OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 22, 2014, 05:48:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Liturgical Practices of New Skete  (Read 7677 times) Average Rating: 0
BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

OC.net

« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2009, 10:44:17 AM »

Btw, does anybody know how New Skete was able to go from Roman Catholic to Orthodox without forfeiting their church buildings and properties?

they moved to their current NY state site from western PA - they built that NY monastery as Orthodox monks

Incorrect.  The monastic brotherhood was founded in 1966.  They spent a short time in PA before moving to Cambridge, NY in August of 1966.  Their smaller church, that of the Transfiguration, was consecrated in 1970.  They weren't recieved into the OCA until 1979.

http://www.newsketemonks.com/history.htm

Fr. Deacon Lance

you are quite correct, I wrote that from having remembered reading one of their spiritual books almost ten years ago; i went to their web site to check  and revised my post
Tags: New Skete diversity in practice 
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: