OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 31, 2014, 10:11:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Byzantine/Majority text  (Read 2165 times) Average Rating: 0
Cleopas
Bible Thumping, Tongue Talking, Faith Walking Christian
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Charismatic Evangelical

If I'm my own Pope then I claim infalliablity. Ha!

perfecthart
« on: January 08, 2009, 07:37:05 AM »

I have recently been discussing and disputing with a KJV-Onlyist. No, I am not trying to start that discussion here. However, in that discussion I relayed my belief that the Textus receptus was indicative of the proper textual family for the preserved word of God. Now, I'm not saying the Textus receptus itself accurately or adequatley relays such -- but I will say that English translations based on it are more accurate that those based on the Alexandrian text (IMO). Why? because the TR is based on the Majority Text, which is drawn from the Byzantine textual family.

That said, I am curious, is there an modern English translation of the Byzantine, especially the Majority Text, available today?
Why do I ask here? Who better to ask about the Byzantinian text than the Greek Orthodox!  Grin

Cleopas
Christopher Hart

"Every one, though born of God in an instant, yet undoubtedly grows by slow degrees” -- John Wesley
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 07:48:44 AM »

I have recently been discussing and disputing with a KJV-Onlyist. No, I am not trying to start that discussion here. However, in that discussion I relayed my belief that the Textus receptus was indicative of the proper textual family for the preserved word of God. Now, I'm not saying the Textus receptus itself accurately or adequatley relays such -- but I will say that English translations based on it are more accurate that those based on the Alexandrian text (IMO). Why? because the TR is based on the Majority Text, which is drawn from the Byzantine textual family.

That said, I am curious, is there an modern English translation of the Byzantine, especially the Majority Text, available today?
Why do I ask here? Who better to ask about the Byzantinian text than the Greek Orthodox!  Grin

They usually read it in Greek, and thus have no need of translation.

The Orthdoox Study Bible is based on the Majority Text, the Septuagint that is, but I don't think that is what you are asking.  The New English Translation of the Septuagint, the same.

The Eastern/Greek Orthodox Bible (EOB) is based on the Patriarchal Text of 1904, which is the Textus Receptus of the Greeks.
http://www.orthodox-church.info/eob/
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 07:56:08 AM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Cleopas
Bible Thumping, Tongue Talking, Faith Walking Christian
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Charismatic Evangelical

If I'm my own Pope then I claim infalliablity. Ha!

perfecthart
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 08:06:09 AM »

Thanks.

However, you are correct in that I am asking for more. I am looking for a full OT and NT translation, especially a NT one, based on this text.
All of the modern (English) versions have gone with the Alexandrian text.

Cleopas
Christopher Hart

"Every one, though born of God in an instant, yet undoubtedly grows by slow degrees” -- John Wesley
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: