OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 20, 2014, 06:17:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can a Layperson Receive Communion Twice in One Day?  (Read 6285 times) Average Rating: 0
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« on: December 28, 2008, 01:00:41 AM »

I ask this question on behalf of a housemate who asked me.

I am aware that the Divine Liturgy can be celebrated only once on an altar between midnight and midnight of one day, and that a priest can (con)celebrate the Liturgy only once in the same span of time.  But can a layperson RECEIVE Holy Communion twice in one day (again defined as midnight to midnight)?  Citation of canons or rules from the Typikon are highly recommended to back up your assertions.

Personally, I don't think so, since the Divine Liturgy is the work of the entire assembly--bishop/priest and faithful--and not just the work of the clergy.  Thus, even the laity can and should in this sense be considered concelebrants and not just receivers of the Holy Mysteries.  But I don't know for certain how the canons/Typikon understand this, and I don't want to push forward my reasoning as authoritative.
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 01:15:13 AM »

No because by virtue of receiving the first time you haven't fasted.

Proverbs 22:7
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2008, 01:40:04 AM »

I am aware that the Divine Liturgy can be celebrated only once on an altar between midnight and midnight of one day, and that a priest can (con)celebrate the Liturgy only once in the same span of time.  But can a layperson RECEIVE Holy Communion twice in one day (again defined as midnight to midnight)?  Citation of canons or rules from the Typikon are highly recommended to back up your assertions.

Personally, I don't think so, since the Divine Liturgy is the work of the entire assembly--bishop/priest and faithful--and not just the work of the clergy.  Thus, even the laity can and should in this sense be considered concelebrants and not just receivers of the Holy Mysteries.  But I don't know for certain how the canons/Typikon understand this, and I don't want to push forward my reasoning as authoritative.

I have a better question: why would you commune twice in a day? Huh

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2008, 01:49:40 AM »

I don't know why.  My housemate just posed this question to me as a hypothetical.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2008, 02:07:03 AM »

I don't know why.  My housemate just posed this question to me as a hypothetical.

Lost count of the angels on the pin did he?

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
wynd
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox

Transfiguration

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2008, 03:27:59 PM »

No because by virtue of receiving the first time you haven't fasted.

What about in the case of vesperal liturgies? Is it required to fast the whole day? Our priest tells us to fast from at least noon.
VirSpeluncaeOrthodoxae
Da Orthodox Caveman! aka "Cavey"

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch...for now

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2008, 03:49:23 PM »

My thoughts exactly.

Medieval, backwards, rigid, narrow-minded Traditionalist, Western Rite lover and proud of it! Make my day.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2008, 04:06:55 PM »

Maybe he/she figures it'd be twice the grace, which brings up an interesting question in itself.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 04:07:23 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2008, 04:41:12 PM »

What about in the case of vesperal liturgies? Is it required to fast the whole day? Our priest tells us to fast from at least noon.

I was told that Eucharistic Lent has to be 8 hours long at least. So if You won't to receive Holy Communion eg. on Liturgy of the Presanctified Gifts which starts at 5 pm noon won't be enough. On the other hand if Pashal or Nativity Service begins at night, You may start fasting later.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 04:45:06 PM by mike » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2008, 06:14:02 PM »

Maybe he/she figures it'd be twice the grace,

Grace is the Divine Energies which is God.
God x 2 = God x 1 = God x 43 = God
« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 06:17:53 PM by ozgeorge » Logged

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Jonathan
High Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2008, 06:50:56 PM »

In the Coptic Church at least in addition to the rule on fasting for 9 hrs there is a rule that it can only be once per day.  But if you define it as midnight to midnight we have Communion twice a day quite frequently.  In a few weeks we'll have a Liturgy Sunday morning, but we'll have to end by 10 am so the altar can fast for 9 hr before we start the Liturgy for Eve of Theophany/Epiphany at 7:00 pm.  So from a western perspective it's Sunday morning and Sunday evening, but by our calendar it's Sunday and Eve of Monday.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2008, 07:56:30 PM »

Using that logic, why receive at all? You could receive once, have the grace that is God, and be set, never benefiting from receiving after that.

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2008, 08:04:50 PM »

Using that logic, why receive at all? You could receive once, have the grace that is God, and be set, never benefiting from receiving after that.
Only if you never sin after communing. Grace is the same always, but our ability to receive grace fluctuates with each action for or against God.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2008, 08:27:14 PM »

That's true, though I don't see how either that or the explanation that George gave would rule out taking communion twice on the same day? After all, you could sin during the day after you partake in the morning... what would then prevent you from partaking again in the evening supposing you had the chance? I am not personally in favor of doing so, I'm just trying to figure out the reasons behind not doing so (though I admit that I think Peter gave a good reason in the first post... just wondering if there is more to it).
« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 08:28:08 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2008, 08:41:56 PM »

(Waiting for someone to invoke Aristotelian logic and Neo-scholastic metaphysics, to help disentangle such conundrums as produced by the human intellect. Shocked)

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2008, 10:45:01 PM »

In the Coptic Church at least in addition to the rule on fasting for 9 hrs there is a rule that it can only be once per day.  But if you define it as midnight to midnight we have Communion twice a day quite frequently.  In a few weeks we'll have a Liturgy Sunday morning, but we'll have to end by 10 am so the altar can fast for 9 hr before we start the Liturgy for Eve of Theophany/Epiphany at 7:00 pm.  So from a western perspective it's Sunday morning and Sunday evening, but by our calendar it's Sunday and Eve of Monday.
Following your practice, and our other practice, of defining the liturgical day as Vespers to Vespers, there are actually a few times during the year when we who follow the Byzantine Rite will celebrate the Liturgy twice in one day.  We do so at least for Pascha, Theophany, and Christmas.  However, if Christmas or Theophany falls on a Monday, we will not celebrate the Vesperal Liturgy on Sunday evening, since we already celebrated the Sunday Liturgy that morning.
Tags: Holy Mysteries communion Eucharist 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: