OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 02, 2014, 05:21:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Convert hierarchs?  (Read 8980 times) Average Rating: 0
mike
Stratopedarches

« on: December 27, 2008, 03:02:59 PM »

Are there some more modern convert hierarchs apart from metropolitan Jonah?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2008, 03:15:06 PM »

In the OCA alone, two of his closest "contenders" for the metropolate (neither as far I know wanted it, one expressly saying no) were HG Job (from the Vatican), and HG Tikhon (from the episcoplians).  There was Archbp Peter L'Huillier (who is said to have been the foremost expert on canon law), and I seem to recall it being that the majority of the Holy Synod of the OCA are converts.  Our bishop Mark (Antiochian) is from the Pentacostals.  And of course there is Kallistos Ware, Metropolitan Anthony Bloom.  Although not a hierarch, nor yet formally canonized, there was Fr. Seraphim Rose.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2008, 03:20:56 PM »

Thanks. And what about primates?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2008, 05:54:20 PM »

In the OCA alone, two of his closest "contenders" for the metropolate (neither as far I know wanted it, one expressly saying no) were HG Job (from the Vatican), and HG Tikhon (from the episcoplians).  There was Archbp Peter L'Huillier (who is said to have been the foremost expert on canon law), and I seem to recall it being that the majority of the Holy Synod of the OCA are converts.  Our bishop Mark (Antiochian) is from the Pentacostals.  And of course there is Kallistos Ware, Metropolitan Anthony Bloom.  Although not a hierarch, nor yet formally canonized, there was Fr. Seraphim Rose.
Bishop Benjamin of the OCA Diocese of the West (third behind Bp. Jonah and Abp. Job in the recent vote for OCA Metropolitan) also converted to the Orthodox faith--I want to say he was previously Lutheran, but I'm not sure.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2008, 06:10:03 PM »

That's very interesting. I used to think that OCA (especially clergy) mainly consists of descendans of Russian immigrants. I'm glad to see, that I was wrong.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2008, 06:38:41 PM »

That's very interesting. I used to think that OCA (especially clergy) mainly consists of descendans of Russian immigrants. I'm glad to see, that I was wrong.
The OCA really never has consisted of descendants of Russian immigrants. Most of the immigrants who made up the Metropolia (the pre cursor to the OCA) were from your neck of the woods. While they may have come from areas controlled by Russia they are ethnically Poles, Carps, Ukies, and Lemkos.

Joseph
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2008, 06:44:00 PM »

Archbishop Nathaniel was Romanian Greek Catholic priest before coming to the OCA.

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
ialmisry
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2008, 10:42:21 PM »

You mean autocephalous or autonomous?  Not so likely, as only a few areas would have the odds in favor of that: most of those areas have either everyone already Orthodox, at least in name, or places where the dynamics favor a "native" Orthodox.  The OCA comes to mind of course, but perhaps the Churches of Japan or Finland might (the latter I doubt though).  The Czech and Slovak Church must have at one time, as it is almost all convert in origin.  I would say Poland has odds on it happening, but I don't know enough and certainly not as much as you on that.

One place that would be different would be Albania: the present primate is from an Orthodox family, but his likely successor is from a Muslim background.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2008, 10:43:31 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2008, 10:44:16 PM »

The OCA really never has consisted of descendants of Russian immigrants. Most of the immigrants who made up the Metropolia (the pre cursor to the OCA) were from your neck of the woods. While they may have come from areas controlled by Russia they are ethnically Poles, Carps, Ukies, and Lemkos.

Don't forget the Aleuts, Yupiks and other Amerindians.

Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2008, 05:53:40 AM »

The OCA comes to mind of course, but perhaps the Churches of Japan or Finland might (the latter I doubt though).
I think HE bishop Ambrose of Helsinki is a convert from Lutheranism but at least I've never heard that HE Archbishop Leo of Finland would be a convert.
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2008, 06:22:12 AM »

Don't forget HE Dmitri of Dallas and the South - the first convert bishop in the country.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2008, 01:56:25 PM »

Thanks a lot. I was curious about autonomous Churches also.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2008, 10:15:55 AM »

I found that ROCOR's bishop Jerome of Manhattan is also - former Episcopalian.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 10:18:08 AM by mike » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2008, 12:16:29 PM »

Archbishop Seraphim of Canada (OCA) is a convert from Anglicanism.

Religion is a disease, and Orthodoxy is its cure.
Gorazd
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: The Ecumenical Patriarchate of Istanbul and Chambésy

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2010, 02:26:36 PM »

ROCOR in Germany now has a Lutheran-born Archbishop for the second time: Mark (Arndt). The first was Serafim (Lade), who died in 1950.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2010, 02:29:25 PM »

Bishop Tikhon of Philadelphia and Eastern Pennsylvania is also a convert from Episcopalianism.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2010, 02:39:27 PM »

Bishop George of ROCOR was raised Roman Catholic.

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2010, 03:23:41 PM »

I thought Bishop MARK of the Antiochian Diocese of Toledo and the Midwest was a convert from Roman Catholicism.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Robb
OC.net guru

Faith: RC
Jurisdiction: Italian Catholic

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2010, 03:38:36 PM »

Bishop Tikhon (Stephen Fitzgerald), the former head of the OCA diocese of the west was a convert from Lutheranism (I believe).

It seems like an awful lot of Lutherans end up Orthodox. Is there some parallel between their religion and the OC that would lead so many to embrace the Orthodoxy?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 03:38:52 PM by Robb » Logged

Men may dislike truth, men may find truth offensive and inconvenient, men may persecute the truth, subvert it, try by law to suppress it. But to maintain that men have the final power over truth is blasphemy, and the last delusion. Truth lives forever, men do not.
-- Gustave Flaubert
ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2010, 03:48:59 PM »

I thought Bishop MARK of the Antiochian Diocese of Toledo and the Midwest was a convert from Roman Catholicism.
via Pentacostalism.

ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2010, 03:50:44 PM »

Bishop Tikhon (Stephen Fitzgerald), the former head of the OCA diocese of the west was a convert from Lutheranism (I believe).

It seems like an awful lot of Lutherans end up Orthodox. Is there some parallel between their religion and the OC that would lead so many to embrace the Orthodoxy?
Not really, except is is more liturgical for the main than the evangelical and not Calvinist, and has some belief in the real presence and hierarchy-the Lutheran churches of Sweden and Finland claim apostolic succession.

ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2010, 03:52:54 PM »

You mean autocephalous or autonomous?  Not so likely, as only a few areas would have the odds in favor of that: most of those areas have either everyone already Orthodox, at least in name, or places where the dynamics favor a "native" Orthodox.  The OCA comes to mind of course, but perhaps the Churches of Japan or Finland might (the latter I doubt though).  The Czech and Slovak Church must have at one time, as it is almost all convert in origin.  I would say Poland has odds on it happening, but I don't know enough and certainly not as much as you on that.

One place that would be different would be Albania: the present primate is from an Orthodox family, but his likely successor is from a Muslim background.

St. Archbishop Gorazd of Czechoslovakia was a convert from the Vatican, via a sort of Old Catholic group that was begining.

scamandrius
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2010, 04:05:40 PM »

A lot of Lutherans become Orthodox but it seems that the "evangelization" emphasis has been more on Episcopalians as Episcopalians and Orthodox interactions in this country have a long history.  St. Raphael of Brooklyn was very involved in the Episcopalian--Orthodox dialogues, but eventually quit when he could not countenance the Episcopalians' claims that their orders and sacraments were just as valid as Orthodox and could be given to Orthodox Christians without any problems.

On another note, I can't give any specifics about this, but it seems that most Episcopalian clergy who convert start Western Rite parishes while Lutherans generally go for the Eastern Rite.  That's been my observation and may very well not be the full truth.

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

scamandrius
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2010, 04:06:09 PM »

via Pentacostalism.

Interesting. Didn't know that.

ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2010, 04:20:55 PM »

A lot of Lutherans become Orthodox but it seems that the "evangelization" emphasis has been more on Episcopalians as Episcopalians and Orthodox interactions in this country have a long history.  St. Raphael of Brooklyn was very involved in the Episcopalian--Orthodox dialogues, but eventually quit when he could not countenance the Episcopalians' claims that their orders and sacraments were just as valid as Orthodox and could be given to Orthodox Christians without any problems.

On another note, I can't give any specifics about this, but it seems that most Episcopalian clergy who convert start Western Rite parishes while Lutherans generally go for the Eastern Rite.  That's been my observation and may very well not be the full truth.
Not sure if we can tell, given that the WRO option isn't as well advertised as it should. Holy Incarnation WRO in Detroit's priest, Fr. John Fenton, was Lutheran.

scamandrius
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2010, 04:39:59 PM »

Not sure if we can tell, given that the WRO option isn't as well advertised as it should. Holy Incarnation WRO in Detroit's priest, Fr. John Fenton, was Lutheran.

I know Fr. John.  He is the ONLY Lutheran I know of who stuck with Western Rite. The others I know including Fr. Gregory (Hogg) went Eastern Rite. 

The Western Rite church here in Omaha has had two former Episcopalians as its priests.

Robert W
Self-appointed forum herald
Elder

Jurisdiction: Finland

Love is no feeling

« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2010, 06:39:18 PM »

Another convert from Lutheranism is Metropolitan JOHANNES of Nicea, former Archbishop and primate of the Finnish Orthodox Church.
http://orthodoxwiki.org/John_(Rinne)_of_Nicea
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Nikean-metropoliitta-Johannes/207163543488
ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2010, 11:23:49 PM »

Another convert from Lutheranism is Metropolitan JOHANNES of Nicea, former Archbishop and primate of the Finnish Orthodox Church.

Why/how did he translate to Nicea?

CCTE

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Romanian Patriarchate

Patriarch Daniel

« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2010, 01:06:07 AM »

Auxiliary-Bishop Marc ALRIC is a french convert from romano-catholicism. He is the assistant bishop of the metropolitan Iosif, of the Romanian Orthodox Metropolitan see for western and southern Europe.
http://www.mitropolia.eu/ro/site/66/

Sorry if my English is not perfect
Robb
OC.net guru

Faith: RC
Jurisdiction: Italian Catholic

« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2010, 01:21:42 AM »

Lutherans don't really have a structured liturgical service anyway so I guess that there isn't much of a "rite" so to speak for them to be attached too.

Are there still a lot of Baptist and other evangelicals coming into Orthodoxy like there were 20 years ago, or mostly mainline Prots these days?

Men may dislike truth, men may find truth offensive and inconvenient, men may persecute the truth, subvert it, try by law to suppress it. But to maintain that men have the final power over truth is blasphemy, and the last delusion. Truth lives forever, men do not.
-- Gustave Flaubert
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Icon and Cross (international space station)

« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2010, 01:35:14 AM »

Lutherans don't really have a structured liturgical service anyway so I guess that there isn't much of a "rite" so to speak for them to be attached too.

Are there still a lot of Baptist and other evangelicals coming into Orthodoxy like there were 20 years ago, or mostly mainline Prots these days?

Coming into Orthodoxy? Yeah

Being Bishops? Nah...probably not...maybe sub-deacons, deacons, and priests, but being an un-married clergy is not that attractive to alot of lower church protestant groups.....and so most of them settle and are satisfied with the sub-deacon, deacon, and priest spot.

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

http://ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com/
Gorazd
OC.net guru

« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2010, 01:45:36 AM »

Originally coming from Lutheranism myself, I can only say the following: Luther's idea was to restore original Christianity, as it was before Rome changed some things. Due to the lack of information available at his time, he failed of course. But some Lutherans still take that original idea seriously, and thus they develop an interest in the Old Church or go as far as joining the Orthodox Church.

Here in Germany, many conservative Lutherans are also quite liturgical (and every Lutheran service is supposed to be structered - nothing really informal there) , that includes both "high church Lutherans" and confessional Lutherans. The probably most "high-ranking" German convert is Karl Christian Felmy, who is the son of a High Church Lutheran pastor.
Karl Christian Felmy himself used to be professor of Lutheran theology and dean of a Lutheran theological faculty. In his academical work, he published a lot about Orthodox matters, and four years after retiring, he became Orthodox.

Actually, most converts here seem to have been Lutheran before, at least the ones who were actively religious before. Roman Catholics who are dissatisfied with their local parish (and most of their parishes are quite Cafeteria Catholic) rather tend to join the Tridentine Rite, Opus Dei, Neocatechumenal Way or even the Uniates.
Robert W
Elder

Love is no feeling

« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2010, 02:33:29 AM »

Metropolitan Johannes is an old man. It's doubtful if he even has the strength to conduct a liturgy. He resigned as Archbishop because of his age, and got appointed by the Patriarchate as titular Metropolitan of Nicea. He has not moved to Turkey or anything but is living in Finland.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 02:34:04 AM by Robert W » Logged
ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2010, 02:40:22 AM »

Metropolitan Johannes is an old man. It's doubtful if he even has the strength to conduct a liturgy. He resigned as Archbishop because of his age, and got appointed by the Patriarchate as titular Metropolitan of Nicea. He has not moved to Turkey or anything but is living in Finland.
That's a shame.  Nicea is in fine retirement country.

Gorazd
OC.net guru

« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2010, 06:22:14 AM »

I agree with ialmisry. Finland is a wonderful place to be, but isn't the climate in Winter a bit hard for the old and sick?

Look at Iznik (Nicaea), I would love to retire there.
Robert W
Elder

Love is no feeling

« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2010, 07:25:21 AM »

Grin Grin Grin Gorazd and ialmisry , you are both forgetting that Metropolitan Johannes is Finnish, speaks Finnish and has his close ones in Finland. Nicea is a nice place and all but they all speak Turkish there and he wouldn't know anyone over there. As far as I have understood Nicea is a titular see because all the Orthodox of that area had been forced to leave long ago. I wouldn't go live there in my old age, I would like to be at home.  Grin
Gorazd
OC.net guru

« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2010, 07:56:46 AM »

Here in Germany, many people retire to Turkey (or Spain). And even though Greeks were forced out around 1920, I am sure there are some Russians and Ukrainians in Nicaea nowadays, like all over Turkey. Does the older generation of Finnish priests still know Russian?

Anyway, it would be cool to have a bishop in the city of the Holy Council.
ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2010, 10:21:38 AM »

Grin Grin Grin Gorazd and ialmisry , you are both forgetting that Metropolitan Johannes is Finnish, speaks Finnish and has his close ones in Finland. Nicea is a nice place and all but they all speak Turkish there and he wouldn't know anyone over there. As far as I have understood Nicea is a titular see because all the Orthodox of that area had been forced to leave long ago. I wouldn't go live there in my old age, I would like to be at home.  Grin

I know he is Finnish and speaks Finnish. That's why I know he has his Nokia.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhxZoV3t61c
(there's a section that has been cut, talking about Finns can only talk to each other on the phone, hence the high cell phone use).

podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2010, 10:41:12 AM »

The late Bishop John of ACROD was a convert from the Byzantine Catholic Church as well.
Robert W
Elder

Love is no feeling

« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2010, 10:58:45 AM »

"The Finnish male is very prone to self pity" HAHAHA  Grin I love it.

Back to topic (-ish  Roll Eyes), if there are enough Orthodox people in Nicea to have a functioning see there then a more virile bishop should be appointed.
Jake C
Catechumen

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Diocese of Wichita and Mid-America

« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2010, 12:23:30 PM »

Roman Catholics who are dissatisfied with their local parish (and most of their parishes are quite Cafeteria Catholic) rather tend to join the Tridentine Rite, Opus Dei, Neocatechumenal Way or even the Uniates.

I'm curious, could you tell me what exactly the "Neocatechumenal Way" is? I had a classmate in college who said she was a "Neocat". I'm curious as to what this group is.

Blessed art Thou, O Lord, teach me Thy statutes.
Gorazd
OC.net guru

« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2010, 01:05:42 PM »

Roman Catholics who are dissatisfied with their local parish (and most of their parishes are quite Cafeteria Catholic) rather tend to join the Tridentine Rite, Opus Dei, Neocatechumenal Way or even the Uniates.

I'm curious, could you tell me what exactly the "Neocatechumenal Way" is? I had a classmate in college who said she was a "Neocat". I'm curious as to what this group is.

You might just have a look at the Wikipedia article...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neocatechumenal_Way
scamandrius
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2010, 04:37:36 PM »

That's not quite true.  I grew up in a fairly conservative parish where the Liturgy was celebrated every other week in a modified form of the Rite of St. Gregory.  However, over time, more praise band music and praise worship crept in.  There are still many parishes (a dwindling minority) especially in the LCMS (Missouri Synod Lutherans) who still use the traditional Liturgy (from the LH of 1943 which itself is a reprint of the one from 1905).  I grant that there are few of them, but I think the time is ripe in the LCMS (especially following their assembly this year where it is very likely they will get rid of their progressive disaster of a president for the past 12 years) for Liturgical renewal using the same type of Liturgy the Germans brought over from Saxony in the 1860s which was being phased out by the unionists over there.

Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2010, 04:48:24 PM »

I don't know about American Lutherans but at least for me Finnish Lutheran mass seems pretty much like Novus Ordo. Here's a video about pretty typical Finnish Lutheran mass:

http://areena.yle.fi/video/1002570

Starlight
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of USA (Ecumenical Patriarchate)

« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2010, 11:20:34 PM »

Hieromartyr of our times, Bishop Paul de Ballester-Convallier, a former Roman Catholic: http://www.orthodoxwiki.org/Paul_%28de_Ballester-Convallier%29_of_Nazianzus

Archbishop Jonah of Kampala and all Uganda, Patriarchate of Alexandria

Metropolitan Ieronymos of Mwanza, Patriarchate of Alexandria

Archbishop Gabriel (de Vylder) of Archdiocese of Russian Orthodox Churches in Western Europe - the Ecumenical Patriarchate, also former Roman Catholic

Bishop Daniel (Zelynsky) of UOC of USA, former Eastern Rite Catholic Deacon.

Archbishop Theodosious (Attalah Hanna) of Jerusalem Patriarchate, former Muslim.

For example, Bishop Athenagoras (Peckstadt) of Synope, Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Belgium, and Metropolitan Daniel (Nushiro) of Tokyo and all Japan were already born into Orthodox convert families.

Is Bishop Dimitrios (Couchell) of Xanthos, GOA, retired, also a convert?

There are also some Heirarchs in Ukraine, who were raised as Atheists.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 11:21:45 PM by Starlight » Logged
Tags: bishops 
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: