OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 21, 2014, 06:35:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Armenian Apostolic Church/Armenian Congregational/Evangelical...Church?  (Read 2360 times) Average Rating: 0
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« on: January 23, 2009, 10:47:55 AM »

I pass by these two churches every week when I go to the GOA church in the area, which is actually (and ironically) right in between these two churches. 

Here is the link for the "Apostolic Church" = http://www.soorpstepanos.org/tp40/Default.asp?ID=138749

Here is the link for the congregational/evangelical Armenian church = http://www.merchantcircle.com/business/Armenian.Memorial.Congregational.Church.617-923-0498

Here is a link explaining the evangelical movement in Armenia, that I found = http://www.ucc.org/about-us/hidden-histories/armenian-congregationalists.html

So...I am definitely confused.  I had heard a story that these two communities actually came from the same group of Armenians, who ended up splitting, almost like a Protestant fraction, splitting into two separate churches, from the same group. 

How prevalent is this?  How did this all really come about?  Just trying to figure out any kind of history or story here.

If this is the wrong section for this, please let me know and feel free to move it...

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 01:39:18 PM »

The Apostolic Church seems to celebrate a Divine Liturgy, so are they a sect off the main Armenian Church?

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 03:37:18 PM »

The first church--St Stephen's Armenian Apostolic Church--is a canonical Armenian Orthodox church. In the 'about us' section it makes clear that it is under the jurisdiction of the Eastern Prelacy of the Armenian Church which is, "affiliated with and under the jurisdiction of the Holy See of the Great House of Cilicia, located in Antelias, Lebanon. His Holiness Aram I is the Catholicos of the See of Cilicia."

The Armenian Orthodox Church has come to be known as 'the Armenian Apostolic Church' within the last century or so. I offered my own brief explanation of this on my website:

Since its occupation under the Soviet Union, the Armenian Orthodox Church has also come to be known as the ‘Armenian Apostolic Church.’ The latter name was one coined and imputed upon the Armenian Church by the Russian Orthodox occupants and undoubtedly reflects their confessional prejudice. As such, whilst most Armenians have unwittingly adopted the title in question in relation to their Church, others, such as His Eminence Arhcbishop Baliozian, consider it disparaging given their conscious awareness of the context in which it arose.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 03:37:46 PM by EkhristosAnesti » Logged

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 08:00:34 PM »

Thanks, EA.   Smiley

serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2009, 11:18:37 PM »

i'm wondering actually more about the other church, the evangelical one...?  Any information about this happening, and how?  Thanks...

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2009, 01:01:28 AM »

Armenian Protestantism started in the 19th century.  Protestant missionaries came to the Ottoman Empire originally to convert Muslims.  Then when they discovered that could get them killed, they switched to converting Orthodox. 

In my grandfather's village they built a school and then required anyone interested in enrolling their child to convert.  My grandfather's grandfather responded to this by building a school of his own where the Orthodox could enroll their children without having to abandon their Church.  The Armenian Patriarch of Constantinople rewarded him by sending a letter praising his work and changing his name from Baljanian to Parichanian, which means "one who does good."

There are Armenian Protestant Churches today of various denominations.  I would say that Armenian Protestants make up less than five percent of the total Armenian population, but they are a very visible and active group.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 01:20:48 AM by Salpy » Logged

Gisasargavak

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Armenian Apostolic Orthodox Church - Holy See of Echmiadzin

Առէ'ք, Կերէ'ք այս է մարմին իմ:

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 02:02:23 PM »

To me, Armenian chant is as unique as Georgian, Russian, Byzantine, Coptic or any other sort of chant. It is unique in it's own right. It is possible that you may find it similar to Latin because of Gregorian chant? Both in their original forms are monophonic...other than this I can't see any similarity. Armenian chant is very fond of what we would call in the West the "harmonic minor" scale, which gives it its distinctive "Middle Eastern" sound. However, even this doesn't fully explain Armenian chant, because the Coptic Church also uses "Middle Eastern" melodies, and the two traditions sound completely different.

The "westernization" of Armenian chant and liturgical singing probably began somewhere at the beginning/middle of the 19th century when the music started to be dictated using Western notation by people like the Mkhitarists and later Komitas Vartabed and Markar Yekmalian. This new musical setting probably brought a more "western" sound to it due to the nature of Western notation. Still, to me the music is very haunting and is almost nothing like western music, especially if you look at some of the RC's modern songs...

As for the influence of Latin Christianity: you have to realize that the Church didn't exist in a vacuum and was constantly changing hands between Rome, Byzantium, Persians, Arabs (and later) the Turks. At that time, Armenians probably weren't as concerned with perserving "cultural homogeneity" as they are today. They might have adopted certain cultural practices of the empire at the time to show fidelity or just simply because they liked that particular tradition. Personally, I think it's cool when the Bishop comes to serve Liturgy and the deacons have to hold up his hat (mitre) in front of everyone. Cheesy
Severian
God save Egypt, Syria, Lebanon & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Coptic/Egyptian Orthodoxy

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Christians

Partisangirl
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2012, 12:32:17 AM »

Thread resurrection!

"What on Earth was I smoking?"

-My personal reaction when re-reading half of the c**p I've written on this forum.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2012, 03:02:21 PM »

How Armenian OOs refer to themselves? Just by "Armenian"?

dzheremi
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2012, 03:29:34 PM »

I would think that for historical reasons (the genocide, the large diaspora, etc.) almost all Armenian Orthodox are ethnic Armenians so...all of them? What else would fit?

Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2012, 03:54:57 PM »

I would think that for historical reasons (the genocide, the large diaspora, etc.) almost all Armenian Orthodox are ethnic Armenians so...all of them? What else would fit?

I don't know. It just occurred to me to ask whether the actual people refer themselves as "Orthodox" or some other name even though the name of the church is "Apostolic" instead of "Orthodox".

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2012, 06:33:44 PM »

Armenians, when speaking Armenian, usually refer to their Church as "Arakelagan," which means Apostolic.  As EA indicated above, however, that is a relatively recent thing.  If you look at the liturgy and prayers, our Church is referred to as "Ooghapar," which means Orthodox.  For example, St. Nerses' 19th prayer refers to our faith as "orthodox faith":

Bestower of mercy, grant that I may come to Thee with orthodox faith, good works, and with the communion of Thy Holy Body and Blood. Have mercy upon Thy creatures and upon me, a manifold sinner.

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,13200.msg199055.html#msg199055

The word used in the original is "ooghapar."

In the liturgy, also, the word ooghapar is used when we pray for all "Orthodox bishops" etc. in the litanies. 

So historically, our Church was referred to as Ooghapar, or Orthodox. 

I'm not sure when or how the word "Arakelagan" (Apostolic,) came to be so popularly used.  EA's explanation above is as good as any. 

Tags: Armenian Church Protestant Christianity 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: