OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 06:10:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Titus 1:5  (Read 642 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« on: December 28, 2008, 08:12:12 PM »

"For this cause left I thee in Crete, that thou shouldest set in order the things that are wanting, and ordain elders in every city, as I had appointed thee..." - Titus 1:5

Raymond brown uses this passage to justify the idea that there were communities without priests/bishops during the late 1st century:

"Some of the Pauline communities are deficient in that they do not have local authorities, but now that deficiency must be remedied and presbyter-bishops are to be appointed in every town (Titus 1:5,7). The authoritative guidance of these men will preserve the local church communities against disintegration...

That the picture has been oversimplified is indicated by Titus 1:5 where it is clear that there are towns of the Pauline mission without presbyters." - Raymond E. Brown, The Church the Apostles Left Behind, (Pauline Press, 1984), pp. 32-33

I must say that I had never taken this passage in that sense. I just saw it as a general command to ordain priests (elders) for the cities whenever that was necessary. Now that I look at it again, though, I can see where Brown is coming from. What do you think about this passage?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 08:19:48 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 11:44:18 PM »

"For this cause left I thee in Crete, that thou shouldest set in order the things that are wanting, and ordain elders in every city, as I had appointed thee..." - Titus 1:5

Raymond brown uses this passage to justify the idea that there were communities without priests/bishops during the late 1st century:

"Some of the Pauline communities are deficient in that they do not have local authorities, but now that deficiency must be remedied and presbyter-bishops are to be appointed in every town (Titus 1:5,7). The authoritative guidance of these men will preserve the local church communities against disintegration...

That the picture has been oversimplified is indicated by Titus 1:5 where it is clear that there are towns of the Pauline mission without presbyters." - Raymond E. Brown, The Church the Apostles Left Behind, (Pauline Press, 1984), pp. 32-33

I must say that I had never taken this passage in that sense. I just saw it as a general command to ordain priests (elders) for the cities whenever that was necessary. Now that I look at it again, though, I can see where Brown is coming from. What do you think about this passage?

Perhaps, but that's probably because of tumultuous times, just as immersion for baptism is necessary as much as possible, although some exceptions like sprinkling are accepted due to dire circumstances.  As much as possible, sacramentally, a priest and bishop were necessary.  Ignatius of Antioch gives us an wondrous view of the liturgical importance of the deacons, priests, and bishops.  Whatever Ignatius taught, I'm sure he inherited from Paul and Peter.

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 02:20:09 AM »

It does not follow that there were churches without elders.  That there were towns where St. Paul made a couple of converts, not enough for a whole congregation, is logical enough.  That he left St. Titus to remedy the situation as the numbers grew into local congregations is also logical enough.

One thing to recall that presbyter was in part the chorbishops, as the bishop of the city was the parish presbyter, and as the numbers grew in the surrounding towns, presbyter/chorbishops were sent out.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Tags: priesthood Ordination bishops priests Pauline epistles Titus 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: