Author Topic: Romanian Liturgy text  (Read 3623 times)

Offline Anastasios

• Webdespota
  • Administrator
  • Merarches
  • Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina
    • AnastasiosHudson.com
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist
Romanian Liturgy text
« on: December 23, 2008, 03:37:59 PM »
I need to learn how to do some parts of the liturgy in Romanian quick.  Does anyone have a link to the text online of the Romanian liturgy?  Side by side with English would be great but if not I can figure it out.

Is Romanian pronounced as it is written? I hope so, because then I can learn a few litanies and exclamations pretty quickly.

Thanks

Fr Anastasios
Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism and may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.

Offline wynd

• High Elder
  • Transfiguration
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
Re: Romanian Liturgy text
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2008, 04:40:39 PM »

Offline GabrieltheCelt

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox OCA
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2008, 05:06:53 PM »
Fr. A,

Here's a small lesson on pronunciation.

Doamne miluieşte.

The 'oa' in the word Doamne is a dipthong and pronounced very close to 'wah' in English.  Whenever you see a diacritical mark under the letters 't' or 's' (in fact, it will never be found under any other letter), it will be pronounced as 'sh' for the 'ş' and 'ts' (think the last two letters in the word cats) respectively.  Also, when the letter 'e' follows the letter 'ce' it's pronounced 'che' as in the first two letters in the word church.  When you see a diacritical mark above the letter 'a' (it'll look like a smile or a 'v') it affects the pronunciation of that letter as well. 'A' will be pronounced 'uh' (as in the last two letters in the word duh). 

So, using our example phrase above, it's pronounced 'Dowahmne mee-luee-eshte' and means "Lord, have mercy". 

Also, the letter 'j' is pronounced like the first two letters in the actress' name Zha Zha Gabor found in the phrase Doamne ajuta meaning something like 'God help us' or 'thank God'.
"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying

Offline Anastasios

• Webdespota
  • Administrator
  • Merarches
  • Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina
    • AnastasiosHudson.com
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2008, 05:15:26 PM »
Thanks to both of you. That is what I need!
Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism and may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Hypatos
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2008, 05:29:03 PM »
Fr. A,

Here's a small lesson on pronunciation.

Doamne miluieşte.

The 'oa' in the word Doamne is a dipthong and pronounced very close to 'wah' in English.  Whenever you see a diacritical mark under the letters 't' or 's' (in fact, it will never be found under any other letter), it will be pronounced as 'sh' for the 'ş' and 'ts' (think the last two letters in the word cats) respectively.  Also, when the letter 'e' follows the letter 'ce' it's pronounced 'che' as in the first two letters in the word church
Watch out: in che, chi, ch is not "ch" but "k."  Similarly, ghe is hard g.

When you see a diacritical mark above the letter 'a' (it'll look like a smile or a 'v') it affects the pronunciation of that letter as well. 'A' will be pronounced 'uh' (as in the last two letters in the word duh). 

So, using our example phrase above, it's pronounced 'Dowahmne mee-luee-eshte' and means "Lord, have mercy". 

Also, the letter 'j' is pronounced like the first two letters in the actress' name Zha Zha Gabor found in the phrase Doamne ajuta meaning something like 'God help us' or 'thank God'.

This is pretty much all you need:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romanian_alphabet

I'll just add that  â Î î is the same as Ы in Russian.  If you have any questions, PM or post.
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth