Author Topic: Daily readings  (Read 1371 times)

Offline searn77

• St. Philaret (Voznesensky) of New York
Daily readings
« on: January 03, 2009, 12:12:07 AM »
I thought that all of the daily readings for Orthodox were the same but when I went onto oca.org and goarch.org , they both have sometimes very different readings. I was just wondering why they would have different readings? And also, there are more frequently 3 readings on oca.org and this is also less frequent on goarch.org. I was just wondering why? And also, why do Orthodox mostly only read from the New Testament and not as much from the Old? This is one thing that I like about Roman Catholicism is that in Roman Catholicism, you read just about the entire Catholic bible in 3 years because you get readings from the Old and New Testaments daily.

BTW, I have been trying to find out what Christian denomination to pick (it's been between Roman Catholicism, Byzantine Catholicism, and Orthodoxy) but now after reading some articles that explain what the early church fathers really think about Peter being the rock, I think I want to become Orthodox. The only thing that really kept me previously wanting to become Catholic is because I read Matthew 16:18 and read Catholic apologists websites that had quotes from the early church fathers that seemed to be for papal authority (I recently now see that they were taken out of context) and I was scared to not pick Catholicism. But luckily I have recently found another article that explained how the early church fathers weren't actually for papal authority, and that the early church never actually taught papal authority but rather a "first among equals" type thing. And I'm pretty sure that I now see that the Orthodox faith is the actual, original, and un-changed Christian faith. And along with some other research and praying, I'm pretty sure I want to be Orthodox. I have always felt closer to the Eastern beliefs and love the St. John Chrysostom revised liturgy but still, if you don't mind and you have an extra minute, pray for me that I will go to the right church because I have been struggling with this topic for a while now (although I'm now pretty sure that it's Orthodoxy). Thanks
Let us the faithful now come together to praise our father, protector and teacher the pillar of the Orthodox faith and firm defender of piety even the wondrous hierarch Philaret and let us glorify our Saviour Who has granted us his incorrupt relics as a manifest sign of his sanctity.

Offline Salpy

• Toumarches
  • Holy Martyrs of the Armenian Genocide pray for us!
Re: Daily readings
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 01:32:25 AM »
Welcome to the forum!

Offline John of the North

• Protokentarchos
  • Christ is Risen!
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 01:40:10 AM »
I thought that all of the daily readings for Orthodox were the same but when I went onto oca.org and goarch.org , they both have sometimes very different readings. I was just wondering why they would have different readings? And also, there are more frequently 3 readings on oca.org and this is also less frequent on goarch.org. I was just wondering why? And also, why do Orthodox mostly only read from the New Testament and not as much from the Old? This is one thing that I like about Roman Catholicism is that in Roman Catholicism, you read just about the entire Catholic bible in 3 years because you get readings from the Old and New Testaments daily.

BTW, I have been trying to find out what Christian denomination to pick (it's been between Roman Catholicism, Byzantine Catholicism, and Orthodoxy) but now after reading some articles that explain what the early church fathers really think about Peter being the rock, I think I want to become Orthodox. The only thing that really kept me previously wanting to become Catholic is because I read Matthew 16:18 and read Catholic apologists websites that had quotes from the early church fathers that seemed to be for papal authority (I recently now see that they were taken out of context) and I was scared to not pick Catholicism. But luckily I have recently found another article that explained how the early church fathers weren't actually for papal authority, and that the early church never actually taught papal authority but rather a "first among equals" type thing. And I'm pretty sure that I now see that the Orthodox faith is the actual, original, and un-changed Christian faith. And along with some other research and praying, I'm pretty sure I want to be Orthodox. I have always felt closer to the Eastern beliefs and love the St. John Chrysostom revised liturgy but still, if you don't mind and you have an extra minute, pray for me that I will go to the right church because I have been struggling with this topic for a while now (although I'm now pretty sure that it's Orthodoxy). Thanks

Well first off, we are not a denomination, but the Church of Christ.

In terms of the lectionary, the OCA will follow the Slavic style whereas the Greeks will follow the Byzantine.

Typically the Old Testament is important insofar as it foreshadows the Messiah.
“Find the door of your heart, and you will discover it is the door to the kingdom of God.” - St. John Chrysostom

Offline searn77

• St. Philaret (Voznesensky) of New York
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 08:02:57 PM »
Just wondering, what website would be best for the Antiochian daily readings, "oca.org", "goarch.org", or some other website? I can't seem to find one on the Antiochian website and the two websites I listed are the best daily lectionaries that I can find because of their ease-of-use.
Let us the faithful now come together to praise our father, protector and teacher the pillar of the Orthodox faith and firm defender of piety even the wondrous hierarch Philaret and let us glorify our Saviour Who has granted us his incorrupt relics as a manifest sign of his sanctity.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 08:19:38 PM »
I'm guessing that you're attending an Antiochian parish, since you ask about their readings? If so, you might be able to get a calendar from the priest for this year, which generally will have the readings printed on it for each day. Past that, I'm not sure what to tell you as far as the Antiochians go, and as far as other websites I think whatever you think will work best for you would be best (ie. I don't have a particular preference that I'd endorse). I'm not sure why there are different readings, I hadn't been aware of that. I guess it's just one of those areas where there is diversity of practice. I do wonder if there are also differences in the readings on Sundays and Feast days as well... does anyone know? Just curious. My wife and I will be praying for you, we wish you well on your spiritual journey, and sorry that I'm not able to contribute more to the thread, I don't know much about the readings as I tend to stick to my own Bible reading routine (to get through the Bible each year).
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 08:20:40 PM by Asteriktos »