OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 02:53:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wednesday and Friday fasts  (Read 2068 times) Average Rating: 0
Jonny

Faith: Inquirer
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

Presently in the Roman Catholic Communion

« on: January 13, 2009, 11:56:21 AM »

Why do we fast on Wednesdays and Fridays in particular. I understand that Friday is the day our Lord was put to death but why Wednesday?

Sorry for the mundane question but the only reason I can find with a google search is 'because our Lord told us to'. I just think there might be more to it than that!

Thanks,

Jonny
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 11:59:42 AM »

^Wednesdays and Fridays were chosen also because the Jews would fast on Tuesdays and Thursdays so this a way of proclaiming the new covenant.

Wednesdays are kept as fast days because this is the day we believe Christ was betrayed, thus setting into action the last days of our Lord's earthly life.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Jonny

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 12:03:07 PM »

When you say that it was the day that Jesus was betrayed do you mean it was the day that Judas gave the kiss in the garden because I'm sure that was Thursday?  Huh

scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 12:05:18 PM »

I'd have to look into it more closely, but I believe that it was on Wednesday when Judas went to the Sannhedrin and sold his soul for 30 pieces.  So, though it was not the actual betrayal that happened after the Last Supper, it set everything in motion.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 12:09:20 PM »

Because on Wednesday Judas decided to betray Our Lord.
Gospel from Mark 14, 1-11 (King James' Bible):
After two days was the feast of the passover, and of unleavened bread: and the chief priests and the scribes sought how they might take him by craft, and put him to death.
 But they said, Not on the feast day, lest there be an uproar of the people.

And being in Bethany in the house of Simon the leper, as he sat at meat, there came a woman having an alabaster box of ointment of spikenard very precious; and she brake the box, and poured it on his head.
And there were some that had indignation within themselves, and said, Why was this waste of the ointment made?
 For it might have been sold for more than three hundred pence, and have been given to the poor. And they murmured against her.
And Jesus said, Let her alone; why trouble ye her? she hath wrought a good work on me.
 For ye have the poor with you always, and whensoever ye will ye may do them good: but me ye have not always.
She hath done what she could: she is come aforehand to anoint my body to the burying.
 Verily I say unto you, Wheresoever this gospel shall be preached throughout the whole world, this also that she hath done shall be spoken of for a memorial of her.
And Judas Iscariot, one of the twelve, went unto the chief priests, to betray him unto them.
 And when they heard it, they were glad, and promised to give him money. And he sought how he might conveniently betray him.

The first day of Passover was Friday so it was Wednesday when this took place.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Icon and Cross (international space station)

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 03:31:35 PM »

Why do we fast on Wednesdays and Fridays in particular. I understand that Friday is the day our Lord was put to death but why Wednesday?

Sorry for the mundane question but the only reason I can find with a google search is 'because our Lord told us to'. I just think there might be more to it than that!

Thanks,

Jonny

The Didache explains it pretty well.

Wait let me try and find it. Out of all the links I have on my blog........I don't have one for this.  wait I'll find it for you.

JNORM888

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

http://ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com/
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Icon and Cross (international space station)

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 03:41:02 PM »

I don't like this translation.

http://ancienthistory.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/didache.html

"8:1 And let not your fastings be with the hypocrites, for they fast on the second and the fifth day of the week;
8:2 but do ye keep your fast on the fourth and on the preparation (the sixth) day."

wait, let me find another translation.

http://wesley.nnu.edu/biblical_studies/noncanon/fathers/ante-nic/didache.htm

8:1 And let not your fastings be with the hypocrites, for they fast on the second and the fifth day of the week;
8:2 but do ye keep your fast on the fourth and on the preparation (the sixth) day.

The Methodhists used the same translation.

Ok, I found an easier one to read.

http://earlychristianwritings.com/text/didache-lake.html

"CHAPTER 8
Fasting -- Prayers

1 Let not your fasts be with the hypocrites, for they fast on Mondays and Thursdays, but do you fast on Wednesdays and Fridays.

2 And do not pray as the hypocrites, but as the Lord commanded in his Gospel, pray thus: "Our Father, who art in Heaven, hallowed be thy Name, thy Kingdom come, thy will be done, as in Heaven so also upon earth; give us to-day our daily bread, and forgive us our debt as we forgive our debtors, and lead us not into trial, but deliver us from the Evil One, for thine is the power and the glory for ever." 3 Pray thus three times a day."

JNORM888
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 03:51:48 PM by jnorm888 » Logged

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

http://ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com/
Jonny

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 06:46:41 PM »

Thanks.

The Didache is a very useful source.
JoeS
(aka StMarkEofE)
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

Global Warming Enthusiast.

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2009, 09:46:22 AM »

^Wednesdays and Fridays were chosen also because the Jews would fast on Tuesdays and Thursdays so this a way of proclaiming the new covenant.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 09:49:05 AM by JoeS » Logged
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2009, 12:33:13 PM »

Wednesdays are kept as fast days because this is the day we believe Christ was betrayed, thus setting into action the last days of our Lord's earthly life.

I was pretty sure that Jews fasted on Mondays and Thursdays...?  I was always under the impression that the fast was for Wednesdays and Fridays because of the Betrayal of Judas on Wednesday and the Lord's crucifixion on Friday.  These are also commemorated on Great and Holy Wednesday and Friday, so maybe this year you can pay attention to it and try to make some correlations...?

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Tags: fasting Didache 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: