Author Topic: Liturgical Practices of New Skete  (Read 14198 times)

Offline BrotherAidan

• OC.net guru
  • OC.net
Re: Liturgical Practices of New Skete
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2009, 10:44:17 AM »

Btw, does anybody know how New Skete was able to go from Roman Catholic to Orthodox without forfeiting their church buildings and properties?

they moved to their current NY state site from western PA - they built that NY monastery as Orthodox monks

Incorrect.  The monastic brotherhood was founded in 1966.  They spent a short time in PA before moving to Cambridge, NY in August of 1966.  Their smaller church, that of the Transfiguration, was consecrated in 1970.  They weren't recieved into the OCA until 1979.

http://www.newsketemonks.com/history.htm

Fr. Deacon Lance

you are quite correct, I wrote that from having remembered reading one of their spiritual books almost ten years ago; i went to their web site to check  and revised my post

Offline wgw

• Addicted to liturgical music
  • Protokentarchos
  • This icon is of St. Athansius.
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2016, 04:13:18 PM »
I am no fan of the liturgical praxis of New Skete but likening them to Christian Scientists, or implying they are in some way followers of Christian Science, seems more than a little far fetched; indeed, I think its improper and libelous to make such a grave accusation anout a canonical Orthodox monastic institution without supporting evidence.

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2016, 04:24:01 PM »
bored ?
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline wgw

• Addicted to liturgical music
  • Protokentarchos
  • This icon is of St. Athansius.
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2016, 06:32:11 PM »
bored ?

No I have no idea how I stumbled across this ancient thread tbh.  I think it was from the discussion of God the Father in monastic images.  Actually I am nervous because I am awaiting an important update regarding my mothers health and related financial matters.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2016, 06:58:36 PM »
bored ?

No I have no idea how I stumbled across this ancient thread tbh.  I think it was from the discussion of God the Father in monastic images.  Actually I am nervous because I am awaiting an important update regarding my mothers health and related financial matters.

Praying it goes well.
Is that what they teach you at the temple volnutt-stein?

Actually, it's Volnutt-berg.

Rome doesn't care. Rome is actually very cool guy.