OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 30, 2014, 12:24:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sharing communion  (Read 1134 times) Average Rating: 0
Jonny

Faith: Inquirer
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

Presently in the Roman Catholic Communion

« on: January 15, 2009, 09:03:16 PM »

I'm sure this has already been covered. If so please point me in the right direction concerning the other threads!

What is the present state of communion between the two Orthodox Communions? Are EO allowed to receive in the OO Churches and vice versa? Do both sides recognise each other as being part of the true Church?

If this is likely to get polemical, which I don't think it needs to, could someone move it to the private board.

Thank you
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 09:40:31 PM »

This is discussed a little in these threads:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,14834.0.html

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,12531.html#top

John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 09:41:48 PM »

I'm sure this has already been covered. If so please point me in the right direction concerning the other threads!

What is the present state of communion between the two Orthodox Communions? Are EO allowed to receive in the OO Churches and vice versa? Do both sides recognise each other as being part of the true Church?

If this is likely to get polemical, which I don't think it needs to, could someone move it to the private board.

Thank you

There may be some communion on a local scale. It is handled on a case by case basis by the bishops. For example local Ethiopians may receive permission to commune with the Greeks if there are no local Ethiopian churches...

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 11:02:10 PM »

Officially there is unofficial communion.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 11:37:48 PM »

Yeah, that seems to be about how it works out.   Smiley

My only advice would be for people to talk to their own priest, as well as the priest of the church they are thinking of visiting, before considering communing in a different church.  Some churches and priests are more strict and conservative about these things than others. 

I myself will visit EO churches, but I don't commune in them, as I don't want to break any rules.  I find that to be the wisest approach.  I know others disagree.  With the exception of the agreement between the Syriac Church and the Antiochians, we are really still out of communion.  I think it is better to pray and wait for a formal reunification before communing with each other.  It somehow seems more respectful.

Robert W
Self-appointed forum herald
Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Finland

Love is no feeling

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 05:40:05 AM »

There may be some communion on a local scale. It is handled on a case by case basis by the bishops. For example local Ethiopians may receive permission to commune with the Greeks if there are no local Ethiopian churches...

This is also what happens in Finland. Ethiopians who come to Finland are very welcome in the Finnish Orthodox Church. They do receive communion and their children are baptised.

I think it is a positive thing that this way a parallel church is not set up Finland.
Tags: communion unity Oriental Orthodox 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: