OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 21, 2014, 06:28:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lives of the Saints... best book for Catechumans.  (Read 824 times) Average Rating: 0
ignatius
Baptacathadox
OC.net guru

Faith: Roman Catholic > Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

My Son Aidan... :-)

« on: January 09, 2009, 09:35:58 PM »

I would like to reflect more deeply on the Lives of the Orthodox Saints, especially those from the West. Does anyone have a suggestion for a good Synaxarion.

St Basil the Great (330-379 A.D.): “I think then that the one goal of all who are really and truly serving the Lord ought to be to bring back to union the churches who have at different times and in diverse manners divided from one another.”
Thomas
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 01:14:47 PM »

One that I usually assign to my catechumen class members is Christ in His Saints by Patrick Henry Reardon.
It is a good historical accounting using the lives of almost one hundred and fifty saints and heroes from the Scriptures - everyone from Abigail to Zephaniah, Adam to St. John the Theologian. This well-researched work is a veritable cornucopia of Bible personalities: Old Testament Saints, New Testament Saints, "Repentant Saints," "Zealous Saints," "Saints under pressure". However it does not answer your questions about Western Orthodox Saints for that I suggest the following  books:

a. The Saints of Anglo-Saxon England - Volume 1 (9th-11th centuries) by Vladimir Moss
The first is a series of lives of Orthodox martyrs and strugglers from England from the centuries just prior to the Norman Conquest, who are largely unknown to us. Describes 19 saints from 779 to 934.

b.The Saints of Anglo-Saxon England - Volume 2 (9th-11th Centuries)by Vladimir Moss
The second in a series of lives of Orthodox martyrs and strugglers from the land of England from the centuries just prior to the Norman Conquest. This volume contains the lives of seven 10th century saints, including St. Dustan and St. Edward.

Otherwise, you may need to get a Catholic Saints Volume and read only those Saints who were  glorified prior to the Schism.

Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Tags: Convert Books 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: