Author Topic: Circuit City to be no more  (Read 6281 times)

Offline username!

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
Circuit City to be no more
« on: January 16, 2009, 03:59:34 PM »
http://blogs.moneycentral.msn.com/topstocks/archive/2009/01/16/circuit-city-to-be-liquidated.aspx

This report speaks of how Circuit City is closing all of its 567 stores and all 30,000 employees will be no more and its stock will be bye bye. 

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
    • Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of New Jersey
Re: Circuit City to be no more
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 04:04:54 PM »
Circuit City turned down a number of takeover offers including one for over $3 Billion from an investment firm.

Give Circuit City credit for one thing; They invented and spun off the successful Carmax.  Neither Best Buy nor Wal-Mart nor Target nor even the Internet has come up with as successful of a used car selling business as Circuit City did in the 1990's.

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Toumarches
    • St.Mary the Protectress Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 04:07:52 PM »

They've already closed here.  CompUSA is gone.  OfficeDepot is on it's way out. 

I don't know how it is where "you" are, but, here in Michigan we are turning into one large ghost town.  We have huge strip malls that were bustling, and now they are all empty.  Businesses are gone, restaurants have shut down.  Even Starbucks has left many of the malls.

Thank GOD the churches are still OPEN!  :-)

Let's pray things improve in 2009.
Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 06:50:44 PM »

I don't know how it is where "you" are, but, here in Michigan we are turning into one large ghost town.  We have huge strip malls that were bustling, and now they are all empty.  Businesses are gone, restaurants have shut down.  Even Starbucks has left many of the malls.

Don't count on it, though.  Not with our economy possibly getting even sicker this year. :P
Not all who wander are lost.

Offline Myrrh23

• OC.net guru
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 07:17:22 PM »

Don't count on it, though.  Not with our economy possibly getting even sicker this year. :P

That creeps me out, since I just got into a new college and a major that I love! :(
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 07:35:41 PM by Myrrh23 »
*I am no longer posting on OC.net*

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 08:23:32 PM »

That creeps me out, since I just got into a new college and a major that I love! :(
You're in what, your first year in college?  And a full-time, traditional student at that?  You're likely graduating in 3 1/2 years.  You should hope to see the economy recover by then.
Not all who wander are lost.

Offline Myrrh23

• OC.net guru
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2009, 10:45:33 PM »

You're in what, your first year in college?  And a full-time, traditional student at that?  You're likely graduating in 3 1/2 years.  You should hope to see the economy recover by then.

I already have a useless degree in Anthropology, but this is my first year at ISU. :)
*I am no longer posting on OC.net*

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator

Offline username!

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2009, 11:50:27 PM »
Was at the grocery store near a Circuit City.  You should have seen the parking lot and the double line of really long traffic to get into the place.  Liquidation started today.

Offline EofK

• Mrs. Y
  • Protokentarchos
  • lolcat addict
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2009, 09:52:32 AM »
Circuit City was one of the few places where I could walk in, look at a piece of equipment, and reasonably expect to be treated like a knowledgeable person.  I really hope Best Buy and others make an effort at customer service.  So long, CC.
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams

Offline John of the North

• Protokentarchos
  • Christ is Risen!
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2009, 03:35:16 PM »
Circuit City was one of the few places where I could walk in, look at a piece of equipment, and reasonably expect to be treated like a knowledgeable person.  I really hope Best Buy and others make an effort at customer service.  So long, CC.

We try. Maybe our southern neighbours haven't picked up on it.
"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)

Offline Entscheidungsproblem

• Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
  • Protokentarchos
    • Amsterdam Declaration 2002
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2009, 03:40:04 PM »

Must be something out west.   :P
As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS

• Protokentarchos
  • Christ is Risen!
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2009, 03:44:57 PM »

Of course. Easterners are too snooty. :P
"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)

Offline EofK

• Mrs. Y
  • Protokentarchos
  • lolcat addict
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2009, 05:24:26 PM »

Of course. Easterners are too snooty. :P

LOL!  Well, I'll just come your way next time I need to buy big ticket stuff.  The barbarians down here seem to think I know nothing about computers and assume I want the pink model.   ::)
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams

Offline Marc1152

• Hoplitarches
  • Probiotic .. Antibiotic
  • Jurisdiction: Rocor
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2009, 11:05:43 PM »
I have a nice memory of Circut City when it first opened up. The saleswoman was very techie before there were too many people like that. I thought that she was impressive and professional. Too bad things have slid since then. 
Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm

Offline Alveus Lacuna

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2009, 01:35:15 AM »
The only thing I ever bought from a Circuit City was Silverchair's debut album in the 90's.  I was in Jr. High at the time.  Oh, the memories...

Offline prodromas

• OC.net guru
  • Greek Orthodox
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2009, 01:39:58 AM »
The only thing I ever bought from a Circuit City was Silverchair's debut album in the 90's.  I was in Jr. High at the time.  Oh, the memories...

I didn't even know silverchair was listen to outside of the Oz :D
The sins I don't commit are largely due to the weakness of my limbs.

1915-1923 Հայոց Ցեղասպանութիւն ,never again,
ܩܛܠܐ ܕܥܡܐ ܐܬܘܪܝܐ 1920-1914, never again,
השואה  1933-1945, never again,
(1914-1923) Ελληνική Γενοκτονία, never again

Offline Nyssa The Hobbit

• Used to be OrthodoxFairyQueen
  • Elder
    • Who is this Nyssa person, anyway?
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2009, 01:46:45 AM »

Oh, yes!  I have their first and second albums.  They got airplay in the US.  :)
Author of "Tojet" (fantasy) and "The Lighthouse" (Gothic), info available at my website URL.

Offline Órëlaurëa

• High Elder
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2009, 02:19:01 AM »
LOL!  Well, I'll just come your way next time I need to buy big ticket stuff.  The barbarians down here seem to think I know nothing about computers and assume I want the pink model.   ::)

Last year I helped my friend Sarah buy a new computer at Best Buy. Each salesperson in turn tried to sell her things she did not need. I politely counseled her to say no until my patience ran out. When asked for the 42nd time if she wouldn't like to pay for some useless extended warranty for software problems, I looked the guy straight in the eye and told him that I taught computer classes at the local hospital (I did at the time), and that if she experienced any problems that she'd be asking me for help. His mouth fell open, and he said "Oh. . ."  And that was the end of the sales pitch. ;)
Domine Iesu Christe, Fili Dei, miserere mei, peccatricis.

órë: noun \"heart"\ (inner mind),   laurëa: adjective \"golden, like gold"\ http://www.uib.no/People/hnohf/quenya.htm

• Protokentarchos
  • Christ is Risen!
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2009, 02:37:12 AM »

Last year I helped my friend Sarah buy a new computer at Best Buy. Each salesperson in turn tried to sell her things she did not need. I politely counseled her to say no until my patience ran out. When asked for the 42nd time if she wouldn't like to pay for some useless extended warranty for software problems, I looked the guy straight in the eye and told him that I taught computer classes at the local hospital (I did at the time), and that if she experienced any problems that she'd be asking me for help. His mouth fell open, and he said "Oh. . ."  And that was the end of the sales pitch. ;)

Extended warranty is not useless.

Offline stanley123

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2009, 04:24:22 AM »
Extended warranty is not useless.
But if the company issuing the warranty is bankrupt and out of business?

Offline Elisha

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2009, 04:33:52 AM »

I've heard of them too (I'm in NorCal)...they were popular in the state's for a time....