OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 21, 2014, 03:33:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recommended Service Books  (Read 1353 times) Average Rating: 0
Hank

« on: January 05, 2009, 06:15:55 PM »

Does anyone have a recommendation on the OCA Service books that I should buy for my library?

Hank
Asteriktos
Pegleg J
Protostrator

Faith: Like an arrow to the knee

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 11:01:08 AM »

Did you want something general, or were you asking about something specific. For general advice, there is always this webpage. I'm not sure about specific OCA books, though.

I'll bet I look like a goof.

"And since when have Christians become afraid of rain?"
Hank

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 03:04:12 PM »

Well, I am not sure what I am looking for, exactly. Something, I suppose, I can follow so as not to get lost while going through Divine Liturgy.

Hank
Jonny

Faith: Inquirer
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

Presently in the Roman Catholic Communion

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 07:51:16 PM »

Assuming the Liturgy is St. Johns then I would simply perchase a small pamphlet like book with the words of the service in it. You can find one on Amazon.

I've just attended my 6th Liturgy today and to be honest even though I've got the book I tend not to use it. Its easier and you get a feel for the liturgy faster if you simply let it wash over you and pick it up as you go along. For something like Vespers of Mattins I found it useful to read a brief overview of the structure before going but then again it is easier to experience rather than read. Simply pray your own private prayers, listen to the words of the chants and prayers from the choir and priest and let them speak to you. Other than that keep half an eye on the congregation, their actions will usually betray whats happening even if your not to sure yourself.
Hank

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 01:33:19 PM »

Thank you.

Hank
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2009, 01:46:30 PM »

Specifically what service books?  Are you just looking have a book to follow Liturgy with or Vespers with?
If so that can had for under ten dollars. 

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: