OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 12:19:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Eastern Rite Pope  (Read 1348 times) Average Rating: 0
prodromas
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Under the Green Pope

Greek Orthodox

« on: December 27, 2008, 11:18:49 PM »

I was just curious if an Eastern Catholic Hierarch was still open to election to Pope. If this is possible what would be the ramifications for the church? would the rite the Vatican use be eastern? or would the hierarch have to change the rite he celebrates?

The sins I don't commit are largely due to the weakness of my limbs.

1915-1923 Հայոց Ցեղասպանութիւն ,never again,
ܩܛܠܐ ܕܥܡܐ ܐܬܘܪܝܐ 1920-1914, never again,
השואה  1933-1945, never again,
(1914-1923) Ελληνική Γενοκτονία, never again
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2008, 11:41:16 PM »

To answer the question about rites ... The answer for the Papacy is set in stone:

Pope Pius V, whose pontificate lasted from 1566 to 1572, imposed the liturgical rite of Rome on the Latin Church, in response to the confusion that preceded the Protestant Reformation. A few other Western rites already hundreds of years old were allowed to remain active. In succeeding centuries, a few additional rites or observances have been created or added for the Western Church.

For the most part, Roman Catholics participate in Roman-rite liturgy, codified by the Missale Romanum, established at the Council of Trent and updated by Pope John Paul II, in response to the Second Vatican Council (1962-65).
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2008, 11:45:24 PM »

Yes, Eastern Catholic Hierarchs are eligible to become Pope of Rome.  As to liturgics, since becoming Pope also means becoming Bishop of Rome, he would need to celebrate the Roman Rite for his diocese.  He would also be free to celebrate his native rite or any other for that matter.

Fr. Deacon Lance

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2008, 11:49:54 PM »

The book and film "The Shoes of the Fisherman" was based on this premise:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Shoes_of_the_Fisherman#Plot

Proverbs 22:7
Athanasios
Latin Rite Catholic faithful to the Holy Father and the Magisterium
OC.net guru

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Latin Church Diocese of Youngstown

The Divine Mercy

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 10:54:24 PM »

I was just curious if an Eastern Catholic Hierarch was still open to election to Pope. If this is possible what would be the ramifications for the church? would the rite the Vatican use be eastern? or would the hierarch have to change the rite he celebrates?

Yes, any man who is eligible for ordination may be elected Pope. Today, it is highly unlikely that someone who is not a member of the College of Cardinals will be elected Pope. But, there are Eastern Catholic Cardinals (i.e., Cardinal Sfeir, Patriarch of the Maronites).

In fact, in the conclave that elected Blessed John XIII, Gregory Peter IV Cardinal Aghagianian - Catholicos of Cilicia was very close to being elected Pope.

Through the intercession of Our Lady of Mount Carmel, may Jesus Christ bless you abundantly.

Pray that we may be one, as Christ and His Father are one. (John 17:20ff)

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
Athanasios
Latin Rite Catholic faithful to the Holy Father and the Magisterium
OC.net guru

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Latin Church Diocese of Youngstown

The Divine Mercy

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2008, 10:56:55 PM »

The book and film "The Shoes of the Fisherman" was based on this premise:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Shoes_of_the_Fisherman#Plot

Yes, he was a Ruthenian Bishop. This is life imitating art, because about 10 years later Pope John Paul II, who is Polish, was elected. No one could have imagined at the time that a non-Italian could be elected, certainly not a Slav from a communist country. And I know it doesn't really count, but his mother was Eastern Catholic.

Through the intercession of Our Lady of Mount Carmel, may Jesus Christ bless you abundantly.

Pray that we may be one, as Christ and His Father are one. (John 17:20ff)

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: