OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 30, 2014, 01:21:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: One True Church?  (Read 48592 times) Average Rating: 0
katherineofdixie
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #540 on: March 06, 2012, 01:00:16 PM »

There is only one Truth, not seperate truthes all teaching the same truth.

And what of other matters which we have discussed before, on which the biblical and early historical records are silent? You good folk would have me believe there was infant baptism. Did some Christians pray for the dead? Or even to the dead?

Not to be nitpicky or anything, but there is evidence from the Fathers and early historical records that both infant baptism and prayers for the dead were practices.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
Azul
Moderated
High Elder

Faith: Român Ortodox
Jurisdiction: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #541 on: March 06, 2012, 01:49:45 PM »

Such as?

Every formula of every religion has in this age of reason, to submit to the acid test of reason and universal assent.
Mahatma Gandhi
Azul
Moderated
High Elder

Faith: Român Ortodox
Jurisdiction: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #542 on: March 06, 2012, 01:52:21 PM »

I haven't been following this thread closely, so forgive me if this is a tangent, but it struck me like a load of bricks during my recent visit to Ukraine that it is absolutely acceptable over there to say "ChurcES" in plural. Even Orthodox clergy says, and writes, "ChurchES." My feeble attempt to object caused only laughter and gazes full of condolence, like, "this guy is coockoo."
Well, there are many "churches", but only one "Church".

Not according to the official language of Ukrainian religious people, not anymore. They all, universally, speak of several Churches. Another term is "Confessions." If you say that there is but one Church, you automatically become a non-person in Ukraine.Smiley Political correctness rules. Eastern Rite Catholics and Protestants must be respected.Smiley

The EP always talks about Churches (capitalized), too. I understand how people in America (including myself) feel pressured to avoind "One Church" language, but it is disappointing to hear that the same has become true in parts of the Old World. Before we know it, ecumenism will be the modern equivalent to the Arian and Monophysite heresies--a fashionable belief that threatens the foundations of the Church. But so long as the faithful have the indwelling of the Holy Spirit, Orthodoxy can never fall.

It's hard to find a good and reasonable explanation to "the One True Church" thing.

Every formula of every religion has in this age of reason, to submit to the acid test of reason and universal assent.
Mahatma Gandhi
Manalive
Иоанн
Elder

Faith: Russian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate

It is later than we think.

« Reply #543 on: March 06, 2012, 01:52:33 PM »

...say that the baptism and eucharist of heretics is effectual for salvation;

This is a strange anathema, for our "heresy" is the very opposite, surely - namely, that we teach that baptism and the Lord's Supper do not effect salvation (regarding as a heresy the teaching that anyone's sacraments effect salvation), but rather that they are obedient expressions of a faith and salvation which already reside in the person's soul. I have never heard anyone say that "the baptism and eucharist of heretics is effectual for salvation" (for heretics read Baptists, Pentecostals etc etc - people like me).

The Anathema is indeed directed at Roman Catholics and other liturgically minded churches.

Not to take things too far off track but I am curious, what do Baptist make about Mark 1:4-1:4?
"John the Baptist appeared in the wilderness, proclaiming a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins."

How can they not affect salvation? The wages of sin is death. We are all descendants of Adam, born into a fallen world. That is why baptism is for the remission of sins. Even Martin Luther placed a heavy important on baptism for the remission of sins. Where in history is there record of these sacraments only being expressions of salvation and not for the actual remission of sins outside of your take on Scripture?

"Lay hold of the pathway... rugged and narrow as it is."- St. John Chrystostom
katherineofdixie
Archon

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #544 on: March 06, 2012, 02:49:01 PM »

Such as?

Right off the top of my head - the testimony of Roman tomb inscriptions and the practice of Christians gathering on the anniversary of someone's martyrdom to pray.
I can do more research if you want.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #545 on: March 06, 2012, 03:54:13 PM »

At the 1983 Holy Synod of Bishops of ROCOR:
...and who do not distinguish the priesthood and mysteries of the Church from those of the heretics, but say that the baptism and eucharist of heretics is effectual for salvation; therefore, to those who knowingly have communion with these aforementioned heretics or who advocate, disseminate, or defend their new heresy of Ecumenism under the pretext of brotherly love or the supposed unification of separated Christians, Anathema

I find this statement a little strange since I've understood that this is exactly what MP has historically taught. I don't agree with that notion but by declaring an anathema against it one declares an anathema to every singe church that has ever been in communion with MP.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 03:54:56 PM by Alpo » Logged
David Young
OC.net guru

Faith: Baptist
Jurisdiction: local church, Wrexham, Wales

2012, Presbyterian chapel, Nantyr

« Reply #546 on: March 06, 2012, 03:56:26 PM »

Roman tomb inscriptions and the practice of Christians gathering on the anniversary of someone's martyrdom to pray.

I think you need to be more specific than that. If you can, give us the inscriptions in the original Latin and Greek, with translation, and tell us what they prayed. I have prayed at Dodoni, but I wasn't praying to Zeus.

"But if you bite and devour one another, take heed that you are not consumed by one another." Galatians 5.15
David Young
OC.net guru

« Reply #547 on: March 06, 2012, 03:57:39 PM »

every single church that has ever been in communion with MP.

What's MP?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 03:58:04 PM by David Young » Logged

"But if you bite and devour one another, take heed that you are not consumed by one another." Galatians 5.15
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #548 on: March 06, 2012, 04:10:52 PM »

every single church that has ever been in communion with MP.

What's MP?

The Moscow Patriarchate.
Manalive
Иоанн
Elder

Faith: Russian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate

It is later than we think.

« Reply #549 on: March 06, 2012, 05:21:38 PM »

At the 1983 Holy Synod of Bishops of ROCOR:
...and who do not distinguish the priesthood and mysteries of the Church from those of the heretics, but say that the baptism and eucharist of heretics is effectual for salvation; therefore, to those who knowingly have communion with these aforementioned heretics or who advocate, disseminate, or defend their new heresy of Ecumenism under the pretext of brotherly love or the supposed unification of separated Christians, Anathema

I find this statement a little strange since I've understood that this is exactly what MP has historically taught. I don't agree with that notion but by declaring an anathema against it one declares an anathema to every singe church that has ever been in communion with MP.

The anathema doesn't apply to Orthodox outside of ROCOR. http://orthodoxinfo.com/ecumenism/ecum_anath.aspx

"This is an eloquent condemnation of ecumenism and a clear statement of our Synod s rejection of it. What s not so clear, however, is the fact that this anathema is legislative in nature, rather than judicial, i.e., it is a codification of a theological principle into law, but not a verdict—much less a sentence. In other words, it identifies a specific phenomenon (ecumenism) as a heresy, and prescribes the penalty (Anathema!) for those who embrace and defend it, or "knowingly have communion" with those who do*, but it excommunicates no one! It is legislation. It is not judgment. And this is borne out by Metropolitan Vitaly in an article he wrote for "Orthodox Life" (No. 4, 1984, p. 32) while he was still Archbishop of Montreal and Canada.

"Lay hold of the pathway... rugged and narrow as it is."- St. John Chrystostom
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #550 on: March 06, 2012, 07:10:50 PM »

...say that the baptism and eucharist of heretics is effectual for salvation;

This is a strange anathema, for our "heresy" is the very opposite, surely - namely, that we teach that baptism and the Lord's Supper do not effect salvation (regarding as a heresy the teaching that anyone's sacraments effect salvation), but rather that they are obedient expressions of a faith and salvation which already reside in the person's soul. I have never heard anyone say that "the baptism and eucharist of heretics is effectual for salvation" (for heretics read Baptists, Pentecostals etc etc - people like me).
The Vatican officially teaches it, and not too careful Orthodox.  I just was in an argument with some followers of the Vatican on why the Orthodox will not commune them, when they believe in the real presence and we do too (or close enough).

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #551 on: March 06, 2012, 09:07:42 PM »

Forgive me if I am wrong, but I seem to detect a mocking note in some recent posts. I guess it would not be difficult for us, on our side, to misunderstand Orthodox teaching and practice - deliberately or unintentionally - and to make fun of it. But that would not promote either mutual respect or understanding, nor would it be likely to win many converts.

Yeah I guess there was a trace of malice in that post. Sorry. It is just the attitude of Protestantism in America is much different than in Europe. I know because I used to be an American Protestant.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
David Young
OC.net guru

« Reply #552 on: March 07, 2012, 05:04:46 AM »

It is just the attitude of Protestantism in America is much different than in Europe.

I gather (from this forum) that that is so, and it grieves me. We, on our side, get the same from Orthodox in Greece, and have done also in Albania, though things seem to be improving in Albania - not towards co-operation of course, let alone to inter-communion, but at least towards courtesy. I have taken coffee and/or raki or similar with priests and a bishop in Albania, and I understand that the trainees in the seminary and Bible college visit each other's churches as part of their course, to foster some understanding of each other.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 05:07:22 AM by David Young » Logged

PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #553 on: March 11, 2012, 01:54:31 AM »

The tangent on whether baptism should be granted to infants or reserved only for more mature believers has been split off and moved here: http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,43536.0.html
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 01:54:43 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #554 on: March 12, 2012, 11:09:44 AM »

I gather (from this forum) that that is so, and it grieves me
It is way different. It also is very saddening. It also does nothing to lead folks to Christ.

I have taken coffee and/or raki or similar with priests and a bishop in Albania, and I understand that the trainees in the seminary and Bible college visit each other's churches as part of their course, to foster some understanding of each other
more proof you are a spy Wink

In all seriousness, American Protestants can really take a few lessons from their European counterparts. Unfortunately this will never happen outside of divine intervention.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Tags: ecclesiology baptism 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: