger produced by the obviously very angry music actually effected me physically.  The temptations of the dark clubs and bars I played in are more than I could endure, and any God-seeking Christian should avoid places like that. 

I'm just glad that I'm Orthodox now.  It is like therapy for my horribly sinful soul.  It will take a long time for me to recover.  I just hope my children don't do what I did.  I'm not a fundamentalist or anything, but I would caution all you metal/punk/black metal people to .....  grow up. 

So you wanna join the band? An ex of mine is one the meanest drummers around, when she is in my presence at least, but you are willing to try to out mean her.

PM me a head shot, some video footage, and some of your tracks.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
stpaulphilip

« Reply #96 on: March 01, 2012, 06:21:03 PM »

Cannibal Corpse is simply a crappy band and always have been. I think you missed out on the good stuff.

I'll remind you I was involved in this junk for the majority of my life.  I missed nothing.  

Isaiah 5:20 "Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!"
Eastern Mind
Hi! I'm Olaf and I like warm hugs!
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Hopeful
Jurisdiction: Greece

« Reply #97 on: March 01, 2012, 08:09:02 PM »

Orthodox doom

LOL. Somehow those don't go together  laugh

"ALL THE GODS OF THE HINDUS ARE DEMONS HAHAHAHAHA!!"
stpaulphilip

« Reply #98 on: March 02, 2012, 04:17:34 PM »

Foolish are the silly people that listen to it and imitate the growling noises and mimic blast beats with their hands, etc.  It is for boys rebelling against their parents while growing their first pubic hairs who have see-through mustaches who haven't had a hair cut in a couple months and brush it off their forehead constantly, and reeeaaally want a tattoo and are considering getting huge holes put in their ears because they inwardly love jungle type paganism and tribal tattoos.  If you have graduated from high school, or are over the age of 17, and still imitate growling voices while you drive home from your job at BK and get shivers when a blast beat happens, you are a looooser.

stpaulphilip

« Reply #99 on: March 02, 2012, 04:48:27 PM »

From a lecture by Fr. Seraphim.  Please read the whole thing.  It's not that much.  

"The child who has been exposed from his earliest years to good classical music, and has seen his soul being developed by it, will not be nearly as tempted by the crude rhythm and message of rock and other contemporary forms of pseudo-music as someone who has grown up without a musical education. Such a musical education, as several of the Optina Elders have said, refines the soul and prepares it for the reception of spiritual impressions.

The child who has been educated in good literature, drama, and poetry and has felt their effect on his soul -- that is, has really enjoyed them -- will not easily become an addict of contemporary movies and television programs and cheap novels that devastate the soul and take it away from the Christian path.

The child who has learned to see beauty in classical painting and sculpture will not easily be drawn into the perversity of contemporary art or be attracted by the garish products of modern advertising and pornography.

The child who knows something of the history of the world, especially in Christian times, and how other people have lived and thought, what mistakes and pitfalls people have fallen into by departing from God and His commandments, and what glorious and influential lives they have lived when they were faithful to Him, will be discerning about the life and philosophy of our own times and will not be inclined to follow the first new philosophy or way of life he encounters ...

In general, the person who is well acquainted with the best products of secular culture -- which in the West almost always have definite religious and Christian overtones -- has a much better chance of leading a normal, fruitful Orthodox* life than someone who knows only the popular culture of today. One who is converted to Orthodoxy straight from 'rock' culture, and in general anyone who thinks he can combine Orthodoxy with that kind of culture -- has much suffering to go through and a difficult road in life before he can become a truly serious Orthodox Christian who is capable of handing on his faith to others. Without this suffering, without the awareness, Orthodox parents will raise their children to be devoured by the contemporary world."

Source: http://orthodoxinfo.com/praxis/rose_wv.aspx

MK
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 06:46:55 PM by Michał Kalina » Logged

crux_84

« Reply #100 on: March 04, 2012, 06:25:26 PM »

The anger produced by the obviously very angry music actually effected me physically. 

By any chance your not reffering to high blood pressure and/or fatigue are you?

"The Christian punx are the society of St. John the Forerunner."
stpaulphilip

« Reply #101 on: March 05, 2012, 11:26:02 PM »

The anger produced by the obviously very angry music actually effected me physically. 

By any chance your not reffering to high blood pressure and/or fatigue are you?

Hmm, well, possibly yes. 

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #102 on: April 08, 2012, 04:16:00 PM »

Foolish are the silly people that listen to it and imitate the growling noises and mimic blast beats with their hands, etc.  It is for boys rebelling against their parents while growing their first pubic hairs who have see-through mustaches who haven't had a hair cut in a couple months and brush it off their forehead constantly, and reeeaaally want a tattoo and are considering getting huge holes put in their ears because they inwardly love jungle type paganism and tribal tattoos.  If you have graduated from high school, or are over the age of 17, and still imitate growling voices while you drive home from your job at BK and get shivers when a blast beat happens, you are a looooser.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #103 on: April 17, 2012, 05:28:21 PM »

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #104 on: June 30, 2012, 10:16:59 PM »

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #105 on: June 30, 2012, 10:28:26 PM »

Randy Blythe Arrested in Prague on Charges of Manslaughter
That person
OC.net guru

« Reply #106 on: June 30, 2012, 11:18:03 PM »

President Hayes was notoriously straight-edge. Ironic really, given all the corruption that resulted in his nomination.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #107 on: July 06, 2012, 03:36:23 PM »

Tourniquet's new album is finally being released soon (it's now available for preorder). It's called... *drum roll* ...Antiseptic Bloodbath.

My first reaction was: what?

My second reaction was: what?

Ok. Strange title. An explanation from the email I got:

"The title track, ANTISEPTIC BLOODBATH, speaks of the way our society prefers to sanitize brutality. We can have our tidy Christian faith, or continue with no faith at all, as long as we don't consider the painful bloody price that was paid ...for us. We use animals for our food, profit, and amusement, but would rather not know about the needless, often systematic suffering that is inflicted on them by a callous and greedy humanity. "Don't upset my comfort zone - brutal truth, leave me alone". The great news is that we have the ability to choose. This album encourages us to make good and humane choices in our daily lives that reflect these images."

Hopefully it will be a bright spot in what is looking like an otherwise drab year. It has guest lead guitar work by Karl Sanders), Marty Friedman, Bruce Franklin, Pat Travers and Santiago Dobles.
christian7777
Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #108 on: July 06, 2012, 06:06:26 PM »

I, for one, can't stand heavy metal or hard rock, it just disgusts me. But if somebody else likes it, fine with me, I don't mind (as long as I have earplugs or can escape to a different building/city/state/galaxy). Smiley

You must really dislike it.  laugh
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #109 on: July 28, 2012, 09:08:05 PM »

Tourniquet put up all the songs from their new album on their youtube page, if you want to check them out...
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #110 on: September 03, 2012, 04:38:05 PM »

For those who don't konw, Blythe was eventually released (a month ago)...
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #111 on: September 03, 2012, 06:54:59 PM »

Thank God! Smiley

spcasuncoast.org
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #112 on: September 04, 2012, 11:23:45 AM »

So far the music has been a bit of a let down for me this year...

Lazarus A.D. - Black Rivers Flow - Nothing really stands out except the title song
Becoming the Archetype - Celestial Compilation - I like this album, but then I'm not a big BtA fan, so I went into the album not expecting a lot
Destruction - Day of Reckoning - Can't get into it
Symphony X - Iconoclast - Can't get into it
Obscura - Omnivium - Can't get into it
Onslaught - Sounds of Violence - Can't get into it
Havok - Time Is Up - A moderate let down after a good debut
Believer - Transhuman - A moderate let down after their awesome comeback album Gabriel

I still have to buy albums by Opeth, Mastodon, and Megadeth, though based on the clips I've heard I don't have high expectations...

[I yield the soapbox]

Blah. The Opeth album was ok, but it's obviously not metal. The Mastodon album was the biggest let down I've had in years. The Megadeth album was medicore at best. The As I Lay Dying compilation album Decas was ok I guess. I ended up really liking the Becoming the Archetype album after more listens. Paragon of Dissonance by Esoteric was quite interesting, and I also bought the new Toxic Holocaust album but couldn't get into it.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #113 on: September 05, 2012, 10:09:50 PM »

I think this is going to be a bad year for me and metal.

It's not turning out too bad after all. Or leastwise not as bad as I feared. Still no clear "favorite album of the year" though.
That person
OC.net guru

« Reply #114 on: September 16, 2012, 07:54:35 PM »

You heard the latest BtA single, Asteriktos? I'm honestly not too impressed personally, but I'll probably get the album eventually.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #115 on: September 17, 2012, 06:44:09 AM »

I hadn't heard anything from the new album so I youtubed for something, and the newest on there seemed to be some of "The Time Bender," is that the one you were thinking of? In any event, I preordered the album the other day, mostly based on my liking of their last album. I think the album is set to come out tomorrow, so hopefully I'll have it some time this week.
That person
OC.net guru

« Reply #116 on: September 17, 2012, 08:31:56 PM »

Yeah, Time Bender. Wasn't the best I've heard of them, but maybe the rest of the album will be better.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #117 on: September 23, 2012, 11:02:49 PM »

Let's hope so, they already have my money!  Grin

In other news, apparently there's an Extol documentary in the works...
That person
OC.net guru

« Reply #118 on: September 26, 2012, 02:59:21 AM »

Checking out their Wiki page, looks like they've had some pretty extensive lineup changes lately. Hate to say it, but I'm afraid they might have lost their touch. But hey, I still haven't heard all of I Am, so I can't judge just yet.

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #119 on: January 31, 2013, 05:52:05 PM »

something from Holy Serbia: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9tRydI8mIE

and something not Rock: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHfdllJ1ZrE
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #120 on: January 31, 2013, 06:04:59 PM »

Another one Serbian tune (this one not bad): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSgiTrL3xk8
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 06:05:18 PM by Michał Kalina » Logged
Symeon77

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese

'with fear and trembling work out your salvation.'

« Reply #121 on: February 04, 2013, 12:11:48 PM »

Hunter Hunt-Hendrix, the creative force behind the Brooklyn-based black-metal band Liturgy, has gone to extravagant lengths to ensure that the hardcore metal community utterly loathes him. The band performs black-metal festivals in jeans and street clothes, instead of the normal corpse paint, to heckling and jeers. In interviews, he talks about metal's ability to induce "disorientation from ordinary, end-directed existence" like some black-metal David Foster Wallace. He uses the music, which has virulent opposition to Christianity encoded in its DNA, as a vehicle to explore Big Ideas about, among other things, Christian redemption. Aesthethica, their second album, comes out on Thrill Jockey, home to the Sea and Cake, High Places, Fiery Furnaces, and absolutely zero other metal bands. Oh, and if you ask, he's also happy to share stories about hanging out with Ezra Koenig when they both went to Columbia University.

see here for the rest:

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/15427-aesthethica/

Checked out some of their tracks on Youtube, and, while black metal is not really my cup of tea, they seem pretty decent as far as the genre goes.

Where Christianity disappears, greed, envy, and lust invent a thousand ideologies to justify themselves.~ Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Abba Anthony said, "A time is coming when men will go mad, and when they see someone who is not mad, they will attack him saying, 'You are mad, you are not like us.'"
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #122 on: February 20, 2013, 04:10:28 PM »

R.F.Braha - Ślapy
http://wschodnie.wrzuta.pl/u/7mGt18DxhDQ

Not metal but quite good song with not bad lyrics.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #123 on: March 11, 2013, 06:44:11 AM »

Cherubim hymn in Finnish (I think so):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlfqA7LfqR8
Strongylocentrotus

Faith: I am an atheist, but I do have faith in a good horse...
Jurisdiction: Baptised in the Bulgarian Orthodox Church

With Overlook Cocquette - my favorite mare 1984

« Reply #124 on: March 16, 2013, 10:56:24 PM »

Nationalist fantasy often cloak with Religion.  In the end it is about killing other who don't belong in fantasy.  Rossia, Ukraina, even Bulgaristan indulge in fantasy today.  Serbi and Hrvati already indulge.  Great voina in Yugoslavia many peoples die, no homes.  All bad.

If you cain't stand the stink, then don't kick the skunk!
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #125 on: March 16, 2013, 11:33:29 PM »

Nationalist fantasy often cloak with Religion.  In the end it is about killing other who don't belong in fantasy.  Rossia, Ukraina, even Bulgaristan indulge in fantasy today.  Serbi and Hrvati already indulge.  Great voina in Yugoslavia many peoples die, no homes.  All bad.

Yeah, but can you give us a song?  Huh

spcasuncoast.org
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #126 on: March 16, 2013, 11:37:46 PM »

I tried, Alveus, I tried.
Strongylocentrotus

Faith: I am an atheist, but I do have faith in a good horse...
Jurisdiction: Baptised in the Bulgarian Orthodox Church

With Overlook Cocquette - my favorite mare 1984

« Reply #127 on: March 17, 2013, 12:28:58 AM »

Song?  You want song?  Okay, I like Ta Pedia tou Pereia, by Manos Hadjidakis.  You American boy? You like modern song.  You may like Izmirli Yarim by Fide Koksal. Nice Turkish girl live in Yunanistan.

Izmirli Yarim" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ox_vvVFI_j8&playnext=1&list=PL8EA65A4243697267&feature=results_video
ta Pedia tou Pereia: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCFXGanTx4A
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 12:36:29 AM by Strongylocentrotus » Logged

If you cain't stand the stink, then don't kick the skunk!
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #128 on: March 17, 2013, 05:53:31 AM »

Song?  You want song?  Okay, I like Ta Pedia tou Pereia, by Manos Hadjidakis.  You American boy? You like modern song.  You may like Izmirli Yarim by Fide Koksal. Nice Turkish girl live in Yunanistan.

Izmirli Yarim" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ox_vvVFI_j8&playnext=1&list=PL8EA65A4243697267&feature=results_video
ta Pedia tou Pereia: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCFXGanTx4A

Okay, who are you? Quit the charade.

spcasuncoast.org
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #129 on: April 12, 2013, 07:54:11 AM »

http://devilsofbelgrade.bandcamp.com/track/our-venerable-mother-petka

Something from Serbia. I like ho band's name fits the tile of the song.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #130 on: April 12, 2013, 07:59:55 AM »

http://devilsofbelgrade.bandcamp.com/track/our-venerable-mother-petka

Something from Serbia. I like ho band's name fits the tile of the song.

And the title of the song does not fit the music... at all.

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #131 on: April 12, 2013, 08:28:40 AM »

"Devils of Belgrade are the keepers of the ancient secrets; the seekers of the lost riffs of yore."

Smiley Yay!

spcasuncoast.org
lovesupreme
OC.net guru

« Reply #132 on: May 12, 2013, 05:10:35 PM »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/08/tim-lambesis-arrested_n_3234749.html

This is horrible news. Lord have mercy!

I am prone to bouts of sarcasm. Please forgive me if my posts have offended you.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #133 on: May 14, 2013, 02:17:14 AM »

Music Festival "Antipascha" promo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FM8-7e5FkDo

Christ is risen!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRQjjEOChXs
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 02:20:40 AM by Michał Kalina » Logged
montalban
Now in colour
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #134 on: May 14, 2013, 04:11:06 AM »

Merriam-Webster/Punk

1punk noun \ˈpəŋk\

Definition of PUNK

1archaic : prostitute

2[probably partly from 3punk] : nonsense, foolishness

3a : a young inexperienced person : beginner, novice; especially : a young man b : a usually petty gangster, hoodlum, or ruffian c slang : a young man used as a homosexual partner especially in a prison
4a : punk rock b : a punk rock musician c : one who affects punk styles

Origin of PUNK

origin unknown

First Known Use: 1596 (Punk = young male homosexual prostitute.)

~~~ ~~~ ~~~

†IC XC†
†NI KA†

Thanks for the trivia - if that's all you posted it for.

Punk in early Australia meant a soldier's girlfriend.

Words change meaning

Fàilte dhut a Mhoire,
tha thu lan de na gràsan;
Tha an Tighearna maille riut.
craibow

« Reply #135 on: May 24, 2013, 12:20:58 AM »

Try "For Today". They are not afraid of sharing their faith and not one song can be mistaken for anything but singing God's praise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcF12UXHCAE

craibow

« Reply #136 on: May 24, 2013, 12:23:29 AM »

Seraphim, For Today Lyrics

Burn, and let the whole world see! You were made to burn.
...and let the whole world see! You were made to burn.
...and let the whole world see! You were made to burn.

I see an old breed of prophet arising, speaking as voices from another age;
set ablaze with the flame of the Spirit of God, and sent from before the throne.
...sent from before the throne.
We are sent from before the throne to stand up and speak out,
and let hell tremble when they hear us say,
“We are the burning ones, and we will not be contained!”
“We are the burning ones, and we will not be contained!” Oh...

Burning ones, arise! Come forth!

Oh take your flame, ignite the world.
We are the only hope for a hopeless world to see the face of the living God.
Oh take your flame, ignite the world.
Under the name above all names, we declare that the glorious One lives.
Take your flame, ignite the world. Take your flame, ignite the world!
Take your flame, ignite the world. Take your flame, ignite the world!

Come to the throne! Come to the throne!
You were made to burn and let the whole world see!
Burn, and let the whole world see. Burn, and let the whole world see.

Oh take your flame, ignite the world! Oh take your flame, ignite the world!
...ignite the world! Take your flame, ignite the world! Take your flame, ignite the
world! Take your flame, ignite the world! Take your flame, ignite the world!
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #137 on: May 24, 2013, 06:57:22 AM »

Looking at this ridiculous thread, I remember how humorous * was at times.

Rest in peace, buddy.

Really, I know he struggled a bit with insomnia.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #138 on: May 24, 2013, 08:11:50 AM »

Did he leave the forum for good?

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #139 on: May 27, 2013, 01:15:38 PM »

Not metal, and not Orthodox but still nice:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qsr9KibGarc&feature=youtu.be&t=46s
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #140 on: May 27, 2013, 01:18:22 PM »

Did he leave the forum for good?

Awww, I hope not.  Embarrassed

spcasuncoast.org
That person
OC.net guru

« Reply #141 on: May 27, 2013, 04:19:32 PM »

Christopher Lee's new album is pretty solid.

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #142 on: January 24, 2014, 05:53:32 PM »

http://www.realmusic.ru/rock_prorock/
They are actually not that bad.
Tags: music 
Pages: 1 2 3 4 All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: