OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 21, 2014, 10:20:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Having trouble w/ prayer life and others...  (Read 970 times) Average Rating: 0
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« on: January 04, 2009, 07:32:30 PM »

Ever since a couple weeks before we all left for Winter Break in college, I had been having problems getting a solid prayer life going. I also began having a lot of trouble again reading the Bible and  other things. The only faith-related thing i've been able to do since leaving for Winter Break is listening to AFR podcasts.

I still attended Church before Winter Break when I was down at college, but now that I'm back at my other home, the nearest Orthodox Church is over 30 minutes away.

I'm not questioning my faith at all. But ever since I can remember, I've been having trouble getting a prayer life going, even when I was still a Protestant.

I have my OSB and other Bibles, and i even have my prayer books, but I just can't seem to get one going. Does anyone have any advice?
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 08:00:28 PM »

Do you have a structured rule of prayer, particularly as regards a specific daily schedule?  You've probably found that while you were in school you had a structure established for you by your daily class schedule.  Returning home for winter break, the structure of your schedule inevitably broke down, leaving you to flounder in the sea of idleness.  I've found this to be very true in my life, as well.  I need structure, and if this structure is not set for me externally, I need to establish it for myself--something I'm often quite bad at.  Is there some constructive activity you can build into the days of your break so that you have something around which to build the structure of your day, and with that your rule of prayer?
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 08:01:23 PM »

Force yourself.  Seriously.  Get in the habit of praying, where you feel like it our not.  Eventually it won't be forced.
Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 08:05:33 PM »

I have found solace in the Hour Prayers from the goarch.org website (1st, third, sixth, and ninth). Before, I had a lot more anxiety and depression than I do now, but when I forced myself for a week to pay attention to these special hours and formalize my own prayer patterns off of them, they became second nature. Elisha speaks wisely! Smiley
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 08:07:00 PM by Myrrh23 » Logged

*I am no longer posting on OC.net*

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator
Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 10:00:18 AM »

I can relate because I, too, have this problem every now and then. Yet, I noticed, indeed, that if you establish a prayer rule and push or force yourself to keep it, at least to try to keep it - it then becomes much better. About a year ago, at this time I had such a turmoil in my soul that I stopped praying altogether. This year, it did not happen.

My personal prayer rule is this: full morning prayer according to the prayer book (all the canonical prayers like Heavenly King, Trisagion, Our Father and others, including prayers to the Guardian Angel and the Theotokos, and the supplications for the Church, for my spiritual Father, for our civil authorities, for the travelers, for those whom I misguided, for the heretics etc.); one very short prayer in front of the little icon of the Theotokos when I am starting my day at work; and one rather short prayer in the evening before going to bed (Heavenly King+Trisagion+Our Father, and mental rememberance of my family members). That's usually all. During lengthy calendar fasts, I also say the prayer of St. Ephraim the Syrian with prostrations in the morning and (not always) in the evening.

I know that this prayer rule is very brief and lax, but for now, I believe, it's realistic for me to try to keep at least this short and lax rule.

Love never fails.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 11:05:04 AM »

Fwiw, when I get into a rut/dry time, I try to say some prayers any time I get the idea into my head and have a free moment. Often I'll say the hours, for example, in between surfing the internet or playing guitar. You don't have to say prayers at the "appointed time," especially if you're having problems saying them at a normal set time. For example, if you're reading this then you're thinking about prayer, so go do some right now. Even if it's just an Our Father or the Jesus Prayer a few times or something, as much as you can handle to do. Even if it's just bowing your head and saying "I wish I could pray more!"
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 11:05:59 AM by Asteriktos » Logged

Large Marge sent me...
Tags: accidie prayer discipline 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: