OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 04:22:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rome And The Orthodox Council of 879  (Read 870 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« on: December 30, 2008, 11:17:42 PM »

In a book that I'm reading I came across the following quote:

"Today the position of Photius in history is regarded as a hopeful phenomenon: Roman Catholic scholars tend to soften the enmity against him and to raise the possibility of recognizing the Photian Council as Ecumenical. Lacking such recognition, there would seem to be little hope of restoring unity between the seperated Churches of East and West. The case of Photius still awaits the objective judgment of Rome regarding the Ecumenicity of the Council of 879-80, wisely approved by Pope John VIII." - Compiled by Vrame and Dixon, Essays on Ecumenism, (InterOrthodox Press, 2003), pp. 72-73

A couple questions. Is Rome seriously considering accepting the Council of 879 as Ecumenical, or even accepting it as a valid Local council? And what would such an acceptance mean for the anti-Photian Council of 869?

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 11:22:29 PM »

In a book that I'm reading I came across the following quote:

"Today the position of Photius in history is regarded as a hopeful phenomenon: Roman Catholic scholars tend to soften the enmity against him and to raise the possibility of recognizing the Photian Council as Ecumenical. Lacking such recognition, there would seem to be little hope of restoring unity between the seperated Churches of East and West. The case of Photius still awaits the objective judgment of Rome regarding the Ecumenicity of the Council of 879-80, wisely approved by Pope John VIII." - Compiled by Vrame and Dixon, Essays on Ecumenism, (InterOrthodox Press, 2003), pp. 72-73

A couple questions. Is Rome seriously considering accepting the Council of 879 as Ecumenical, or even accepting it as a valid Local council? And what would such an acceptance mean for the anti-Photian Council of 869?

Same thing it meant in 879.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 11:46:15 PM »

Somehow I doubt the Roman Catholics would agree...   perhaps I can expand on my question, though. Would the Council of 869 still be considered Ecumenical if they also accepted the Council of 879, especially if they accepted the latter as Ecumenical?

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
AMM
Archon

Jurisdiction: ACROD

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 01:20:35 AM »

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=22:which-councils-are-ecumenical&catid=14:articles&Itemid=2
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2008, 01:42:08 AM »

I've read the article before, but thanks. Did you have a particular passage in mind? Smiley

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: