OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 21, 2014, 06:09:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My Life in Christ project--NEED YOUR HELP  (Read 3056 times) Average Rating: 0
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« on: September 20, 2003, 12:55:59 PM »

Friends,

Some months ago I announced that I was going to put "My Life in Christ" by St. John of Kronstadt online.  It is 500 pages and is going to take a very long time.  So I need YOUR help.

I am going to do all of the scanning for the book, but I need text help.  If you own the book, or can go to the library and get it via interlibrary loan (almost anyone in the US can do this) then please volunteer for some help (minimum chunks are 20 pages, which is about 2-4 hours of work depending on your speed).  You then send it to me in a Word file and I will do the rest.  As soon as we get some volunteers I will put together a list of who is going to do what, and some guidlines for publication.

If this work gets online

1) It will be of tremendous spiritual benefit

and

2) It will really increase traffic to our site

so please help out!

Thanks!

anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodo
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2003, 02:22:42 PM »

Zero responses so far.  We need your help!! ;-)

Please Buy My Book!

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodo
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2003, 05:38:22 PM »

Anastasios,

I would help but I'm pretty much a PC illiterate, barely get by with this chicken pecking a post and my PC is slower then molasses.

Will post more handicaps if needed. Where's my Sam Adams ?

james

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
moronikos

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: ...and they were first called Christians in Antioch

I'm trying to think, but nothing happens!

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2003, 12:49:48 AM »

Who has the copyright?  St. Vlad's?  I know the original would be in the public domain, but wouldn't the translation still be copyrighted?
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2003, 10:19:05 AM »

The translation was made in 1905 into English.  I have an original edition here.  So it is out of copyright.

Jordanville reprinted it and slapped a "Copyright 1994" sign on it--but that is invalid because they only reprinted something that had already run out of copyright.

For anyone else interested, someone asked for a more thorough explanation of what I want to do. Basically I am scanning the whole book in.  What I want to do is assign people 20 page chunks of rough text, that they can go through with the book in hand (which you can get through interlibrary loan for free, but I was also assuming that some people have the book), and correct the errors that happen when one scans in a text.  Then they send it back to me and I fix it up the rest of the way and viola we have it.

Anyone else with questions, please ask!

Sincerely,

anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

moronikos

Jurisdiction: ...and they were first called Christians in Antioch

I'm trying to think, but nothing happens!

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2003, 11:43:35 AM »

I'll check my parish library and see if we have a copy.  If we do, you can count on me.
Kyrie Eleison
I Am A Russo-Serb!

Jurisdiction: Serbian Patriarchate

Gonna Be a Father - 12/21/07

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2003, 12:33:02 PM »

Anistasios,

As soon as I can get my hands on a copy I would be willing to help ya out. I have a text-2-speech program on my system so this might go a bit faster! :-) I will keep you updated.

Joseph Michael - (Kyrie Eleison)
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2003, 01:32:33 PM »

Thank you all.  I appreciate it so very much!

If this goes well, we will be forming an OCnet "Editorial Committee" where we can select good, classic texts (or ones where we can get permission) and put them on the site.  I envision in a year or so having a nice text library.

anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

prodromos
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2003, 02:13:03 AM »

Dustin,

we can't get the book, but it occured to me that if you have already been so kind as to scan the pages, you could write them to a CDR and mail them to us (US postal still has higher bandwidth than my fastest Internet access).
I figure if they are uncompressed monochrome tiffs they will easily fit on a CD, and if they are grey scale images, they might fit if they're in a compressed format.

If this is okay by you, let me know and I'll PM you my postal address.

In Christ,
John.
ania
Life according to Abe Simpson:
OC.net guru

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2003, 11:30:30 AM »

I would love to help, but... A.  I only have the Russian copy, B. I'm pretty much computer iliterate.  Good luck in your efforts though.

Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2003, 10:54:52 AM »

Slava Isusu Christu!

I'm going to try to get my hands on a copy of this later this week.  If so, I'd be more than glad to help!

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Strobert
Strobert

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2004, 11:18:34 PM »

I sent a private message to Anastasios volunteering to be part of this effort.  I never heard back from him.  I'm wondering if anyone who reads this knows anything about this project?  I'm thinking of attemping to get the book through ILL and perhaps start the process of scanning on my own.

St Rupert (Robert) of Salzburg, pray to God for us.
David
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2004, 11:42:19 PM »

Strobert,

Anastasios is on break from SVS and has not returned yet, which is why you haven't received anything.  I think he will be back sometime this week.  I'm pretty sure he would appreciate the offer for help.  

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2004, 11:07:08 PM »

Anastasios --

Am I correct in assuming you want the English version?

If so, I'll try to find it, and you can count me in; I'm a fairly fast typer and, since summer is coming up and I, as a teacher, will have more time on my hands, I'll be able to devote quite a bit to this, if need be.

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2004, 12:31:44 AM »

Anastasios --

Found something via Interlibrary Loan; is this the book you're looking for?

My life in Christ, or Moments of spiritual serenity and contemplation, of reverent feeling, of earnest self-amendment, and of peace in God ... Extracts from the diary of the Most Reverend John Iliytch Sergieff ("Father John")

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
David
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2004, 01:24:33 AM »

Bump,

I just bought the 1994 printing of My Life in Christ by Jordanville Press.  Give me a 20 page chunk and I can start pretty soon.

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
Strobert
Strobert

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2004, 09:35:48 AM »

Friends,

Has anything come of this project to digitalize "My Life in Christ"?  I ask, because I'm told our library now has a microfiche reader that will convert text to pdf files, from which one can obtain text.  And we do have a microfiche of 'My Life in Christ."

Strobert

St Rupert (Robert) of Salzburg, pray to God for us.
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2004, 09:49:48 AM »

anastasios in en route to North Carolina and probably won't be posting for a few days.

But, I can say that I know the project is still active on his part and any help would be most useful to him, especially if you could convert the text to PDF.

I am not sure as to specifics of pages or what not, but he should be back in a few days to let you know what  has/hasn't been done.

R
QuoVadis

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2005, 07:23:44 PM »

XPNCTOC BOCKPECE!!!

I would be glad to help!  "My Life In Christ" is one of my favourite books (apart from the Bible).  I have it in English.  The only problem is, I don't have a scanner.  But I would be glad to type pages in for you as I am a proficient typist (I am a secretary by trade and type VERY fast).  So let me know what you'd like me to do - and I'll take it from there!

Joy in the Resurrected Christ!
Katherine

"Without sorrows there is no salvation. On the other hand, the Kingdom of God awaits those who have patiently endured. And all the glory of the world is nothing in comparison." - St Seraphim of Sarov
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2005, 09:11:21 PM »

Seems it is online in image form now so I hadn't pursued it anymore.  But if people want it online in print form I would be willing to take the time.

Please Buy My Book!

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: