OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 20, 2014, 07:03:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Fast-Free Days"?  (Read 1019 times) Average Rating: 0
Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« on: December 29, 2008, 08:41:56 AM »

Hey! Smiley

I read on the goarch.org website Calendar that this Wednesday is a "Fast Free" day. Does that also imply that there is no regular "Wednesdays and Fridays Rule" fasting for that day? Thank you! Smiley

*I am no longer posting on OC.net*

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 09:27:32 AM »

Yes it does. Period which starts since Nativity to the day before Theophany is fast-free (Theophany Eve is first fasting day).  Week after Pascha and week after Pentecost are too. And week beetween Meatfare Sunday to Cheesefare Sunday is also (You should not eat meat but diary products, entertaining yourself and behaving in not-fast-way are OK)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 09:29:20 AM by mike » Logged
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 01:23:03 PM »

Hey! Smiley

I read on the goarch.org website Calendar that this Wednesday is a "Fast Free" day. Does that also imply that there is no regular "Wednesdays and Fridays Rule" fasting for that day? Thank you! Smiley

Indeed.  As Mike pointed out, there are periods of time during the Church year when we rid ourselves of the fast; most times, it is an act of celebration and joy; a few times, it is an act of preparation for an intense period of Fasting (specifically, Great Lent).  Of course, this covers not only food restrictions, but also those restrictions that we place upon our behavior during the Lenten period (e.g. no parties/dances/etc.).

The Days when fasting is not practiced: Dec 25-Jan 4, Jan 6; The 1st week of the Triodion period (i.e. the week after the Sunday of the Publican and the Pharisee); the week following Pascha (for the Antiochian Archdiocese, this fast is extended the full 40 days after Pascha); and the week following Pentecost.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 01:39:20 PM »

so....no YouTube movies for Lent? Sad

*I am no longer posting on OC.net*

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 01:55:21 PM »

so....no YouTube movies for Lent? Sad

That's between you and your spiritual father.  If you're addicted to movies but don't pray much, then I could see a personal discipline of, say, only 1 movie per week (maybe on Saturday), and your daily/frequent movie times being replaced with prayer time during Lent.  If you've got an awful temper, then the discipline of forgiveness and calmness could be added.  The goal in Lent is to (a) train body and soul, (b) exert our influence over the most base and animal parts of our nature, (c) grow closer to Christ and His Way, AND (d) become better human beings, through (a), (b), and (c).

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Tags: fasting 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: