OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 25, 2014, 05:28:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: from c38 to ozgeorge  (Read 1885 times) Average Rating: 0
c38

Faith: Yes
Jurisdiction: Christ

« on: January 10, 2009, 10:51:57 AM »

"An addiction. A poor substitute for God. The reason we call people heretics."

Hi ozgeorge

The above quote was a response to the question of, "what is dogma?" And it was provided in all good conscience and anyone can correct or critique it as they see necessary.

I agree that the original question was a very simple one, and deserving of a straight forward reply. I am also aware of the responsibility of providing sound instruction to those seeking Christ. It is appropriate in my opinion to forewarn of the very real bigotry lurking in the unreflective use of dogmatic systems - whether political, social, or religious in content - and advise steering clear of these errors. I’m sure you will agree that addressing Protestant and Catholic brethren as "heretics" or in disdainful language does not set an appropriate example or role model.

There is a necessary relationship that exists between the original Deposit of Faith and dogmatic descriptions thereof. There is also a Truth Dragon to tease out of its cave. I’m confident that within a few years hurtful terms like “heretic” will not be thrown around so carelessly, and will be tolerated as words like “nigger”. 
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 10:59:34 AM by c38 » Logged
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 11:04:40 AM »

from c38 to ozgeorge
Uh huh.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2009, 12:41:53 PM »

I’m sure you will agree that addressing Protestant and Catholic brethren as "heretics" or in disdainful language does not set an appropriate example or role model...I’m confident that within a few years hurtful terms like “heretic” will not be thrown around so carelessly, and will be tolerated as words like “nigger”.

You should realize that you're freely and openly admitting that there is no real standard to measure the truth revealed by Christ.  Heresy, heretic, and the like are properly descriptive terms.  They don't have to be pejorative or assume disdain for others.  If there is no heresy, there is no Orthodoxy.  You might as well pack your bags now.  Spend a few years in various Protestant movements, then transition to agnosticism.

Love the heretic, hate the heresy.
c38

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2009, 01:33:05 PM »

Love the heretic, hate the heresy.

Principle noted; so how do we put such noble ideas into orthodox practice? I'm still trying to get my head around this whole issue. Once a genuine problem is identified you can bet it’s not going to be refuted away.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 01:34:33 PM by c38 » Logged
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2009, 08:15:41 PM »

I am also aware of the responsibility of providing sound instruction to those seeking Christ.
Let me guess.  YOU are the one who's going to provide this instruction. Undecided

It is appropriate in my opinion to forewarn of the very real bigotry lurking in the unreflective use of dogmatic systems - whether political, social, or religious in content - and advise steering clear of these errors.
Is there an absolute standard of what qualifies as bigotry?

I’m sure you will agree that addressing Protestant and Catholic brethren as "heretics" or in disdainful language does not set an appropriate example or role model.
Or does it just offend you so that you feel it necessary to make your emotional response the absolute standard of proper behavior?

There is a necessary relationship that exists between the original Deposit of Faith and dogmatic descriptions thereof.
Yes, there is, but your reply to the OP of another thread (the replies to which inspired your appeal in THIS thread) would indicate otherwise, that you see "dogma" as being just as nasty and divisive a word as "nigger".
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2009, 08:42:12 PM »

Uh huh.

Asteriktos
Protostrator

Faith: Like an arrow to the knee

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2009, 08:57:17 PM »

Uh huh.

Half of that is what I was thinking when I read the thread... huh?
c38

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2009, 09:07:27 PM »

angel

When ever you're ready to talk...
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2009, 09:11:17 PM »

Uh huh.

Half of that is what I was thinking when I read the thread... huh?

Uh huh.

antiderivative
Elder

Faith: Northeastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: A jurisdiction

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2009, 09:30:51 PM »

Heresy simply means "choice." Christianity is not a philosophy where we can pick and choose our dogma. It should never change, it should always remain the same. Changing theology implies everything before that change was wrong. This is why we have creeds, so the Church can prevent change. The Church has always had creeds since the beginning, hence to change those creeds is to say the Church has always been wrong until the change.

signature
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: