OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 06:04:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: When do fasts starts  (Read 1488 times) Average Rating: 0
Jonny

Faith: Inquirer
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

Presently in the Roman Catholic Communion

« on: January 21, 2009, 09:39:30 AM »

Do the Wednesday and Friday fasts start at sunset on Tuesday and Thursday and roll through until the next sunset or do they start at waking until sleeping?
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 10:35:59 AM »

They run from midnight to midnight.

While it would be "logical" to fast from sundown to sundown since that is when the day starts in "Byzantine" time, that would mean that

a) one would never go a full waking day without breaking the fast
b) people would start to get real liberal with when Vespers is served so the fast could be broken

Wake to sleep is also subjective since people work and sleep different schedules, so if we stick to midnight to midnight we will always be consistent.

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 12:06:22 PM »

In the Middle East at least, the real way is to fast the whole day, but eating the [i.e. one] Lenten meal after sunset.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 12:24:57 PM »

It's not just a Middle Eastern thing. The typikon specifies at what time the meal can be eaten on various levels of fasting days, but hardly anyone seems able to follow that rule these days.

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 12:57:12 PM »

I used to work with a gentleman who was a very pious Coptic Orthodox Christian. He was so good and so observant about observing the fasts (which are much stricter than the EOC) I always felt lame about my fasting practices. He wouldn't eat all day, then just have a small humble meal at night.

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009, 01:52:31 PM »

I used to work with a gentleman who was a very pious Coptic Orthodox Christian. He was so good and so observant about observing the fasts (which are much stricter than the EOC) I always felt lame about my fasting practices. He wouldn't eat all day, then just have a small humble meal at night.

Those ARE the EOC fasting practices.

No food or water should be consumed between midnight at the 9th Hour (3pm), but since 9th Hour prayers are usually said immediately before Vespers, it is more common to wait until after sundown. After this time, believers should limit themselves to one modest meal, abstaining from all animal products, oil and wine (afaik, the abstaining from oil is the only difference between EO and Coptic practice).
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2009, 02:15:40 PM »

Jonny,

I don't wish to be contradictory towards what Fr. Anastasios said as far as going from midnight to midnight without food or drink, but, as others have pointed out, work schedules, family schedules, dietary needs etc. will either make such a rule easier or more difficult to follow.  Fr. Anastasios' point about going from Vespers to Vespers is subject to cheating because people can always celebrate Vespers earlier or later to make their fasts shorter.  I'd establish a rule, whatever rule, in consultation with a priest, of course and then follow it.  But remember, and this is important, that the Publican was justified not because of his fasting but because of his humility.  It is always a means to an end.  At the same time, it is a vital discipline in the practice of Orthodoxy.  there are so many threads about that on this board.  Just remember that if you are new to Orthodoxy, you can overdo fasting to the point of seriously causing harm to yourself.  the best way is to ease into it.  Just mho.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2009, 02:41:30 PM »

Those ARE the EOC fasting practices.

No food or water should be consumed between midnight at the 9th Hour (3pm), but since 9th Hour prayers are usually said immediately before Vespers, it is more common to wait until after sundown. After this time, believers should limit themselves to one modest meal, abstaining from all animal products, oil and wine (afaik, the abstaining from oil is the only difference between EO and Coptic practice).

While I am not disputing what you say, that is not what I have been taught over the years.

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2009, 05:45:11 PM »

From the Exomologetarion of St. Nicodemus the Hagiorite:
Canon 69 of the Holy Apostles designates that any hierarch or priest or deacon or subdeacon or reader or chanter who does not fast during Great Lent and Wednesday and Friday is to be deposed. If a layperson does not fast during these times (unless he cannot fast on account of bodily illness), he is to be excommunicated. Do you see how the Apostles numbered the Wednesday and Friday fast together with the fast of Great Lent? Therefore, just as the fast of Great Lent consists in the eating of dry foods, namely, to eat but once a day, at the ninth hour, without consuming oil or wine, likewise, the fast of Wednesday and Friday is to be conducted in the exact same manner. St. Epiphanios also says: "We fast on Wednesday and Friday until the ninth hour."[16] Likewise, Philostorgios says that the fast of Wednesday and Friday does not consist in the abstention from meat, but it designates that one is not to eat any food until the evening.[17] St. Benedict (Canon 41) also designates that the fast of Wednesday and Friday is until the ninth hour. And Balsamon forbids the consumption of shellfish on Wednesday and Friday just as during Great Lent. Let us therefore stop insensibly thinking that the fast of Wednesday and Friday is not an Apostolic directive, for behold, the Apostles in their Canons number this fast together with that of Great Lent... (emphasis mine)

The whole chapter can be found here

St. Nikodemos states quite clearly that days of strict fasting (Wednesdays, Fridays, Lent, etc.) involve total abstinence from food and drink until the 9th Hour (3pm), after which one may eat a single meal consisting of "dry foods" - i.e. vegan - "without consuming oil or wine."

Of course, Scamandrius is quite right when he says you should fast as your Spiritual Father advices you. The above is the rule, not the law.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 05:46:05 PM by Orthodox11 » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: