OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 20, 2014, 09:14:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Epiphany in the Orthodox Church?  (Read 1485 times) Average Rating: 0
Eugenio
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I love them all

« on: December 26, 2008, 10:19:53 PM »

So, when I was a western Christian, I always enjoyed the Feast of Epiphany, when the Wise Men of the East visited Jesus Christ, and became the first people (aside from the Theotokos) to acknowledge his Kingship.

So is this ever observed in the Orthodox Church? Does it happen the same day as Theophany? Or is it strictly a western tradition?
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Moderated
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2008, 10:32:22 PM »

So, when I was a western Christian, I always enjoyed the Feast of Epiphany, when the Wise Men of the East visited Jesus Christ, and became the first people (aside from the Theotokos) to acknowledge his Kingship.

So is this ever observed in the Orthodox Church? Does it happen the same day as Theophany? Or is it strictly a western tradition?

LOL.  Sorry, but if you think Jan. 6 is a big deal in the West, wait until you see what the East does.
Btw, it celebrates the Baptism in the Jordan.  The Three Kings is one of the Synaxis after Nativity.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
hema1999
Moderated

Faith: use
Jurisdiction: no

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 09:08:23 AM »

Epiphany (Greek: επιφάνεια, "the appearance; miraculous phenomenon") is a Christian feast intended to celebrate the 'shining forth' or revelation of God to mankind in human form, in the person of Jesus.

The observance had its origins in the eastern Christian churches, and included the birth of Jesus; the visit of the Magi, or Wise Men (traditionally named Caspar, Melchior and Balthasar) who arrived in Bethlehem; and all of Jesus' childhood events, up to his baptism in the Jordan by John the Baptist.
==============

advertising removed.

+FrChris
Admin

« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 09:19:33 AM by FrChris » Logged
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 10:02:35 AM »

Epiphany/Theophany, Easter/Pascha, Christmas/Nativity, tomato/tomahto.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Subdeacon Michael

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 10:07:59 AM »

Not quite, Shanghaiski.  Epiphany in the west and Theophany in the east did develop differently.  If you read the Synaxarion entries for the dates surrounding Christmas and Theophany, you get a good idea of how this came to be.  I blogged a little about this in January.

M

'There is nothing upon earth holier, higher, grander, more solemn, more life-giving than the Liturgy. The church, at this particular time, becomes an earthly heaven; those who officiate represent Christ Himself, the angels, the cherubim, seraphim and apostles.' - St John of Kronstadt
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 12:03:54 PM »

I am very much aware of this, Michael, but I was referring to terminology. Theophany and Epiphany may commemorate (slightly) different events, but I think it's going a bit far to call them two completely different things.

If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Thomas
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2010, 12:32:36 PM »

Actually until recently several orthodox jurisidictions used the term Epiphany rather than Theophany when English was the spoken and written language of the article or service for the feast on January 6. At times the same article will use the two term at differing points of the same article Only recently  has the term Theophany begun to be used more as many convert seek to go to the original  traditional term utilizing a word that was not found in English, "Theophany". It really is ironic because both words are actually Greek and were used in the Greek through the past.

Thomas
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 09:46:09 AM by Thomas » Logged

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Subdeacon Michael

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2010, 12:35:35 PM »

I suppose it's a bit like Assumption and Dormition.  The former does appear in Eastern Orthodox terminology (the Latin church not having the monopoly on the word, despite its differing emphasis), but the latter now seems to be more common.

M

'There is nothing upon earth holier, higher, grander, more solemn, more life-giving than the Liturgy. The church, at this particular time, becomes an earthly heaven; those who officiate represent Christ Himself, the angels, the cherubim, seraphim and apostles.' - St John of Kronstadt
Cymbyz
Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2010, 01:15:13 PM »

While most Orthodox believe in the assumption of the Theotokos, the Latiin term Dormition is actually the exact translation of the Greek term Kimisis, which is the title of the feast.

The end of the world
is as near as the day of your death;
watch and pray.

Yahoo! & WLM ID: Owen
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2010, 02:31:32 PM »

The sticking point with "Assumption" is that it does not in itself make reference to the actual death of the Mother of God.

Cymbyz
Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2010, 03:50:01 PM »

That's a very important point.  I know my pastor loves to use the icon of the Dormition to teach the Faithful what Orthodoxy believes about death and the eternal destiny of the saved.

The end of the world
is as near as the day of your death;
watch and pray.

Yahoo! & WLM ID: Owen
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2010, 03:52:32 PM »

While most Orthodox believe in the assumption of the Theotokos, the Latiin term Dormition is actually the exact translation of the Greek term Kimisis, which is the title of the feast.
Are you saying that the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary up into heaven (which I think is like Elijah-without dieing?) is a "required" doctrine of Catholicism (It was pronounced ex-Cathedra by the Pope), but that this doctrine is not a required belief in Orthodox, that we MUST BELIEVE she bodily ascended to heaven, in such a way as other mortals don't (I am not sure how to express it better)? If so, I think you are right that it is not required, although something like it appears to be a tradition in our church too, regarding the Dormition (Falling Asleep) of the Theotokos.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 03:53:42 PM by rakovsky » Logged
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2010, 04:10:22 PM »

Are you saying that the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary up into heaven (which I think is like Elijah-without dieing?) is a "required" doctrine of Catholicism (It was pronounced ex-Cathedra by the Pope), but that this doctrine is not a required belief in Orthodox, that we MUST BELIEVE she bodily ascended to heaven, in such a way as other mortals don't (I am not sure how to express it better)? If so, I think you are right that it is not required, although something like it appears to be a tradition in our church too, regarding the Dormition (Falling Asleep) of the Theotokos.

The tradition is that she died and later, when St. Thomas arrived, they found the tomb empty, and they understood that she had arisen. If she did not ascend bodily after resurrection (like the Apostle John, by the way), we would have relics of them. But we have no relics. There are a few other saints like this as well. The kontakon for the Dormition starts "Neither the grave nor death could hold the Theotokos."

rakovsky
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2010, 04:21:21 PM »

The tradition is that she died and later, when St. Thomas arrived, they found the tomb empty, and they understood that she had arisen. If she did not ascend bodily after resurrection (like the Apostle John, by the way), we would have relics of them. But we have no relics. There are a few other saints like this as well. The kontakon for the Dormition starts "Neither the grave nor death could hold the Theotokos."

I do not dispute this. I think ancients had a tradition of putting a body in an ossiary tomb and then removing it a week later. Maybe someone would have removed it in the interim. But who? I assume it would have been a family member and the apostles would have known of this. So the empty tomb is evidence. On the other hand, I am not sure - is it a required , infallible belief like in the Catholic Church?
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2010, 11:43:34 PM »

Well, I would think it would take more effort not to believe it, since one would have to put oneself at odds with those Fathers and teachers who proclaim this, and the liturgical texts themselves. I am not sure if there is an anathema in regard to those who disbelieve this, but there is much in Orthodoxy that is absolutely essential which is not expressed in the dogmatic canons, but can be found in liturgical texts and in the totality of holy tradition. The holy tradition must be embraced in its entirety. One cannot pick and choose. There may be things which one must wrestle with, but eventually one has to submit to the Church, for she knows best, having received revelation from God.

ialmisry
Moderated
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2010, 12:00:34 AM »

I do not dispute this. I think ancients had a tradition of putting a body in an ossiary tomb and then removing it a week later. Maybe someone would have removed it in the interim. But who? I assume it would have been a family member and the apostles would have known of this. So the empty tomb is evidence. On the other hand, I am not sure - is it a required , infallible belief like in the Catholic Church?
No, the bones were removed a year or so later. It takes time.

I don't think it is dogma as the Vatican has it, as it wasn't proclaimed from the very beginning, the Church of Jerusalem keeping it to themselves.  I converted not believing it.  Now, I can't find it making sense not to believe it.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
ialmisry
Moderated
Hypatos

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2010, 12:07:50 AM »

Btw, The blessing of the waters on the eve of the Epiphany: the Greek, Latin, Coptic, Syriac and Russian ... By John Patrick Crichton-Stuart Bute (Marquess of), Sir Ernest Alfred Wallis Budge
http://books.google.com/books?id=FgEPAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA43&dq=Great+Blessing+of+Water+Coptic&hl=en&ei=bTc9TNDeJ8T_nQfCpf3dDg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=10&ved=0CFwQ6AEwCQ#v=onepage&q&f=false

Subdeacon Michael

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2010, 12:18:03 PM »

The sticking point with "Assumption" is that it does not in itself make reference to the actual death of the Mother of God.

That's right.  However, one could just as easily say that the sticking point with the term Dormition is that it does not in itself make reference to the resurrection of the Mother of God.  Personally, I use the terms interchangeably, depending on which will be more readily understood by my audience.  Traditional Anglicans tend to be more comfortable with Dormition, partly because some of them were unhappy with the associations Assumption has with the Latin definition and partly because some of the early "enhanced" materials tobe used with the Prayer Book referred on the 15th of August to the Falling Asleep of the Blessed Virgin Mary.  Roman Catholics and Anglo-Catholics seem happier with Assumption.  Many Eastern Orthodox people don't know the word Assumption so I just use Dormition when talking to them.  Western Rite Orthodox tend to use one or the other depending on which tradition they're from.

But back to your comment...

The 20th-century Latin definition of their dogma of the Assumption of the Mother of God does indeed deliberately leave open the question of whether or not she reposed first.  The actual papal pronouincement uses some vague term such as, 'at the end of her earthly life', which could be read either way.  This was the matter of some debate in the Latin church at one time.  I am told, though, by a couple of Catholic deacons who are both scholars of Latin theology, that most of their theologians today and general thought on the matter says that she did indeed repose before she was assumed.

M

Tags: Epiphany Theophany 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: