OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 29, 2014, 04:01:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bible in Ukrainian  (Read 1330 times) Average Rating: 0
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« on: December 23, 2008, 12:00:45 PM »

I'd like some comments from Ukranians on the translations of Metropolitan Ilarion and Patriarch (KP) Filaret's.  How far are they polished Ukranian, having the same effect as the KJV or RSV in English?  Or are they more like the "Good News Bible?"  Do they have any influence on Modern Ukranian?

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 04:23:39 PM »

Hard for me to answer, because the only Ukrainian translation of the *FULL* text of the Bible (its Protestant version) that I've ever read is the Ohienko's translation. I read a couple of New Testament translations and Psalms done by others (notably Hryhoriy and Dianne Derkach), but it did not particularly impress me as something better than Ohienko's translation.

Overall, I think, Ohienko's text is very emotional - I never saw, for example, so many exclamation signs in the English or Russian versions of the Bible that I read. But that's a minor thing; I believe it's a very good solid Ukrainian translation, quite "palatable" for a modern Ukrainian speaker like myself. Of course, not being a scholar in Hebrew or Greek, I cannot judge about the precision of the interpretor's job.

Love never fails.
Jake

Faith: Eastern orthodox

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 10:34:00 AM »

Hard for me to answer, because the only Ukrainian translation of the *FULL* text of the Bible (its Protestant version) that I've ever read is the Ohienko's translation. I read a couple of New Testament translations and Psalms done by others (notably Hryhoriy and Dianne Derkach), but it did not particularly impress me as something better than Ohienko's translation.

The publication of Metropolitan Hilarion Ohienko's Ukrainian translation was funded by the British and Foreign Bible Society which explains why the Apocrypha is not included.  It is a miracle that the Bible was ever published.  At one point when Metropolitan Hilarion was fleeing Volynia from the Russians he saw his 50 boxes of notes on the Bible put on a different train car and he wept for fear that his handwritten copy notes would be lost.  They were for a time and then found.  This event was actually put into "Ripley's Believe it or Note" in the 1950's.  My grandparents cut it out and saved it.
All Metropolitan Hilarion note books and all his dictionaries are in the Church archives in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada.

I believe it's a very good solid Ukrainian translation, quite "palatable" for a modern Ukrainian speaker like myself. Of course, not being a scholar in Hebrew or Greek, I cannot judge about the precision of the interpretor's job.

Metropolitan Hilarion's doctorate was in Philology and his specialty was Biblical Hebrew.  My family has the 1962 Annotated Version of his translation with footnotes and references to Hebrew words and also Church Slavonic words used in previous translation.  His knowledge of Biblical Greek too was good, but his first love was Hebrew.  He was a remarkable man who overcame problems or let us say endured difficult times and continued his work of translations.  That was his forte not original theological thought.  And he was a very emotional man.  He loved the litrugy and edited and published the liturgical books for the Ukrianian Orthodox Church of Canada.  He often quoted from memory liturgical hymns.  A truly remarkable man.

However, he was a man of his times.  No doubt other scholars with access to more materials that He had, will produce another version of the Bible.  After all he was only one man working alone, not a committee of scholars living in peaceful times.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 10:36:53 AM by Jake » Logged
Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 11:14:48 AM »

^^ Jake, I am most blessed in that Metropoltan Hilarion was a close (albeit much older) friend and spiritual Father of my wife's father, Mykola Veremko, when he (my wife's father) was an adolescent boy in the late 1920-s - early 1930-s. At that time, Metr. Hilarion was serving and living in Kholm (present-day Chelm, Poland), and my father-in-law's family lived in a village near that city.

Love never fails.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: