OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 04:40:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Indian Churches  (Read 1686 times) Average Rating: 0
AMM
Archon

Jurisdiction: ACROD

« on: January 08, 2009, 01:41:42 PM »

I know I could probably look this all up, but could somebody post a quick summary of what the various groups are in India and what their representations are in the U.S.

Thanks.
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 08:39:23 PM »

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,5503.0.html

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,16237.0.html

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,5379.0.html

If you click on the Indian Orthodox tag below, you'll find other threads with information.

dhinuus
Elder

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 11:42:20 PM »

Indian Christians can be broadly classified into two:
A) Indian Christians under the St.Thomas tradition
B) Indian Christians evagelized in modern times by Western Missionaries

All 'St.Thomas Christians' dont share the same faith. They fall into five broad categories:

1) Oriental Orthodox Communion:
a) Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church (autocephelous and under the Catholicate of the East, since 1912)
b) Malankara Syriac Orthodox Church (also known as the Jacobite Churhc; autonomous under the Catholicose / Maphrian, but under the spiritual authority of Patriarch of Antioch of the Syriac Orthodox Church)

2) Chaldean Church (also known as the Nestorian Church)

3) Roman Catholic Communion:
a) Syro Malabar Church (this is an Eastern rite Catholic church, that officially joined RC in 1599 as per the Synod of Diamper. They continued to be administered by European Catholic Bishops for a long time. This Eastern rite and local hieararchy was only established in 1923. In 1992 this Eastern rite was raised as a Major Archiepiscopal see)
b) Syro Malankara Church (this is an Eastern rite was established in 1932, when Mar Ivanious a Bishop of the Malanakara Orthodox Church left the church and joined Rome. In 2005 this Eastern rite was raised as a Major Archiepiscopal see. The Major Archbishop of this rite started using the title Catholicose)

Of these two Eastern rites, a uses the vestements and traditions of the Chaldean chuch and b uses the vestements and traditions of the Malankara Syriac Orthodox church.

4) Anglican Communion:
 a) Marthoma Syrian Church: (under the influence of British missionaries, a Bishop of the Malankara Syriac Orthodox Church started teaching the Protestant reformed theology in the 1860s. This bishop was excommunicated from the Orthodox church. The Marthoma Syrian Church uses the vetements and 'reformed' liturgy omitting interecessions of saints of the Orthodox Church.

5) Independent Oriental Orthodox
a) Malabar Independent Syrian Church of Thozhiyur : (In 1771 a schism occured between two Bishops of the Malankara Syriac Orthodox Church. This schims led to the creation of this church. However this church remained in communion with the Malankara Orthodox Church till 1870s. During that time this church started more closely aligning with the reformed 'Marthoma Church'. However this church has not yet formally accepted the reformed teachings.

Now the 'Indian Christians evagelized in modern times by Western Missionaries' B. The two most important churches in this category are:
1) Latin Catholics
- evangelized by the Portughese Catholic missionaries.. starting from the 1500s

2) Anglicans - evangelized by the British starting from the 1800s
a) CSI - Church of South India
b) CNI - Church of North India
These two churches form the 'Anglican Church of India'.

3) All sort of Pentacostal groups, Jehovaw Witness, Mormons etc (american missonaries starting in the 1900s)

« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 11:42:41 PM by dhinuus » Logged

NULL
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 01:45:28 PM »

There is also one EO Greek parisch in Calcuta.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 01:46:11 PM »

There is also one Greek parish in Calcutta. Oh, there are more of them LOOK
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 01:48:24 PM by mike » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
CCTE

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Romanian Patriarchate

Patriarch Daniel

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2009, 11:01:51 AM »

There is also one Greek parish in Calcutta. Oh, there are more of them LOOK

http://www.omhksea.net/default.aspx?pg=c7b764f8-c404-40d8-a480-8286414f5e8a

Sorry if my English is not perfect
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2009, 12:38:32 PM »

WOW! Great! Thanks CCTE

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2009, 01:02:45 PM »

The first missionary to India was Apostle Thomas, who preached the Gospel of Christ in South India, performed miracles, and finally martyred for His Lord in Moulapore, an ancient city near Madras.  To our day, these areas are dominated by a vibrant Christian element, even though the local church has cut itself off from the Orthodox Patriarchates and is broken up to different denominations.

Well, I hope they're not converting the Oriental Orthodox, especially since the Alexandrian Greek understand the closeness of dialogue between our churches.

Dhinuus, thank you.  If there was a post of the month for useful information, you would have my vote.  I remember when I did some research on the many different Indian groups, I was so confused.  The Malabar Independent Church (Independent OO) makes sense to me now.

God bless.

PS I did not know Calcutta people also speak Bengali.  I originally thought Bengali was only something people of Bangladesh spoke.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 01:04:37 PM by minasoliman » Logged

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2009, 01:58:12 PM »

What are the differences between Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church and Malankara Syriac Orthodox Church? Are there some like differences between GOARCH and OCA or something more?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
dhinuus
Elder

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2009, 03:34:22 PM »

What are the differences between Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church and Malankara Syriac Orthodox Church? Are there some like differences between GOARCH and OCA or something more?

These two churches are part of the Oriental Orthodox Communion, but are not in communion with each other.

A schism started in the Malankara Church in 1912, when part of the church declared autocephaly by establishing a "Catholicate of the East" this faction  is called the 'Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church' (also know as 'Catholicate faction' or the Indian Orthodox Church), the other part continued to stay under the "Patriarch of Antioch and All the East" and this faction is called the Malankara Syriac Orthodox Church (also knows as the 'Patriarch faction', or the Jacobite Church). The Jacobite church also has a Catholicose in India, but is not autocephous.

Ever since 1912, numerous court cases are going on in India between the two factions to get control of the various old churches and monasteries. It is a really sad story.

NULL
dhinuus
Elder

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2009, 03:39:33 PM »

PS I did not know Calcutta people also speak Bengali.  I originally thought Bengali was only something people of Bangladesh spoke.

Bengal was a united province in India and Bengali was spoken through out. The Western part of Bengal is pre-dominatly hindu while the eastern part of Bengal is pre-dominantly muslim. When the British rule of India ended in 1947, Greater India was partitioned into India and Pakistan, with India remaining a secular country and Pakistan becoming an Islamic nation. the province of Bengal was divided into two, West Bengal which became a state under the Indian Union and East Bengal which became a province of Pakistan.

However the people of East Bengal became alienated from the rest of Pakistan and declared independence from Pakistan forming the country of 'Bangladesh' in 1971.

Dhinuus, thank you.  If there was a post of the month for useful information, you would have my vote.

Thank you for your very genorous comments. I am humbled.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 03:42:05 PM by dhinuus » Logged

NULL
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2009, 04:45:28 PM »

Oh, really sad. I used to think that they're in communion but their traditions are different, just like Russian Orthodox and Greek Orthodox.

So Catholicate fraction is in communion with any other autocephalous OO Churches (including Jacobite Church) but isn't in communion with autonomous Jacobite Indian Church. Something like EOs in Estonia or Palestinian Vicariate in the USA?

@Salpy You may delete my doubled post. I don't want to increase my forum ranking without need.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 04:52:43 PM by mike » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Tags: Indian Orthodox 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: