OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 03:13:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: English Liturgy in Venice  (Read 1620 times) Average Rating: 0
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« on: October 07, 2011, 07:38:51 PM »

Does anyone know of English language Sunday Divine Liturgies celebrated anywhere in Venice, Italy?

If not, would it still be encouraged/required for me to attend an Italian or Greek Liturgy? Would attending a liturgy in a foreign language grant any spiritual benefit?

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
Andrew Crook
formerly known as AveChriste11
High Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2011, 02:36:12 AM »

The liturgy is the liturgy, dude.  You should go to whichever Divine Liturgy is available to you, and if you've been Orthodox for long enough you may be able to have a general idea of what they're saying or doing.  I suppose it helps when you're in the Greek Archdiocese, then you've heard the Greek for long enough.. to have a general idea of what they're talking about or singing, or doing. 

Whosoever will be saved, before all things it is necessary that he hold the catholic faith; Which faith except every one do keep whole and undefiled, without doubt he shall perish everlastingly. And the catholic faith is this: That we worship one God in Trinity, and Trinity in Unity
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2011, 02:40:00 AM »

http://www.ortodossia.it/catt-gioe.html -

The Greek Orthodox Cathedral of Saint George in Venice, known as San Giorgio dei Greci, is the oldest and historically the most important church of the Orthodox Diaspora. It has been for centuries one of the most splendid Orthodox temples in the world...

Have no idea where it might be, but darn, I wish I had seen it when I was in Venice, recently. <grrrrr>

Sorry, this doesn't answer your question regarding English Liturgy.  laugh
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 02:42:31 AM by Riddikulus » Logged

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2011, 09:45:30 AM »

Why should it be in English?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
mabsoota
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2011, 10:20:44 AM »

more info on that cathedral (thanks to google):
http://www.filcoo.com/en/italy/tg/chiesa_di_san_giorgio_dei_greci_venezia_guide.htm
maybe william doesn't speak italian so is looking for something in english.
i suggest going there and even if u don't understand much, stay behind after and ask people (ideally in italian, to be polite) if they speak english and then get chatting. it may be of great spiritual benefit.

i was once in czech republic for 3 days, and i knew only 2 or 3 phrases of czech, but i attended a liturgy in what i think was a mixture of czech and old church slavonic. by the end, i had learnt to say 'Lord have mercy' in russian! i understood v little, but my spirit was lifted up a lot.
after i hung around looking for people to talk to, and heard 2 women talking in a language i spoke, so one of them kindly translated for me when i wanted to exchange a few words with the priest.
eventually the priest remembered some english (it seemed he had learnt it a long time ago) and i found out he had read books by our coptic patriarch, shenouda 3rd! he really liked his books, and it was lovely to hear that in the heart of europe. we had a short, but lovely chat, and i left feeling spiritually full.
 Smiley
i also went to a catholic service while i was there, but on that occasion did not find anyone to talk to because of the language barrier. still, it was nice. so have a nice trip, and let us know how it goes
 Smiley
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2011, 02:38:14 PM »

Part of the Greek Archdiocese of Italy's website was in English, so I thought that maybe there'd be English services somewhere.
Non parlo italiano. Sad

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
dcommini
Tha mi sgulan na Trianaid
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2011, 04:57:44 AM »

Part of the Greek Archdiocese of Italy's website was in English, so I thought that maybe there'd be English services somewhere.
Non parlo italiano. Sad

here is a link to the Liturgy in Italian
http://digilander.libero.it/ortodossia/Litourgia.htm

If you use google chrome as your browser you can translate the page into English. You could print the page out the translate the page into English and mark the translation in needed spots on your hard copy to help you keep up. (or you can use your favorite online translator)

You could contact the parish you wish to attend in Venice and find out if they have service books in Italian and English, the Greek parish I used to attend had service books that had Greek on one page and English on the next to help keep up - but I don't know how likely that would be in Italy...

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2012, 08:17:12 PM »

Okay, I'll be taking some Italian lessons, I'm almost proficient in Spanish which is pretty close linguistically and I'm pretty familiar with the DL by now so I'll probably be all right.

mabsoota
Archon

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2012, 02:36:39 PM »

so when are u going to venice? it seems like u have made very careful preparation.
 Smiley
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2012, 09:15:58 PM »

so when are u going to venice? it seems like u have made very careful preparation.
 Smiley

Giugno.

School trip with my mom.

mabsoota
Archon

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2012, 07:54:22 AM »

i suppose that means 'june'?
keep up the italian studies. i have been to italy a few times but found i didn't actually need italian as there were plenty of romanians to ask for directions and plenty of arabs in the fast food shops. next time i go, i will go to church (was visiting non church attending friends last time) and go back to this thread to improve my italian!
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: